DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Trailer Drops Tomorrow

Guest Wolfbrother31

3 minutes ago, Elgee said:

I want to see it in slomo! Can anyone do that? LoL ...

Firstly, I love the clothes. Looks amazing. Scenery is fantastic. I can't wait to see this! Hopefully we'll get to see it somehow here in South Africa.

On youtube, click the gear. Playback speed. You can slow it down. quite a lot. Best one can do till people clip and slow in a video editor ?

Guest Wolfbrother31

Ok. 

I've seen it like 10x now.

Super excited.

Loved the feel of the trailer.

Loved the Shadowspawn we saw.

Loved Dragonmount in the background & Amrylin Seat frame.

Not sure what the Warder with two axes Marvel jumping towards a guy was ... but looked cool.

Channeling looked amazing.

Shadar Logoth looked creepy.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh so excited.

Everyone should send the trailer to 20 ppl who aren't WoT fans!

21 minutes ago, Skipp said:

I feel that the water/paint scene is just Egwene's Wisdom initiation.  I have a feeling they are going to make certain themes more prevalent among the cultures such as the surrendering to the rivers flow and the 7 Ajah colours.

So someone with sharp eyes pointed out that when Nynaeve pushes Egwene off the cliff at the beginning of the teaser, it looks like the paint (or whatever) is already on her. So while I think it's clearly meant as foreshadowing, it seems to point more toward the Wisdom initiation than to the White Tower.

Also can't rule out a dream sequence given the foreshadowing.

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Elestan said:

I'm a bit disappointed that the flows of the One Power all seem to be generically the same.  I'd at least like to see them be tinted differently, so that you could see distinct Air, Water and Spirit in the Healing, and Air and Fire in the lightning strike.

So, RJ had said that the weaves have a color, but they're... Kind of transparent? Faint.

I have to watch the trailer on a better monitor... But I liked that the weaves weren't vivid... I didn't notice if they had a color... But my work monitor sucks.

Screenshot_20210902-170155_Chrome.jpg

Guest Wolfbrother31
2 hours ago, Agitel said:

Any thoughts on Egwene coming up in the water to the seven paints on top? My thoughts are that

Reveal hidden contents

we know the first season will cover book one and the beginning of book two. I think what we're seeing is near the end of the season and an initiation into the Tower. This shows her becoming a Novice.

I think you're right. But we might get that earlier than you think...they're going to have to condense stuff

2 hours ago, Skipp said:

I feel that the water/paint scene is just Egwene's Wisdom initiation.  I have a feeling they are going to make certain themes more prevalent among the cultures such as the surrendering to the rivers flow and the 7 Ajah colours.

It's not going to upset me or anything, but the ajah colors have no broader significance in the world. It's not like the ajahs chose the colors because of some theological reason or other. Seems unnecessary if the color coding is more widespread.

41 minutes ago, Agitel said:

It's not going to upset me or anything, but the ajah colors have no broader significance in the world. It's not like the ajahs chose the colors because of some theological reason or other. Seems unnecessary if the color coding is more widespread.

that is what I mean, I think they may introduce that those colours have a widespread significance with some of the cultures.

Another interesting thing.  If you look closely at the shot of Nynaeve pushing Egwene off of the cliff.  Egwene's dress is already stained with what appears to be the colours from the pool.  Also when Egwene emerges she doesn't have her hair in a braid but when she is pushed it is in a braid.

15 minutes ago, Skipp said:

that is what I mean, I think they may introduce that those colours have a widespread significance with some of the cultures.

Another interesting thing.  If you look closely at the shot of Nynaeve pushing Egwene off of the cliff.  Egwene's dress is already stained with what appears to be the colours from the pool.  Also when Egwene emerges she doesn't have her hair in a braid but when she is pushed it is in a braid.

Probably because those two scenes are unrelated.
The scene with the paint in the pool of water, was in a circular well-like enclosed space. The cliff face was straight into a river.

6 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Probably because those two scenes are unrelated.
The scene with the paint in the pool of water, was in a circular well-like enclosed space. The cliff face was straight into a river.

That doesn't explain the brown, yellow and red streak stains on Egwene's dress just before she is pushed.

Unfortunately I am at work and cannot grab the screenshots but check the trailer again between 0 and 3 seconds.

Edited by Skipp

So in the opening shot, Egwene either has a massive mole on her nose or a third nostril. Then Nynaeve says “be strong” in an accent that’s gonna take a lot of getting used to for a TR native, and shoves Eg off a cliff. Huh.

Then there’s some dude crying over a ring and Eg coming up from a pool of paint. Huh. Not real excited so far. 

White Tower is super small. Maybe Rafe didn’t want it to be too phallic?

