DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Verin's Letters

Luckers

I have to re-read the flaming Gathering Storm now because of this bloody letter. I was hoping it would be a list of flaming Darkfriends within Mat's camp, or some note revealing who killed Asmodean (not that Mat would be interested)... or if Demandred is impersonating someone, who that someone might be. Instead it is some bloody warning, if this is the case then how was she able to write it down, would that not betray her Dark Oaths? What was the point of waiting. She could have said, "If I'm not back tomorrow open this letter and follow the instructions. The fate of Caemlyn is at stake." To say that would not betray the Dark One and may have saved Caemlyn.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to re-read the flaming Gathering Storm now because of this bloody letter. I was hoping it would be a list of flaming Darkfriends within Mat's camp, or some note revealing who killed Asmodean (not that Mat would be interested)... or if Demandred is impersonating someone, who that someone might be. Instead it is some bloody warning, if this is the case then how was she able to write it down, would that not betray her Dark Oaths? What was the point of waiting. She could have said, "If I'm not back tomorrow open this letter and follow the instructions. The fate of Caemlyn is at stake." To say that would not betray the Dark One and may have saved Caemlyn.

She might have been able to say, "The information it contains will help a friend of yours." She could not have said. "The fate of Caemlyn is at stake." There was an active Dark plot afoot that she would have been betraying.

Come to think of it, why did Verin made Mat swear to do what's asked of him in the letter? She could've just make him give his word not to open in it until 10 days are passed, and then open it, without obligation to do anything. If he knows about the invasion, of course he'll try all he can to stop it. This way he'd have opened the letter for sure, since he wouldn't risk anything.

Have to agree with the majority; unless we don't know everything there is to know about this letter quite yet (and I find that hard to believe) then Verin screwed up on telling Mat what she did. Even if she didn't know him very well, I'm pretty sure she knows that Two Rivers men are stubborn and don't like being told what to do, and from her time there in tSR, surely she would've picked up some things about Mat from his father or someone there - by the end of it they were talking to them more, right?

I seriously don't get why she didn't just say 'I hope you heed what is written in the letter, but it is for you to decide how to act when it comes down to it. It would be best to read it imminent to your arrival in Caemlyn, but so long as it is before 20 days after you arrive, everything will be fine. I want your oath that you will read it within 20 days.' Done and done. (okay, there is probably a loop hole in there, but Branderson could've figured it out)

Plus, I feel bad for Olver having to have been the one to read it first and then going outside and seeing Caemlyn burning. *shakes head* If he dies in Caemlyn I'm putting the book down straight away. That small baby dying during Avi's visit in Rhuidean almost killed me as it is :angry: Olver would just not be fair!

Didn't wanna say anything about Caemlyn in the title--too many threads on it--but that's what this thread be about.

Did anyone else find Olver incredibly creepy? Jason said tragic, I say budding sociopath.

What's creepy about it? He wants to avenge his family. I would do absolutely the same thing if I was him. How can anyone not at least make some plans to murder the killers of his loved ones?

The only thing about Olver which was a bit disturbing was that a kid who is 9 or 10 years old at most was thinking how he was going to start drinking and hunting serving girls in another year or so.

Which isn't even that creepy when you look at what everyone around him is doing, in that situation most people would think that is the next step in a normal progression of maturity.

Guest tarator17

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker and fan / first time poster here. I really enjoy the awesome theories and the insight I often glean from the discussions here, but something has been bugging me since I finished ToM and I couldn't find a mention of it in any forums I saw.

Since nobody mentioned this maybe it's not what I thought, but didn't someone (Perrin I think) notice Galad holding a letter with a red seal? It seemed like one of those momentary observations that don't seem important until something happens to surprise us, but the content of that letter was never revealed, just like the letter Rand got in the Tower. I'm sorry I don't have a page or chapter since I'm away from my book, but I will provide it as soon as I get home.

Edit: Sorry, it appears someone did mention Galad. I had yesterday's version of this thread opened, and I thought jusy refreshing the page would show me any new posts (apparently it did not). But I really do want to know what's in those letters!

Olver's not that creepy. Also I think he's around 12, and I was certainly thinking about girl's and booze at 12.

Another thought concerning Olver, is that maybe he is a little bit Ta'varen himself. He wants revenge on the Aiel that killed his father. Where better to learn how to fight than with the band. He will almost certianly end up as more than just another foot solider, who better to teach him than Mat, who has also beaten the snakes and foxes.

