DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 2 Predictions

Guest Wolfbrother31

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Teleporting is how they get there in tGH...

(Sigh) ? I was referring to just having him appear in Falme with no scenes of him actually going there not using the portal stones. They don't even teleport people you have to enter one and leave another to go somewhere.

44 minutes ago, EmreY said:

I think portal stones are too similar (even if they're really not) to thw ways, so I think they'll go straight to gates.

I can see portal stones being used if they have Rand go to an alternate reality or to jump from one place to another almost instantly. If they do not do this, no need for them. 
With how quickly they took the Ways in season 1, I kind of agree with you. Fat travel will be the Ways or gates. No flicker, flicker, flicker here to confuse the audience. 

I wonder if we will still have grolm?  How many of the Seanchan’s creatures will make it into the show?  If they do make it in, how many will be seen in season 2?

On 1/24/2022 at 8:42 PM, Pukel-man said:

I know one that that won't happen in season two - Rand can't defeat High Lord Turok in an epic sword duel. He hasn't had a shred of training with that heron-mark blade, and the only thing he can really do with it is seppuku.

He's going to walk all the way back home and have Tam teach him.

It is (sort of) on the way between Shienar and Falme.

Either that, or he's going to remember that the trollocs got to Two Rivers via the Ways, and figure he can do the same.

He'll sort of remember how Moiraine did something he couldn't see, and read what only an Ogier can read, and pop up right at home in Manetheren.  He'll have months to learn the sword before he skips over the mountains to the coast.

Edited by Andra

One of the issues with Season 1, which I’m afraid they are likely to repeat with Season 2, is trying to cover too many locations / settings.

each episode it was like watching a slightly different show, which ended up being quite confusing and didn’t do any of the settings justice. 

in that I think you draw a stark parallel with GOT, which probably comes across as a lot better in world building etc because it just is a lot more streamlined as a story - characters are in the same location for seasons at a time and while a lot might happen in terms of plot developments, they don’t really move around or introduce a ton of new locations /world building  much 

I’m concerned Season 2 might repeat the same error by trying to cram Fal Dara, Cahirien, Caemlyn, Tar Valon, Falme etc into 8 episodes 

2 hours ago, Rogue One said:

I'm concerned Season 2 might repeat the same error by trying to cram Fal Dara, Cahirien, Caemlyn, Tar Valon, Falme etc into 8 episodes 

Agree with the critique but I think that's a weakness that the book HAS so many places.  To clarify, that's not a weakness in the book proper but in that book getting adapted to the big screen.  It's a travel book.  

Let's look at the full 3 film Lord of the Rings.  We see as big set pieces The Shire, Bree, Rivendale, Isengard, Lorien, Rohan, Gondor.   That's just the towns and cities, not counting Moria, Mordor or other places that had solid development as locations.

That's 7 major villages or cities on a $281 Billion dollar budget

EotW has Emond's FIeld, Baerlon, White Bridge, Four Kings, Caemlyn, Fal Dara.  Not counting the set pieces like Shadar Logoth, the Tinker Caravan, The Eye.

6 major villages or cities on an $80 billion dollar budget. 

Toss in things like the Wheel having much more intense and visual CGI and magic and.   Yeah...

For Book 2.  We have travel of course, but when it comes to set pieces we have that are new will be Cairhien and Falme.  Caemlyn will likely be ignored, we're likely getting Elayne, Gawyn and Galad already at the tower.  Tar Valon and Fal Dara are already covered and established now.

After it starts getting better.  Book 3 really only has Tar Valon, Caemlyn, Tear.  Book 4 is Tear, Tar Valon and Rhuidean.  Book 5 is Rhuidean, Cairhienin and Caemlyn, etc.  It starts being more stationary.

Edited by KakitaOCU

i so appreciate everybody who put energy into this thread.  Having come back to it after being away and pickling in my own disappointment about the season I mostly stand by my previous post.  However here is my mashup of the most likely scenarios from everybody else.  Ignoring all the specious, humorous. sarcastic, etc takes gets me to this summary of our progress (not consensus) to date:

The season will likely be a mashup of TGH and TDR.

