DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Perrin Die

spoke

Right, but I am talking about more than post-apocalypse, i am talking post-post apocalypse, like looking at what will happen to Seanchean and Aiel, will they have that ever mentioned in there.

We probably will not find out what happened in Seanchan as that was what the Mat/Tuon outriggers were to be about. Man those would have been great...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bloody well hope so...

On a less personal note, I think this series needs to see one of the main characters die and I think it would add to it if it was one of the ta'veren boys. Rand...well we know he's going to "die" but he'll probably come back. Mat...unlikely due to his relationship with Tuon, pure luck and the planned novels about him. So that leaves Perrin. I've always felt he was kind of the odd one out. Also if you look at the main characters in general, there's not many options there for death. Nynaeve? Maybe, but she's on the path to becoming a legend so that seems to lessen the chance. Egwene...well, after all that fuss about her becoming the Amyrilin it'd seem a waste. We know Aviendha will probably survive due to various glimpses of the future. And Elayne's got to give birth.

*****As another note, I don't feel like Perrin has a purpose in Randland anymore. His love life was settled earliest in the series, so we have seem him grow romantically as he needed to. As OP mentioned Faile will be able to take care of things without him. I feel like him finally getting to TAR would be his final step in finding peace with who he is. To me it is the appropriately poetic ending for his character, and thematically fits with the type of person that he is.*****

Perrin does have a purpose, and it's an inportant one at that. He's a builder, a blacksmith, he cares for his people. After a battle like this people are going to have to rebuild. Tey'll need leaders to look up to so this can be accompllished. I think this is Perrin's destiny more than fighting the LB.

So my money is on he lives. I don't think the Pattern will be finished with him and need him to carry on far longer than the other 2.

• 2 weeks later...

*****As another note, I don't feel like Perrin has a purpose in Randland anymore. His love life was settled earliest in the series, so we have seem him grow romantically as he needed to. As OP mentioned Faile will be able to take care of things without him. I feel like him finally getting to TAR would be his final step in finding peace with who he is. To me it is the appropriately poetic ending for his character, and thematically fits with the type of person that he is.*****

Perrin does have a purpose, and it's an inportant one at that. He's a builder, a blacksmith, he cares for his people. After a battle like this people are going to have to rebuild. Tey'll need leaders to look up to so this can be accompllished. I think this is Perrin's destiny more than fighting the LB.

So my money is on he lives. I don't think the Pattern will be finished with him and need him to carry on far longer than the other 2.

His only purpose left is to lead the wolves in the Last Hunt. He will be their 'Alpha" during the battle.

#conlflicted..

On the one hand, given what we know of Rand and Matt, Perrin seems like the only character who could have a “surprise death” of the three main characters. Also, given his link with TAR and wolves, his death would have interesting possibilities for Tar'mon Gaidin battle front in TAR. Practically, Perrin is a vanguard battle commander, truly a Banner Bearer, as referenced in tGH, leading at the fore of battle, where his skills, weapon, and “berserker” style are most effective. This also puts him in the most danger, of course.

But Perrin is the archetype Blacksmith. At heart, a builder/creator, and given the connections he's got, in position to be a HUGE power broker in the future, capable of possibly forging a meaningful peace that has a better chance of lasting than just the “Dragon Peace”. And after finally accepting his leadership role so late, he does seem to have a big future ahead of him.

Of course, the argument against Perrin's death could just be a buildup to add to the tragedy of his death in the eyes of the readers... #conflicted still...

On a side note, does anyone think we will see a repeat scene from the tGH when Matt blows the Horn? ie: Matt is Hornsounder while Perrin will bear either the Dragon Banner or Banner of Light? All Three together like that?

• 4 weeks later...

IIRC i seem to remember a POV from tEofW from Leanne about Perrin. She confronts him as he is leaving Mat's room in Fal Dara and muses about him wearing a crown ans speaking in High Chant.

i had a theory about Perrin death and even if it's improbable to say the least i recount it here.

as you might remember Mat , Rand and Perrin sees the other as soon as they utters or thinks it , is this a sign that they are slowly merging into one single oneness so each with it's own specialty

become ( literary) one super dragon . but as Rand at least is doomed to die and Mat seem to live this theory falls apart.

in the light of how things stand i think ( even if i am not 100 % sure) Perrin will live and as one of the previously posters said forging and molding the lands together when TG is finished.

He's not going to die. He's just going to lose a body part.

Rand loses his hand.

Mat his eye.

Perrin is going to have to say farewell to his leg.

