DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 2 Predictions

Guest Wolfbrother31

Season Two, Episode One...cold open...

Setting: a small Trolloc village just north of the borderlands

A squat Trolloc child sits cross-legged  in a patch of dirt, humming an off-key ditty (? The Wind That Shakes the Willow). Holding a small carving knife in one hand, he meticulously scrapes flecks of wood off a piece of lumber, shaping a crude flower. Narg has never seen a flower, but remembers his mother's description of flowers, years ago, on returning from one of her many border raids. Narg does not care for raids or killing. He is a sensitive, thoughtful child, nothing like his rough peers, who tease him mercilessly for his artistic inclinations.

Moments later, the quiet is shattered by the blaring of horns. Narg frowns…the horns sound nothing like Trolloc instruments. Fear grips his heart, and his wolf muzzle cautiously tests the wind. The Men have come. 

Zooming out, we see a young Lord Agelmar charge across the blasted landscape to the small village, shouting encouragement to his cavalry. We see Narg hunch low to the ground as he seeks shelter behind a stack of enormous Trolloc cooking pots. The Shienaran soldiers set fire to the over-sized Trolloc huts, and the clang and clash of weaponry fills the air.

Peering over the cook pots, through a smoky haze...Narg sees his mother fall, a bloody spear protruding from her back, and a silent scream painted grotesquely across her wolfish visage. 

The wooden carving crumbles in Narg’s hand. His gaze rests on his dead mother, and a feeling of overwhelming grief washes over him. No, he will not cry. He must not. Narg must be hard, harder than iron, harder than steel, to face what will come. Narg will make the Men pay for their actions. He will make them pay with blood.

Edited by Chivalry

New prediction:

Episode 1.
Rand decides he will not go mad if he does not channel. So, he goes home to help his father rebuild. 
Over time, he falls in love with Danya and builds the house he dreamed of. He hears about continued wars, but believes they will not affect the Two Rivers because he took care of the DO. 
Then one fateful day, Trollocs swarm the Two Rivers by the thousands. Rand is struck down while trying to remember how to channel to defend his family. 

The last thing he hears, in his mind, is, “I win again Lews Therin.”

Episode 2 begins with explaining how there are numerous turnings of the wheel, how there are no beginnings or endings to the turning, but this is a new beginning. 
It then proceeds with the same story with some minor changes to be more in line with the books, better develop the characters, and explain/clarify key points about the world that have been bypassed, overlooked, modified, ignored, or just avoided.  

5 hours ago, Chivalry said:

Season Two, Episode One...cold open...

Setting: a small Trolloc village just north of the borderlands

A squat Trolloc child sits cross-legged  in a patch of dirt, humming an off-key ditty (? The Wind That Shakes the Willow). Holding a small carving knife in one hand, he meticulously scrapes flecks of wood off a piece of lumber, shaping a crude flower. Narg has never seen a flower, but remembers his mother's description of flowers, years ago, on returning from one of her many border raids. Narg does not care for raids or killing. He is a sensitive, thoughtful child, nothing like his rough peers, who tease him mercilessly for his artistic inclinations.

Moments later, the quiet is shattered by the blaring of horns. Narg frowns…the horns sound nothing like Trolloc instruments. Fear grips his heart, and his wolf muzzle cautiously tests the wind. The Men have come. 

Zooming out, we see a young Lord Agelmar charge across the blasted landscape to the small village, shouting encouragement to his cavalry. We see Narg hunch low to the ground as he seeks shelter behind a stack of enormous Trolloc cooking pots. The Shienaran soldiers set fire to the over-sized Trolloc huts, and the clang and clash of weaponry fills the air.

Peering over the cook pots, through a smoky haze...Narg sees his mother fall, a bloody spear protruding from her back, and a silent scream painted grotesquely across her wolfish visage. 

