DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Androl's Past--Who is he? (Read First Post)

Luckers

People with blocks are actually channeling, regardless of whether they're aware. For example, by events at the beginning of TEoTW Nynaeve has already Slowed somewhat.

By Block, I meant the person I was quoting to mean a complete Block, as in no channeling at all. Otherwise Androl would have been crazy already.

Yes slowing is a product of channeling, however if you never touch the source? Morgrase slowed? Where do we see this?I mean she's touched the source what, 3 times or so in her life? That caused her to slow? (Kinda shocked here)

As I understand it, once you touch the Source, even once, you begin to slow. RJ said in his blog:

Yes, Morgase has slowed, and that is exactly why there is so much emphasis on her looking only ten years older than Perrin when she has children the ages of Elayne and Gawyn.

Slowing seems to be a result of making a connection with the Source, not of how much or how often one actually channels. It is even possible to reverse aging slightly, per his comment here.

Well what the hell was the comment about more powerful channelers slowing more and the wise ones not slowing as much because they don't touch the source near as often. Hmm. Well if that's the case, Androl could be someone who had a complete block and never touched the source.

I knew about reversing aging slightly. But thanks Neo, appreciate it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well what the hell was the comment about more powerful channelers slowing more and the wise ones not slowing as much because they don't touch the source near as often.

I think - and we're into my opinion now - that more powerful channelers do slow more because they have a stronger connection with the source, not necessarily because a greater amount of the Power flows through them. After all, Morgase would look about the same age as Perrin and co. if she had slowed strongly.

As I remember it however, that the comment about the Wise Ones was about the fact that the Wise Ones don't look "ageless" - which of course has to do with the Oath Rod, not slowing.

Well what the hell was the comment about more powerful channelers slowing more and the wise ones not slowing as much because they don't touch the source near as often.

I think - and we're into my opinion now - that more powerful channelers do slow more because they have a stronger connection with the source, not necessarily because a greater amount of the Power flows through them. After all, Morgase would look about the same age as Perrin and co. if she had slowed strongly.

As I remember it however, that the comment about the Wise Ones was about the fact that the Wise Ones don't look "ageless" - which of course has to do with the Oath Rod, not slowing.

I'll look around a little and see if I can find it today. There was a separate quote about how long they live.

By Block, I meant the person I was quoting to mean a complete Block, as in no channeling at all. Otherwise Androl would have been crazy already.

Yes slowing is a product of channeling, however if you never touch the source? Morgrase slowed? Where do we see this?I mean she's touched the source what, 3 times or so in her life? That caused her to slow? (Kinda shocked here)

As far as I know, there's no such thing. A block means you don't realize what you're doing, or can't do certain things. But once you've touched the Source, you can't stop channeling (as well stop breathing, is how I believe Moiraine put it). And before that, you don't have any block; you've simply the potential.

Well, in theory that could've happened to him.

Extremely unlikely, but possible.

I agree - possible, but unlikely. Also, really, unnecessary - for someone who likes to travel as much as he apparently does, 20 or so years is plenty of time to do a whole lot of it. He could be in his early to mid 40s and have all the history we've seen - the Knoks rebellion was only 10 years ago after all.

As far as I know, there's no such thing. A block means you don't realize what you're doing, or can't do certain things. But once you've touched the Source, you can't stop channeling (as well stop breathing, is how I believe Moiraine put it). And before that, you don't have any block; you've simply the potential.

Wel the one chick couldn't channel unless in the presence of a pretty man, so if she was never a pretty man, she wouldn't channel. So in theory you can have a block that completely stops you from channeling. It just depends on the qualifier his mind places on it.

I agree - possible, but unlikely. Also, really, unnecessary - for someone who likes to travel as much as he apparently does, 20 or so years is plenty of time to do a whole lot of it. He could be in his early to mid 40s and have all the history we've seen - the Knoks rebellion was only 10 years ago after all.

Really? All those places, plus the sea folk isles? I mean he'd have to gain their trust and such first, unless he's just extremely lucky. (I'm going to go back and check all his references to see how many places he's been, and all the random tidbits he knows so I can toss together a rough estimate.