Moraine says there’s a “power inside you.” She didn’t say that in the books did she? I mean, it’s not a “power inside” anybody. 

Eg and Rand are definitely having sex. That’s a new development. 

Maybe my biggest concern is that all the characters look a little too clean. A little too YA. A little too Twilighty. No? It doesn’t look gritty enough. My first thought when I saw the Aes Sedai was “this kinda looks like that shitty Wrinkle in Time movie.” We’re a long way away from GOT, that’s for sure. 

Everything else looks pretty good. The fade kicks ass. The trollocs look good. The weaving is just regular old “magic wavy lines” special effects but that’s fine, I guess. We’re gonna see plenty of it in Winternight.

Edited by Beidomon

2 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

Compare the tower to the size of the trees surrounding it at the 26 second mark.  I think we are underestimating the size of the tower maybe due to its height versus width.  The Sitters Hall on the other hand seems rather small unless it is designed for only sitters/petitioners to be on the floor while watches are in the rings above.

18 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

So in the opening shot, Egwene either has a massive mole on her nose or a third nostril. Then Nynaeve says “be strong” in an accent that’s gonna take a lot of getting used to for a TR native, and shoves Eg off a cliff. Huh.

Then there’s some dude crying over a ring and Eg coming up from a pool of paint. Huh. Not real excited so far. 

Moraine says there’s a “power inside you.” She didn’t say that in the books did she? I mean, it’s not a “power inside” anybody. 

Eg and Rand are definitely having sex. That’s a new development. 

Maybe my biggest concern is that all the characters look a little too clean. A little too YA. A little too Twilighty. No? It doesn’t look gritty enough. My first thought when I saw the Aes Sedai was “this kinda looks like that shitty Wrinkle in Time movie.” We’re a long way away from GOT, that’s for sure. 

Everything else looks pretty good. The fade kicks ass. The trollocs look good. The weaving is just regular old “magic wavy lines” special effects but that’s fine, I guess. We’re gonna see plenty of it in Winternight.

If you look more closely at the white tower in relation to the outer wall and other buildings and trees, the structure is massive.  Quite wide though. Not tall and skinny.  But still like 20 or more stories high. 

I was having a hard time putting my finger on what gave me a little pause about the trailer (which overall I liked) and I think you described it well: a little too clean and YA. Not gritty or real feeling. Maybe the bright colors contributed.  Maybe the whole show will have a grittier/realer feel, but I agree GOT did that well, and I am a little nervous for that aspect here. 

2 hours ago, Skipp said:

That doesn't explain the brown, yellow and red streak stains on Egwene's dress just before she is pushed.

Unfortunately I am at work and cannot grab the screenshots but check the trailer again between 0 and 3 seconds.

I'd hazard a guess, those colors are a result of Bel Tine.

I was having a hard time putting my finger on what gave me a little pause about the trailer (which overall I liked) and I think you described it well: a little too clean and YA. Not gritty or real feeling. Maybe the bright colors contributed. Maybe the whole show will have a grittier/realer feel, but I agree GOT did that well, and I am a little nervous for that aspect here. 

Wheel of Time was never "gritty, grimdark" like game of thrones. 

It always had a "YA" feel to the novels, regardless of what most of you think "YA" is. (Some of you might be surprised how screwed up, dark, and grim YA can be...)

The world in the Wheel of Time, at the beginning of the first chapter is very much at the height of "Things are alright". 

Things go south, fast. We get chases, battles, ect... nothing near as "gritty/real/grim dark" as GOT... We don't start getting that until Dumais Wells. When stuff gets real, real fast.

8 hours ago, Elestan said:

I'm a bit disappointed that the flows of the One Power all seem to be generically the same.  I'd at least like to see them be tinted differently, so that you could see distinct Air, Water and Spirit in the Healing, and Air and Fire in the lightning strike.

My hope is that we are seeing the Power interacting with the world from the eyes of a non channeler, and that eventually we will see the weaves in color - possibly when Rand touches it for the first time or somesuch. Like seeing a magic trick from the eyes of a spectator and not the magician. 

9 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Wheel of Time was never "gritty, grimdark" like game of thrones. 

It always had a "YA" feel to the novels, regardless of what most of you think "YA" is. (Some of you might be surprised how screwed up, dark, and grim YA can be...)

You’re actually speaking to at least two different issues here: the plotting of the series and the look of the series.

WOT is not YA for the simple fact that… it is not YA. There’s no YA series that spans over 10,000 pages. RJ’s writing is beautiful and complex, sometimes overly complex, but certainly not the often inane fanfic prose that makes up far too much YA. WOT is not a series written for teenagers, even if it is appropriate content-wise for teenagers.

