DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes

Turin Turambar

While looking on another topic came across some great Princess Bride Quotes. Wot has some good Quotes also. What are your favorites?

Wot: Mat to Brigitte in Tom Ch 22: "They should post a flaming explanation on those doorways. 'Step through here and they can bloody hang you. And they will. Idiot'"

PB: Wesley falling down the hill "as... you... wish!" (didn't want to pick one used in other threads)

Have at it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because today we live in a society in which spurious realities are manufactured by the media, by governments, by big corporations, by religious groups, political groups...So I ask, in my writing, What is real? Because unceasingly we are bombarded with pseudo-realities manufactured by very sophisticated people using very sophisticated electronic mechanisms. I do not distrust their motives; I distrust their power. They have a lot of it. And it is an astonishing power: that of creating whole universes, universes of the mind. I ought to know. I do the same thing.

I've always loved that line.

"The way of the world is to bloom and to flower and die but in the affairs of men there is no waning and the noon of his expression signals the onset of night. His spirit is exhausted at the peak of its achievement. His meridian is at once his darkening and the evening of his day."

— Cormac McCarthy

"King Kong ain't got shit on me!"

"Darling," replied Valentine, "has not the count just told us that all human wisdom is summed up in two words? - `Wait and hope.'" - The Count of Monte Cristo

This post has been edited by Gympok: Yesterday, 12:01 AM

Great pick! I need to re-read that one. One of my fav of all time.

If you meet the Buddha in the lane, feed him the ball.

-- Phil Jackson

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.

-- Michael Jordan

I dont want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant.

-- Kobe Bryant

I just said to myself, "Damn, I’m a great player."

-- Shaq

REPORTER: Toughest opponent you’ve played against over the years?

SHAQ: Nobody.

"What you have to do with your mind, when your body is miserable, is to make it think of something else."

- Frances Hodgson Burnett, A Little Princess

'No man knows till he experiences it, what it is like to feel his own life-blood drawn away into the woman he loves."

- Bram Stoker, Dracula

"I want to put my hand out and touch you. I want to do for you and care for you. I want to be there when you're sick and when you're lonesome."

- Edith Wharton, Ethan Frome

Arthur: I have often thought that in the hereafter of our lives, when I owe no more to the future and can be just a man, that we may meet, and you will come to me and claim me as yours, and know that I am your husband. It is a dream I have...

- Excalibur, 1981

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Oh! I love that one!

Fezzik: You never said anything about killing anyone.

Vizzini: I've hired you to help me start a war. It's an prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition.

Fezzik: I just don't think it's right, killing an innocent girl.

Vizzini: Am I going MAD, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass.

Inigo Montoya: I agree with Fezzik.

Vizzini: Oh, the sot has spoken. What happens to her is not truly your concern. I will kill her. And remember this, never forget this: when I found you, you were so slobbering drunk, you couldn't buy Brandy!

[turning to Fezzik]

Vizzini: And YOU: friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless! Do you want me to send you back to where you were? Unemployed, in Greenland?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inigo Montoya: He's right on top of us. I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inigo Montoya: Where is this Count Rugen now, 'cause I'mma kill him?

Fezzik: He's in the castle with the prince. But the castle gate is guarded by thirty men.

Inigo Montoya: [angrily kicks a stool, then calms down] How may do you think you could handle?

Fezzik: I don't think more than ten.

Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You've made your decision then?

Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vizzini: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?

Man in Black: Australia.

Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You're just stalling now.

Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.

Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!

Man in Black: Then make your choice.

Vizzini: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?

Man in Black: [Vizzini gestures up and away from the table. Roberts looks. Vizzini swaps the goblets]

Man in Black: What? Where? I don't see anything.

Vizzini: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. First, let's drink. Me from my glass, and you from yours.

Man in Black, Vizzini: [Vizzini and the Man in Black drink]

Man in Black: You guessed wrong.

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and falls to the ground dead]

Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.

Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

See my sig, it's Pug in Magician by Feist if u r not familiar.

I am Ashen-Shugar. I am Tomas- Tomas/Ashenshugar again Feist

If I could pray with my cock, I'd be much more religious- Tyrion Clash of Kings, I think I have the quote correct can't be bothered to look.

Always liked Samwise Gamgees speech at the end of Two Towers movie but I think alot of the power from that speech comes from the scenes playing out as he speaks. Again can't be bothered to find the film to get the whole quote, but it finishes with Sam answering a question of Frodo's by saying "There's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for." He says it in the ruins of Osgiliath. Any LotR nuts who can quote rthe whole speech without referring to the film? and be honest

and of course gollum, gollum

But my fave quote from a character i film or books etc is... "HEY YOU GUYS!!!" U must know where thats from

I do have a book of famous quotes by "real" people. Famous monarchs, politicains, musicians etc. will try and find it soon as there are some crackers in there.

"Carol Connelly: OK, we all have these terrible stories to get over, and you-...

Melvin Udall: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good. "

asgoodasitgets.jpg

"Melvin Udall: Where do they teach you to talk like this? In some Panama City "Sailor wanna hump-hump" bar, or is it getaway day and your last shot at his whiskey? Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here. "

- As Good As It Gets

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

(i also think tom or one of the WoT characters said the same thing in one of the WoT books.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist" - Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects

Archived