As to Verins letter, well whenever Mat makes a promise, he see's it through. The only problem is getting him to make that promise in the first place. Verin just didn't realise that Mat's dislike of promising things, outweighs he curiosity. Verin dropped the ball on that one.

Personally, I don't get why everyone is so disappointed with this letter. Yes, it wasn't as grand as we expected, but there is a good reason for that. We tend to discuss and circulate everything here until it grows even bigger then it should be (see the obvious "who killed you-know-who"), no wonder our expectations grew so huge. Just think of it as another twist you never saw, a clever manipulation upon our poor, overly analytical minds.

I rather like the idea of Mat seeing a different message when he reads it, makes one wonder if such a weave is known by Verin. It should be interesting to see this play out, though I don't think it will be as bad as some people fear (particularly Talmanes). Rand posted guards on all the Waygates he could find, so there should be some warning unless Elayne removed them (not likely if she has even an iota of intelligence). Additionally, I don't think Elayne would have left her precious city too undefended after that conversation with the Black Sisters, so there should still be some decent forces there to help the Band.

May you find Water and Shade.

Could it be that Verin wrote to Alanna that she knew Alanna was DF? And she didn´t tell Egwene because of Alanna bonding Rand. Verin wouldn´t risk that Rand would go (more) crazy, if Alanna was killed

Could it be that Verin wrote to Alanna that she knew Alanna was DF? And she didn´t tell Egwene because of Alanna bonding Rand. Verin wouldn´t risk that Rand would go (more) crazy, if Alanna was killed

If Alanna is a BA, Rand's likely to figure it out from the bond itself, given his new ability to nail DFs.

I think Verin wrote to Alanna about the Borderlands invasion and she's off to Arafel to do what she can to help.

I'm starting on a re-read and something struck me that I had forgot about the first time. The letter Rand gets when he visits WT is most likely from Verin but we never got to know the content of it did we?

Verin seems to really have made sure she still plays a role after her death. Seems everyone got a letter. Rand, Galad, Alanna, Mat...

I'm starting on a re-read and something struck me that I had forgot about the first time. The letter Rand gets when he visits WT is most likely from Verin but we never got to know the content of it did we?

Verin seems to really have made sure she still plays a role after her death. Seems everyone got a letter. Rand, Galad, Alanna, Mat...

Pretty sure this is Rand's letter from a friend that told him about the WT kidnapping Mattin Steph..(can't spell - the former King of Illian) and helped him find where the Domani king was. Also, it likely told him about darkfriends among the Tairen highlords which is why he lines them up and looks into their eyes. He was disappointed to find out it was Weiramon.

Pretty sure this is Rand's letter from a friend that told him about the WT kidnapping Mattin Steph..(can't spell - the former King of Illian) and helped him find where the Domani king was. Also, it likely told him about darkfriends among the Tairen highlords which is why he lines them up and looks into their eyes. He was disappointed to find out it was Weiramon.

Yeah that makes sense.

Olver is ten and has had extremely traumatic things happen to him. Him stealing a knife for self protection is hardly the mark of him becoming a sociopath. In fact his empathy for the people of Caemlyn shows that he is not.

Olver is also Caerhienin; I think that his "overly calculating" thoughts are simply him trying to play Daes Dae'mar which presumably Caerhienin children learn at their mother's knee...

Is this thread specifically about Verin's letter to Matt or about all her letters? I assume that it was Verin who sent that letter to Alanna Sedai in Tear.

I assume that Alanna was alerted by Verin about the impending invasion of the Borderlands. Alanna is from Arafel and is of the Green Battle Ajah. She would be keen to go and alert and help defend her homeland like any Borderlander. I guess this is why Rand guessed she was in Arafel.

Does anyone think of any other reason for Alanna's disappearance? She is not Black Ajah, I think. Although I do not know why Alanna would sneak off without telling anyone, or indeed alerting the others that the Borderlands were invaded.

According to the timelines I've seen, Verin met Mat almost a month before she met with Egwene in TGS. She made Mat promise to wait at least 10 days before opening it.

How come then she says in the letter "If you are reading this, then I am dead"? She must've been absolutely convinced she'd be dead or released from her oath not to reveal the DO's plans in 10 days when she gave Mat the letter, right? Otherwise the dark oaths wouldn't have allowed her to do it.

who delivered Galad his letter? he didn't get it from Verin. i assume that would be a PoV we would see...

I think the reason why Verin worded her request the way she did was because ta'veren actually means "how to justify dramatic plot twists"

It's not DRAMATIC for Elayne to close the waygate. It is dramatic for caemlyn to burn and the secrets of gunpowder to nearly be stolen.

Archived