DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Lesser-Known ''Fave Scenes''

The Fisher King

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, while some fave quotes were mentioned, let me add couple of mine:

The lions sing and the hills take flight.

The moon by day, and the sun by night.

Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

and

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,

We ran to the sounds of the thunder.

We danced among the lightning bolts,

and tore the world asunder. (now this thing just gives me freaking shivers)

when mat enters salidar and starts throwin around the super three while they attempt to channel at him (although subsiquent scenes where they try to steal the medalion sucks)

when rand first enters cairhein and is smart enough to get assistance in the planning from the chieftains and lan

One of my favorite Mat scenes Ive just remembered was in TGS when he told whichever Aes Sedai it was in Hinderstap that he was here to save her, and Mat finally got a comeback in.

"Do I look like I need saving?" came the reply.

"Well you're here arent you?!?!"

That made me laugh. However it did also feel like it should be the end of that joke, that was a nice late version of it but I think doing it again now will take it too far. Unless the next person who says it is Aviendha, for some reason I think might be a funny one there waiting to happen there,

Favorite Mat quotes...

"Taking responsibility takes all the joy out of life, and drains a man to dust."

"Bad habits always pay off in the long run."

"I'm a gambler, a farmer and i'm here to take command of your bloody army".

You jut can't GET a better quote anywhere than THAT one, LOL!!!

Fish

I've always found the scene where Rand goes through the columns and sees when one of the traveling people right before having a heart attack remembers how he encountered AS that said Ishy was till partially free. She collected some items of power and when was asked where it was safe just laughed and went her way. Man, I can just imagine poor woman half crazy from all that's around her, knowing the secret that no one really clearly knew until after Rand took Callandor...I just imagine her being ultimate bad a$$ going after Ishy one on one...I've always consider her among "real AS" though we don't even know her name :(

Indeed. That is a really good part, NetSlider.

Fish

Where was this?

One of my fave scenes with Mat in it was when after getting drunk, Birgitte rounded Nyn and Elayne and told them that they owe Mat thanks on their knees for saving them in the Stone of Tear. Backed up by Avi, they had no choice but to go up and apologize to him. Serves em right for acting high and mighty.

When that Asha'man guard, for got his name, one of Taim's cronies, made a close mocking look at Rand and was not impressed by him. (The one who we heard the name Black Tower first)

Moridin in Ebou Dar, where he was just taking some time off to check what others find important.

Gaul mentioning that those Whitecloaks are slackers when it comes to sentry duty (During Perrin's rescue of the Cauthons in Book 4) Funny when Gaul mentioned that these Whitecloaks seem to think that their enemies will approach in a way that can be readily seen. Also the Aiel being impressed with Tam and Abel.

Another scene I enjoyed was in KoD, where a few Seanchan soldiers tried to get into Luca's circus without paying. The performers and horse handlers line up and stand their ground until the soldiers' commanding officer comes and takes control of the situation. Then her spiel about joining the army (which was brutally honest) followed by trying to recruit Luca(!) and saying if Mat joined he's probably be made an officer and she'd likely be taking orders from him (holy foreshadowing, batman!) was just a neat bit of storytelling. Suddenly everyone wanted to be elsewhere :laugh:

Also, a small detail.

Later, when Mat and company leave Luca's group, he recalls giving Petra and Clarine (out of friendship) a fat purse of gold toward their dream of owning an inn someday. Petra and Clarine are not major characters by any stretch, but Jordan felt their aspirations were worth following through on. Just a sentence here and there, but it fleshed out the minor players in this epic. This sort of thing wasn't quite as evident in TGS, unfortunately.

"When I was still an Accepted in the White Tower," Siuan said softly, "I was one of four people present when a Foretelling announced the impminent birth of the Dragon Reborn on the slopes of Dragonmount."

And the rest...

Who were the other three?

Fish

Siuan was with Moiraine, Gitara Moroso (the Forteller and Keeper) and Tamra Ospenya (Amyrlin Seat). Gitara died then and there, and Tamra was later killed by the BA.

