DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Layla Aybara

Guire

it's a rumor that's been circulating for a while, ever since someone saw the name layla aybara.

someone checked the books and saw there was a layla, and she was a girl whom perrin courted at some point. add in with sanderson saying there was one big change that fans would probably not like, some people connected it all by theorizing she's perrin's wife and she dies in the attack on winternight.

the short of it all is, we don't know. we have no official source on who layla aybara is, or if they made big changes to perrin's arc. it's just a big speculation based on a name, it doesn't have any concrete support. on the other hand, as we have very little confirmations regarding details, we also have no refutation.

it's actually something someone could ask rafe. but then, we'll know in a couple months

2 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

it's a rumor that's been circulating for a while, ever since someone saw the name layla aybara.

someone checked the books and saw there was a layla, and she was a girl whom perrin courted at some point. add in with sanderson saying there was one big change that fans would probably not like, some people connected it all by theorizing she's perrin's wife and she dies in the attack on winternight.

the short of it all is, we don't know. we have no official source on who layla aybara is, or if they made big changes to perrin's arc. it's just a big speculation based on a name, it doesn't have any concrete support. on the other hand, as we have very little confirmations regarding details, we also have no refutation.

it's actually something someone could ask rafe. but then, we'll know in a couple months

Several WoT centered reaction videos I saw mentioned it.  They seemed fairly confident that she was at least a young woman strongly linked to Perrin.  The fact it is mostly unverified speculation is pretty reassuring.  I was starting to really see Rutherford as Perrin. Want to badly see book Perrin.

Passing on some information I got from viewing a trailer reaction/breakdown video on WoTUp. Possible spoiler alert, although it is all speculation at this point obviously.

From what I have seen and read, the speculation is that she is Perrin’s wife. Further speculation is that she is killed during the Winternight attack and that it is by Perrin’s own hand. 

27 minutes ago, Taishar Hawaii said:

Passing on some information I got from viewing a trailer reaction/breakdown video on WoTUp. Possible spoiler alert, although it is all speculation at this point obviously.

From what I have seen and read, the speculation is that she is Perrin’s wife. Further speculation is that she is killed during the Winternight attack and that it is by Perrin’s own hand. 

That's the part that worries me.  How do we get Faile or his battle at 2 Rivers if he is an emotionally damaged widow.  His wolf dream sequences will be dark dark dark.  

13 minutes ago, Guire said:

That's the part that worries me.  How do we get Faile or his battle at 2 Rivers if he is an emotionally damaged widow.  His wolf dream sequences will be dark dark dark.  

I loved Perrin in the books, but he could be such a naive whiner.  I think he could do with a bit of darkening.  That's assuming any of this is true.

Edited by DojoToad

57 minutes ago, Taishar Hawaii said:

If this is true it would be a good way, abet a tried trope, to show us why he hates the axe, why he must think things through etc... without resorting to inner monologue.

I think it could be very good.

1. It shows why Matt and Rand think Perrin is better with women, he got married before them.
  2. He would hate the axe as stated above.
  3. Gives a reason for him to fight the wolfkin, animalistic part of him he is always fighting in the book.  Also to always feel guilty about Aram and resist him following him.
  4. Give him a reason to always second guess himself and think things through as stated above.
  5. Insentivize him leaving EF as stated above.

This could really work and bypass a lot of his internal monologs in the book.  When faced with a decision  or hesitating before battle you could flash the moment he accidentally kills his wife in a fit of battle lust or wolfkin rage.  Yes it changes some details but ups the stakes without changing any major beats in the plot and sticks with the themes and inner conflict he faces.

9 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

There will be intense backlash about "fridging" a character right out of the gate. Just be warned.

No doubt but the number of people who will be new to the show should greatly out number us fans that it will be quite manageable.  Makes me sad to think how unpopular reading has become compared to TV.