Really? All those places, plus the sea folk isles? I mean he'd have to gain their trust and such first, unless he's just extremely lucky. (I'm going to go back and check all his references to see how many places he's been, and all the random tidbits he knows so I can toss together a rough estimate.

Yes, really. All those places, plus the Sea Folk isles. The Sea Folk regularly give people the "gift of passage" in exchange for a relatively equal "gift," and growing up in Tarabon, a country with plenty of coastline and a major port, makes befriending one of the Sea Folk a fairly unremarkable proposition. Heck, making friends with one of the Sea Folk as a youth could well be what started his travels.

Maybe, now just maybe, he's something like the Incredible Hulk. Travelling from place to place, showing up and solving problems in a new town each week but his ability to channel casts him as an outsider and forces him to move on.

Argh. Now I'll have that slowly-walking-away-backwards-while-hitchhiking song in my head all morning.

Though to your point ... we haven't seen Androl when he's angry, have we? I wonder if we'd like him ...

Wel the one chick couldn't channel unless in the presence of a pretty man, so if she was never a pretty man, she wouldn't channel. So in theory you can have a block that completely stops you from channeling. It just depends on the qualifier his mind places on it.

That would depend on your apparent assumption that the nature of the block is persistent, and that it wouldn't evolve along with circumstance. Which I find absurd, since blocks are broken as a matter of routine in the Tower, by doing just that. Again, I trust Moiraine on this. As well stop breathing.

That would depend on your apparent assumption that the nature of the block is persistent, and that it wouldn't evolve along with circumstance. Which I find absurd, since blocks are broken as a matter of routine in the Tower, by doing just that. Again, I trust Moiraine on this. As well stop breathing.

Just pointing out that it's possible. Yes blocks are borken, but it could be that sort of thing. Just tossing out the idea.

Maybe, now just maybe, he's something like the Incredible Hulk. Travelling from place to place, showing up and solving problems in a new town each week but his ability to channel casts him as an outsider and forces him to move on.

Argh. Now I'll have that slowly-walking-away-backwards-while-hitchhiking song in my head all morning.

Though to your point ... we haven't seen Androl when he's angry, have we? I wonder if we'd like him ...

If Pevara doesn't learn some manners fast, we just may find out.

Someone should teach Androl how to make deathgates.

Hmm. I just had the image of Androl with Callandor creating a single, enormous horizontal Deathgate over a mass of several hundred thousand Trollocs ... and lowering it to the ground.

Dead Shadowspawn and a perfectly graded parking lot! :wink:

To be honest, I don't think we'll like him that way.

Just a thought, but Androl isn't strong in the power, so he wouldn't have had the spark.

He would have needed to learn, and be taught. It seems unlikely he sought out channelling.

The men the RA hunted have been men who couldn't help but channal.

Hmm, perhapes he is one of the men who Taim said didn't go beyond the testing? Well probably not but if he was a wilder it had to have been something like that right?

Just thought I'd add - no one recognises him. Not really been considered yet, but it's not as if anyone recognises this guy. So it's not like he is some Barak O'Bama figure. That's why the nobility thing is a little less likely as they tend to be recognised. Say he was the one time king of Tarabon, wouldn't someone recognise him?

Just a thought, but Androl isn't strong in the power, so he wouldn't have had the spark.

He would have needed to learn, and be taught. It seems unlikely he sought out channelling.

Hmm, perhapes he is one of the men who Taim said didn't go beyond the testing? Well probably not but if he was a wilder it had to have been something like that right?

Sharina didn't have the spark either and she's at least as strong as Nyneave.

Also Flynn is not a sparker but pretty strong though not in the Forsaken class.

Do you suppose the Androl we see at the BT is Logain in disguise, with one "hand" tied behind his back sort of like Asmodean was partially blocked, or with his ability masked? If so, the apparent block could be his own doing, contrived to reduce suspicion but able to be lifted without warning. We see plenty of times when the Foresaken used this ploy.

Another possibility is that Androl is really Androl, but wearing some kind of transmitter ter'angreal which allows Logain to monitor the BTs status from a distance.

Just to clarify, it's not that a learner can't be strong but that sparkers usually are. So Androl was unlikely to have channalled before the black tower unless he was taught somehow. Men didn't generally try to learn before the BT.

if he is still blocked then could this be preventing from reaching his true potential?

Archived