The super girls will spend time in TV training and meet Elayne, and Gawayn. Egwene will fall for Gawayn and start her career as a dreamer.   Matt will get captured by the Aes Sedai.  Liandrin will winkle them out of the tower per the books and they will  rescue and take Matt with them.  They will go to Tear which is under siege by the Seanchan.  The Stone stands.  Egw is captured per the books.  

Perrin, resurrected Loial and Ingtar, and the Sniffer Elyas chase after Fain.  Perrin realizes that the only way to save himself is to embrace the way of the leaf.  Elyas recognizes a wolf brother and tries to convert him to the way of the wolf.  This continues the whole season. 

Moraine will struggle with the loss of the source and seek out Verin.  Lan will saddle the horses  and do all the camp chores as befits a male warrior.   Verin will give Moraine the clues she needs to untie the shield.   She will also heal Lan who badly wounds himself when cutting firewood with his sword.  

Rand will wander the blight learning the sword by killing shadow spawn. Eventually he meets Selene who Travels with him to Tear to take Callandor.  No portal stones or worlds of if.  

The last episode has the white cloaks charging the Seanchan, Matt blowing the horn and the hero's throwing back the Seanchan.  Meanwhile Rand,  Perrin et al, sneak into the Stone and grab the sword. There is a Shadow spawn attack which Rand defeats per the book.  Per the books we see the forsaken working at cross purposes.   It may be that E7 is the repelling of the Seanchan and E8 is the taking of the Stone if they want two action episodes back to back..  There is no Turak but Rand does stab Ishy

BTW there will be little of the punishments of novices in the tower.  We all know that corporal punishment is not an effective way to modify behavior.  Novices who misbehave are told to stand in the corner, are grounded in their room, or sent to their room without supper.  If they are really to be punished then it is all three.    This is where Rafes enlightened view of the world will really make the story realistic. 

4 hours ago, Spiritweaver1 said:

i so appreciate everybody who put energy into this thread.  Having come back to it after being away and pickling in my own disappointment about the season I mostly stand by my previous post.  However here is my mashup of the most likely scenarios from everybody else.  Ignoring all the specious, humorous. sarcastic, etc takes gets me to this summary of our progress (not consensus) to date:

The super girls will spend time in TV training and meet Elayne, and Gawayn. Egwene will fall for Gawayn and start her career as a dreamer.   Matt will get captured by the Aes Sedai.  Liandrin will winkle them out of the tower per the books and they will  rescue and take Matt with them.  They will go to Tear which is under siege by the Seanchan.  The Stone stands.  Egw is captured per the books.  

Perrin, resurrected Loial and Ingtar, and the Sniffer Elyas chase after Fain.  Perrin realizes that the only way to save himself is to embrace the way of the leaf.  Elyas recognizes a wolf brother and tries to convert him to the way of the wolf.  This continues the whole season. 

Moraine will struggle with the loss of the source and seek out Verin.  Lan will saddle the horses  and do all the camp chores as befits a male warrior.   Verin will give Moraine the clues she needs to untie the shield.   She will also heal Lan who badly wounds himself when cutting firewood with his sword.  

Rand will wander the blight learning the sword by killing shadow spawn. Eventually he meets Selene who Travels with him to Tear to take Callandor.  No portal stones or worlds of if.  

The last episode has the white cloaks charging the Seanchan, Matt blowing the horn and the hero's throwing back the Seanchan.  Meanwhile Rand,  Perrin et al, sneak into the Stone and grab the sword. There is a Shadow spawn attack which Rand defeats per the book.  Per the books we see the forsaken working at cross purposes.   It may be that E7 is the repelling of the Seanchan and E8 is the taking of the Stone if they want two action episodes back to back..  There is no Turak but Rand does stab Ishy

BTW there will be little of the punishments of novices in the tower.  We all know that corporal punishment is not an effective way to modify behavior.  Novices who misbehave are told to stand in the corner, are grounded in their room, or sent to their room without supper.  If they are really to be punished then it is all three.    This is where Rafes enlightened view of the world will really make the story realistic. 

And somewhere between the Blight and Falme, Rand will find Bela.  Then ride her the rest of the way there.  Or wherever.

