DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Lesser-Known ''Fave Scenes''

The Fisher King

I think the funniest scene for me was when Elayne and Nynaeve were pretending to be a lady and her maid and Nynaeve doesn't like it at all and says "My lady has been thinking? My lady's head must be tired from all that effort!" or something to that effect :}

Though one of the saddest scenes I remember is when that Ashaman guarding min goes insane, and Rand has to poison him with the wine.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

That was cool when I first read it. Now, after TGS and TOM, seeing the Pattern fraying, the Dark One's touch everywhere, the armies of the Shadow crashing into the Borderlands, and Rand being finally ready to face the Dark One, it's one of the most epic lines in fiction.

The opening scenes of the Eye of the World. Rand is worrying about Egwene and the man he saw in the Westwood, Mat is trying to get to see the Gleeman and get some honeycakes and worried about the impending punishment for his latest prank, Moiraine is a beautiful lady like nothing they've ever seen before, Nynaeve is wandering around threatening to thump people with a stick... they were all so young and innocent. Most of all, I love this:

"What kind of need would be great enough that we'd want the Dragon to save us from it?" Rand mused. "As well ask for help from the Dark One."

One that really gets me that I never see mentioned is when the Shaido are tricked by Sammael.

One of the sept chiefs (who would have been sent to become clan chief) is deposited in a trap between two of Rand's forces. He tells his wife to prepare to put on white then takes the warriors and runs off singing "Wash the Spears."

Always earns a tear from me. Say what you want about the Shaido. Those were true Aiel there.

Me too. I've seen a lot of people that didn't think that phrase was very WOT-like but it cracked me up. Still laughed out loud on the reread too.

Well, I kind of agree. I don't remember Mat referring to 'saidin' or 'saidar' at any time before TGS, he always just says 'the power'. I'm not sure he even knows the names of the halves.

In Lord of Chaos, in the chapter "A Sudden Chill," Mat's POV makes definite reference to Saidar.

One that really gets me that I never see mentioned is when the Shaido are tricked by Sammael.

One of the sept chiefs (who would have been sent to become clan chief) is deposited in a trap between two of Rand's forces. He tells his wife to prepare to put on white then takes the warriors and runs off singing "Wash the Spears."

Always earns a tear from me. Say what you want about the Shaido. Those were true Aiel there.

I don't think those were Shaido. I think they were Brotherless.

I don't think those were Shaido. I think they were Brotherless.

they where shaido, with a small contingent of brotherless, remember the Shaido dont trust the brotherless so they would have split them among all the groups that where leaving

• 10 months later...

In ToM, The Amyrlin's Anger, when Bryne is thinking of the Aes Sedai and their emotions. "Are they in control of their emotions? Or do those emotions just never change? If one is always concerned, one will always look the same." I thought the AS were the coolest things to have ever walked the earth, until we learned that they do have emotions, just a mask over them. I think Bryne hit on something here.

The scene that always breaks me up is the "retro-pro-spective" that occurs when Rand uses the Portal Stone to get the group from Cairhien to Falme. Everybody goes through a series of lives much like the rings of Rhuidean.

In between the Dark One whispering "I win again!", we see Rand finally coming into his own, too late, and discovering his purpose in a futile, last-ditch action against the Seanchan or against Trollocs, etc. All of the consequences of Rand not being found by Moiraine come crashing down over and over and over again.

^ Yeah some of those alternative histories were heart-wrenching.

Likewise with the Accepted testing for Egwene/Nynaeve.

One of my early favorite scenes was when they're camping after escaping Two Rivers. Moiraine is explaining what the One Power is and tests Egwene, Rand eavesdrops, that moment where Thom says 'it's beyond you now' is the first time it really hits either of them that they aren't going to live their lives together.

Also: Most of the scenes with Asmodean in FOH. There's a really melancholic atmosphere to them, you get the feeling Asmodean genuinely regrets turning to the Shadow, but at the same time he knows he's doomed and is already planning to slit his wrists before the Last Battle. it's one of the few moments of real moral ambiguity in the series (at least until later on when the Seanchan return).

Another of my favourites is Rand meeting Siuan at Fal Dara in the beginning of TGH. The way Lan teaches him warder etiquette so he has the confidence to stand up for himself was pretty funny, and we get our first glimpse of Rand's birth, and of his fate.

I'm sure there are more, can't think of them now though.

Some of my favourite scenes are where RJ manages to capture incredibly emotional moments. When Egwene leaves the Aiel LoC (Courage to Strengthen) and Sorilea hits here with "We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can be braver than we expect". That send off beautifully closed that chapter of Egwene's life.

Ingtar's moment of redemption in tGH was very powerful too and at the end of that book where Lanfear tells Min that Rand (Lews Therin) is hers!

Some of the lesser moments of high drama are also some of my favourite in the series. When Pevara and Seaine end up uncovering a Salidar spy AND a member of the BA all in one scene...amazing! Actually Pevara is one of my favourite lesser characters thinking about it.

Another favourite (for now) is when Elayne gets wasted and remembers who Thom is. I just thought that was hilarious!

When Mat comes in the tent right before the battle against Couladin and uses his newly acquired military prowess to give them a battle plan, off the cuff, just by looking at the map and knowing what he has and what he's going against. Major foreshadowing of awesomeness to come.

I'm reading through The Gathering Storm again and I forgot how funny the scene is where Mat meets up with Verin and she whips out one of the pictures of him that's being passed around and says it's darkfriends that are doing it. Mat is a little surprised and says he thought it was Verin and she asked him how he thought she did it and he replies; I thought you saidared it....

Always makes me laugh.

Archived