Perrin turned as the portal closed. As he stepped, he felt a faint throbbing from his leg, where Slayer’s arrow had hit him. He had been Healed of that wound, and from what he’d been able to tell, the Healing had been complete. There was no injury. But his leg…it felt like it could remember the wound anyway. It was like a shadow, very faint, almost unnoticeable.

Btw, which eye has Mat lost and which leg does Perrin refer to? I couldn't find any references.

His fight with the Slayer/King of TAR will be brutal. But given his new found conviction, he should win without dying. Revenge, conviction and Thor's hammer will give him victory. All hail the new King!

The Broken Wolf is either Rand or Perrin. Given all the premonitions of Rand'd death, very likely Rand. Only Rand's death will shake men's very will to fight.

Rand: King Arthur, Tyr

Mat: Odin

Perrin: Thor

Apples First, what inspired your signature's quote? Is it in the books?

It's from the part in The Great Hunt where Ingtar has just admitted to Rand that he was Darkfriend.

“Rand, when Verin brought us here with the Portal Stone, I—I lived other lives. Sometimes I held the Horn, but I never sounded it. I tried to escape what I’d become, but I never did. Always there was something else required of me, always something worse than the last, until I was. . . . You were ready to give it up to save a friend. Think not of glory. Oh, Light, help me.”

Rand did not know what to say. It was as if Egwene had told him she had murdered children. Too horrible to be believed. Too horrible for anyone to admit to unless it was true. Too horrible.

Apples First, what inspired your signature's quote? Is it in the books?

It's from the part in The Great Hunt where Ingtar has just admitted to Rand that he was Darkfriend.

“Rand, when Verin brought us here with the Portal Stone, I—I lived other lives. Sometimes I held the Horn, but I never sounded it. I tried to escape what I’d become, but I never did. Always there was something else required of me, always something worse than the last, until I was. . . . You were ready to give it up to save a friend. Think not of glory. Oh, Light, help me.”

Rand did not know what to say. It was as if Egwene had told him she had murdered children. Too horrible to be believed. Too horrible for anyone to admit to unless it was true. Too horrible.

will perrin die?

I freakin hope so. There's only so much woe is me, not a leader, faile my love dont leave me please you can take in a span of 7 books before you've had enough. Not to mention he's not the sharpest hammer in the toolbox.

Someone please get rid of this dimwitted idiot

will perrin die?

I freakin hope so. There's only so much woe is me, not a leader, faile my love dont leave me please you can take in a span of 7 books before you've had enough. Not to mention he's not the sharpest hammer in the toolbox.

Someone please get rid of this dimwitted idiot

That's pretty much how I feel. I'm tired of Perrin feeling sorry for himself, and apart form rescuing sneaky queens of Andor from the Aeil, he's pretty much useless--although I am expecting that he'll do something magnificent with his power-forged hammer... So far he's kinda just waved it around and burned some faces off of Trollocs, but considering he and his hammer earned the cover page of Towers of Midnight (http://darkwolfsfantasyreviews.blogspot.com/2011/01/cover-art-towers-of-midnight-by-robert.html), I'm thinking he's overdue for some awesomeness, and I do think he's set up for this considering a lot of Towers of Midnight is from his POV.

Also, even though we both find Perrin pretty obnoxious, I gotta say that reading from Elayne's POV is long and away my least favorite part of the wheel of time.

If Perrin dies, he will die late in the book, and most likely in TG. Why?

See quote!

Brandon Sanderson (3 August 2011)

I'm currently writing "Through Lines" on A Memory of Light, meaning I'm taking one character or group and going beginning to end.

BRANDON SANDERSON

I'll end up writing the ending a number of times through different eyes, each separated by a short book's number of pages. Odd experience.

CHRISTOPHER SKINNER

How do you do that without diminishing the impact of the "big finish" (I mean there's denouement anyway, but the climax)?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Careful planning, followed by a lot of reads-through of the entire book to smooth and enhance.

NEIL MCKINNON

Did you do that with Rand/Egwene in The Gathering Storm and Mat/Perrin Towers of Midnight?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, I did.

BRANDON SANDERSON

At about 20 scenes and 50k words, the first "Through Line" of A Memory of Light is done. I can't tell you who it is, but I'm very pleased.

ERIC PETERS

Why wouldn't you be able to tell us who it is? Is it a real secret who all of the characters in the book are at this point?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Some people don't want any kind of spoiler. Knowing there are 50k words of someone means they don't die at the start.

BRANDON SANDERSON

If you look back through my Twitter feed, you can figure out who it is. [it was Perrin.] I might do a blog post on it too, with a spoiler warning.