18 hours ago, Spiritweaver1 said:

Love your humorous take on Lan and Tar Valon's behavior modification practices.  Personally I will miss the spankings ? 

As for Lan,  I truly hope Lan gets to kick butt throughout the season not just here and there. 

On 2/1/2022 at 12:39 PM, Spiritweaver1 said:

I really hope they still have Rand in Falme. The fight with Turak and then battling Ishy in the sky. It would be like cutting Dumais Wells for me.

31 minutes ago, EmreY said:

I fear I must disagree.  Turok is a generic baddie, and fighting in the sky is liable to look really cheesy on screen. 

Turak is far more than just a generic baddie.  For one, he's the actual leader of the Forerunners.  More importantly, he is the reason Rand finally earns the right to his heron-mark sword.

And while the fighting in the sky might end up looking cheesy, something like it has to happen if the show is to retain even the most tenuous connection to the source material.  Eyewitness accounts of the fight figure in far too many storylines to just ignore them, unless all those storylines go away.

The Heroes have to do something similar.  Otherwise, there was no reason to introduce the Horn at all at this stage.

1 hour ago, Andra said:

Turak is far more than just a generic baddie.  For one, he's the actual leader of the Forerunners.  More importantly, he is the reason Rand finally earns the right to his heron-mark sword.

And while the fighting in the sky might end up looking cheesy, something like it has to happen if the show is to retain even the most tenuous connection to the source material.  Eyewitness accounts of the fight figure in far too many storylines to just ignore them, unless all those storylines go away.

The Heroes have to do something similar.  Otherwise, there was no reason to introduce the Horn at all at this stage.

While I have to keep on disagreeing about the need for Turak (unless it's over and done with in seconds), just about the only way I can see "battling in the clouds" is if (by some trick of the light) the fight gets projected onto the mists or something.  And I think that would be hardcore cheese.  (But I have to confess the Projection Screen of the Heavens even in-book felt unreal to me.)

It is of course possible that the encounter at Falme could be a mix of what happened in-book at Tarwin's Gap and at Falme.  I.e. Mat blows the Horn, the HotH turn up, "where is the Dragon?", Rand turns up, the HotH give him the Dragon Banner, he starts hammering on the ground or something and the Seanchan armies are obliterated (the HotH taking care of the Whitecloaks), then you get the Rathbone-Flynn moment while everyone's watching, ending with an obligatory sun beam from the sky or something.  Fairly cheesy, but I'd prefer that.  And while eyewitness accounts would not be as precise as in the books, they would still exist.  (PS I realise I am reversing the canonical order of some things.)

Edited by EmreY

11 hours ago, EmreY said:

While I have to keep on disagreeing about the need for Turak (unless it's over and done with in seconds), just about the only way I can see "battling in the clouds" is if (by some trick of the light) the fight gets projected onto the mists or something.  And I think that would be hardcore cheese.  (But I have to confess the Projection Screen of the Heavens even in-book felt unreal to me.)

It is of course possible that the encounter at Falme could be a mix of what happened in-book at Tarwin's Gap and at Falme.  I.e. Mat blows the Horn, the HotH turn up, "where is the Dragon?", Rand turns up, the HotH give him the Dragon Banner, he starts hammering on the ground or something and the Seanchan armies are obliterated (the HotH taking care of the Whitecloaks), then you get the Rathbone-Flynn moment while everyone's watching, ending with an obligatory sun beam from the sky or something.  Fairly cheesy, but I'd prefer that.  And while eyewitness accounts would not be as precise as in the books, they would still exist.

The need for Turak would depend entirely on whether Rafe ever has Rand actually learn to use his sword (he hasn't yet).  If Rand never becomes a blademaster, then their fight is irrelevant.  And we only need to be aware of him as commander of the Hailene, and probably also as the person Fain gives the Horn to.  So far as I'm aware, Bayle Domon's casting hasn't been announced, so even if Turak is shown to be a cuendillar collector, he won't get a Seal from him.

And while it's certainly true that the projection of the fight into the sky might be weird to film, the books say it was seen in more places than just around Falme.  For example, it appeared in the sky in Saldaea just before Taim was unhorsed and captured.  And supposedly in Haddon Mirk, as well.