6 hours ago, Guire said:

Several WoT centered reaction videos I saw mentioned it.  They seemed fairly confident that she was at least a young woman strongly linked to Perrin.  The fact it is mostly unverified speculation is pretty reassuring.

you know how it is, somebody says something and it catches on and people start repeating it, and eventually everyone is repeating it - possibly in a way mangles by repeated retellings - even though it's baseless speculation, or debunked. that's how most fake news start

Now, I can't guarantee it won't happen. they may actually do it, have perrin with a wife that he accidentally kills. and as @thehumantrashcan pointed out, they may have several good reasons to do it.

But before wailing in despair, let's keep in mind that no matter how much the rumor got inflated, it's still baseless speculation

I'm not a fan of this particular (rumored) change. My immediate reaction to hearing about it is "but why though?" and I can't think of a satisfying answer. Perrin losing himself in the moment and killing those Whitecloaks, him fearing what being a Wolfbrother means for his sanity, and having his village attacked because the Dark One is after him specifically is plenty for the writers to play with, without inventing something that is so significantly different from the books.

I'm not automatically against all adaptation changes, but this particular one would be a mistake imo.

13 minutes ago, thehumantrashcan said:

Yeah, she could just be there because they aged up the characters and wanted one of them to be married because of it.  She may not get killed by him but by the darkspawn.

I can deal with him going into rage, charging at darkspawn, her following then getting killed.  If he rage thrashes and kills her. Ugh.  I think that is too much of a fundamental change in who Perrin is and what he becomes.  This also probably removes Faile and Lord of 2 Rivers arc.  Very tough to be sympathetic to wife killer that shacks up with hot chick from out of town.  

6 hours ago, Guire said:

I can deal with him going into rage, charging at darkspawn, her following then getting killed.  If he rage thrashes and kills her. Ugh.  I think that is too much of a fundamental change in who Perrin is and what he becomes.  This also probably removes Faile and Lord of 2 Rivers arc.  Very tough to be sympathetic to wife killer that shacks up with hot chick from out of town.  

i disagree.

accidentally killing your people in battle by friendly fire happens all the time. i would never call perrin a "wife killer" if in the heat of battle he swung at a dark shape he mistakes for a trolloc.

and sure, i would expect him to be overcome with grief and not be out looking for another romance so fast... but remember, there's more than one year passing from winternight to meeting faile. that's enough time for a proper mourning.

I would not like this plot change because it would change too much about perrin, but they probably could work the story around it.

wait, maybe you are thinking that perrin goes into berserk mode and attacks everything in front of him indiscriminately? yeah, that would be different.

7 hours ago, Guire said:

If the rumor is true, and he does kill her, I have to wonder if it's some accident, or if he does it intentionally. Remember in the EotW when he contemplates killing Egwene himself rather than let her live through torture (and he's sick with himself as soon as the scenario is over)?

Sigh... Like, I understand how showing it works into his development, but it's a huge change, something he's never done before. Not a childish accident, but a horrific thing however they do it. If they do it. 

Edit: I know this is just layering levels of speculation.

Edited by Agitel

• Community Administrator
7 hours ago, Guire said:

What? That's some silly speculation.

Perrin, going into a rage and killing his wife? I'd highly doubt that.

FAR more likely, if she is his Wife... she gets taken by Trollocs, never to be seen in one piece again.
THIS would give Perrin some wonderful motivation to be so obsessed with saving Faile.

14 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Perrin, going into a rage and killing his wife? I'd highly doubt that.

I could see them doing it, it ties into the theme of Perrin's fear of becoming violent and giving into the wolf.

Combine that with him leaving that night with Moiraine and suddenly his return to the Two Rivers goes from no one really believing he was capable of killing someone to a lot of suspicion over his actions that night. At the same time he's brought with him a new foreign girlfriend and some Aiel guards and he's colluding with Aes Sedai and Warders whilst  (even if he doesn't realize it) taking leadership of the village.

It would certainly allow for Perrin's storyline to become more complex.