DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

True Masters of the Blade

Perfexionist

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another option would be Galad fighting his uncle Luc and killing him. That would be a nice fight as well!

Now isn't Luc dead? I thought Slayer and Luc were one and the same.

He isn't dead. Perrin didn't kill him in their last fight in TAR to destroy the dreamspike. Slayer and Luc are the same. They are a man of two souls: Isam (Lan's cousin) and Luc (Tigraine's brother).

Another option would be Galad fighting his uncle Luc and killing him. That would be a nice fight as well!

He isn't dead. Perrin didn't kill him in their last fight in TAR to destroy the dreamspike. Slayer and Luc are the same. They are a man of two souls: Isam (Lan's cousin) and Luc (Tigraine's brother).

So tossing the dream spike into the nightmare and the nightmare going away with Luc inside isn't killing him?

So tossing the dream spike into the nightmare and the nightmare going away with Luc inside isn't killing him?

Considering we see him afterwards, absolutely not...

ToM

Graendal sat back in her chair. The leather cushions were stuffed with the down of the fledgling kallir, which during this Age lived only in Shara. She barely noticed the luxury.

The servant—one Moridin had loaned her—was on one knee before her. His eyes were tempestuous, and only half-lowered. This one was under control, but barely. He knew he was unique.

He also seemed to know that his failure would fall upon her shoulders. Graendal did not sweat. She was too controlled for that. The shutters on the window in the wide, red-tiled room burst open suddenly, a cold sea wind blowing through the chamber and putting out several of the lamps. Tendrils of smoke wove up from their wicks.

She would not fail.

"Prepare to spring the trap anyway," she commanded.

"But—" the servant said.

"Do it, and do not speak back to one of the Chosen, dog."

The servant lowered his eyes, though there was still a rebellious spark to them.

yeah, he was wounded by Perrin but survived again. One would assume Graendal or someone close to her healed him after Perrin stabbed him. Or that he knows how to heal his wounds in TAR and did so once he cast Perrin out of the dream.

• 8 months later...

For all of the Gawyn is the "best" swordsman crowd despite RJ's and Brandon's previous quotes to the contrary....

Brandon Sanderson

Gawyn is good, but not really, really good. In addition, he has an inflated sense of HOW good he is. He doesn't have the inner control and understanding to be a fully capable swordsman. Beyond that, he mistakes power for ability, and lets himself grow too reckless.

• Community Administrator

ToM

Graendal sat back in her chair. The leather cushions were stuffed with the down of the fledgling kallir, which during this Age lived only in Shara. She barely noticed the luxury.

The servant—one Moridin had loaned her—was on one knee before her. His eyes were tempestuous, and only half-lowered. This one was under control, but barely. He knew he was unique.

He also seemed to know that his failure would fall upon her shoulders. Graendal did not sweat. She was too controlled for that. The shutters on the window in the wide, red-tiled room burst open suddenly, a cold sea wind blowing through the chamber and putting out several of the lamps. Tendrils of smoke wove up from their wicks.

She would not fail.

"But—" the servant said.

The servant lowered his eyes, though there was still a rebellious spark to them.

Wow, I completely missed that scene.

• 3 weeks later...

For all of the Gawyn is the "best" swordsman crowd despite RJ's and Brandon's previous quotes to the contrary....

Brandon Sanderson

Gawyn is good, but not really, really good. In addition, he has an inflated sense of HOW good he is. He doesn't have the inner control and understanding to be a fully capable swordsman. Beyond that, he mistakes power for ability, and lets himself grow too reckless.

Gawyn is very good. and post moiraine lan has to deal with the death rage in addition to the benefits of his bond. That death rage probably energizes him somewhat, gives him fuel for his fight. it doesnt make him better, just more reckless and dangerous.

Gawyns skill saved him from the Bloodknives, but only just - he was expecting them, and they were not used to fighting in pitch blackness. plus, the fight almost killed him.

ToM

She would not fail.

"But—" the servant said.

Wow, I completely missed that scene.

haha, me too. but it works!

Brandon Sanderson

Gawyn is very good. and post moiraine lan has to deal with the death rage in addition to the benefits of his bond. That death rage probably energizes him somewhat, gives him fuel for his fight. it doesnt make him better, just more reckless and dangerous.

Does it ever say that Lan went into that Death Rage? I dont remember it ever being mentioned. I would find it very unlikely that he did. After all, we know for a fact that when a warder loses his Aes Sedai, they go into a rage, but we don't know what happens when the bond of a warder is passed onto another Aes Sedai at the time the original bond is lost. If I were him, I'd be super pissed off, but with the usual level of control. It would make him far more dangerous, but I never knew Lan to be reckless. He's far more level-headed than most others.

He definitely went into the death rage, he just didn't have any clear target to take it out on, and he was compelled by the bond to seek out Myrelle? I think it was her.  That was one of the reasons Moiraine passed his bond to her, so she could help him get through that rage.  He's certainly got more self-discipline than your average warder, but Myrelle notes in her POV when Lan draws closer to her that, while he didn't seek out fights, he also didn't try to avoid them, and she see from her POV that he's definitely feeling the rage.

He definitely went into the death rage, he just didn't have any clear target to take it out on, and he was compelled by the bond to seek out Myrelle? I think it was her.  That was one of the reasons Moiraine passed his bond to her, so she could help him get through that rage.  He's certainly got more self-discipline than your average warder, but Myrelle notes in her POV when Lan draws closer to her that, while he didn't seek out fights, he also didn't try to avoid them, and she see from her POV that he's definitely feeling the rage.

Additionally there are numerous quotes in ACoS and PoD about how cold and death-like his eyes are.  Elayne even says something along the lines that she hopes he can be spared his fate for Nynaeve's sake, but that she doesn't believe he will because of the look in his eyes.  Nynaeve is also well aware that she is the only reason Lan has to continue living (I think Myrelle and Siuan talk about how the best way to help a Warder survive the death of his AS is to find something more important to him than his own death).

Gawyns skill saved him from the Bloodknives, but only just - he was expecting them, and they were not used to fighting in pitch blackness. plus, the fight almost killed him.

Gawyn won because he got lucky. Per the authors after Rand lost his hand it went Lan>Galad>Gawyn.

Interview: 2010 sleepinghour (8 November 2010)
Who is the best swordsman in WoT right now? Lan, Galad, or Gawyn?
Brandon Sanderson (8 November 2010)
Lan. Then Galad. Then Gawyn. Gawyn is luckier than he thinks he is.

Archived