"When I was still an Accepted in the White Tower," Siuan said softly, "I was one of four people present when a Foretelling announced the impminent birth of the Dragon Reborn on the slopes of Dragonmount."

And the rest...

Who were the other three?

Fish

Siuan was with Moiraine, Gitara Moroso (the Forteller and Keeper) and Tamra Ospenya (Amyrlin Seat). Gitara died then and there, and Tamra was later killed by the BA.

What bout the Elaida???

Fish

Siuan was with Moiraine, Gitara Moroso (the Foreteller and Keeper) and Tamra Ospenya (Amyrlin Seat). Gitara died then and there, and Tamra was later killed by the BA.

What bout the Elaida???

Fish

As far as I know, Elaida has only been present for her own Foretellings, and has almost surely misinterpreted the meaning of each of them.

Siuan was with Moiraine, Gitara Moroso (the Foreteller and Keeper) and Tamra Ospenya (Amyrlin Seat). Gitara died then and there, and Tamra was later killed by the BA.

What bout the Elaida???

Fish

As far as I know, Elaida has only been present for her own Foretellings, and has almost surely misinterpreted the meaning of each of them.

Ah.

Fish

I've always like this scene in The Eye of the World. When Gawyn and Elayne are taking Rand to see their mother after he falls into the courtyard (or garden). Once he is in there they realize he has a heron mark blade and everybody tenses and Morgase refuses to believe it. But then Gareth Bryne says that he is too young but the sword belongs with him. Kind of makes it sound like Rand will become great even before we really know.

1. My all time favorite (and mentioned a few times already) is the Mat vs. Galad and Gawyn in TV after he is healed. Not only was it a great scene from the aspect that he bested two great swordsmen, but that he got his gold to start gambling. Mat's cash fortune can be traced back to that beginning.

2. I really enjoyed many of the scenes with Mat's and Perrin's early "military command". Mat's style is more "tried-and-true" tactics from his various memories or reflex actions from his memories. Perrin's style was more guerilla warfare. The two writing styles of RJ to grasp these two different military styles was ingenious.

3. Any time Mat says time to toss the dice.

4. The scenes where the AS are trying to figure out Mat's medallion. Especially once they figure out a physical item (stone) propelled with the source can still affect him. I could just picture mat getting hit by random stones.

5. I need to re-read the chapter to get it exact, but when the Blackguard came into Mat's camp looking for Toun.

6. Lan saving Ny from drowning.

Favorite scenes? There are several, but I'll be brief.

•  
  • Matt's battle with Couladin in FoH (minor? no, but awesome, yes.)
  • Moiraine and the gang battle Darkhounds in TDR
  • Ingtar's confession, and subsequent sacrifice in TGH. Awesome.
  • Thom taking on the Fade in EoTW
  • Any Loial fight scene.
  • Rand takes out Graendal in TGS. My wife still doesn't understand why this scene was cool.
  • Rand channels the True Source in TGS, and what he did with it.
  • Rand banishing Cadsuane, and his promise to her.
  • Rand 'saving' Liah in Shadar Logoth.
  • Pedron Niall's death scene.

Tam walked his horse down the slope to Perrin and sat studying the swelling Shaido ranks below, yet he seemed to hear Perrin's unspoken question. "I asked for volunteers from the Two Rivers men and picked the best bowshots, but those you took in started coming forward in groups. You gave them and their families homes, and they said they were Two Rivers men too, now."

My all time favorites are of course: The Columns of Rhuidean, The Portal Stone/possible worlds scene in The Great Hunt, the Cairhien Docks in The Fires of Heaven, and Dumai's Wells.

My favorite less obvious scene is the battle for Illian, especially when the Council of Nine crowns Rand, and he finds that he really is wearing a crown of swords. That scene redeemed that whole book for me. The idea that everyone thinks it is a metaphor until that scene was totally brilliant on RJ's part.

The first-sister bonding in Winter's Heart is another favorite of mine.

Archived