DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Layla Aybara

Guire

• Community Administrator
59 minutes ago, AusLeviathan said:

I could see them doing it, it ties into the theme of Perrin's fear of becoming violent and giving into the wolf.

Combine that with him leaving that night with Moiraine and suddenly his return to the Two Rivers goes from no one really believing he was capable of killing someone to a lot of suspicion over his actions that night. At the same time he's brought with him a new foreign girlfriend and some Aiel guards and he's colluding with Aes Sedai and Warders whilst  (even if he doesn't realize it) taking leadership of the village.

It would certainly allow for Perrin's storyline to become more complex.

Except, if he murders his wife in the Two Rivers, all the suspicion of him upon his return would never have resulted in him leading the two rivers, except as a tyrant.

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

Except, if he murders his wife in the Two Rivers, all the suspicion of him upon his return would never have resulted in him leading the two rivers, except as a tyrant.

I could see them playing it as Perrin being afraid that the people won't accept him back because he killed Layla though. He worries about being seen as a murderer and isolates himself. It's a way to get at some of the stuff that goes through Perrin's head in the books.

Maybe he starts helping the Two Rivers by being sneaky - doing raids on the Whitecloak camps, etc. But he deliberately avoids people in town because he thinks he'll be accused of murder. That could actually be interesting...

17 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

There will be intense backlash about "fridging" a character right out of the gate. Just be warned.

Agreed Elder and why I hope this is all just rumor. Perrin is my favorite of the 3 EF Ta’veren and his story arc is one of the most compelling in the books IMO. The Faile kidnapping was too drawn out and a used trope by that time, but still effectively showed his depth and struggle with the inner wolf and outer leader/hero. All of that should have been plenty for the show without having to resort to such things and possibly ruin a wonderfully complex and compelling character.

So, here’s hoping it’s all rumor.

5 hours ago, Beidomon said:

If “in this turning” Perrin is a committed family man who never meets Faile and never spends 4 seasons having his beard tugged, moping about Faile, and rescuing Faile…. then consider me officially Team Layla!

But he won't be committed family man.  He will be guilt ridden widow who is afraid of violence.  Possibly good character but more tragic than triumphant.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 9:58 PM, SinisterDeath said:

What? That's some silly speculation.

Perrin, going into a rage and killing his wife? I'd highly doubt that.

FAR more likely, if she is his Wife... she gets taken by Trollocs, never to be seen in one piece again.
THIS would give Perrin some wonderful motivation to be so obsessed with saving Faile.

I really hope you are right.  Perrin killing his wife would condemn us all into endless flashbacks to that scene and a PTSD Perrin.   Also that kind of thing really ages a person emotionally and would probably lend a dark aspect to Perrins personality.    

And for what?!  *sigh*

Every time I think of the TV series I pray  to myself  "please don't let them f#ck it up, please don't let them f#ck it up"  ?  

On 9/9/2021 at 8:21 AM, king of nowhere said:

it's a rumor that's been circulating for a while, ever since someone saw the name layla aybara.

someone checked the books and saw there was a layla, and she was a girl whom perrin courted at some point. add in with sanderson saying there was one big change that fans would probably not like, some people connected it all by theorizing she's perrin's wife and she dies in the attack on winternight.

the short of it all is, we don't know. we have no official source on who layla aybara is, or if they made big changes to perrin's arc. it's just a big speculation based on a name, it doesn't have any concrete support. on the other hand, as we have very little confirmations regarding details, we also have no refutation.

it's actually something someone could ask rafe. but then, we'll know in a couple months

Another thing that leads me to believe in this alteration is I read that it was claimed Marcus brought them to tears in his audition, I found that to be an odd statement to make considering he doesn’t lose family until later in the series when he returns to Emond’s Field.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:44 PM, Guire said:

I can deal with him going into rage, charging at darkspawn, her following then getting killed.  If he rage thrashes and kills her. Ugh.  I think that is too much of a fundamental change in who Perrin is and what he becomes.  This also probably removes Faile and Lord of 2 Rivers arc.  Very tough to be sympathetic to wife killer that shacks up with hot chick from out of town.  

If his wife dies in the beginning I think they could make Faile following him as a hunter for the horn even more interesting, because he would have a legitimate personal issue for not wanting her coming along due to potential loss, but also highlight Saldaen stubbornness and passion and her ability to fight as well. 

1 hour ago, JaimAybara said:

Another thing that leads me to believe in this alteration is I read that it was claimed Marcus brought them to tears in his audition, I found that to be an odd statement to make considering he doesn’t lose family until later in the series when he returns to Emond’s Field.

1 hour ago, JaimAybara said:

If his wife dies in the beginning I think they could make Faile following him as a hunter for the horn even more interesting, because he would have a legitimate personal issue for not wanting her coming along due to potential loss, but also highlight Saldaen stubbornness and passion and her ability to fight as well. 

? go ahead, keep adding nails to our coffins

13 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

? go ahead, keep adding nails to our coffins

Haha Sorry, I’m a fan of Faile except for her Shaido side quest. As for Layla, this is what I think they are setting us up for even though I think it unnecessary. Particularly since his story has a lot to do with the initial loss of Hopper and the Whitecloaks. 

36 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

Haha Sorry, I’m a fan of Faile except for her Shaido side quest. As for Layla, this is what I think they are setting us up for even though I think it unnecessary. Particularly since his story has a lot to do with the initial loss of Hopper and the Whitecloaks. 

Also clarification* I’m not saying he will kill his wife like some of the others, nor do I think it a wise choice for the script. I just think he may lose his wife to trollocs or a fade. 

11 minutes ago, Rose said:

Another thing I'm worried about is that if they make this change where he was already married and lost his wife to the Trolloc attack, it might mean they're cutting the later attack on the Two Rivers and him losing his family, which is a pretty huge deal.

I just can’t imagine them cutting it. It’s too big a part of Perrin’s arc. 

13 hours ago, Rose said:

Another thing I'm worried about is that if they make this change where he was already married and lost his wife to the Trolloc attack, it might mean they're cutting the later attack on the Two Rivers and him losing his family, which is a pretty huge deal.

in the second trolloc attack he lost parents, brothers, cousins, assorted siblings.

that remains whether or not he also lost a wife.

10 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

in the second trolloc attack he lost parents, brothers, cousins, assorted siblings.

that remains whether or not he also lost a wife.

Yeah it just seems repetitive to me, so I was trying to think why they'd give him a wife and kill her off in a Trolloc attack if something very similar is going to happen later. And it made me think maybe they're cutting the later plot line but they still want him to have that wound and that's why they're adding the wife. All speculation of course, I really hope they just don't do any of it.