DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Precipice of a journey.

ScottLopez

Hello, my name is Scott. I'm a fantasy junkie. *pauses for everyone to say "Hi Scott"*

I've been a fantasy junkie since I can remember seeing 'The Hobbit' way back in the 80's. I ventured into Dragonlance Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman on abridged audio book. I can't exactly recall when I picked up the actual book but I do remember reading the trilogy. From there I eventually ran out of books to read (I'm insanely picky when it comes to reading books) and a friend introduced me to Drizzt Do'Urden via R.A. Salvatore. I read so much Forgotten Realms novels that I got burned out (Dark Elf Trilogy, Icewind Dale Trilogy, Cleric Quintet, Hunters Blades Trilogy, etc., etc.). I have journeyed through Stephen Kings' Dark Tower series (7 Books), again, off a recommendation from a co-worker and finished that early in 2010. It's been 14 months since I have experienced an epic storyline.

I become so engrossed when I read fantasy novels, it's like I'm right there with Tanis Half-Elven as we fight Draconians in Darken Wood, lay on the fresh spring grass with Regis Rumblebelly as he reclines lazily near one of the lakes of Ten-towns, or follow the gunslinger Roland as he pursues the man in black across the desert.

I come to you now WoT readers/followers/historians of lost tales to ask a favor. I have stumbled upon what I hope to be my next great adventure. My 'precipice of a journey'. There is but one problem and I have an example to base this exact instance on. When R.A. Salvatore wrote his first novel he started with 'The Crystal Shard'. However, it was so well received that with his first trilogy he proceeded to go back and write a prequel called the Dark Elf trilogy. It is there that I started and had no regrets.

Here you see my problem. While researching the order for WoT, I found that New Spring is a prequel set some 20 years previous to the events of The Eye of the World. From what I've read of WoT readers/fans, you revel in new comers sharing in their first experiences. I'd like to have my first experience. There is a fork in the road and I am a blind man that can not read the signs. Please help me find my way.

Thank you for the help in advance,

Scott

Hi Scott! :smile:

I think the common opinion is that it's best to start off with Eye of the World. While New Spring does provide a lot of background information on the series, it kinda ruins some of the fun surprises in the regular main set. I wouldn't read it until after Fires of Heaven (book five) at least.

... if that's what you were asking guidance for, that is :unsure:

but have fun with the books regardless! Lots of long time fans here who positively pounce on any newcomer's stories :)

New Spring should be read in publication order, which was somewhere after the 9th or 10th volume. (I forget.) It reveals details about some characters' backgrounds that would make the characters less mysterious when met in the normal course of the story. It also uses a lot of in-world terminology without easing into it the way the early books in the series do.

So are you asking what order you should read the WoT in?

While New Spring is set previous to the events of the WoT main storyline, I would still recommend you read at least a few WoT books before trying it. It uses characters and WoT jargon known from the main series and you may find yourself a bit confused/lost without the introduction to the WoT world. Additionally, purely from an enjoyment perspective, you'll probably be entertained and enjoy NS more if you know where these characters came from in the original series.

So basically, I'd suggest reading NS as a prequel, not as the first book. A lot of people here, when doing their rereads, read NS based on its publishing chronology(after Crossroads of Twilight). I don't think you need to wait that long, but I'd definitely suggest waiting at least a couple of books into the series. Personally, for plot reasons, I'd say read it after the 5th book in the series- Fires of Heaven. You'll understand why I say that after you finish FoH, I think it's the perfect time to do so. :wink:

Welcome, Scott.

As Ashanderei said, it'd be best for you to read the first couple books first (I'd recommend finishing book 5, the Fires of Heaven). It's similar to reading the Dunk & Egg novels of a Song of Ice and Fire before reading the main series.

Unfortunately, this is my 667th post. Anyways, you'll find that these boards are full of recovering "fantasy junkies." Also, you might want to check out the Structured Discussion Boards so as to avoid spoilers.

I was, in fact, asking for the read order. :happy:

For the first time reader, I'd say

1. The Eye of the World

2. The Great Hunt

3. The Dragon Reborn

4. The Shadow Rising

5. The Fires of Heaven

6. Lord of Chaos

New Spring

7. A Crown of Swords

8. The Path of Daggers

9. Winter's Heart

10. Crossroads of Twilight

11. Knife of Dreams

12. The Gathering Storm

13. Towers of Midnight

14. A Memory of Light

On future rereaders, start with New Spring and proceed as normal.

read eye of the world first. wait progressively longer between books until you're waiting a couple, three years between books. then, when you're really dying to know what happens next, wait a few more years, and read new spring.

then get really, really. . . annoyed.

and wait a few more years to finish the rest of the series.

that's what i did, ayup.

i think it's the best way to go.

I read New Spring first, then the first half of the Eye of the World, then The Great Hunt, then the second half of The Eye of the World. (I only had half of it, and didn't realize it until I started The Great Hunt)

Anyhow.

Start with the Eye of the World, it'll give you a lot more mystery and what-not. If you start with A New Spring, you'll still thoroughly enjoy the series, you'll just miss some of the questioning and what not that a lot of first-time readers get.

Hi Scott and welcome.

It's pretty cool seeing someone else's read list that so closely parallels my own in the fantasy genre growing up.

Hobbit>LotR>Dragonlance>Salvatore.

