DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The 'Called It' Thread

Randommer

Either Mesaana will come back in a new body or we will see the transmigration of Lanfear.

http://www.theorylan...ain.php?i=627#8

Interview: Oct 15th, 2011

NY ComicCon Report - Ted Herman (Paraphrased)

Ted Herman

What makes a body suitable for a transmigrated Forsaken besides channeling ability?

Brandon Sanderson

The Dark One looks for certain things that are not available in just any body, and we will see an illustrated example of this in A Memory of Light.

http://www.theorylan...in.php?i=590#11

Interview: Jan 10th, 2011

Tor Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Verbatim)

Andrew B ()

In Towers of Midnight's glossary, it is noted that Mesaana is destroyed (as opposed to Asmodean and Aran'gar who are noted to have been killed). If the Aes Sedai were to execute Mesaana, would the Dark One be able to put Mesaana's soul in another body? Or since her mind was destroyed, is Mesaana's soul permanently damaged?

Brandon Sanderson ()

Nobody's soul gets permanently damaged in that way in the Wheel of Time. Whether the Dark One can recover her and transmigrate her soul or not is a RAFO.

http://www.theorylan...in.php?i=622#14

Interview: Aug 31st, 2011

Reddit AMA (Verbatim)

Terez ()

Will we get more details on how/if Lanfear died in A Memory of Light?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
“The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. The great battle done, but the world not done with battle. The land divided by the return, and the guardians balance the servants. The future teeters on the edge of a blade.”

The first seems to refer to the Rand-girls, so it seems likely that Rand is he who is dead yet lives. So I guess Rand will transfer to another formof beeing, either bound to the horn (seems too simple), or merge or somehow take the place of the DO (not becoming one himself but something better, but not entierly good).

A lot has been said about Min's viewing that Rand has to die and that this must happen as Min's viewings are never wrong. This has led to Rand's being resurrected etc etc. If this happens I would be greatly disappointed! I just can't see RJ using bible analogy.

Rand will die - in a parallel "if" life as he travels through portal stones for some reason and Min will be proven right.

Rand will die (as he sees it) because he will be gentled (maybe he will need to be gentled to survive) - "must die to live"

Okay....

All through the book... we have not lost one of the major GOOD characters.

There are several of them, and all of them have survived.

I believe that...:

Cam will be saved but desimated.

Rand, Mat, Perrin will survive, as will their spouces.

The Dragon will bind the 9 moons to him. So That profacy has not played out yet.

The broken crown has not come up.

There is actually ALOT that has not come up that Min has "seen".

Rand touched the TP once, I think he might do it again.

Ny will cure Rand's madness.

The Ogier will come to the last battle.

More "wolfbrothers" will appear.. probably only one or two new ones..

Several of the other minor characters from the previous books *the ones who only lasted a page or two* may show at the last battle.

My predictions...

Rand kills the DO and/or shoves his prison away from the Pattern, which then 'heals' the Bore on its own.

Rand dies permanently. Funeral at Dragonmount.

(Highly speculative) Time becomes linear.

Fain is metaphorically or literally shoved down the DO's throat, weakening him and allowing Rand to do his thing.

Alivia kills Moridin, after sussing out the link between him and Rand.

Rand's channeling the TP makes him vulnerable to the DO. The resulting, potentially devastating, consequences are somehow averted, possibly by Moiraine/Nyneave.

Callendor important because flaw allows the channeling of a near infinite amount of Power.

The Light's forces are attacked at Merrilor. Potentially severe casualties inflicted on the Light's forces. Egwene hero of the hour. First hints that Rand's TP usage has negatively affected him.

Caemlyn saved but is out of the fight i.e. too damaged to be defensible. Will probably be abandoned by the Light's military.

Logain and Co defeats Taim and Co at the BT.

Egwene will be a general badass. Chances are her and Perrin will tag-team to take Slayer down.

BT and WT allied post Last Battle. Logain becomes head of the BT.

Avi's attempt to prevent the future from her vision causes that vision to come true.

Lan survives. Actually, I think that all of the Light's main cast survive, except for Rand.

