DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Lesser-Known ''Fave Scenes''

The Fisher King

And as for when Rand was given the name Shadowkiller:

Actually, he wasn't really "given" the name. Well, I mean to us readers it was, but it wasn't like that for the wolves. That's simply what he's supposed to be called. They knew what Rand was (at least, as much as a wolf can grasp something like that), so when Perrin was asking them to help track the Horn, at one point they up and say "Oh, BTW, those dudes you're after? Yeah, Shadowkiller nailed them pretty good last night. They're totally pissed now" and they couldn't really explain to Perrin what this "Shadowkiller" thing was. It was just...Shadowkiller. It wasn't that particular deed, or any other for that matter, that made them start calling him that. To the wolves, that's just what Rand is. It was more like they recognized him than it was like discovering something new.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And as for when Rand was given the name Shadowkiller:

Actually, he wasn't really "given" the name. Well, I mean to us readers it was, but it wasn't like that for the wolves. That's simply what he's supposed to be called. They knew what Rand was (at least, as much as a wolf can grasp something like that), so when Perrin was asking them to help track the Horn, at one point they up and say "Oh, BTW, those dudes you're after? Yeah, Shadowkiller nailed them pretty good last night. They're totally pissed now." It wasn't that particular deed, or any other for that matter, that made them start calling him that. To the wolves, that's just what Rand is. It was more like they recognized him than it was like discovering something new.

I agree. I think Shadowkiller is just what the wolves have always called Rand. Another name like Car'a'carn (sp?) and Coramoor, to describe the Dragon Reborn

Some Gawyn scenes that don´t involve him getting his butt kicked by Mat.

So, err AFTER he gets his butt kicked by Mat, Mat and Hammar are grumbling about how Galad isn´t "that" pretty and Gawyn has a huge grin on his face.

And him interacting with Elmindreda in the Tower. Back when he still had a sense of humor and he hadn´t become a whinemaster.

Know Rand's ancestor trip isn't exactly lesser known but forgot this passage from Solinda Sedai and just saw it again.

"Do you know what happened to the Aiel at Tzora? of course you do, the Aiel have more courage than .... Ten thousand Aiel linking arms and singing, trying to remind a madman of who they were and who he had been, trying to turn him with their bodies and a song. Jaric Mondoran killed them. He stood there staring as though at a puzzle, killing them, and they kept closing their lines and singing. I am told he listened to that last Aiel for almost an hour before destroying him. And then Tzora burned, one huge flame consuming stone and metal and flesh. There is a sheet of glass were the second greatest city in the world once stood"

So ace.

I like after the battle of Carahien when Rand wakes up and Avi and Asmo are telling him what happened. Then Asmodean starts ripping into Rand about the overuse of the OP and the consequences of taking to much and so on. He sounded like a teacher reprimanding a pupil.

On my read through of Lord of Chaos, I came across a scene I had completely forgotten about. Perrin, who has been absent for some time from the story, suddenly appears in Camelyn. He meets with Rand while Faile and Min run off together. Rand and Perrin have their meet and greet, and as Perrin is leaving, he sees Davrim Bashere standing there, arms folded, sword at his side. He turns and tells Perrin to follow and as they find a room to talk, Perrin is going over in his head how to please his new Father-in-law. Bashere sits him down and proceeds to tell him that Diera may or may not approve of their wedding and that if she doesn't, she takes Faile back to camp.

With a gleam in his eye, Bashere fingers the hilt of his sword and says, "and you...you I get to kill". It sums up the whole awsomeness of the Borderlanders that we have all known for twenty years. The glee Bashere gets from the prospect of gutting his new son-in-law is hilarious, even when you realize Perrin could crush Bashere with one hand.

Totally bad ass scene.

"His name is Padan Fain, and there are one hundred thousand gold crowns on his head."

Caraline nearly dropped her goblet. "Queens have been randsomed for less. What did he do?"