Have to agree with most in this thread to start New Spring sometime after books 5 or 6 for sure.

If you are one that does not mind spoilers, you can read the prequel in any order with the main series.

If you want to avoid spoilers, probably read it some time after the first couple books.

I read it when I finished my first time through.

Start with The Eye of the World, read through A Crown of Swords (Book 7). Then, if you want to break up the series a little bit (books 8-10 are slower paced than the rest for the most part) you can read either New Spring: The Novel or the Big White Book of Crappy Artwork (BWBoCA) anywhere in there for a change of pace. Once you read book 13 and it isn't March 2012 yet, then you look at all the forum threads on here or theoryland or check out the Thirteenth Depository or Encyclopaedia WoT and be blown away by all the theories that seem to make sense now that you mention it that you never really realized before. Then, you reread the entire series again once or more until March 2012 and read the last book and cheer because it's finally completed and weep because it's finally completed.

Short answer: If New Spring was meant to be read first, then RJ would have written it first. He did not. Happy Reading!

Scott,

After reading The Shadow Rising, you should take a brief side-trip and read The Strike at Shayol Ghul. It's a short flashback to the Age of Legends which ties together a few apparent loose ends. You could read The Strike at Sahyol Ghul earlier without spoiling anything significant, but it will make a lot more sense if you read it right after book #4.

The Strike is not a book of its own. This short backstory essay was included in An Illustrated Guide to The Wheel of Time and is posted on several websites. Here's one:

http://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=The_Strike_at_Shayol_Ghul

Ok, got some time in to read the other night, got to mid 4th Chapter (I'm reading on a Kindle so can't give a page reference) I have to say, THERE ARE A TON OF CHARACTERS! Lol they're coming out of the woodwork. Is there a comic book adaptation that I can get some pictures going along with my read? My imagination can only put faces with Tam, Rand, Thom, Nynaeve, and Egwene.

Ok, got some time in to read the other night, got to mid 4th Chapter (I'm reading on a Kindle so can't give a page reference) I have to say, THERE ARE A TON OF CHARACTERS! Lol they're coming out of the woodwork. Is there a comic book adaptation that I can get some pictures going along with my read? My imagination can only put faces with Tam, Rand, Thom, Nynaeve, and Egwene.

Yeah there are comics, about 7 or so out so far, but they're pretty hard to get your hands on(very few in circulation and the publishers have been late on sending out the issues to retailers multiple times). Basically, I tried looking for them in three cities in the U.S.(if you're not in the U.S. I'm sorry but chances are slim of you getting a copy) and out of the two or so comic book stores in each city I tried, none of them had copies.

Finally, my hope dwindling, I checked one last time in a fourth city(I've lived in multiple places) and thankfully my luck came in- they had one of the 7 and were able to order the rest. That being said, the situation may have changed now that they have been in circulation for a little while and it might be slightly easier to find them.

As for online, most places I saw had the comics for extravagantly high prices and the sites that had cheaper prices were iffy, I didn't want to put in my credit card info somewhere like that. Anyhow, I'd suggest reading the electronic versions if you don't feel like waiting and searching for months to locate the paper ones.

• 1 month later...

WARNING! SPOILER ALERT Only meant to be read by people that have finished the 1st book. I'll not be held responsible for my theories etc. if you haven't read Book 1.

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm about 60%'ish through with the book and it feels like sloshing around in a swamp. I keep waiting for things to happen but there's this incessant walking and being chased (except they're only sensing they're being chased and not actually being within visual distance of their pursuers) BUT! <---notice the but please It seems like things are just inching towards the epic caliber that I'm looking for. Rand has his sword which I'm guessing has some significance be it magical or whatnot or passed down from his real father etc. Mat has his bejeweled dagger which is making him very Bilbo Baggins-esque with the paranoia about the thing, Perrin is possibly attuned with wolves or something along those lines, Egwene is blah. She's just there basically, nothing really going on, and the Aes Sedai and her Warder are MIA for the last 200 or so pages (huge potential for awesome except they're not being talked or written about so it sucks)

Blargh, I haven't slept so if this doesn't come out making very much sense it's the sleep deprivation talking.

And just putting my opinions in, I'm still reading the book and enjoy what I have read but I feel that the story is just dragging at this point and I'm looking for confirmation/encouragement that things will reach at least to some extent an 8 or 9 on the epic scale.

Reading New Spring first will actually ruin Eye of the World. The first time you're reading TEOFTW there's a lot of mystery in the air and you're unsure of quite a bit that becomes clear later on. New Spring will totally remove that from the book.

Definitely do not read New Spring first, and if possible wait at least until after book 3 to read it.

i read the first book a few years back now. the walk is long, but the results are worth it. i cant even begin to count how many times ive reread each book, i still find new little bits i missed before. the last book is something ive been waiting for most of my life, and at the same time ive always hoped for more and more books, so it doesnt end. its been a long journey, and one that will be sad to see finished. safe travels :)

Hey Scott.

Unfortunately, the first two books are kind of slow.

They're like the Fellowship portion of LotR.

I love the series, but for me I wasn't really entrhalled by it untill books 3 and 4.

Yes, there are buttloads of characters. If you ever really want a hint at what someone looks like, try Googling their name.

Though a lot of artists have wildly different ideas.

Archived