So again - if the show intends to honor the source material, it has to do something like that.

And that is by no means a given.

Edited by Andra

2 hours ago, EmreY said:

What is this, does anyone know?  And why?

Leane Sedai VFX setup

I cannot find the article now, but there was one that explained it is a 3d body scan. It was posited that it is prep for some scenes that would have some heavy CGI usage. Maybe the character is performing actions that would be hazardous for the actress. They scan them and can then manipulate the digital person for the scenes. 

12 hours ago, EmreY said:

What is this, does anyone know?  And why?

Leane Sedai VFX setup

I suspect that's not from Wheel of Time, but from the new sci-fi series she's currently working on.  Where humans are genetically experimented on, and turned into "monsters."

IMDB: "The Imperfects"

If it's for something related to WOT, it may be a data capture session for design of her action figure.

Worst case scenario, it would mean she only appears in the show in later seasons as a full-CGI character. ?

Edited by Andra

11 hours ago, Andra said:

The need for Turak would depend entirely on whether Rafe ever has Rand actually learn to use his sword (he hasn't yet).  If Rand never becomes a blademaster, then their fight is irrelevant.  And we only need to be aware of him as commander of the Hailene, and probably also as the person Fain gives the Horn to.  So far as I'm aware, Bayle Domon's casting hasn't been announced, so even if Turak is shown to be a cuendillar collector, he won't get a Seal from him.

And while it's certainly true that the projection of the fight into the sky might be weird to film, the books say it was seen in more places than just around Falme.  For example, it appeared in the sky in Saldaea just before Taim was unhorsed and captured.  And supposedly in Haddon Mirk, as well.

So again - if the show intends to honor the source material, it has to do something like that.

And that is by no means a given.

Seeing how big the seal was at the EotW, I do not think anyone could collect them. 

I think Turok specifically only has value as a blade master. Otherwise, it can just be a generic Seanchan leader. 

I wonder if they will have the lacquered fingernails and shaved heads?

13 hours ago, Andra said:

He is the head of the forerunners but that could be looped into one of the other seanchan, maybe Tuon's general.  Have him retreat instead of dying.

As for Rand earning his heron mark.  There were no witnesses, no one acknowledged the feat.  He's not actually acknowledged as a blademaster until his casual dual in book 7, even then, it's an informal statement by someone, not a true acknowledgement.

Beyond all that, him being a blademaster is cool but ultimately not important to the narrative. (note I said blademaster, not being a swordsman in general).

1 hour ago, Wassup said:

Seeing how big the seal was at the EotW, I do not think anyone could collect them. 

I think Turok specifically only has value as a blade master. Otherwise, it can just be a generic Seanchan leader. 

I wonder if they will have the lacquered fingernails and shaved heads?

Hmm…They could save on a casting and skip him for Tuon, Rand could then draw a sword fight with her(just the way the show goes) whilst she gets dragged away(saving face)  as her force retreats.

8 hours ago, KakitaOCU said:

He is the head of the forerunners but that could be looped into one of the other seanchan, maybe Tuon's general.  Have him retreat instead of dying.

As for Rand earning his heron mark.  There were no witnesses, no one acknowledged the feat.  He's not actually acknowledged as a blademaster until his casual dual in book 7, even then, it's an informal statement by someone, not a true acknowledgement.

Beyond all that, him being a blademaster is cool but ultimately not important to the narrative. (note I said blademaster, not being a swordsman in general).

Earning the right to it is not the same as having that right acknowledged.  My point was that it's more about how he sees it himself than how others see it.  And at that point, the sword becomes his preferred weapon - even if it's a sword made of fire - rather than the bow.  Killing Turak gave Rand the awareness in himself that he uses immediately to fight "Ba'alzamon" with it.

Aside from the fact that Turak is the first human he actually kills with it.

Turak being a blademaster is critical to Rand's arc in the books. 

But we have no reason to think that part of the arc will remain in the show.  Considering that Lan hasn't trained any of them in the use of the weapons that most of them are no longer carrying.

Edited by Andra