DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

It's Spring!

kukasö

I have been listening for my friends discussing when it's Spring (one of them is from Moscow the other from Kiev(Ukraine)). The one from Moscow said it's when snow is melting, streams of water from roofs and on the roads and everywhere. And the other said: no! it's Winter. Spring is when chestnut trees are in blossom.

I'm very curious what do you think? :rolleyes:

How do you know when Spring came? Looking at calender? Snow melted? Days become longer? It stopped/started raining? Something special is in blossom? Some birds returned? Or something else? :wink:

For me the feeling that spring is here comes in February or March when it's about -10C and waist-deep snow and everything is like in Winter but you feel that something changed. Sun is a little bit warmer or the smell of growing trees appeared or something. I just know that it's not Winter anymore :happy: And of course Spring is here when snow's melting and the sound of dripping water is everywhere!

It's Spring now!

5DB60339.jpg?t=1331984429

Even if it doesn't look like Spring :tongue:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We get less then eight inches of snow a year where I live but even then, spring arrives suddenly. The air is warmer, the days are longer and the evenings are gentler. I enjoy winter because it is such a rare display here but I especially enjoy the few moments of the year when we are aware of the change between seasons.

Spring to me is when it's warmer than 0*C for a week in a row, and the sun starts feeling warm on your skin. Usually comes in the switch between fbruary and march here. So here winter is over for this year (thank god) and spring is coming. Yayyyyy!

I live quite south in Norway for the record.

Well, we rarely see "true" cold here. There was only one cold snap in December which went to -4F during the day. The rest of the winter has been mild with most of our days between 35 to 55F and we got less than eight inches of snow this year. It actually snowed on Christmas, which hasn't happened in at least eight years. O_o

I'd actually like to live someplace that sees more winter.

In Canada, spring starts with the vernal equinox. So spring officially started today! It's been very warm though, almost like summer (by my standards); yseterday it was 21°C here which is much warmer than usual from what I've gathered.

In Sweden, my home country, spring is defined as "the first occasion on which the average daytime temperature exceeds zero degrees Celsius for seven consecutive days", so the date when spring starts varies with latitude and elevation. They've had spring temperatures in my home town but it's not officially spring yet. My hometown is in the north of Sweden so spring usually arrives in late March or early April.

We had a bit of snow this year. In years past (in fact 6 years ago there was a snowstorm right around this time of year back home and school was cancelled for a few days).

THIS year however I'm walking around in shorts. It's supposed to be between 20 and 30 Celsius here for the rest of this week!!!

My spring comes maybe in March when it's somewhere around 0 °C. Still, the last snows that lurk in the shadows can last until June. Actually just a while ago I felt it's finally come. The birds started singing, snow started melting fast and I it wasn't so dark anymore as I walked to school. I really didn't need woolly hat and gloves outside! And now I'm sick at home... unsure.gif

Then yesterday it started snowing again. It snowed so heavily, it seemed like January had come again. Today that snow's melting away, so it was just a short fake-winter tongue.gif

Raena, there is official definition of Spring in Sweden? :huh: So you agree with it and don't wait for something to blossom? :happy:

Heart, so no Spring this year? :sad: Summer right away?

Brandie, you are the first to think Spring is when something blossoms :biggrin:

Basel, no Spring? :unsure:

Poor Ishy have never seen snow? :sad:

Here in Minnesota, the weather has decided that it doesn't know what it wants to do. We've had above normal, almost summer like temperatures for the past few days, although yesterday and today have been a little cooler. It's still about 60 degrees F, which for Minnesota, is quite warm in spring. Although to be honest, we haven't had anywhere near a typical Minnesota winter, which normally gets very cold, especially once you go north away from the Twin Cities. It wasn't quite as cold this year as I thought it would be - not as much snow either. So that might have a lot to do with how odd the weather feels.

Spring here in Arizona is usually judged by the fact that we've lost our respite from the heat. When the temperature starts to climb back into the 80's (F) we know it's the start of spring. In terms of month, Spring usually starts somewhere between late February and early March.

Oddly enough, it snowed here earlier this week. Something that happens once every few years at best, and usually deeper into the winter. And by "snowed" I mean that snow fell from the sky, not that any great allotment of it did. I'd be surprised if we had gotten more than a centimeter of it.

Heh, our native beech forests are evergreen so you don't immediately see much change there... Up here in the mountains Spring is noticeable VERY SUDDENLY because out of the blue there are lambs and calves eeeverywhere! All around, wherever you look, are baby sheep >.>

ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!!

Also, this thread depresses me (jk) this morning it was freezing. What I don't like about winter coming is that the frosts start coming hard in autumn already. My feet are cold :S

Archived