DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The 'Called It' Thread

Randommer

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Rand will die and remain dead and the OP will be lost to mankind

The second part of that, at the very least, has been debunked.

Not really-he just says that the fourth age wouldn't be an age like ours in which the OP has been forgotten. He doesn't say that it will still work.

It's pretty clear that our age is the Age of Myths (two ages before the present one) since the "myths" from the age of myths include references to our world (Mosk and Merk, Lenn flying in the belly of an eagle, Lisbet the queen).

I agree though that there seem to be some specific prophecies (Nicola's fortelling) that preclude the OP from disappearing in the next age.

I'll give an out-there prediction.

Rand "defeats" the Dark One but becomes trapped in Shayol Ghul and becomes the next Dark One. We learn that every time the Dragon fights the Dark One, he becomes trapped as the next generation's Dark One and that Dark One is freed to be the next turning's mortal hero.

Alternately, something along those lines with Padan Fain, in which he becomes the new Dark One, and what is currently considered the Shadow becomes the Mordeth-counterpoint force of the next turning.

Rand "defeats" the Dark One but becomes trapped in Shayol Ghul and becomes the next Dark One. We learn that every time the Dragon fights the Dark One, he becomes trapped as the next generation's Dark One and that Dark One is freed to be the next turning's mortal hero.

LTT didn't get trapped in Shayol Ghul. If he had then there'd be no Dragonmount upon which Rand could be born. Unless you're suggesting some sort of body swap ... but the story of LTT's end of days don't seem to hint at that in any way. Then again, if the DO did a body swap with the Dragon then he basically has escaped and so the Dragon would basically lose.

Has this quote been up in the interview database all the time since 2009? I didn't know about it. I remember trying to convince people here last year that the OP won't disappear based on Min's viewing in TOM of a woman who will learn to channel and become an Aes Sedai which can not happen before the LB. It would have been easier to use this quote.

Edit: Never mind. I see by fyodor's post that this quote would not convince everybody either.

The Foxhead Medallion will play a big role somehow.

... is it just me, or has the world forgotten about this object which, in my mind, is one of the most powerful ... ever?

It seems as if the world at large has forgotten, although Cads and Nyn have ones that function the same in their Paralis-nets. Some people know about them but given they are a breaking era creation it's not surprising the knowledge was lost to time on the whole.

LTT didn't get trapped in Shayol Ghul. If he had then there'd be no Dragonmount upon which Rand could be born. Unless you're suggesting some sort of body swap ... but the story of LTT's end of days don't seem to hint at that in any way. Then again, if the DO did a body swap with the Dragon then he basically has escaped and so the Dragon would basically lose.

They could alternate turnings of the wheel-each one replaces the other for the next turning. I agree that Rand is LTT reborn and LTT didn't get trapped, but that was within the same turning.

The term death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain is changed when Nynaeve gets mad at rand and literally crushes him to death with a mountain.

Nynaeve will be mad enough to pull the braid that isn't there.

mat will hear dice in his head

perrin will wonder about woman

Loail will talk about being as hasty as a human

And min will call rand a lumox at some point

Has this quote been up in the interview database all the time since 2009? I didn't know about it.

Not since 2009; we didn't get the database finished until....I don't remember when. About a year ago? But if it makes you feel any better, I didn't know about it either. I made a Facebook post talking about how I felt this was the only thing we could really take away from Aviendha's vision of the future, since most other things are subject to change. But if the Power doesn't go away due to the mechanism by which the Bore is sealed, then I don't see how it will go away immediately because I doubt there is much room for variation in the proper sealing of the Bore. Anyway, I posted that, and Marie Curie pointed out the quote, which I hadn't previously noticed. And I don't see how fyodor's post argues against it.

Not since 2009; we didn't get the database finished until....I don't remember when. About a year ago?

Thanks, I thought I just missed it.

But if it makes you feel any better, I didn't know about it either. I made a Facebook post talking about how I felt this was the only thing we could really take away from Aviendha's vision of the future, since most other things are subject to change. But if the Power doesn't go away due to the mechanism by which the Bore is sealed, then I don't see how it will go away immediately because I doubt there is much room for variation in the proper sealing of the Bore. Anyway, I posted that, and Marie Curie pointed out the quote, which I hadn't previously noticed. And I don't see how fyodor's post argues against it.

fyodor has several posts on this page. I meant this one.

Not really-he just says that the fourth age wouldn't be an age like ours in which the OP has been forgotten. He doesn't say that it will still work.

He says it's not the Age where the One Power is forgotten; that's pretty explicit.

He says it's not the Age where the One Power is forgotten; that's pretty explicit.

Not that I think the OP will disappear, but unless there's a case of mass amnesia, obviously the OP won't be forgotten in the next Age. That doesn't say it'll still be around, though.

Not that I think the OP will disappear, but unless there's a case of mass amnesia, obviously the OP won't be forgotten in the next Age. That doesn't say it'll still be around, though.

If you read the whole quote its not only " though the Wheel will eventually turn to a point where the One Power is forgotten" but also "and the land becomes like our world, that is NOT the Fourth Age." Pretty obvious what he means there IMO, especially considering the second part.

You guys are focusing on what appear to be semantic loopholes...but they're not, in context:

Aldoth

The question that I have for you is, now that you know the ending of Wheel of Time, after the final book has been released will it be a world that you could set a game in? Or will it be like Tolkien where after the end of Lord of the Rings the world is pretty much over? I ask because it looks to be a great place to set an RPG and I want to know if I should be looking to a time before The Eye of the World or if I should run a new age?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to stick pretty close to things Mr. Jordan has said or implied regarding this. Things he has said have implied strongly that it is not going to be like Tolkien; though the Wheel will eventually turn to a point where the One Power is forgotten and the land becomes like our world, that is NOT the Fourth Age. I think it would still be a fantastic place to set an RPG game.

