DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

True Masters of the Blade

Perfexionist

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading ToM I too thought, that Gawyn could of surpassed Galad, but, BS says that's not the case,so, I suppose we will have to take him at his word.

Most normal people would, since assuming both Galad and Gawyn have remained exactly the same since the start of the series, where the last time we could somewhat accurately rank them was, is pure foolishness. So we use what they give us to figure out how they stand, and all signs point to Gawyn becoming the new 'sword guy' after Lan retires.

I simply feel if it's meant to be the other way around, the authors screwed it up. Suttree has to make assumptions about Galad to believe he's kept up with Gawyn and it would have been easy for the authors to have show that, they didn't.

After reading ToM I too thought, that Gawyn could of surpassed Galad, but, BS says that's not the case,so, I suppose we will have to take him at his word.

Most normal people would, since assuming both Galad and Gawyn have remained exactly the same since the start of the series, where the last time we could somewhat accurately rank them was, is pure foolishness. So we use what they give us to figure out how they stand, and all signs point to Gawyn becoming the new 'sword guy' after Lan retires.

I simply feel if it's meant to be the other way around, the authors screwed it up. Suttree has to make assumptions about Galad to believe he's kept up with Gawyn and it would have been easy for the authors to have show that, they didn't.

I think most likely he was more concerned about getting the story down, than thinking " ah Gawyn has kicked ass, I'll have to have Galad kick some too". Don't forget that in ToM its only in battle against Trolloc's that, Galad is fighting and his army was nearly overwhelmed until Perrin saves them, by which time, Galad is injured.

Sorry but who is doing the assuming here? We know Galad was not only better, but also more talented and learns far more quickly. The Gawyn crowd is assuming based on screen time that Gawyn, despite all that has not only made up ground but surpassed him as well.

As for "most normal people" thinking he is better, all you have to do is read the comments in any discussion of the topic. It is most assuredly not the case.

Gawyn gets the screen time because his character has been closer to the main arc. Drawing conclusions contrary to what the writers have said based on lack of screen time where a relatively unimportant side character is concerned is unwarranted imo. Galad was of little real importance in the overall arc until Valda raped Morgase - that's where his story arc effectively begins and where my interest anyway really starts to rise.

I'm sure we'll see Galad whirling and twirling like a pretty little switchblade of doom when TG hits in earnest, with Berelain swooning each time he beheads a Trolloc or some such. :)

All we know (not counting BS's statements) is that Galad was better than Gawyn up to book 4, and that they both improved after that and achieved impressive feats. Beyond that there is no way of comparing them. Perhaps Gawyn became better than Galad, or Galad stayed better, or they became evenly skilled. It's impossible to determine. They are never compared again in the books, and they fight completely seperate opponents. Could Galad have defeated 3 bloodknives at the same time? Possibly. Could Gawyn have defeated Valda in a duel? Maybe so. But it's impossible to say. We had no way of knowing with absolute certainty which one was better by the end of ToM. Not until BS made it clear that Galad was ahead of Gawyn.

Given the right the situation, author's can be wrong, they are not infallible.

Say for instance if they heard and/or interpreted said question incorrectly.

Other area of error: Whoever wrote it down did not do a good job.

Etc.

In this case, BS came out and said it directly.

So yes Galad > Gawyn.

Master,

the real author died long time ago. What we have here is just a completion bloke.

kael, no need to say anything. Anyone who has read the books from beginning to TOM end knows gawyn has surpassed his brother long time.

Not just in skill levels but also in leadership. You would never see gawyn pledging his allegience and those of his troops to that dim witted wolf king

Well, this completion bloke happens to have all the notes left over by the author, so I'd say that when he states something, and doesn't add that it's only his opinion or that he's not really sure, but rather makes a clear statement with no doubts whatsoever about it, he's probably right.

Not just in skill levels but also in leadership. You would never see gawyn pledging his allegience and those of his troops to that dim witted wolf king

no but we do see Gawyn abandoning his men, and his allegience.

Also I do happen to believe that Gawyn is the better swordsman, but this is because of my opinion that if you have to work at something you will become better at it than someone who barely has to try to grasp the basics of it type deal.

no but we do see Gawyn abandoning his men, and his allegience.