Now, I agree that WOT isn’t nearly as dark as GOT. And I’m not saying it should be. But I am saying that one of WOT’s biggest flaws was that the plot wasn’t dark and gritty enough. Things often came too easily to the good guys, the baddies were almost completely incompetent, and most of the characters were way too flat - either being clearly good or bad. I am hoping the TV series can fix this, but that wasn’t my point when I said the trailer looks YA.

I meant that the trailer looks YA. Everybody - not just the EF5 - looks bright and beautiful. Even the battle-hardened warders and Aes Sedai. Perfect makeup. Even in the battle scenes it’s like “ok make it look like they’ve been in a battle - but they still gotta look sexy!” I get that these beautiful actors and actresses, but ugly them up a little bit! Make them look real! All the colors, even the outdoor stuff, look overly saturated. It just looks YA. And if it looks YA, the plotting may be YA, too. 

There’s been a lot of debate over whether WOTTV will or should be “woke” - well it’s gonna be. That seems pretty inescapable now. But I don’t think any of us wanted WOTTV to look YA.

Edited by Beidomon

10 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

WOT is not YA for the simple fact that… it is not YA. There’s no YA series that spans over 10,000 pages. RJ’s writing is beautiful and complex, sometimes overly complex, but certainly not the often inane fanfic prose that makes up far too much YA. WOT is not a series written for teenagers, even if it is appropriate content-wise for teenagers.

Except for that time they literally marketed WoT as YA.

"YA" is a marketing gimmick, rather than a real genre.
Framing all YA as "Fanfic Prose" comes off as gatekeeping.

Does a lot of YA read like "fanfic"? Certainly.

I'd personally label a lot of WoT, and most Sanderson's novels as YA. Why? Because Teens/Young Adults should certainly read the series. 
Many here highly disagree with that sentiment, because to many, YA is a "curse word".
From the Two Rivers: The Eye of the World, Part 1 by Robert Jordan

Per Wikipedia.

Young adult fiction (YA) is a category of fiction written for readers from 12 to 18 years of age. 

While the genre is targeted to adolescents, approximately half of YA readers are adults.

The subject matter and genres of YA correlate with the age and experience of the protagonist. The genres available in YA are expansive and include most of those found in adult fiction.

Common themes related to YA include friendship, first love, relationships, and identity. Stories that focus on the specific challenges of youth are sometimes referred to as problem novels or coming-of-age novels.

Young adult fiction was developed to soften the transition between children's novels and adult literature."

An analysis of YA novels between 1980 and 2000 found seventeen expansive literary themes. The most common of these were friendship, getting into trouble, romantic and sexual interest, and family life. Other common thematic elements revolve around the coming-of-age nature of the texts. This includes narratives about self-identity, life and death, and individuality.

15 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

I meant that the trailer looks YA. Everybody - not just the EF5 - looks bright and fresh-faced. Even the battle-hardened warders and Aes Sedai. Perfect makeup. Even in the battle scenes it’s like “ok make it look like they’ve been in a battle - but they still gotta look sexy!” All the colors, even the outdoor stuff, look overly saturated. It just looks YA. And if it looks YA, the plotting may be YA, too. 

... If we want the show to be accurate to the books.. They're supposed to look bright and fresh faced. These kids haven't seen... anything yet. They're not supposed to be jaded.

Also.. am I literally the only one that remembers the EF5 always wondering how Moiraine looked so "clean", while they're all covered in sweat/dirt?

17 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

There’s been a lot of debate over whether WOTTV will or should be “woke” - well it’s gonna be. That seems pretty inescapable now. But I don’t think any of us wanted WOTTV to look YA.

Fresh, bright colors. People not covered in gore & and filth. Buildings look new and upkept instead of ruins, or near falling apart. That doesn't look like "YA" to me, whatever that means.

It also doesn't look like "MTV" teen drama to me either, which is what Shanara Chronicles looked like to me.

1 hour ago, Beidomon said:

I meant that the trailer looks YA. Everybody - not just the EF5 - looks bright and beautiful. Even the battle-hardened warders and Aes Sedai. Perfect makeup. Even in the battle scenes it’s like “ok make it look like they’ve been in a battle - but they still gotta look sexy!” I get that these beautiful actors and actresses, but ugly them up a little bit! Make them look real! All the colors, even the outdoor stuff, look overly saturated. It just looks YA. And if it looks YA, the plotting may be YA, too. 

Good grief it's amazing how we can see things completely differently!

Here I was looking at it and thinking well now they've given the Aes Sedai all these spiffy, fancy clothes to wear, why the heck can't they have them using at least a little bit of makeup? They all look so ... well worn.

As for the "overly colourful" opinions: I for one am grateful for a clear picture where I can actually make out some details, instead of it all just being a dark blur.

And I'm also not looking for any kind of repeat of GoT.