DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Lesser-Known ''Fave Scenes''

The Fisher King

Nynaeve sucker-punching Moghedien towards the end of TSR. First fighting for her life, then:

Suddenly everything changed in Nynaeve’s mind. Moghedien’s was not a voice tight with anger; it was a voice tight with strain. Moghedien was not suddenly going to hurl all of her strength at her; she already was. The woman was putting out as much effort as she. [...] She was meeting one of the Forsaken, strength for strength!

Keep in mind, this was before the power inflation, in terms of strength there were the Forsaken, then Nynaeve.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice foreshadowing indeed. Do you mean just that or the whole battle? The last Warcry of Manetheren being spoken by Mat, the battle and the first time we see a grandiose use of the Power. Wonderful scene!

Well, the whole battle is nice. But since we're supposedly picking out Lesser Known scenes, and I imagine the entirety of that scene is pretty well remembered, I was mostly just talking about that one little bit. It's foreshadowing completely escapes you the first time you read through the book and you just glance over it. Then when you re-read, you catch that, and you're like, "Wait, is that foreshadowing? Did he actually mean to hint at THAT?!? Did he know that far ahead of time what he was going to do? He couldn't have, could he? He must have. Holy crap, that's incredible!"

One of my favourite lessed known scenes is near the end of The Dragon Reborn. Perrin walks into the blacksmiths shop next to his inn and starts helping out.

I love the way Perrin after all that has happened to him in the 3 books takes a minute to remember who he is and takes some joy in doing the familiar. the scene is also moving with Perrin and the master Blacksmith comunicating in that typical male artisan's way with as few words as needed. and finding Faile watching him in the end just completes the scene perfectly.

TDR is still my favourite book. Rand going nuts before accepting himself as the Dragon. Perrin being prodded and brow beaten for most of the book before finding himself, and Mat becomming a full character and taking a major "Level in Badd Ass"

From Paladin :

I love the way Perrin after all that has happened to him in the 3 books takes a minute to remember who he is

He f***ing spend 12 book remembering who he is! "I'm a Blacksmith", "I'm no lord", and so on is mentionned in every book. It's good in book 3, annoying the 9 others books :D

Yeah Firstfishman. But I love the foreshadowing. As many others, I suppose. Even if we don't know which were planed and which weren't.

Otherd scenes in bulk :

* Mat discovering Tuon is the Daughter of the Nine Moons. "What the Aelfinn said", WH

* Rand meeting Tuon at Falme in tGS.

* Tuon and Beslan in "Gambits" tGS.

* Rand in the Stone, when he explain the nobles what they have to do, and Daes Dae'Mared them to do as he wished before thrusting Callandor in the Stone (tSR)

Something I find funny is everobody mentioning Mat's battle with Couladin. A fight we never saw... we know what happened before, after, but not during the fight proper. So that makes me chuckle.

I liked when Mat was trying to get away from the fighting outside of Cairhien but just kept getting pulled into the middle of battles he was trying to run away from.

Also, when Moghidien shielded Liandrin and Galina realized she wouldn't ever get away from Therava. It's funny when bad things happen to bad people.

In light of a certain posting on tor.com I'm going to say Mat and Rand's wagon ride into Caemlyn in tEotW was pretty good.

I is confuseled :(

Fish

In case I missed the reply (don't think I did, but I am known to make mistakes :) ) this refers to a wagon ride with Almen Bunt from the last village west of Caemlyn (forgot the name) to Caemlyn. Mayhap you recognize the name from the new chapter?

I've got so many favorites, some of which are listed here already but will be listed again some and I cry your pardon for that. It's just a pain to dig up each post and reply that way. This is mostly weighted toward the first few books, since my memory of them is fresh right now. :)

1. Ingtar's Death

2. Rand's meeting with Siuan in Fal Dara

3. Lan's lesson on Sheathing the Sword

4. The Green Man's Death - same thing as Ingtar and Verin: he died well and by his death purchased a chance for others.

5. Rand among the columns of Rhuidean - I love back-story fill in, plus the descriptions of the Shaido in there with him.