Also I do happen to believe that Gawyn is the better swordsman, but this is because of my opinion that if you have to work at something you will become better at it than someone who barely has to try to grasp the basics of it type deal.

gawyn left them. If his troops knew where he was going according to him, they would have turned on him.

still he refused to divulge anything about the younglings to gareth bryne when it was his own interest to do so. He did not turn a traitor.

Master,

the real author died long time ago. What we have here is just a completion bloke.

kael, no need to say anything. Anyone who has read the books from beginning to TOM end knows gawyn has surpassed his brother long time.

For all we know, before RJ died, he might have done a list of the best blademasters in his notes, and I think he did or BS would not have said straight out that Galad > Gawyn. Since then, there should have been only 1 book left to make. So, before the last book in the series, Galad is ranked higher than Gawyn by the real author.

Thus, last book starts out with Galad as the superior blademaster, so we can conclude that he is indeed the better blademaster. Or RJ's notes would have said something like "Galad for now, but middle of last book Gawyn is suddenly better".

And Galad became a traitor?

Gawyn became the door mat of the most infuriating woman in the entire bloody world.

i never said that. I said you would never seen gawyn giving allegience alongside his own troops to some fool like perrin.

as for the second bit of your answer, you also forgot she's sexy, attractive, powerful, stubborn, and million other things. I too would have become a doormat to her

Gawyn became the door mat of the most infuriating woman in the entire bloody world.

i never said that. I said you would never seen gawyn giving allegience alongside his own troops to some fool like perrin.

as for the second bit of your answer, you also forgot she's sexy, attractive, powerful, stubborn, and million other things. I too would have become a doormat to her

No one should be a doormat for anyone else the fact that you are will well maybe you romanticized it abit, But being a doormat for someone would bound to wear thin after awhile. Sure I guess some people may like it having someone else take take control of your life leaving you with no need to make choices or responsibility. Really to me that is alittle sad I would hope people would have alittle more pride in themselves then that.

No one should be a doormat for anyone else the fact that you are will well maybe you romanticized it abit, But being a doormat for someone would bound to wear thin after awhile. Sure I guess some people may like it having someone else take take control of your life leaving you with no need to make choices or responsibility. Really to me that is alittle sad I would hope people would have alittle more pride in themselves then that.

relax. I am not short of pride or confidence in myself. I was only having fun. Wasn't being serious about the doormat thing.

relax. I am not short of pride or confidence in myself. I was only having fun. Wasn't being serious about the doormat thing.

Well you do like Tanis. I'm not sure. If I'd believe you.

*tongue in cheek*

In this case, BS came out and said it directly.

So yes Galad > Gawyn.

That is not good enough for this crowd.

Youre missing the point. We've evolved past author comments and are discussing what's in the books and if they match those comments. If you think that's a pointless discussion. well, there are other threads.

And extremely arrogant, which kinda kills off all the other points.

i am extremely turned on by arrogant woman. So it's another plus

I second this.

And Master Albar, I can agree that it is indeterminable, but suttree says otherwise, that Galad must still be better. I consider that more unlikely than gawyn being better now, based on what we get to see, and what we lean about their attitudes.

The short of it is, a lot of people dislike Gawyn, that obviously factors into people not wanting him to be good at anything. Anyone looking at it clearly would come to the conclusion that Gaywn MIGHT be equal or better by ToM. No one would conclude Galad is still better without blinders on.

Im sorry how is having abunch of people with sticks pointed in the air going to be "Pretty good defense against arrows".

Also same could be said with a sword give any moron with 2 hands a sword and they can kill another man. Honestly give a untrained man a spear and another a sword and I wouldnt bet on one side definately beating the other same goes for trained people too.

An untrained man with a sword is more likely to cut himself than cut his opponent. Between 2 untrained men..the man with the stick has a better chance of winning due to reach and the fact that he will not cut himself if he hits himself with his stick.

If it is indeterminable, then it cannot be determined whether Galad is still better than Gawyn, or whether Gawyn has caught up or surpassed Galad. Based on screen-time, it is indeterminable. But we don't just have screen-time. We also have the word of the writers, who are in a unique position to know, and who have answered the question clearly and without room for interpretation. At this point, continuing to insist that Gawyn is as good as or better than Galad is just because you don't like the answer. Could someone who doesn't have access to the author's comments think that Gawyn has surpassed Galad? Possibly. But none of us posting here are people who don't have access to the author's comments, so none of us has an excuse for continuing to insist that Gawyn really is better, aside from sheer wool-headedness.

Archived