DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Trailer Drops Tomorrow

Guest Wolfbrother31

12 minutes ago, Elgee said:

squiggle guy: thank you so much for the help!

I am squiggle guy ;-; Funny story, I created this account like 14 years ago or something, and the username was <(^-^)> but I guess the site changed how it did text formatting so now I have a very odd username. Anyways, I'm glad to help.

And yeah I also enjoyed watching Greene break it down. I kinda disagree with him on the lighting, I think darkness is a tool to be used sparingly in a show, and one of my biggest criticisms of modern fantasy shows is that they're too dark. I love the colors and vibrancy, and I'm sure it will get dark when it needs to like in Shadar Logoth.

46 minutes ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

I love the colors and vibrancy, and I'm sure it will get dark when it needs to like in Shadar Logoth.

Me too. I'm really over the washed out colors that are so trendy these days. And Jordan's world was colorful. This doesn't bother me at all. And nothing about the tone struck me as being YA at all. I think I understand what Daniel Greene means, for example, about the shot of Liandrin and the Reds looking like a CW shot, but when you look at the rest of the trailer, it's clear that the show isn't being shot in that style at all.

And I see evidence of the kind of "grit" that people want in smaller scenes like Mat and Perrin sitting against the wall, shoulders drooped, heads down. Or when we see Lan being held at sword point.

As for the cliff scene @SinisterDeath, I have to disagree with you here. I think that we are going to see some sort of ritual - either for entry into the Women's Circle, or to become a Wisdom. I think it is going to begin in that pool and end with her being pushed off the cliff.

The other possibility is a dream (because ... so much foreshadowing), but the sequence is still the same. It's very clear to me from the color on her shift in the first few frames that she's been in the color pool before she's pushed. 

• Community Administrator
12 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

As for the cliff scene @SinisterDeath, I have to disagree with you here. I think that we are going to see some sort of ritual - either for entry into the Women's Circle, or to become a Wisdom. I think it is going to begin in that pool and end with her being pushed off the cliff.

If it ended with her being pushed off the cliff, her face and clothes would have been dyed & wet.

I believe the two scenes are unconnected, or happen at significantly different times.

There's also the very real possibility that this Teaser Trailer, is full of red herrings. Some of these scenes may never actually happen in the tv series.

I thought the trailer was solid. I showed it to my wife who was very skeptical previously, and she was very impressed. I'm a little concerned that Mat/Rand/Perrin were under-represented. I really hope this "turning" doesn't change their importance. I know people are explaining it as misdirection, but doesn't feel right to me. On another note, I find the complaints about "lighting" or other trivial things ridiculous.

Edited by Ryan al'Thor

4 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

It also doesn't look like "MTV" teen drama to me either, which is what Shanara Chronicles looked like to me.

It kinda does though - in terms of the faces and the costumes and the color saturation. That’s my concern.

And I don’t care how WOT might have been marketed at one point. It isn’t YA. But this is really beside the point. I’m just talking about the look of this show. 

Edited by Beidomon

7 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

It kinda does though - in terms of the faces and the costumes and the color saturation. That’s my concern.

This
The Shannara Chronicles (TV Series 2016–2017) - IMDb

Is not the same as this.

image.png

I mean, if people want this. (All blacks/grays)
Game of Thrones” Season 7, Episode 4 Recap: When They Go Low, We Shoot Fire  from the Sky | The New Yorker

They could just go watch this.

Batwoman&#39;s Poison Ivy: Bridget Regan&#39;s Most Iconic Roles - Den of Geek

22 hours ago, Agitel said:

Any thoughts on Egwene coming up in the water to the seven paints on top? My thoughts are that

Hide contents

we know the first season will cover book one and the beginning of book two. I think what we're seeing is near the end of the season and an initiation into the Tower. This shows her becoming a Novice.

Here is my thought: 

Spoiler

1. In the trailer, Moiraine mentions that "channeling" is well know but called different things by different people. This is a change from the books but actually a great one. The whole idea of wheel of time came from stories and information changing due to geographical distance

2, We know from the books that some Wisdoms actually channel when "reading the wind" and healing. Nynaeve more powerfully so.

3. I think they have changed Wisdoms a bit to sort of know that "reading the wind" involves channeling and can only be done by some women, something other wisdoms would be able to feel. Big change from books as they are wilders and do not really know.

4. As part of this, there is an initiation into being a wisdom. Somewhat like the accepted test. 

5. If you look at the color of the water and in the pool it is the same. The first scene of Egwene being pushed into the river and the pool are part of the same Wisdom initiation sequence.

