DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Verin's Letters

Luckers

I think you all are missing something, her letter was nearly perfect, but missed the timing slightly. Provision 1 is open the letter. If he does this, the waygate is sealed. Provision 2 is wait there for 30 days, this is obviously to keep his army there. If he keeps his army there, then they are present to fight the trollocs, which is probably exactly what is going to happen. The only mistake in her letter seems to be that the attack took more than 30 days to happen, which I am assuming was out of her control. So I guess I don't see why everyone thinks it was a huge failure.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its simple. Verin wards the letter, but makes the weaves weak, so they'll dissapate in a day or a bit longer maybe. The ward means she knows the letter becomes unreadable if mat opens the letter before she dies/comes back. So she hasn't broken her oaths. She intentionally uses the words and wording she does so mat is obliged to be there if the trollocs arrive any time soon, even if he doesn't open the letter. She probably doesn't tell egwene/elayne because she thinks they'll both have alot on their plate already, or doesn't want to let one person be the hero in everything. As someone else said, she probably wants the most appropriate person to handle each plot she knows of.

disappointed though because it just seems like mystery and drama for their sake only. kinda like what RJ was doing for like 5 books straight. If each major city has a million trollocs about to descend, then I'll believe it though.

The Band being camped outside the city was Chekov's Shocklance. There was no narrative purpose for them to be sitting so far outside once Mat did his deal with Elayne.

And when I saw that Elayne showed up at the Randland 500 with the flower of her chivalry, well, let's just say it seemed *very* likely to me that Caemlyn was going to be the Second War equivalent of Elan Morin throwing down the gauntlet in the Hall of Servants - which was simultaneous with the opening of the First War.

Maradon's been threatened before, along with the whole of the Borderlands. That's why the Saldaeans have freaking trench lines north of the city, and it's kind of implied by them being, y'know, the Border with the Big Guy. And for that matter, we the readers have seen Trollocs marching around since the first book.

But in 13 books, we've never seen anything like the First War, where no one was safe, and where the Shadow was carried "down into the Rorn M'doi and the heart of Satelle." Or when the Shadow razed the Hall of Servants and fought at the Gates of Paaren Disen itself. Stalingrad in Crypto-Arabian Horsepeopleland doesn't come close to the impact of ripping the heart out of the city we've seen in almost every book.

What this means is that the Big Guy's *finally* hired Tony "Duke" Evers, who told him what he needed to hear:

You know all there is to know about fighting, so there's no sense us going down that same old road again. To beat Rand Al'Thor, you need surprise - you don't have it. And your pathetic Darkfriends can't take the pounding, so hard running is out. And you got crappy Chosen left, and you've got Fain dicking around, so sparring is out.

So, what we'll be calling on is good ol' fashion blunt force trauma. Horsepower. Heavy-duty, cast-iron, piledriving Trollocs that will have to hurt so much they'll rattle Lews Therin back in the Age of Legends. Every time you hit him with a shot, it's gotta feel like he tried kissing the express grolm.

Yeah!

Let's start building some hurtin' bombs!

Cue "Gonna Fly Now." We then see the Big Guy and like a billion Trollocs training hard, drinking jumara eggs for breakfast, trying to catch Draghkar, beating up on punching bags shaped liked (and made out of) humans, and then finally doing a victorious run up the steps to the Pit of Doom. Duke and Paulie nod appreciatively.

(Then get turned into blades for Fades)

In this series, stupid behavior can often be explained by being the will of the Pattern. Perhaps Mat will feel guilty about not opening the letter and thus allowing the destruction of Caemlyn to happen. His guilt leads to some sort of character growth. Or maybe the attack had to happen to set certain events in motion, but events happened as they did so the Band would be present at the time to defend the city. Verin couldn't help being dumb, her method was exactly what was required to lead to the proper result. It's a bit lame, but that's how this series works, in a way.

