DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Androl's Past--Who is he? (Read First Post)

Luckers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Androl is a dude from Tarabon. He loves to travel, and apparently has done so widely. At some point, he became embroiled in the events of the Knoks rebellion in Murandy - probably as one of the leaders, and possibly as the leader. His golden signet ring indicates some connection with rank, though whether it is his or a memento from someone else is unknown. The rebellion was ultimately a failure, which he regrets and may partially blame himself for. He is able to channel, though very weakly, but has a nearly unique Talent for gateways, possibly linked to his love of traveling. He has reluctantly taken leadership of Logain's faction within the Black Tower.

That's who Androl is - there really isn't much more to go on, and frankly, there doesn't need to be, in my opinion.

He knows the Old Tongue.

You don't learn that by being a rebellion leader, or some dude from Tarabon.

Something more is up with him, imo.

You can learn it by reading lots of books. And I'm sure there is "something more" up with him, namely, a lifetime of extensive traveling. He no doubt has lots of cool stories in an almost Jain Farstrider type of way, although he is unlikely to tell any, since he doesn't seem to desire fame of any kind. But there's no reason to think that his background will be significant to the story, except that it made him the leader that he is today, and that will help with the crisis in the Black Tower.

He knows the Old Tongue.

You don't learn that by being a rebellion leader, or some dude from Tarabon.

Something more is up with him, imo.

You can learn it by reading lots of books. And I'm sure there is "something more" up with him, namely, a lifetime of extensive traveling. He no doubt has lots of cool stories in an almost Jain Farstrider type of way, although he is unlikely to tell any, since he doesn't seem to desire fame of any kind. But there's no reason to think that his background will be significant to the story, except that it made him the leader that he is today, and that will help with the crisis in the Black Tower.

True. As a traveler, he may also have a love of language. Sometimes, the two go hand in hand.

I do think he is part of the nobility.

He is too....handy. Too pragmatic.

I think he was a young man, much like Tam, that wanted to see the world. He had many adventures and never found his 'Kari' to return home with. He may have been given a title at some point, therefore the signet ring.

Either way, he is a wanderer. Perhaps akin to RJ later in life - if one accepts that RJ was akin to Perrin early in life.

I didn't think much of Androl until the prologue...but let me lay out what I remember

1. Sucks in using the power except to make gateways which is odd.

2. Loner

3. I think he is out of shape, or slight in build...thats why the other ashaman dont play with him.

4. Is he like perrin? a crafter, and slow to talk? People like him since he doesnt talk much?

5. seems well educated

I am going out on a limb and saying he is not Demandred. I have to think he is just a random dude that probably will bite it in a later chapter. Although his back story will probably be revealed, i doubt it will change the course of the story.

Androl is Andric, King of Tarabon

Andric was killed in battle with the Seanchan, per ACoS chapter 26. I guess you could argue that Suroth is lying - heaven knows it wouldn't be the only time - but there really doesn't seem to be any reason for her to do so.

Also, their descriptions don't match.

Also, I'm not sure the King of Tarabon would have been involved in a minor rebellion in Murandy, or taking a trip to Retash for a drink.

So, no, let's just go ahead and stamp this one out early. Androl is not Andric.

When he first showed up I got the impression that he was Seanchan. But there was nothing that I could really put my finger on. He had travelled, seen the Sea Folk Islands, was very shady about his past. As someone mentioned above he has a Taraboner accent? Maybe it's a fake accent - Seanchan conquored Tarabon so he would have time to study and learn to impersonate them.

His knowledge of the Knoks rebellion kinda ruined that one for me.

He did show up at the BT pretty early on. He was mentioned in the books well before he appeared on-screen. One of the AM (with Perrin I think) mentioned in passing that he didn't have Androl's skill with Travelling.

He was first mentioned and first appeared both in the Prologue of WH, with Logian's group of Dedicated, in Toveine's section. His contribution to the discussion is that he mentioned two other men were interested in learning Nyneave Al'Meara's new style of healing. Logain told him all he heard Nyneave say about what she was doing when she did it (and what he later overheard from other sisters).

I could see Androl being Andric's brother and being in charge of creating a spy network and such. It would explain the signet ring, why he would be so detail oriented, how he has had so many apprenticeships (feeling out potential candidates by posing as the apprentice), also how he knows so much about the Tairen guy since I cannot imagine the book thing as being true

Androl is Andric, King of Tarabon

Andric was killed in battle with the Seanchan, per ACoS chapter 26. I guess you could argue that Suroth is lying - heaven knows it wouldn't be the only time - but there really doesn't seem to be any reason for her to do so.

Also, their descriptions don't match.

Also, I'm not sure the King of Tarabon would have been involved in a minor rebellion in Murandy, or taking a trip to Retash for a drink.

So, no, let's just go ahead and stamp this one out early. Androl is not Andric.

Yes you can stamp it out. But having Thera, former Panarch, in Caemlyn, a stone's throw from the BT, makes the possibility interesting, no? There is no proof but what the hey.

There's no "RJ said it's not so" type proof, but his involvement in events in Murandy some years back is proof enough. Androl is not Andric, and what's more, I'm in complete agreement with Toot: his facility with leather makes it highly unlikely that he was raised a noble at all.

I think Androl is a very old nomad gifted with the abilty to Travel. I think at some point he will be revealed to be quite old; kinda like the lone male equivalent of The Kin, moving from place to place, staying long enough to make a difference, but never long enough to get tied down. I wouldn't be suprised if he has run into Cadsuane at some point over the years. Could the act of creating with the power also stem the taint effects? Could he be disciplined enough wiht the power to only have made gateways to Travel over the years?

People with blocks are actually channeling, regardless of whether they're aware. For example, by events at the beginning of TEoTW Nynaeve has already Slowed somewhat.

By Block, I meant the person I was quoting to mean a complete Block, as in no channeling at all. Otherwise Androl would have been crazy already.

Yes slowing is a product of channeling, however if you never touch the source? Morgrase slowed? Where do we see this?I mean she's touched the source what, 3 times or so in her life? That caused her to slow? (Kinda shocked here)

I just realized as well, I want Androl to have some cool backstory, which I'm sure he does, but is it going to be some type of nobility? The guy is an excellent leathersmith. That doesn't really smell of someone who is high standing.

Could have been a hobby for him.

I want to know how old this guy is. I mean, travelling pre gateways was slow work. How much could he had really done without being old as dirt?

People with blocks are actually channeling, regardless of whether they're aware. For example, by events at the beginning of TEoTW Nynaeve has already Slowed somewhat.

By Block, I meant the person I was quoting to mean a complete Block, as in no channeling at all. Otherwise Androl would have been crazy already.

Yes slowing is a product of channeling, however if you never touch the source? Morgrase slowed? Where do we see this?I mean she's touched the source what, 3 times or so in her life? That caused her to slow? (Kinda shocked here)

As I understand it, once you touch the Source, even once, you begin to slow. RJ said in his blog:

Yes, Morgase has slowed, and that is exactly why there is so much emphasis on her looking only ten years older than Perrin when she has children the ages of Elayne and Gawyn.

Slowing seems to be a result of making a connection with the Source, not of how much or how often one actually channels. It is even possible to reverse aging slightly, per his comment here.

Archived