"He ravaged my home because it was my home." Rand's face was frozen, his voice ice. "He brought trollocs to kill my friends because they were my friends. He is a Darkfriend, and a dead man." Those last words came through clenched teeth. Punch splashed to the carpet as the silver goblet bent in his gloved fist.

By far one of my favorite scenes.

Ditto. Epic. Alltime Fave. Ownage of Massive Degree. Victory. FTW.

Fish

"No doubt he was one of those so proud of being able to use the Power as a weapon that he had disdained really learning the sword. Rand had not disdained. Rochaid gave a last twitch and was still, staring up at the sky. "Time to die," Rand said quietly..."

Not as showy as some of his other scenes but still something that shows what a bad*** Rand is. In fact, it is so cool that I have decided to make it my signature.

"No doubt he was one of those so proud of being able to use the Power as a weapon that he had disdained really learning the sword. Rand had not disdained. Rochaid gave a last twitch and was still, staring up at the sky. "Time to die," Rand said quietly..."

Not as showy as some of his other scenes but still something that shows what a bad*** Rand is. In fact, it is so cool that I have decided to make it my signature.

I prefer the part with Rochaid actually. He doesn't even bother with his own sword in that fight, and without hesitation, opts for the Aiel way of fighting without weapons, crushing his throat with a single blow.

I prefer the part with Rochaid actually. He doesn't even bother with his own sword in that fight, and without hesitation, opts for the Aiel way of fighting without weapons, crushing his throat with a single blow.

I like the fact that he was chasing him around planning to kill him and didn't even bother to bring a sword along with him. Also reminds me of the time he broke free from Elaida's Aes Sedai when he saw they had Min and killed a Warder with his bare hands and another with that Warder's sword in the couple of seconds before the Aes Sedai could wrap him up in the power.

Actually, one of the most awesome displays of badassery in the series that almost never gets mentioned is in aPoD, after the Bowl has been used and an exhausted Elayne realizes she cannot risk the Seanchan learning Traveling: she must unweave her gateway, a feat she's only just learned is even possible, but one she knows can easily be fatal:

There was only one way to stop it. Elayne plucked one of the discernible threads free from the weave; it wavered and flailed like a living tentacle; if fuzzed and spluttered, tiny puffs of saidar breaking off and fading away. She had not noticed that when Aviendha unmade her weave, but she had only seen the tail of that, really. "Go on," she told Nynaeve. "I'll wait for the rest until you are all out of sight."

After Aviendha and Birgitte refuse to leave her and she has begun to unweave again, the Seanchan reach the Kin's Farm and attack. Then they reach the gateway:

Abruptly, one of the soldiers was leaping into the meadow right in front of her. Birgitte's arrow punched through the clenched fist embossed on his leather breastplate. A second Seanchan soldier stumbled over the first as he fell, and Aviendha's belt-knife stabbed into his throat before he could recover.

Aviendha takes a bolt from a crossbow through the arm, and tries to find her dropped angreal. Another punches through Birgitte's thigh, but she stays on her feet. Aviendha gets pissed:

"You wish to take me?" Aviendha shouted. "Then come and dance with me!" Saidar's glow abruptly surrounded her, dim even with the angreal, and balls of fire sprang into being in front of the gateway and sprayed through again and again.

Birgitte manages to get her bow back in hand, ready to shoot again. Elayne's barely holding onto to the weave now, and pleads for them to leave again. She means to let it collapse once they've fled. They won't. Birgitte hauls Elayne to her feet, despite the crossbow bolt in her leg, and practically drags her to the horses. Birgitte leads their mounts as Elayne and Aviendha ride backwards: Elayne so she can hold the weave and Aviendha so she can see her targets. As they flee, Aviendha loses saidar, and Seanchan pour through the gateway.