In this series, stupid behavior can often be explained by being the will of the Pattern. Perhaps Mat will feel guilty about not opening the letter and thus allowing the destruction of Caemlyn to happen. His guilt leads to some sort of character growth. Or maybe the attack had to happen to set certain events in motion, but events happened as they did so the Band would be present at the time to defend the city. Verin couldn't help being dumb, her method was exactly what was required to lead to the proper result. It's a bit lame, but that's how this series works, in a way.

This is what I don't understand. Can someone explain to me (I've been studying for a test since I read ToM, so I may have forgotten something) why Verin didn't just tell Mat that the letter was important, and had to be given to Elayne? Or Egwene? Or Perrin? Or Rand? Or Anyone who would have felt compelled to help. I don't understand at all. Verin is sitting on ridiculously important info, and thinks, "Hmm, I'll just give this to a person not at all motivated to help me, with no instructions that the information is important at all." One sentence different, while still not breaking her oaths, could have had Mat delivering the letter into better hands.

This letter had to be one of the most disappointing moments for me. I was expecting some crazy stuff to be in it. It turns out to be some generic info that really didn't make me feel any better. I kind of assumed that something crazy was going to happen in Camelyn for a long time because of Elaida's Foretelling. Not only that, but the entire situation involved in how Verin handled it was terrible. She could have just told Egwene... there was absolutely no reason for this elaborate (fail) plot.

Not only that, but the entire situation involved in how Verin handled it was terrible. She could have just told Egwene... there was absolutely no reason for this elaborate (fail) plot.

My feelings, exactly. Weakest part of the book by far. Just complete and utter idiocy. 

Just a plot device, nothing else. :(

This is what I don't understand. Can someone explain to me (I've been studying for a test since I read ToM, so I may have forgotten something) why Verin didn't just tell Mat that the letter was important, and had to be given to Elayne? Or Egwene? Or Perrin? Or Rand? Or Anyone who would have felt compelled to help. I don't understand at all. Verin is sitting on ridiculously important info, and thinks, "Hmm, I'll just give this to a person not at all motivated to help me, with no instructions that the information is important at all." One sentence different, while still not breaking her oaths, could have had Mat delivering the letter into better hands.

I actually think that Verin's oaths to the Dark One prohibited her from telling people about his plans, which she interpreted as actually speaking to people. Thus the need for all the letters because she wasn't ready to die yet over telling Mat about the Waygate at Caemlyn. Just a thought but it makes the most sense to me and explains the letter writing spree she's been on.

First off, didn't Elaida have a foretelling that Andor or Cam would be the key to the last battle? I had started thinking it was about those dragons but then the end came. Now I think they will have to retake it and win a very important victory or basically it will become the epicenter of the fight and their win will require them to take it, thus it being the key. I also agree that what Verrin did was a very bad lapse of judgement. It could be perhaps because of the situation she was under but it seems like a gross misjudgement for someone like her.

The royal line of Andor would be important. The fact everyone except Rand is unaware he's of the royal line doesn't mean it's any less true. :)

I was quite disappointed with the letter too. I can buy that Verin misjudged Mat's character, since she doesn't know him much personally. What I don't get is why she didn't tell Egwene about this attack when she visited her in TGS and was able to speak freely. I know she didn't have much time, but it's a major thing and could've been done in 2 minutes. Or why Verin didn't give the same letter to someone else before going to Egwene. The whole thing just looked like a clumsy plot device to me.

I was quite disappointed with the letter too. I can buy that Verin misjudged Mat's character, since she doesn't know him much personally. What I don't get is why she didn't tell Egwene about this attack when she visited her in TGS and was able to speak freely. I know she didn't have much time, but it's a major thing and could've been done in 2 minutes. Or why Verin didn't give the same letter to someone else before going to Egwene. The whole thing just looked like a clumsy plot device to me.

Even better why not send this letter to Elayne?

I was quite disappointed with the letter too. I can buy that Verin misjudged Mat's character, since she doesn't know him much personally.  What I don't get is why she didn't tell Egwene about this attack when she visited her in TGS and was able to speak freely. I know she didn't have much time, but it's a major thing and could've been done in 2 minutes.  Or why Verin didn't give the same letter to someone else before going to Egwene. The whole thing just looked like a clumsy plot device to me.