All Forsaken down for the count.

Elayne's children born an a battlefield.

If Mat and Toun discuss the issue of the Seanchean invasion of Randland, Mat will fail to convince her to call it off. Chances are that he will agree that it is necessary.

As for Demandred; it turns out that he has been strategically moving Shadowspawn around and placing them in the most unexpected of places. Once the Last Battle kicks off, these units cause absolute havoc. Plus, he's been teaching his pet corrupt Aiel how to use Balefire.

...and those're my two cents.

Alivia will help rand die by telling him about the bloodknife rings. He will use all of them with the dull dagger to sneak into sg during an eclipse. fain will track him there.

Rand and many other dead will be returned with the horn. The victory of the light will leave many, many dreadlords and darkfriends to deal with as the end game plays out. Nyn will heal Lan of death, tho.

With rand dead, Logan will lead the forces of light to victory, at least he will appear to as rand dies alone in sg. Logan will die heroically and be remembered as the champion of light by the masses.

6. The "Song" must be found, a combination of the tinkers, Seanchan Ogier and randland Ogier will find the song with the Aiel.

There is no one mystical "song". The memories of all the different songs have become merged over the years.

Originally Posted by RJ

Melbourne Film Festival - Steven Cooper (Paraphrased), Aug 27th, 1999

Troy Terry: Seriously, though, any bets on whether the Tinkers will ever find the Song? I bet it's the harvest song from Rand's Aiel memories.

Steven Cooper: I asked RJ about this when he was in Melbourne last week, and (amazingly) got a straight answer.

Robert Jordan: The Song the Tinkers are seeking is the song Rand heard in Rhuidean—or, to be exact, the memories of that song and others like it have become merged, over the years, into the concept of one mystical Song.

Fyodor I like your style and long thought something similar but mine differs:

Rand does really permanently defeat the DO by taking his place becoming the new lord of death, or more accurately death and rebirth, as foreshadowed by his title Lord of the Morning, his attempt at resurrection in tDR, and the Tinkers with the song as the true People of the Dragon. No seal will be required and thus Rand will be both dead and not gone. Posted this on Theoryland many years ago but can’t locate it anymore.

This will be accomplished through the 3-1 theory that Rand, Moridin, and the DO merge.

Callandor will be the key by – allowing Rand to wield even more power than the CK. Its remaining secret is it facilitates a limitless circle at any range, enabling Rand to tap into its power plus the cumulative power of every remaining channeler. This brings us full circle from the prideful Companions assault on the Bore to a cooperative, full force effort to defeat the DO. Kumbaya

Callandor will only give Rand enough power to force the merger. He doesn’t have enough will to wrest control of the 1 body from the DO, or the DO and Moridin.

Tuon using the power of the Crystal Throne, her indomitable will, and her life time sul’dam training, in conjunction with Matt’s luck/ta’veren-ness takes control (like using an a’dam/compulsion mix) of the struggling, merged Rand+Moridin+DO, giving Rand the support to subsume them.

Who the freak has orchestrated all these pieces to work together? The creator; the pattern; someone else; is Moridin a closet Lighter setting up the ultimate double-cross?

A new cycle will begin with Padan Fain as the new, lesser great force of evil, ala LoTR/Silmarillion.

The Wheel turns out to be not a continuous circle but a spiral with both repetition and direction, easily mistaken by Randlanders as continuous repetition. Thus RJ has been both truthful, cycles and repetitive Ages are real and permanent, and deceitful, change does happen.

The BT circles will be overcome either by surprise (to the darksiders) use of the “dragons” or an additional circle related ability of Callandor to take control of formed circles. (OK I am grasping but the atomic level power of single circles let alone multiple is something I struggle to reconcile with anything but the end of time.)

Cadsuane is going to beat down the outted DF, Sorilea, when the WO tries to ambush Rand.

This will be the book where people actually talk, listen to each other, and act reasonably.

Taim is a non-Forsaken, War of Power dreadlord somehow preserved like the Forsaken to the current Age. Sure Taim could be Moridin, but his day job manipulating the entire world seems a bit too intense for moonlighting as a DF mole running the BT during its rapid expansion.