6. There seems to be a terrific analogy between being thrown into a raging river and having to give up control to the process of channeling saidar itself. I think this is brilliant and does a lot of exposition in a cool way

7. Surrendering to the river somehow steers Egwene into a pool which has in it or is a ter'angreal itself confirming that she is now a wisdom (and by association "channel") and the colors represent the Ajahs of the Aes Sedai.

8 Allowing for this it makes me think that maybe the actual channeling or weaves between Ajahs itself is slightly different and it is not just a political/social divide.

It's also the most iconic image of the trailer. Conjecture on my part but I think it aligns and I love it.

Here are my thoughts: 

1. Any palette choice they would have made in terms of lighting and color saturation would not be loved by all. Personally I am thrilled that they went bright and colorful for the base of the story. It makes sense. The books read that way. But there will be plenty of darkness and faded colors too (we even see that in the trailer in Shadar Logoth) and the entire series will get darker and likely less saturated as it goes along.

2. All of the main characters seem to be absolulely perfect and their personalities immediately recognizable and true to the books. Like Elder_Hamman said just like in LOTR with the first scene of Frodo under a tree, the first scene in the inn with the 3 boys is perfect. Nynaeve and Egwene are perfect in the first scene. 

3. Egwene and Rand being a couple is an improvement. It raises the stakes and cost of what happens next.

Spoiler

My guess is that the intimate scene we see is the first (and maybe only) time they have sex. I also suspect they do it in the inn, and in a funny scene everyone (or at least Nynaeve) hears and knows

4. The Egwene pool shot is incredibly iconic and bodes well for the entire series

5. Love the looks of the Trollocs and Fade. Trollocs look more demonic, Fade looks more otherwordly horror than my mind picture but an improvement

6. Still don't love Lan, but loved seeing Lan and Moiraine fight with a magical connection. It makes so much sense.

7. Love the start bright delineation of the Ajahs as that will make the show easier to understand and is great visually. Siuans subdued multicolored stole was brilliant

8. Siuan does not really work for me but I will get over it.

9. Greatly expanding Logain makes a ton of sense. People seem to forget that even though he becomes one his redemption arc in the books is quite significant because he was pretty much an evil guy that killed many including many Aes Sedai.

10. Shadar Logoth looked awesome and the very first voice clip of Egwene and Perring comes full circle

11. Moiraine is all kinds of perfect.

12. Set design is amazing. Costume design is fantastic. Art design and cinematography seem perfect.  It looks like an expensive feature film. Definitely on par with LOTR and easily above GOT in production value

Spoiler

It seems pretty obvious the overall arc of the season and how it will be different than the books.  The focus will be on Moiraine and Egwene most in Season 1. Logain will be seen as mostly evil, super dangerous and crazy from the taint. It will make sense to gentle him. Rand will be mostly in the background. The sweet and naieve farm boy. We will learn that one of them can likely channel, and we will think it is Mat or Perrin. When Rand finally channels at the eye and kills thousands of Trollocs at Tarwins gap it will be a surprise.            

14. I had high expectations of the show and it far exceeded them

2 hours ago, Ryan al&#x27;Thor said:

On another note, I find the complaints about "lighting" or other trivial things ridiculous.

+1

I don't even notice that stuff unless it's pointed out to me. If it's pointed out, I don't care about it. I'm sure there are people who care, "connoisseurs", but I can't belive they would be a large number, or that the quality of a movie would depend largely on it.

So in way gate scene we see group riding toward gate.  Is that a Loial sighting near gate?  Also Egwene should be on Bela here.  Are we going to get some Bela love in series?  Honestly the Loial and Bela plushy set should be under every tree this year  at Christmas.

2 minutes ago, Guire said:

So in way gate scene we see group riding toward gate.  Is that a Loial sighting near gate?  Also Egwene should be on Bela here.  Are we going to get some Bela love in series?  Honestly the Loial and Bela plushy set should be under every tree this year  at Christmas.

Loial is probably the middle horse in the background. I believe Moiraine is nearest the gate, with Perrin/Egwene being on the far left background.

Any thoughts on Franzen character Stepin.  We see him crying at death of Aes Sedai.  Then we see him doing kind of crazy double axe leap in scene with possibly Moraine?  My speculation is that he is going to be some kind of amalgam of Elyas and other warders.  Not big fan of losing Long Knife but may make more sense as some one who is around more often to guide Perrin.  Wonder if Alanna picks up his bond?  Maybe have trauma be catalyst for wolf awakening.  Thus reason for early trauma to Perrin to give him an emotional arc.