Even  better why not send this letter to Elayne?

She probably did send one to Elayne but the only letters that actually reach Elayne are those full of spelling mistakes and insults.

Aes Sedai always have plots withing plots that still hide others. My money is on Verin knowing exactly what Mat would do. We have no idea how many letters she delivered. I'm guessing that she was lying about being forced to wait for Mat in that mountain town, (I forgot the name).

Remember, Verin knows more about the Black Ajah and Darkfriends than any of the Lightfriends. Perhaps she knew that telling Egwene certain things straight out would've been found out by the shadow. Or maybe someone acting too soon would cause the shadow to change their plans. She may be using the shadow's strategy against them; trying to play both sides. The shadow would have no idea how their plans kept getting frustrated. A black sister who committed suicide to reveal the shadows plans? Preposterous! Darkfriends don't think like that. But if she just dumped everything in Egwene's lap, or not twisted Mat's guts around his oath the shadow would've known they had inside information by Mat and Egwenes actions.

But if she just dumped everything in Egwene's lap, or not twisted Mat's guts around his oath the shadow would've known they had inside information by Mat and Egwenes actions.

I don't think this is gonna turn out to be the reason, but it makes a lot of sense to me. (Like with the cracked Enigma codes in WW2, which I assume is what you had in mind as well.)

I also have a question: Everybody seems to have picked up on something strange going on with Olver. I totally missed that, cause he was always such a minor character to me. What has made everyone so suspicious of him? What am I not seeing?

But if she just dumped everything in Egwene's lap, or not twisted Mat's guts around his oath the shadow would've known they had inside information by Mat and Egwenes actions.

I don't think this is gonna turn out to be the reason, but it makes a lot of sense to me. (Like with the cracked Enigma codes in WW2, which I assume is what you had in mind as well.)

I also have a question: Everybody seems to have picked up on something strange going on with Olver. I totally missed that, cause he was always such a minor character to me. What has made everyone so suspicious of him? What am I not seeing?

Everyone's freaking because Olver wants to kill the Shaido that killed his father lol :P

Yes, Olver has rejected the Way of the Leaf.

Why that should cause such consternation, I dunno.

See, I totally forgot that he was a Tinker. Alright, so there was something noteworthy. Still no alarm bells ringing for me, though.

He's not a tinker so far as we know - just a Carheinian refugee kid.

Err, alright, I'm confused. I thought you were being sarcastic and what you were actually saying was "Olver's a tinker (the way of the leaf thing), so obviously his picking up a knife is significant." But what you're saying then is that you ARE surprised that it's caused such consternation?

I'm still none the wiser then. :)

I was wondering...did anyone notice that Galad also received a letter (pg. 659, the chapter in which his mother was married)? Not to mention his half-brother did as well.

You forgot missing Alanna who also had left an envelope with broken red seal and went to borderlands. My suspicions on Luc revelations

So the only known recipients of the letters are Galad, Rand, Mat, and Alanna?

Yes.

Err, alright, I'm confused. I thought you were being sarcastic and what you were actually saying was "Olver's a tinker (the way of the leaf thing), so obviously his picking up a knife is significant." But what you're saying then is that you ARE surprised that it's caused such consternation?

I'm still none the wiser then. :)

I'm surprised that anybody would be surprised because he's a normal kid with normal thoughts of violent revenge and dreams of being a good soldier. I would understand the surprise if he was a tinker.

So the only known recipients of the letters are Galad, Rand, Mat, and Alanna?

I don't remember but Verin's letter to Mat - was it the same description - with red seal to be precise? Because Galad's, Rand's and Alanna's letter have this common denumenator - red seal on each one. If Mat's letter had it, then the letters were all from Verin, if not, then somebody else (perhaps of sinister inclination).

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

It's elementary ( to us ) that Verin should have had more than a single string for her bow, fired more than a single arrow to hit that target. Randland is apparently not a place given to failsafes.

Archived