Rand built the Black Tower with a secret motive. He intended that it would be infiltrated and that he would use it as a trap to eliminate the new dreadloards, or at least give him the advantage of knowing where 90% of the new dreadlords are when the Last Battle starts.

Screen time for the Tinkers and the reveal of the Song will be short, sweet, and a calm spot in the eye of the maelstrom of action.

The Maidens will make a final stand at Shayol Ghul to buy Rand time, getting wiped out to a woman. This includes the Bain, Chiad, and Gaul love triangle. Ok so I probably missed a Min viewing on that one, so sue me.

Some crazy, rich WoT fan will bribe a Tor employee for the manuscript and leak it. Not only Tor, but WoT fans will be devastated.

1. Lan, Gawyn, and Gareth Bryne will use the blood rings Gawyn took their Warder bonds will protect them from the ill effects.

2. Three Ta'veren at Shayol gul will seal the Dark One in his prison. Also, the gathered armies/farmers of the world gathered there/near there with their NEED will play a part.

3. Aviendiah will be unsuccessful in averting the fate of her people (as far as we can ever tell).

4. Mat will end up on the side of the Seanchan.

5. The Seanchan will take Far Madding.

More stuff will happen.. lots of it.

Right everyone there will be some shocking things and some not so shocking things that will happen in amol

Let's start with the non shocking things first

The dark one will be sealed. No patches no bores but pure prison. Completely healed by the pattern. lanfear rupture undone. the job involves taking the sting of the dark one long enough to absorb it and push him back which gives the pattern the time to heal the rupture lanfear has caused. Game over.

nothing spectacular you see.

Moridin and fain will die on the slopes of shayol ghul. Rest of the forsaken meet their end as well. Locations unknown.

Now for the shocking things to happen.

Contrary to public opinion on dragonmount rand al thor will live past the last battle. No TAR BS. No horn member. But a fully living man. He will lose his ability to channel. He will run off with min and disappear from the scene of the crime and everyone save a few will think he's dead. He's offcially retired from all things channelling and one power after the last battle

Logain asumes the leadership of the ashaman. No black tower. remember it gets vapourised by the battle between taim/logain/androl/pevara and others. No taim no dreadlords means he has one option. A fresh begiining for the ashman. And that is Tar Valon. He will live in tha huge elaida palace next to the aes sedai. He will be the first fully crowned male aes sedai after 3000 years. And he will be the leader of them. His glory complete.

Egwene ofcourse will be the reigning female aes sedai leader and she will begin the first few steps to reintegrating men into the ancient aes sedai symbol of men and women channellers as one.

lan dies. nynaveve dies and ofcourse cadsuane. Oh did i mention tenobia and davram bashere? the aiel will go back to the three lands with aviendha as leader.

tuon and mat go on the run from the seanchan who have completely disowned them by now. The seanchan go back to seander licking their wounds and wait tor their next attempt to invade randland. I dont care about perrin. he's boring. assumes the broken throne and rules saldea, two rivers and whatnot.

the end

1. Fain will get pissed off at the DO even more than at Rand, because the DO kind of caused him to exist, and he will actually help Rand.

2. Mazrim Taim is Demandred.

3.Tuon will die, leaving Mat as the Emperor of Seanchan.

4. Rand will convince Moridin to help. Between him and Fain, they will turn the tide.

5 Callandor is stated as magnifying the taint. I believe that it will magnify the amount of TP that Rand can channel, which will be the thing that he touches the prison to (instead of Saidin), sealing the DO away.

6. With no limits on Callandor, Rand will have on last strike at the DO with the combined force of the male and female halfs of the OP. The resulting over-extension of his abilities will kill him.

7. The Dragon Reborn will turn out to be the Creator (Makes sense from what Fel said. Also, perhaps caused by Callandor). It wouldn't be the first time Brandon has done this, and I feel that if RJ had sketched out a scene like this, Harriett might have decided on Brandon because of the Hero of Ages.