Finally, as they're almost out of sight, a sul'dam slams a shield onto Elayne...and the weave detonates like a miniature nuke. The Seanchan are just gone, Elayne's horse was struck dead, Birgitte had to put Aviendha's down with a knife because its spine had been snapped, and all three of them are covered in blood, with a fresh set of wounds, clothes half-shredded, unable to stand without assistance from the others.

Then Aviendha casually mentions that she'd practiced for ages on much simpler weaves before getting it right, and, oh, BTW, she could have been burnt-out along with Elayne and she'd known it the whole time and had stayed anyway. Elayne decides on the instant that they will become first-sisters, and as they wait for help, also decides, while thinking about all the stories she's heard, that:

...it was clear that she would never make a hero.

Kick. Ass.

Hmm... a lot of my favourite scenes are the smaller ones of the characters doing their not-so-important tasks, rather than the huge iconic moments. They're the best ways to get to know the characters and get inside their thoughts and feelings, and usually they're the funniest scenes too.

1. Rand, Hurin and Loial meet Selene in the Parallel World (TGH)

I just really liked the eerie atmosphere of the world in which the trollocs won. It was such an empty dystopian place, and Lanfear-as-Selene fit the bad vibrations perfectly. The little touches, from Loial's reaction to touching the tree, even to the flat water that the horses didn't want to touch, was just so spooky. Also, it was set back before Rand lost his innocence and was quite so steely.

2. Elayne slaps Egwene (TDR)

It's just so rare to see any character who is acting childishly get their comeuppance, or have one of their friends have the nerve to tell them to knock it off. Awesome.

3. Tam and Cadsuance (TGS)

Again, I almost cheered when Tam calmly stood up to Cadsuane's bullying with the power. Not that I don't like the character, but it was so good to see someone calling out Aes Sedai "leadership" tactics for what they are: the biggest bully in the playground flexing their muscles.

4. Sulin and her toh (TLoC)

Seeing Sulin trying to meet her toh by dressing up in servant's livery was pretty funny. Also, it was kind of nice to see Rand looking out for her - it was good to see that he could forge a strong bond with someone through companionship, especially when Sulin called him her first-brother. Kind of a shame that their friendship seems to have petered out.

I love the scene in EotW when Rand and Mat are in some village and a guy comes up to the table and Mat Snarles Darkfriend at him. I can just imagine them in this unknown town alone and scared and pissed.

That reminds me of this one:

One minute Lan was in the doorway, the next he was at the bedside, as if he had not bothered with the

intervening space. His hand caught Mat's wrist, stopping the slash as if it had struck stone. Still Mat held

himself in that tight ball. Only the hand with the dagger tried to move, straining against the Warder's implacable

grip. Mat's eyes never left Moiraine, and they burned with hate.

I'm just rethinking my answer as I'm reading Lord of Chaos:

•  
  • Nynaeve healing Siuan: this is a huge one; I keep thinking of how I would direct it (as a film), mostly Siuan's reaction at how she can touch saidar again. Nynaeve is one of my favorite characters, and this scene is so huge in the theme of loss and pain that goes throughout the books (the Aiel, stilling, gentling, Egwene's beatings, Galina's humiliation).
  • Aviendha's reunion with Elayne, and revealing what she did with Rand: "You may use the stick, or the knife..."

One minute Lan was in the doorway, the next he was at the bedside, as if he had not bothered with the

intervening space. His hand caught Mat's wrist, stopping the slash as if it had struck stone. Still Mat held

himself in that tight ball. Only the hand with the dagger tried to move, straining against the Warder's implacable

grip. Mat's eyes never left Moiraine, and they burned with hate.

I love that line.. "as if he had not bothered with the intervening space".

I've always kind of liked Tuon's blurbs to Mat that hit closely to Mat's life

"Toy, Toy," . . . "How many children/s tales do you believe? do ou believe that if you sleep on Old Hobs Hill under a full Moon, the snakes will give true answers to three questions, or that foxes steal people's skins and take the hnourishment from food so you can starve to death while eating your fill?[KoD ch 10]

Archived