The comparison to Tolkien is explicit. The end of Tolkien's Third Age was the end of magic. Brandon said it's not going to be like Tolkien. He then went on to say how, exactly, it's not like Tolkien, which is something that Brandon, an English major well-versed in the tropes, has talked about over and over again. In context, it's quite clear what he meant.

Rand Lives (its a standard of most fantasy to not kill off the main character)

Elayne Lives

Min Dies (please let it be so)

Aviendha Lives

Egwene Lives

Gawyn Lives

Galad Lives

Berelain Lives (one prophecy/dream/viewing regarding those two was a love story for the ages so they gotta keep going)

Perrin Lives

Faile Lives

Thom Dies

Moiraine Dies (we don't know Min's viewing of her, but I can guess it is fairly crucial)

Mat Lives

Tuon Lives

There will be no Seanchan presence at the Last Battle (We know the Essanik Cycle is partially corrupted and partially valid, I think the "bowing before the crystal throne" is one of the corruptions designed to delay Rand if at all possible)

Fain dies

DO is fully imprisoned again

Ah, Terez, you enjoy killing people's dreams don't you ;)

My completely unrealistic predictions that I hope come true:

1. Lan, Min, Avi and Elayne all die.
  2. Nyn brings Rand back to life and bonds him. As the only two true Aes Sedai they start an angsty romantic relationship
  3. Valen Luca turns up
  4. Lanfear turns to the light, does something awesome, then dies.
  5. Pevara (sp?) kills Taim
  6. Egwene is forced to kill Gawyn; Galad kills Egwene
  7. Slayer kills Moridin

If you read the whole quote its not only " though the Wheel will eventually turn to a point where the One Power is forgotten" but also "and the land becomes like our world, that is NOT the Fourth Age." Pretty obvious what he means there IMO, especially considering the second part.

By "becomes like our world" I understood him to mean that we'd reach the point of the wheel that is actually the "real world" era as Jordan as referred to our world being both the past and future of the current Age. In our Age no one remembers the OP. I don't know why he'd say that the one power hadn't been forgotten if he just meant that it hadn't disappeared.

I agree generally that there will be OP in the next age. Nicola's Foretelling talks about the Guardians balancing the Servants after the last battle, which means there will be channeling.

By "becomes like our world" I understood him to mean that we'd reach the point of the wheel that is actually the "real world" era as Jordan as referred to our world being both the past and future of the current Age. In our Age no one remembers the OP. I don't know why he'd say that the one power hadn't been forgotten if he just meant that it hadn't disappeared.

I agree generally that there will be OP in the next age. Nicola's Foretelling talks about the Guardians balancing the Servants after the last battle, which means there will be channeling.

Fyodor please give over. The quote should be enough and if it isn't Terez's last post makes it certain beyond any reasonable doubt. You need to take the entire quote in context of what he was trying to convey.

Ah, Terez, you enjoy killing people's dreams don't you ;)

Not really. I just figure we shouldn't waste time debating things that have already been clarified. And I also figure that we'll all be happier with the last book if we can debunk some of the wrong theories beforehand. If there are a bunch of people expecting the Power to go away at the end, they're bound to be disappointed. Same thing with, for example, Roedred. That one is pretty clear-cut so we might as well all get used to it and find things to like about it. Then at least we can have the satisfaction of having been right when it's revealed.

... is it just me, or has the world forgotten about this object which, in my mind, is one of the most powerful ... ever?

It seems as if the world at large has forgotten, although Cads and Nyn have ones that function the same in their Paralis-nets. Some people know about them but given they are a breaking era creation it's not surprising the knowledge was lost to time on the whole.

Nyn has a "block one power" terang in her net? I dont recall mention of that. Shes got a bunch of ugly rings or something, but I dont recall that one. I know Cads got one because her dove or bird turns cold on her forehead, and thats pretty much the only reason she is so cocky because she can block the man power from her...just my opinion...

sorry to distract.

I will add one more to my list - at least one key event that has been "debunked" by the arrogant know-it-alls on the forum will occur.

I will press the "like" button on this one. I agree. unless you are including me, which i doubt. I'm a know it all, but not arrogant. Or am i the other way around? haha.

Nyn has a "block one power" terang in her net? I dont recall mention of that. Shes got a bunch of ugly rings or something, but I dont recall that one. I know Cads got one because her dove or bird turns cold on her forehead, and thats pretty much the only reason she is so cocky because she can block the man power from her...just my opinion...

sorry to distract.

Yeah no worries, we see about Nyn when Alivia is wearing her ring set(paralis-net) and faces off against Lanfear.

WH

Abruptly the light of saidar appeared around the woman, but the ready ball of fire streaked from Cyndane's hand, small enough to escape detection she hoped, but enough to burn a hole through this woman who—

Just as it reached the woman, almost close enough to singe her garments, the web of Fire unraveled. The woman did not do anything; the net simply came apart! Cyndane had never heard of a ter'angreal that would break a web, but it must be that.

What exactly was uncivil about my post? Because I didn't say anything remotely similar to what you put in quotes.

Don't even bother Terez. The poster has been here a bit over a week and is already calling people out. LoL...gotta love release time.

Archived