I am still not sure about most of these, because I don't know how Aviendha is going to change things, but I feel pretty good about most of them. I've heard that number 2 has been refuted, but I think that it is either Taim or Logain, and Taim makes sense, especially because of the army comment that he made to Moridin in front of Graendal. With all of the armies of the world already accounted for except for Shara (which is in a state of madness) and the aptly named Land of Madmen, the only armies left are shadowspawn armies and the Black Tower. Also, Mesaana and Semirhage were attempting to get the Seanchan and the White Tower, which would have made it likely that Demandred would go after the only other significant body of channellers: the men.

2. Mazrim Taim is Demandred.

Please tell me you are joking. Here is just one of many times RJ has refuted it.

Interview: Apr 20th, 2004

TOR Questions of the Week Part I (Verbatim)

Week 4 Question

At recent book signing following the release of Crossroads of Twilight, it was reported that you confirmed that the Forsaken Demandred has never posed as the man known as Mazrim Taim, who was introduced to Rand at the beginning of Lord of Chaos. Have you confirmed that Demandred has never posed as the man known as Mazrim Taim, leader of the Black Tower?

Robert Jordan

Yes. Demandred has never posed as Mazrim Taim. All right, those of who fell over from the shock of a simple, straightforward answer can get up off the floor now. Sometimes, simple and straightforward can be the most devious of all, as any student of Aes Sedai will tell you.

3.Tuon will die, leaving Mat as the Emperor of Seanchan.

We know both Mat and Tuon survive as RJ was planning "Outrigger" novels of them going back together to reclaim Seanchan.

7. The Dragon Reborn will turn out to be the Creator (Makes sense from what Fel said. Also, perhaps caused by Callandor). It wouldn't be the first time Brandon has done this, and I feel that if RJ had sketched out a scene like this, Harriett might have decided on Brandon because of the Hero of Ages.

Fel in fact directly states that the DR is not the Creator.

Interview: Jan 18th, 2003

COT Signing Report - Tallis (Paraphrased)

Robert Jordan

Rand has no direct connection with the Creator. The Creator is completely removed from the world; aside from...creating...the Pattern, he does nothing else whatsoever to influence anything.

Anyone watch "avatar?" I really hope it doesnt, but I get this feeling that how Rand beats the DO is like how Avatar Aang sucks out the firelord's ability to bend stuff.

Like when Aang turned all black except for one tiny point of light and BANG the purity of his heart won over the evil...i see something like that happening with Rand and his VoG...

Maybe i watch too much cartoons.

The Ogier will learn how to make a stedding again which they will do over the FOM/SG such that no one can channel thus rendering most of the forces of the DO useless allowing the skilled armies of the people to take control

The Ogier will learn how to make a stedding again which they will do over the FOM/SG such that no one can channel thus rendering most of the forces of the DO useless allowing the skilled armies of the people to take control

Hmm. I wonder if the TP can be accessed in a stedding? Must ask.

ETA: I got an answer, in the Q&A thread. Apparently it can't.

1. Rand will involve the TP in breaking the seals. (Clear away the rubble and start fresh).

2. Moraine and Nyneave will be with him at the end.

3. Rand will take on the ultimate sacrifice to save the world by defeating the DO and sealing the Bore with himself on the otherside. By removing himself from the Wheel, he would effectively "Break the Cycle"

Actually don't give ideas to the bad guys. Its the bad guys that have limitless amounts of trollocs and other weirdos that are physically bigger and stronger than the forces of good. If we didn't have the one power to even the odds, the trollocs would pour in the FOM likes gravy on mashed potatoes.

i doubt it, but what if the "memory of light" is the meeting at tfom. i just had this odd thought about the story moiraine told in the two rivers near the start of the series right before they leave. rand has a true memory of light, or at least days before the shadow. i doubt it would sway them to think that he should destroy the seals, that i think will be something different, but maybe giving them a memory of that, life without war, can rally them against the shadow.

