DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 2 Predictions

Guest Wolfbrother31

10 hours ago, Cipher said:

I always thought Rand's beating of Turak was flawed in TGH as it was. No way he could win fairly.  I always thought it would have been best if he used the power to win the fight and feeling guilty for it with Lan counselling him through/over it.

I subscribed to the theory that Rand's immediate skill with the sword was bleed through from LTT.  Not always a popular theory as people like the Sword being something specific to Rand-Tam-Lan. But we know LTT was considered a blademaster so it makes sense to me that there was some bleed through.

3 hours ago, Skipp said:

I subscribed to the theory that Rand's immediate skill with the sword was bleed through from LTT.  Not always a popular theory as people like the Sword being something specific to Rand-Tam-Lan. But we know LTT was considered a blademaster so it makes sense to me that there was some bleed through.

Maybe so.  Rand already had decent strength from chores on the farm, had some inital training from a blademaster, and then had the knowledge of a blademaster in his head.  Don't know that you're right, but I could buy that.

1 hour ago, WhiteVeils said:

A fair chunk of Mat's skill can be attributed to similar sources. The only one with very little training who needs it is Perrin, who is naturally big and strong, but not necessarily weapon-trained. I hope we see some of Perrin being trained by Uno et al in S2....we'll see.

While Lan taught the basics of Parry, block and strike to Perrin it does seem most of his skill comes down to his strength and wolfish instincts. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 9:10 PM, DaddyFinn said:

Seemed like Turak didn't know the Void/Oneness. It's such a "cheat" if only the other uses it. It's not like Rand mastered the sword in just a few weeks of training with Lan unless the flickerflicker lives gave him knowledge and muscle memory.

Flicker lives gives good justification for sword adeptness, but RJ never wrote that from what I remember and I have read books 2-5 recently.

I, like many in this thread, think that portal stones and other worlds may get chopped in S2.

5 hours ago, Cipher said:

Flicker lives gives good justification for sword adeptness, but RJ never wrote that from what I remember and I have read books 2-5 recently.

Lifetimes in which he trained extensively as a warrior and fought regularly are explicitly included in the flicker - one as a Andoran royal guard after training with Tam, one as an Aiel warrior.   The question is whether this experience truly comparable to actual martial arts training and experience.  It certainly did not appear that the channeling experience also mentioned in the flickers translated to any useful control.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, Skipp said:

While Lan taught the basics of Parry, block and strike to Perrin it does seem most of his skill comes down to his strength and wolfish instincts. 

I think this is described really well at the start of book 3, when the Trollocs attack the winter camp we see Perrin think like a wolf, going for hamstrings then the throat with his axe for instance. He fights as one of the pack hunting down isolated trollocs and mydrall, It feels almost as if him not fighting like a typical human gives the advantage because how do you sword fight someone who is not following any of the normal rules of sword fighting. 

6 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I think this is described really well at the start of book 3, when the Trollocs attack the winter camp we see Perrin think like a wolf, going for hamstrings then the throat with his axe for instance. He fights as one of the pack hunting down isolated trollocs and mydrall, It feels almost as if him not fighting like a typical human gives the advantage because how do you sword fight someone who is not following any of the normal rules of sword fighting. 

It would be good not to follow the normal rules of sword fighting since he is using an axe.  😜

16 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:
On 11/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, Skipp said:

Except wolves and most mammals do not appear to fight or hunt purely from instinct - they learn this by play fighting with their litter mates and by observing and imitating the rest of their pack.  In human terms they are trained, and most can be trained differently with human intervention (hence domestic animals). 

18 minutes ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

Except wolves and most mammals do not appear to fight or hunt purely from instinct - they learn this by play fighting with their litter mates and by observing and imitating the rest of their pack.  In human terms they are trained, and most can be trained differently with human intervention (hence domestic animals). 

Except that wolves in WoT share their collective history in a psychic, for lack of a better word, manner. So they might know how to hunt/fight instinctively.

2 hours ago, Skipp said:

Except that wolves in WoT share their collective history in a psychic, for lack of a better word, manner. So they might know how to hunt/fight instinctively.

It is certainly shown that Perrin is getting knowledge from the other wolves, there are multiple times early on he finds himself thinking about various forms of darklord creature and instinctively knowing the best way to hunt them. 

On the back of another post and having recently re read books 2 and 3 my predictions of things that will be different. 

The gang of 3 will travel to the tower only once, meaning they either leave the tower to go to Falme and then head straight to Tear, or they leave the tower hunting the black Ajah and that takes them to Falme (Egwene has to be at falme to be collared that is too important to her story arc). 

Another alternative is the girls travel to Falme and then to the tower, although this would require all 4 girls be brought together before Tar Valon and then have a reason to go to Falme? 

If this is the case then Mat can't go to Falme, then to the White tower and then to Tear so his arc will need to change, this suggests he has either already been cured of the dagger and we see that in flashbacks, or he will go to the tower after Falme, or he is healed somehow away for Tar Valon. This would explain why Thom is not in season 2 as his story arc is 
Kill a King 
Help Mat escape Tar Valon and then get ill so Mat finds the girls. 

Now Mat still needs to find those fireworks somehow so possibly he bumps into an illuminator travelling from Falme to Tear? Or we get a time lapse (Falme, then next episode 9 months later?) 

I know there are suggestions that Portal Stones will not be part of season 2, I think that is unlikely as it is a key arc of Rands learning of how to channel, and introduces Lanfer. 

