DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes

Turin Turambar

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"First they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you, then you win" - Gandhi

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" Epicurus

"There is nothing more frightening than active ignorance." Goethe

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire

I wanted to think of fun, snappy, movie and book quotes, but these were the only ones I could come up with lol.

• 1 month later...

Big Trouble in Little China

Jack: "Its like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides that its all in the reflexes."

and

At the brothel

Chinese Lady: "Cash or Charge?"

Jack: "Well cash I guess, I mean its not deductable now is it?"

and

Jack: "You just listen to old Jack Burton, on a dark and stormy night. When an eight foot tall wild eyed mad man taps the back of your favorite head on a bar room wall, and asks if you've paid your dues."

"Have you paid your dues, Jack?"

"You just look that succor in the eye, and say 'Yes sir, the check is in the mail.'"

and

In the sewer

Egg: "It will come out no more."

Jack: "What, what will come out no more?"

and

In the sewer

Egg: "Ah Black Blood of the Earth."

Jack: "What you mean oil?"

Egg: "No, I mean Black Blood of the Earth."

Jack talking to his insurance company

Jack: "Now I'm going to tell you about an accident, and I don't want to hear act of God"

Jack and Wangs interview with Lo Pan

"You will have to watch too much to type"

Jack and Wang stuck in an elevator

Jack: "Ok, up the cables and we'll be out."

Wang: "Those cables are 50 feet long and covered in grease Jack."

Jack: "Thats right, that means they are real and we can touch them."

More lots more. Its a fantasic movie

"What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary." George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life

"I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It's not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love." Linus in A Charlie Brown Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" Hunter S Thompson

"The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we … kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok … But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace." Bill Hicks

"to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,

Thou canst not then be false to any man." - Polonius in Hamlet Act 1 Sceen 3

You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire,

wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you,

Flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass! - Gandalf

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. - Mark Twain

My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation

which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes. - Ronald Reagan

I'll offer three...all by The Doctor:

''Limits? - Today's not the day to find out why I have so many...''

''Are you playing games with me? Don't play games with me. Don't EVER think you can do that.''

''Rule One: The Doctor lies.''

Fish

"Don't play games with me! You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand! I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the Universe. Look me up."

- The Tenth Doctor, Forest of the Dead

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Hunter S Thompson

"Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable."

The Doctor: Davros, if you had created a virus in your laboratory, something contagious and infectious that killed on contact, a virus that would destroy all other forms of life; would you allow its use?

Davros: It is an interesting conjecture.

The Doctor: Would you do it?

Davros: The only living thing... The microscopic organism... reigning supreme... A fascinating idea.

The Doctor: But would you do it?

Davros: Yes; yes. To hold in my hand, a capsule that contained such power. To know that life and death on such a scale was my choice. To know that the tiny pressure on my thumb, enough to break the glass, would end everything. Yes! I would do it! That power would set me up above the gods! And through the Daleks, I shall have that power!

i am overhwelmed by inappropriate affection.

it will pass.

thank you.

I think the only appropriate response to that is another Doctor Who quote: "Well, now I know you're mad. I just wanted to make sure."

Archived