DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Layla Aybara

Guire

We'll see if any of it happens.  But who's to say he is married?  Maybe he is betrothed or maybe thinking along those lines.  Or if she is already an Aybara, she is sister, cousin or whatever.  She can die on Winternight, Battle of the Two Rivers or whenever.  And he doesn't have to kill her - she can die from a Fade blade, a trolloc arrow, or just get stepped on by a trolloc.  Dead is dead.  And having someone close killed provides more than enough motivation without Perrin having to have done the killing.

1 hour ago, Rose said:

Yeah it just seems repetitive to me, so I was trying to think why they'd give him a wife and kill her off in a Trolloc attack if something very similar is going to happen later. And it made me think maybe they're cutting the later plot line but they still want him to have that wound and that's why they're adding the wife. All speculation of course, I really hope they just don't do any of it.

I wouldn’t be thrilled if they do this but plot wise I could understand if he had a wife that died by the hands of a fade or a trolloc and he was incapable of helping or reaching her in time. Moiraine could then say they have to leave or put the rest of their families at risk by staying. This could double down his feelings of failure upon his return to Emond’s Field only to find out he came back too late for the rest of his family as well. The guilt would then reach its climactic stages and we would get the subsequent resolution with the support of Faile. (Cinematically likely to occur by the apple blossom trees where his family was buried).

This being said, if they transition his killing of Whitecloaks to the killing of HIS wife…that to me is completely antithetical to the character of Perrin and they fundamentally have no clue as to what they are doing. Even when he killed the Whitecloaks it is somewhat justified, and he felt it all happening amplified through the pack. The death of Hopper, the memory of them hunting and skinning wolves all day…it just was not provable considering most people think wolves are shadowspawn. However, If he kills his wife, then they are totally rewriting his character to be more like Noam. He wouldn’t be acting out of vengeance or justice for his wolf brothers/sisters, he would be lashing out because he is somehow already becoming a rabid wolf. Then if he goes to trial he will be found guilty without recourse. Not charged with “illegal fighting between mercenary bands.”

10 hours ago, DojoToad said:

We'll see if any of it happens.  But who's to say he is married?  Maybe he is betrothed or maybe thinking along those lines.  Or if she is already an Aybara, she is sister, cousin or whatever.  She can die on Winternight, Battle of the Two Rivers or whenever.  And he doesn't have to kill her - she can die from a Fade blade, a trolloc arrow, or just get stepped on by a trolloc.  Dead is dead.  And having someone close killed provides more than enough motivation without Perrin having to have done the killing.

I agree and I'm hoping she's already an Aybara i.e. a sister or cousin. People are thinking that's not possible based on physical appearance but it's honestly not that far-fetched. If it's a mixed-race family, anything pretty much goes.

2 hours ago, Rose said:

It's at the end of Crossroads of Twilight.

I always found that entire subplot quite interesting. Very unsure if we will get to see any of it though. Morgase was quite clever and Galad’s black and white code of ethics is finally challenged in a real way. Not only by Perrin’s actions, but his own. Thanks for this assist as well, I couldn’t remember off the top of my head and I may have been paraphrasing to be honest. 

*** I may have misread this thread disregard. What quote was it they were referring? I tried to retrace and couldn’t tell if it was a reference to Morgase/Galad or a previous quote of yours. 

Edited by JaimAybara

14 hours ago, Rose said:

Yeah it just seems repetitive to me, so I was trying to think why they'd give him a wife and kill her off in a Trolloc attack if something very similar is going to happen later. And it made me think maybe they're cutting the later plot line but they still want him to have that wound and that's why they're adding the wife. All speculation of course, I really hope they just don't do any of it.

yes, i also think it could become repetitive if he lost family too often. If perrin loses family members too often, I'm already picturing memes of aunt jessica fletcher/aybara coming to visit...

10 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

I always found that entire subplot quite interesting. Very unsure if we will get to see any of it though. Morgase was quite clever and Galad’s black and white code of ethics is finally challenged in a real way. Not only by Perrin’s actions, but his own. Thanks for this assist as well, I couldn’t remember off the top of my head and I may have been paraphrasing to be honest. 

*** I may have misread this thread disregard. What quote was it they were referring? I tried to retrace and couldn’t tell if it was a reference to Morgase/Galad or a previous quote of yours. 

They were asking about the quote in my forum signature. If you're on mobile, you won't see it.

It might be a bit too much to hope for, but what would be lost if Layla Aybara ends up replacing Faile in the books? 

I was thinking of what sort of story it might be if Layla was engaged to Perrin.  Maybe she was not killed on Winternight, but came close enough that Perrin felt obliged to leave Two Rivers to protect her.  Perrin could be uncertain about the upcoming marriage, and eager to run away anyway.  Then, later, she goes after him and meets up with him around when Faile does. She can even call herself Faile when travelling. It cuts out the tie with Saldaia, but having fewer nations is not the end of the world.

I find myself hoping for that...I think it would be pretty cool.

Edited by WhiteVeils

On 9/10/2021 at 5:29 AM, Agitel said:

With an atonement arc and a reacceptance arc.

I recognize I'm way ahead of myself here.

maybe it's just his sister.  she adds to the stakes if she gets killed in winter night.  perrin did have his whole family wiped out so maybe this is just a way of making it more personal.  all these other details of vb her being his wife and him killing sound like leaks more than theories.  I don't know how anyone could come to those conclusions unless they had a leak.