The wooden carving crumbles in Narg’s hand. His gaze rests on his dead mother, and a feeling of overwhelming grief washes over him. No, he will not cry. He must not. Narg must be hard, harder than iron, harder than steel, to face what will come. Narg will make the Men pay for their actions. He will make them pay with blood.

yes we will get 6 lines of dialog for Perrin but two full episodes on Trolloc child-rearing and school for little Myrdraals, in addition to a Trolloc-Myrdraal-Trolloc love triangle melodrama.

Edited by Quiksilver

9 hours ago, ForsakenPotato said:

I am worried about Callendor...I cannot imagine a sword that looks like glass or crystal looking good onscreen and simultaneously I cannot imagine fans being happy if it looks like anything else.

More to the point since it glows when in use it has to look sufficiently different from certain other glowing sword things in a sci-fi/fantasy setting to avoid being sued by a dominant movie and animation provider.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:20 PM, Yojimbo said:

But don't forget, Lan is such a terrible horseman that he may have just fallen off his horse (several times), or decided to ride through a few thorn bushes.   I mean, he's really bad at riding apparently.   

I find this argument disingenuous. No one ever said Lan was a bad horseman. Someone told a story about one time Lan had trouble with a horse. Have you never had friends who won't let you forget that one moment you made an ass of yourself?

Of all the things to legitimately complain about, this one is not it. 

1 minute ago, Elder_Haman said:

I find this argument disingenuous. No one ever said Lan was a bad horseman. Someone told a story about one time Lan had trouble with a horse. Have you never had friends who won't let you forget that one moment you made an ass of yourself?

Of all the things to legitimately complain about, this one is not it. 

I was being facetious. 

19 hours ago, ForsakenPotato said:

I am worried about Callendor...I cannot imagine a sword that looks like glass or crystal looking good onscreen and simultaneously I cannot imagine fans being happy if it looks like anything else.

Yeah the weapon look is important but I am more worried if they are doing book 2 and 3 in one season there's absolutely now way that can be done in 8 episodes, at least not in a way that does justice to the material IMO. I'm really hoping it's more than 8 and TBH you'd think it would make more sense to Amazon to have more because from a business perspective the longer the seasons are, the longer people have to stay subscribed to prime to watch them so the more money you make off of subscriptions. 

14 minutes ago, TheSmurf said:

I can easily see a glass sword being done very well. 

I'm going to be working on my own soon, so will be interesting for me to compare. Hopefully they can make it better than a novice cosplayer. 

18 minutes ago, Ralph said:

I had a feeling that we would be seeing more of deaths like  Lord Agelmar and Lady Amalisa, it makes sense that it is not feasible to expect the same actors to be around several years later for another scene, for 1 to 2 episodes.  

So I can predict that many  characters that appear again only several books later will be killed off, or never seen again.  

Edited by Windigo

Honestly?

Elayne Nynaeve and Egwene end up in the Tower for training, get some guidance from Alannna.  Liandrin takes on Elaida's role, overthrows Siuan, then sends some BA to do murders and "Flee".  Liandrin then sends the super girls after them straight into a trap where they are captured by the Seanchan.  Min meanwhile helps Logain, Siuan and Leanne escape.   

Moraine and Lan go to find a way to unravel her shield, seeking out Verrin who is a renowned brown scholar in retirement.   Not sure how her full plot goes.  But ends with her removing the shield and setting out for Tear.

Perrin leads the Hunt for the Horn which Fain doesn't take to Falme but to Tear instead.  His group adds a new member, Elyas, who is known to the Borderlanders as a "Sniffer".

Rand does his book 3 plotline, going to Tear to claim Callandor.    

Matt is messed with by the Reds which adds to the holes in his memory and his distrust of Aes Sedai, he meets up with Thom and has mostly his book 3 adventure, except the girls aren't in Tear, they're in Falme.  He rescues them from the Seanchan...

Who are marching on Tear, having spent less time consolidating and more time pushing they have swept through Illian (I don't think Sammael matters in this telling).  Tear, hating channeling, allies with the Seanchan and invite them into the Stone right before Rand, Perrin's Group, Mat and Moraine arrive.