SHARON VERNON

Do you find it easier to write "through lines" and then tie it all up together later?

BRANDON SANDERSON

For a very big, complex book, it's basically the only way I can do it. Otherwise, I lose character voices.

FRANK KWIATOWSKI

Is this your style, or how RJ wanted it? Just curious.

BRANDON SANDERSON (4 AUGUST)

What specifically are you asking about? The writing of "Through Lines?"

FRANK KWIATOWSKI

You mentioned writing the same ending multiple times. I'm taking it as the same ending being reviewed from different POVs?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Different pieces of what, together, will be the ending sequences of the book.

CONNOR EVERINGHAM

I'm guessing that with one through line at 50k words, A Memory of Light will be a massive book?Will chunks be taken out during editing?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I always edit down, rather than up. I overwrite intentionally on first drafts. But the book will be big.

PHIL

I might just be ignorant here, but what's a "Through Line"?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Where you write one character's parts, all the way through the book.

Seems that 50k is enough for him to die either in LB or at least close?

I want to see how he will start out in this next book before i decide if he should die or not. I mean if he starts out the unsure, scared of his own shadow type thing that he has done for so long, then i'll i wouldn't mind to see him die. As long as he goes out fighting like a mad man. Now i would like to see him live if he has changed his whole personality. I pray to the creator that he is going to be more self-assured kick butt fighting machine. I hope he has become the Wolf king

I want to see how he will start out in this next book before i decide if he should die or not. I mean if he starts out the unsure, scared of his own shadow type thing that he has done for so long, then i'll i wouldn't mind to see him die. As long as he goes out fighting like a mad man. Now i would like to see him live if he has changed his whole personality. I pray to the creator that he is going to be more self-assured kick butt fighting machine. I hope he has become the Wolf king

well so far it seems like he has developed into a solid leader, I think he now knows what he has to down and has put his mind to it (which so far when he has he has succeeded)

I hope not, but if he does I want to know what effect slayers arrow will have on him, because he did feel it after he left tar and was healed

Die maybe. Cease being talked about in the book? No. Even if he dies he will be in TAR as a wolf brother and we saw how much he kicks ass there. He could very well lead the forces of light in TAR even if his physical body dies. And I think he is a hero of the horn for sure.

well so far it seems like he has developed into a solid leader, I think he now knows what he has to down and has put his mind to it (which so far when he has he has succeeded)

I hope not, but if he does I want to know what effect slayers arrow will have on him, because he did feel it after he left tar and was healed

As for Slayers Arrow, I dont think much will come of it. Yea he felt the effects of it when he left TAR but that always happened if you get injured in there. I mean yea, Slayers arrow is some what cursed i think but once he got healed nothing will come of it. At most, the arrow would have dark influence like the dagger Mat carried but it's to late in the series to do anything with it. I hate Slayer and i can't wait for Perrin to smash his face in lol.

I feel fairly certain that Rand cannot be called back from the dead by the HoV. If you read the scene in tGH when the Horn is blown, there are some strict rules required for the HotH to participate in a fight:

-Presence of the Dragon Soul (Hawkwing mentions this, that Rand (or if in another Age, presumably some other Dragon Soul person) must be present)

-Dragon Banner

Hawkwing seems to imply that without these things being present when the Horn is called, the HotH would not be able to participate in a battle. Also look at how the HotH's battle with Seanchan was directly tied to Rand's battle w/Ishamael. Rand must be alive, and fight against the shadow in order for the HotH to participate in battle. Of course, if Rand were DarkRand, then the HotH could fight for the shadow, but again they would be linked to Rand's battle against whoever he is fighting against.

Due to these reasons, I find it very unlikely that Rand will be "reborn" during TG through the blowing of the HoV. Just my thoughts.

I agree, but there's one more crucial element to this. They mention a couple of times that the DR is unique, being not just a rebirth (Birgitte talking about being born with different names/lives, etc) but actually the man himself (LTT). The HoV calls on heroes tied to it to be reborn in different ways with similar elements of their lives, but never as the same person reborn. Mat, Perrin, Lan, Thom, Egwene, Nyn and even Moiraine would probably be great candidates for HoV heroes, but I don't think Rand qualifies.

As for Perrin, they need all 3 ta'veren to have a chance to win the LB, but if we know Rand has to die, it's very possible one or both of the other two have to die at some point as well. I'm with the majority thinking Mat will live, and I believe Rand will someone be brought back before the end, but it never says they all have to be at a certain place to win. If one of the two has to go, I'd go with Perrin over Mat. Mat'd be way too good as the next Hawkwing in post LB Randland.

Archived