6. Perrin at the forge in Tear

7. Seeing the darkhound footprint in Illian - this sort of made me shiver with anticipated dread

8. "My mother was Aiel." "Not your mother. Your father."

9. Birgitte and Mat out drinking

10. The wagon ride back to Cairhien from Caraline and Darlin's camp, when Min explains what happened to Rand before and you see for an instant that Cadsuane really does care.

11. Rand breaking Colavaere's crown and remaking it

12. <insert more scenes of awesome here>

So tough to pick my favorite scene,

Just after Nynaeve drops Lan off at the west end of the Borderlands. Traveling around the borderlands showing her ki'sain and Lan's ring. The Golden Crane flies again! I had tears in my eyes the first time I read that.

likewise. I've been waiting for this ever since I learned who Lan really is.

Chapter 1 of Towers of Midnight. Beyond that I can't say anything about it, and just mentioning it could be too much.

Non-spoiler one... eh, I guess Rand and Tuon's meeting. That was pretty awesome.

All the Maidens standing in a line waiting to break their spears if Rand would not honor them.

Sulin finally putting off her 'punishment' because the only son to ever be returned to the Maidens was in trouble.

Nynaeve demanding to know if her husband would ride alone.

The Wise Ones announcing that 'this girl has no toh towards me' when Egwene acknowledged her lie and took her punishment.

Aviendha coming clean with Elayne after laying out the switch, the stick and the dagger.

The Aiel ceremony where Aviendha and Elayne became First Sisters.

When Nynaeve freaks out and says 'I just Healed Logaine'.

When Rand first sees the Amyrlin at the beginning of TGH and Siuan has to admonish Moirane for 'letting Lan at him'.

Loial carrying Gaul all the way back to Emond's Field.

The women of Emond's Field in the double circle around the children of the village before the Battle of Emond's Field, Perrin admitting that he knows better than to interfere with Women's Circle business.

Finding the dark prophecy written in blood on the walls after Fain's escape.

Ingtar's admission and redemption.

The moment we all realized Moirane and Siuan had been pillow friends as Accepted - but maybe that one's just me ;)

I could go on, but I'm sure so could everyone else...

Also, when Dyelin meets Elayne in the Throne room to size up Elayne's intent.

Does Elayne intend to get the crown by virtue of "Rand gave it to me" or by virtue of her own merit? (and Dyelin's response, since you want the throne on your own, I'm with you."

The one place I really respect Elayne is that she does not want rand to GIVE her the crown that is rightfully hers. Rand keeps assuming Elayne will take the Sun Throne as well, but she does not seem to express thoughts about it-

All the Maidens standing in a line waiting to break their spears if Rand would not honor them.

Sulin finally putting off her 'punishment' because the only son to ever be returned to the Maidens was in trouble.

Nynaeve demanding to know if her husband would ride alone.

The Wise Ones announcing that 'this girl has no toh towards me' when Egwene acknowledged her lie and took her punishment.

Aviendha coming clean with Elayne after laying out the switch, the stick and the dagger.

The Aiel ceremony where Aviendha and Elayne became First Sisters.

When Nynaeve freaks out and says 'I just Healed Logaine'.

When Rand first sees the Amyrlin at the beginning of TGH and Siuan has to admonish Moirane for 'letting Lan at him'.

Loial carrying Gaul all the way back to Emond's Field.

The women of Emond's Field in the double circle around the children of the village before the Battle of Emond's Field, Perrin admitting that he knows better than to interfere with Women's Circle business.

Finding the dark prophecy written in blood on the walls after Fain's escape.

Ingtar's admission and redemption.

The moment we all realized Moirane and Siuan had been pillow friends as Accepted - but maybe that one's just me ;)

I could go on, but I'm sure so could everyone else...

Some very good ones in there... Also, when Dylin gets stabbed defending Elayne against the assassin and proves her loyalty.

The Trolloc battle in Emond's Field, when the women join the fighting: there's a description of one of them "calmly" hamstringing a Trolloc. Awesome!!! And the Tinkers, though refusing to fight, standing ready to get the children out. I bawled like a baby...

Archived