The end of TDR happens except instead of Aiel vs Stone Defenders it's Aiel vs Seanchan.  Mat blows the horn.

At the end the Seanchan are pushed back out of Tear entirely and forced to retreat into Illian.  Rand has the Sword that is not a Sword.

Cliffhanger has Fain arriving at the Two Rivers again and maybe the Seanchan deciding to pull all the way back to Falme on orders of the Nine Moons.

1 hour ago, Windigo said:

I had a feeling that we would be seeing more of deaths like  Lord Agelmar and Lady Amalisa, it makes sense that it is not feasible to expect the same actors to be around several years later for another scene, for 1 to 2 episodes.  

So I can predict that many  characters that appear again only several books later will be killed off, or never seen again.  

huh well we might never see 

Spoiler

Logain join the Asha'man in that case then ? 

And guess no one is coming to rescue Moiraine after she takes out Lanfear

Not sure why this needs to be a thing for WoT? We have literally had recurring guest characters in TV shows for decades. By that logic Q should have been killed off in Star Trek TNG after his first appearance, and if you come back with "those were not based on pre-exsiting source material" then what about GoT with Tywin Lanister and Olenna Tyrell. At worst they might have to recast a character that you might not have seen for many years (again something GoT did with not much fuss made about it), is that really worse than having to recast one of your main core characters who's supposed to be in every episode? 

Edited by SingleMort

17 hours ago, Quiksilver said:

yes we will get 6 lines of dialog for Perrin but two full episodes on Trolloc child-rearing and school for little Myrdraals, in addition to a Trolloc-Myrdraal-Trolloc love triangle melodrama.

I was going to add that Episode 2 will give us the Trolloc funeral we've always been curious about. We will see Narg bury his mother...or maybe drop her in a cook pot and eat her, I'm not really sure. 

2 hours ago, Ralph said:

.........So slightly less than GoT but with twice the material to cover ? 

I know some books can be trimmed a bit but this works out to less than 4 episodes per book, I honestly don't see how that can work 

Edit: just realised GoT had 73 episodes so actually it's substantially shorter that GoT. GoT would essentially be an entire season longer. 

Edited by SingleMort

1 hour ago, SingleMort said:

huh well we might never see 

Hide contents

Logain join the Asha'man in that case then ? 

And guess no one is coming to rescue Moiraine after she takes out Lanfear

Opposite.  The first person you mention is important from the moment someone has to leave the white tower, which I expect to happen in Season 2 vs waiting until book 4.

For the second person, I doubt they'll die immediately, or if they do they'll stay gone.  I really do expect that person to stay around and for us not to see a certain Aes Sedai with the same name as one of your mods.

On 12/28/2021 at 7:20 PM, ForsakenPotato said:

I think it will be fine. But honestly, I'm more attached to the ending of TGH than the ending of TDR. If I had a choice, we'd get Falme.

23 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

Opposite.  The first person you mention is important from the moment someone has to leave the white tower, which I expect to happen in Season 2 vs waiting until book 4.

For the second person, I doubt they'll die immediately, or if they do they'll stay gone.  I really do expect that person to stay around and for us not to see a certain Aes Sedai with the same name as one of your mods.

In the case of the first example

Spoiler

I could easily see Logain's part cut after he helps Suian escape especially if they use the stilling storyline on Moiraine. They could just give his part to another one of the Asha'man we see later

In the case of the second seeing as they have at most 52 episodes left to complete the series I'd be surprised if there was even time to do anything more with that person by that time. I'm kinda expecting large parts of the plot to be cut at this point because there simply won't be time to do them.

3 hours ago, Ralph said:

I am not sure I fully understand the quote “We have to add some story while we’re compressing, ”.

Why do you have to add if you are already struggling to compress and cut the story?  Doesn’t that mean you have to compress and cut more of the original story?