The main thing about books 2 and 3 is they keep to the theme of WOT being about some people chasing some other people across the land, I can see why Rafe feels like this can be condensed. In book 2 they are chasing down Fain and the horn, in book 3 Rand is being chased down by Perrin Morraine etc. There are important things that happen but they could all be part of the same journey possibly. So we might get a far shorter journey to get the Horn and Dagger back, or that might be a longer story and Rand getting to Tear might be half an episode? 

Fighting skill is one area where in fantasy books (not just WoT) we generally need to suspend our disbelief or attribute some of their wins to luck. Rand, Mat, and Perrin are great at fighting because they need to end up in the center of a lot of fights and win...but especially in the first few books when most of their powers haven't fully taken hold, they really do not have enough practice for it to totally make sense. I mean, the whole series takes place over a few years, and while they do practice, they are all mostly busy doing other things.

Past lives and wolf connection are potentially meant to explain this, as is just being taveren, but we should also consider that a lot of it is a magic even greater than all the One Power...and it's called "Main Character Energy".

IF they end in Tear, they can have Ishamal gateway directly to Tear from Falme and have Rand follow. It's pretty straightforward.

The Portal stones can be easily changed...and I think they will. There's a couple of ways.... Lanfear can meet Rand in the mountains, rather than in another world, and have him channel for some other reason, and you can even have 'flicker flicker'...if Rand 'opens' a Waygate incorrectly and uses it in a different fashion.

54 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

IF they end in Tear, they can have Ishamal gateway directly to Tear from Falme and have Rand follow. It's pretty straightforward.

The Portal stones can be easily changed...and I think they will. There's a couple of ways.... Lanfear can meet Rand in the mountains, rather than in another world, and have him channel for some other reason, and you can even have 'flicker flicker'...if Rand 'opens' a Waygate incorrectly and uses it in a different fashion.

Anything to get rid of portal stones!

On 11/16/2022 at 2:48 PM, nsmallw said:

Anyone heard any rumors etc about a Season Two release date?

I posted about this on another thread, looking at the announced tent pole Amazon series in 2023 my guess is April May, feb is announced (Carnival Row and Vox Machina season 2), we have the boys and mrs maiesal likely to be the summer releases, good omens in early autumn and Reachwr season 2 and Jack Ryan season 4 end of the year, that leaves a spring size gap for a major series to fill. 

2 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I posted about this on another thread, looking at the announced tent pole Amazon series in 2023 my guess is April May, feb is announced (Carnival Row and Vox Machina season 2), we have the boys and mrs maiesal likely to be the summer releases, good omens in early autumn and Reachwr season 2 and Jack Ryan season 4 end of the year, that leaves a spring size gap for a major series to fill. 

It's been previously stated by Rafe that the window for the debut of Season 2 is "first quarter 2023" (January to March).

Edited by DigificWriter

14 hours ago, DigificWriter said:

It's been previously stated by Rafe that the window for the debut of Season 2 is "first quarter 2023" (January to March).

So that would track, episode 1 could drop the last week of March and then, assuming a weekly drop cycle and 8 episodes, take Amazon through April into May ready for the Boys to start in June. If Carnival Row is landing in February it is showing a 5 episodes run currently, that would take it through to March, then a 2-3 week gap (to allow viewers to catchup on Carnival Row before moving onto the next big new series) my guess then is last week of March. Vox Machina was released in 4 drops 3 episodes each drop, so that would tie in to maybe bridge the gap between the 2 series? Amazon might feel an animated DnD show is different enough to allow a bit of overlap while the fact it probably has the same audience means that they will keep eyes on the screen for the whole of that first quarter. 

57 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

Carnival Row's second season consists of 10 episodes, which will take it into the middle of April.

Also, I can't seem to find the actual source of where I'd seen Rafe say "first quarter 2023", and so now I'm questioning whether or not my brain somehow made it up.

Maybe WoT S2 will be cancelled like the Batgirl movie...  😲

Really doubtful, but it is a possibility (however remote).

On 12/11/2022 at 10:41 AM, DigificWriter said:

I want to say you're referring to a statement made by an Amazon executive that referred to S2 coming in 2023 and that the executive knew which quarter. I don't think there has ever been any actual discussion of which quarter it would be released, only that it wasn't coming in 2022.

That being said, I'll put a couple of nickels on Q2 (April - June). 

10 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Maybe WoT S2 will be cancelled like the Batgirl movie...  😲

Really doubtful, but it is a possibility (however remote).

I don’t see this happening lol, it is clear that they have decided the DCEU needs to try to be marvel and this is the 3rd time they have tried rebooting it, so they just got rid of bad movies that would divert from that. Marvel should have done the same with the young mutants movie. Personally I wish they would just focus on making really good movies and if they fit into an overall arc that’s a bonus. 

Oh and the Snyder cut still wasn’t that great a movie. I mean it was better but that wasn’t hard. 

Edited by Sir_Charrid

3 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I want to say you're referring to a statement made by an Amazon executive that referred to S2 coming in 2023 and that the executive knew which quarter. I don't think there has ever been any actual discussion of which quarter it would be released, only that it wasn't coming in 2022.

That being said, I'll put a couple of nickels on Q2 (April - June). 

I would really hope an Amazon exec might know when one of their key series is coming out lol. Although I do like the idea of a giant tombola and as new series are completed they get put in and pulled at random. ;).