DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Perrin Die

spoke

I am quite tired of hearing that some of the main characters are going to bee a Hero of the Horn , i can stomach Mat is a possible candidate but seriously Nyn , Moiranine, Thom , Egwene why dont throw in Basil Gill , Galad , Gawyn and others who done something warlike... No thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will perrin die?

I freakin hope so. There's only so much woe is me, not a leader, faile my love dont leave me please you can take in a span of 7 books before you've had enough. Not to mention he's not the sharpest hammer in the toolbox.

Someone please get rid of this dimwitted idiot

Dont worry. Moridins guna kill him at the Black Tower.

The Perrin hate is strong in this thread it is.....

I think one of the big 3 are going to die.

Rand is the easy answer because it is fortold that he would. So i dont think it is him.

Mat had plans post the series ending so it isnt him.

That leaves Perrin. I dont want Perrin to die, i like him as a character, but i think the story needs one of the wonder boys to die and i feel Perrin will be that character. He will go out in a blaze of glory for sure, and perhaps Faile will go out with him.

You guys have broken my heart...Perrin's development was drawn out (true) but if he would have accepted who he was early on in Book III for instance he would have overshadowed everyone else so he had to have some stumbling blocks placed in front of him, (sorry it was like an ongoing pity party.) But the guy is totally awesome, and it saddens me to hear so many wanting him dead...as to his future contributions. He is the one character who has knowledge of defeating the "Dreamspike" currently aiding the cesspool of corruption known as the BT, and as to Mat being the physical commander and Rand being the magic, what about the darkhounds, and Rand's comments about this battles will be the peoples he cannot risk exhausting himself before his confrontation. Mat is a great general, strategist, and will probably have command of the Seenchan as well as the hand, but there will be multiple fronts and other generals will be needed. Not to mention of the suddeness of the attack in Elayne's kingdom will leave little time for planning, sad as his character has been to read he has done so many things that have aided the light; Eqwene would have walked into the trap set by the Forsaken in the WT had he not brought the Dreamspike there, the WC and Galad are no longer a loose cannon and all of the forces from his liege lords and all have been gathered and understand the fight in front of them. I think his death would prove Min's viewing of him with the crown so I am more than willing to accept Bashere's death over that of Perrin. I also am not of the thought one of the lead characters have to die for this to be a great book (it already is) but I for one would hate to see either of them die it would be as if the Light has abandoned their cause.

In fine...I hope not :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like Perrin and don't want him dead, but I can see it happen, probably by saving Rand for the 2nd time. I think that the idea of "the 3 being as one" refers to the 3 ta'veren, not to the Callandor wielders. Actually I can't wait to see them being finally awesome together, maybe causing the Bore to get undone - i.e. the Pattern to "grow" - with their ta'vereness and help of the Song... Anyway, if Perrin is to die, it'll be toward the end...

... So I've got this little idea: one of Perrin's many parallels is Cu Chulainn, the dog-like berserker, the hero of Celtic mythology. To stay alive and safe, Celtic heroes and kings had to obey gessa - taboos - imposed on them by the druids. Breaking his gessa made Cu Chulainn vulnerable and finally led to his death (of course he didn't do it on purpose or by accident, he just found himself in a situation without a choice). So, maybe to help Rand or kill Slayer Perrin will have to enter TAR in flesh, thus breaking the safety rule and risking death.

I don't think any of the three are dying until after Tarmon Gaidan (with the exception of Rand, maybe).

I do get what you mean by RJ's foreshadowing. I'm rereading the series for the first time in years and am only about 150-160 pgs into the first book. I noticed some things I don't remember noticing the last time I reread the books. One is, when Rand is sleeping by Tam after the first attack by the trollocs, he wakes up sore from his father's sword jamming him in the side where he later is stabbed twice. There's also a quick aside about wanting to hear about stories of battles and Mat being the only one who is interested.

Some serious foreshadowing in a very subtle way.

I do not know if the talk about Perrin dying has anything to do with what will come and is not just character development, but we'll see. Always fun to speculate.

I like Perrin and don't want him dead, but I can see it happen, probably by saving Rand for the 2nd time. I think that the idea of "the 3 being as one" refers to the 3 ta'veren, not to the Callandor wielders. Actually I can't wait to see them being finally awesome together, maybe causing the Bore to get undone - i.e. the Pattern to "grow" - with their ta'vereness and help of the Song... Anyway, if Perrin is to die, it'll be toward the end...

... So I've got this little idea: one of Perrin's many parallels is Cu Chulainn, the dog-like berserker, the hero of Celtic mythology. To stay alive and safe, Celtic heroes and kings had to obey gessa - taboos - imposed on them by the druids. Breaking his gessa made Cu Chulainn vulnerable and finally led to his death (of course he didn't do it on purpose or by accident, he just found himself in a situation without a choice). So, maybe to help Rand or kill Slayer Perrin will have to enter TAR in flesh, thus breaking the safety rule and risking death.

Now, this is very possible. RJ was obviously very knowledgeable about myths in general. You might be on to something here!

Now, this is very possible. RJ was obviously very knowledgeable about myths in general. You might be on to something here!

Thanks. I like the foreshadowings you found, I am amazed by their subtlety!

• 1 month later...

I think Perrin will survive and live a while. As for importance, I read other postings that the DO prison could be somewhat on a level of TAR. Perrin could be the one who forces the area around shayol ghul to normal so the dark one doesn't use the fake reality of the area to kill the armies of the light immediately. He could do this with the help of egwene and Aiel dreamwalkers. Now, Perrin could be instrumental like Mat in making peace with the Seanchen. Tylee made it back to Ebou Dar and knows perrin, and she seems willing to have the Seanchen ally with him. Tylee could help the Seanchen make peace by working with Perrin.

Archived