This is less of a "called it" and more speculation: can we reliably say that the training and wrangling of the Samma N'Sei was/is entirely Ishamael/Moridin's operation? He seems like the obvious candidate for starting the program, but doesn't it make sense that others would be part of it as well? I don't think Demandred is involved here because the evidence doesn't support it, but are there new Forsaken at work, or other high-ranking Dreadlords, or do the Eye Blinders just look after themselves at this point?

Anyone watch "avatar?" I really hope it doesnt, but I get this feeling that how Rand beats the DO is like how Avatar Aang sucks out the firelord's ability to bend stuff.

Like when Aang turned all black except for one tiny point of light and BANG the purity of his heart won over the evil...i see something like that happening with Rand and his VoG...

Maybe i watch too much cartoons.

I watched Avatar! That was the greatest cartoon series ever, the greatest TV show ever bar Breaking Bad and the Twilight Zone.

Back on topic... I'm gonna have to say that Rand dies. Period. No body transfer, no Nynaeve healing him after three days... he's dead. Maybe he'll go to TAR, but I feel like the fact that the Dragon's Soul has to be kept in the Wheel so that it can be called upon will make it so that he doesn't go to TAR. This series would be no fun if none of the main characters die. I'm hoping for 3 of the big 6 (Rand/Mat/Perrin/Nyn/Elayne/Egwene), maybe Rand/Nyn/Elayne or Rand/Nyn/Perrin will die. This is more hope than speculation, to be honest.

The whole bit about the Dragon riding again on the winds of time? With the book 3/4 over, the good guys basically lose. But Rand figures out a way to travel back in time, into his past self. Nynaeve is part of the Circle that does it, and the people bonded with them come along too (except Alanna, she's dead at this point). Rand lands in himself on the road to Emond's Field at the start of the Eye of the World. He kills the Fade, travels into own to pick Nynaeve, Mat, Perrin, Lan and Moiraine. Min and Elayne join the party shortly thereafter. Dropping Perrin off with the tinkers and Mat off in The Court of Nine Moons, Rand then travels to the White Tower. He and Nynaeve get Verin and the oath rod, then get her unsworn from the Shadow and sworn to Rand.

The book is used to purge the White Tower overnight, and then Rand travels to the Waste, where Aviendha has gathered the Wse Ones who have gathered the Clan Chiefs. Rand takes them to Tear, where he picks up Callandor. Then he goes to Rhuidean, where he snags the access ter'angreal and makes sure he's properly dragon-marked. He gives a short speech about the history of the Aiel, then heads to Shadar Logoth where Nynaeve and Aes Sedai are waiting. The Aes Sedai form several dozen circles to protect Rand and Nynaeve while they work. With the taint cleansed, Nynaeve removes the little bit of madness in Rand, and then they go pick up Logain. Rand has Nynaeve heal him, and tells him to start gathering men to train - and Rand is able to provide a good short list of where to start.

Rand has Nynaeve hide her ability to channel, and then they check in on how Mat is doing. At the Court of Nine Moons, Rand has Nynaeve put a leash on a few Sul'dam. Rand then threatens to travel to every kennel in Seanchan, leasing Sul'dam, unless the Empress agrees to work with him against the Dark One and forebear from leashing women in the eastern lands. With Seanchan aid secured, the White Tower purged, the Aiel on board, Rand then has the Aes Sedai gather up the world leaders. He has them all agree to the Dragon Peace, then he gathers up the Seals, breaks them, and successfully launches an assault on the Dark Ones prison, resealing him.

They all live happily ever after. Perrin lives out his days with the Tinkers. Mat becomes Prince of the Ravens. Rand goes back to herding sheep. Min joins him. The last scene of the book is Egwene arriving at the White Tower for the first time.

On a more serious note: Rand will live, but he'll have the ability to channel burnt out of him, beyond even Nynaeve's ability to fix. He'll be OK with that.

@Hopefire LOL, that was not bad. I'm not sure if you know this but there are actually some serious reasons to expect some time manipulations in AMOL.

The following quote by BS is very interesting.

Luckers

How much time does A Memory of Light cover?

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on which part of the world you are in. You will understand that when you read A Memory of Light.

and check out this theory about Avi's time traveling gateway.

Archived