DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Lesser-Known ''Fave Scenes''

The Fisher King

There have been a million Topics here over the years talking about ''All-Time Favorite Scenes'' and while I never get tired of reading other's takes on classic scenes, I thought it might be fun to put a slightly new twist on a familiar subject.

There are many awesome scenes in WOT and many of us share similar fave: Dumai's Wells, The Cleansing, Moiraine telling the Manatheren story in TEOTW, Mat's duel with Couladin, the ''Deathgates'' Mat finally reading Moiraine's letter etc, etc, etc...

All epic moments, but, how about...if we share some parts that maybe have always been our own personal fave scenes that are not really among the ''usual'' fave parts that get mentioned? Know what I mean? In other words, lets try to avoid Dumai's Wells or the like.

I'll start. Some of my favorite ''lesser-mentioned/less popular'' fave WOT scenes include:

1 When Morgase sees Perrin's banners and flags and just can't help but freaking out, lol.

2 Mat's conversation with a Seanchan Military Officer (can't remember which book) ... the Seanchan Officer appraises Mat favorably and tried to recruit him to the Seanchan Army...instead of panicking, Mat, as usual, charms her. He tells her ''I'd make a terrible soldier'' and she ends up laughing at his joke, agreeing, and being thouroughly charmed by our favorite rascal.

3 Cadsuane (in book 7, i THINK) basically (in not so many words) telling one of the Sea Folks that she would Kick Her A$$ if she ever touched her again, lol.

4 Tallanvor and Morgase when they finally give in and...well...YOU KNOW.

Fish

Fish my friend you never cease to come up with awesome topics. Nice one dude!

One of my less controversial favorite scenes was in TGS when we saw Rand from Ituraldes PoV. It might be just me, but even though KoD had plenty of Rand I felt like there was still a long time til we saw Rand again, might sound sad but I think I missed him hahaha. Obviously that had to do with the tragedies of the time and whatnot, but while I thought Rands PoV was awesome all the way through TGS, us seeing him through other peoples eyes was very, very interesting. I love TGS for that. The first PoV Rand had was ok, but when we saw him from Ituraldes PoV I got some fairly strong "Look, its Rand!" vibes from it. Ituraldes PoV showed him to be a very respectful leader and the way his PoV showed the Ta'veren effect Rand had was awesome, that the force is still as strong as ever... "There was a force to this al'Thor." Yes Ituralde, I felt it myself when I read it. And the reminder and the portrayal of that so early in TGS gave me a lot of reassurance about the book still feeling like a Wheel of Time book.

Drekka, you are way, way too nice and I appreciate it sincerely. Topics are always Hit and Miss. I love sooooo many others topics here too. Really, I just like talking about this series with others here where folks are so nice - and FUNNY! ... I have learned SO MUCH about this series just by reading things here ... I have been lucky enough to make some actual friends from here and I will never forget the role this board played for me during some tough times - like when my mom died suddenly not too long back...ok, ENOUGH of THAT, LOL!!! ;) ............................. I really enjoyed seeing through Rodel's eyes when he met Rand too.

Another more ''subtle'' WOT secene I have always liked veeeery much was in KOD when we have ''Roundtable Discussuon'' between Rand, Verin, Cadsuane, Min, Nynaeve and Logain...............at first glance, it was sorta a unremarkable scene..............reread it though.............you get ALOT of deep insight into EVERY one of those characters (especially Logain and Taim, even thought that was kinda a Infodump and Taim wasn't even THERE, lol) ...........I swear, Jordan was just a MASTER at pulling off this kind of scene.....

Fish

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fish my friend you never cease to come up with awesome topics. Nice one dude!

Drekka, you are way, way too nice and I appreciate it sincerely. Topics are always Hit and Miss.

Fish

When I first started lurking here I was seeing all these topics, and kind thinking 'what gives with this guy' (I think there were some 'misses' there lol). But then I found that more likely than not the topics I actually posted in were started by The Fisher King and it was really interesting reading to hear people chime in with their favorites. Then came the 'name that paragraph' thread that got 60+ pages of replies in its 3 weeks of existence before getting nuked by the new board and I found myself firmly in the 'these topics are great' camp :biggrin: Keep it up man.

One other scene I really liked was Rand in Barthanes' Manor with all the nobles and him being the talk of the town. He didn't have a clue what he was doing and still had everyone fooled thinking every mysterious misstep was some subtle innuendo. Then he sees Thom and the gleeman thinks Rand needs his help with the great game, and Rand says 'No, I just needed to get away from those women'

Funny how he arrives with Ingtar (Darkfriend) and Verin (Black Ajah) to Barthanes' (Darkfriend) party searching for Fain (worse than Darkfriend)

One of my favorite parts has always been right after Rand is bonded to Elayne Min and Avi and Aviendha says "you do love me" and the whole "veins of gold" thing. Don't know why, but I thought that was well done.

I also really liked Nynaeve healing Logain and the AS trying to make her mad afterward, and especially liked Nynaeve finally submitting to saidar.

Have to think on some others, but there are a few rarely mentioned scenes that I really enjoyed.

I love the very last scene of EotW. Rand is telling Egwene that he'll never channel again, but he'll never go home again either.

Cut to Moiraine eavesdropping on them. She smiles to herself and says "The Prophecies will be fulfilled. The Dragon is reborn"

This actually rocked my world the first time I read it years and years ago. I hadn't realised Rand was the Dragon Reborn until that moment.

It still sends shivers down my spine.

Also.. The Prologue of EotW but maybe that's too obvious for this thread.

SAME. HERE.

that line hooked me to the series

Sid - thanks so much. Very kind. My favorite things is to hear others takes on this series I love so much. Which is why most of my topics end with ''What do YOU think???'' lol ;)

I hate it when I can't reply to every single person's post in my topic, because I really appreciate every person who makes the effort to respond. Every one gets read though.

Another one of my ''Not So Well-Known'' scenes that I have always loved was Moiraine's quiet visit to that cabin in TGH. The cabin was owned by two elderly Aes Sedai. I can't remember their names :(

Also, as mentioned above: I also loved Rand at Barhtanes' party, LOL!!!

Fish

One of my favorites is from LoC: Heading South. Its the scene where Mat adopts Olver into the Band. Its right after a Shaido attack, and Mat is having his leg stiched by Nerim. Olver shows Mat his collection, made up of things only a boy would keep, and Mat keeps trying to act tough in front of the boy. I love the descriptions RJ used to describe the contents of the bag, which things were important to Olver and which were not. This scene is exactly what I love about WOT, these small human moments woven into this epic story. On one of my rereads I noticed that RJ had a similar scene with Mat in tDR when he woke up in the White Towere after being healed. RJ lists Mat's posessions many of which are like Olver's. It also contains a great line from Nerim "As my Lord says, my Lords leg is not a side of beef. Thank you, my Lord, for instructing me." Its just perfect.

One of my favorite parts has always been right after Rand is bonded to Elayne Min and Avi and Aviendha says "you do love me" and the whole "veins of gold" thing. Don't know why, but I thought that was well done.

I also really liked Nynaeve healing Logain and the AS trying to make her mad afterward, and especially liked Nynaeve finally submitting to saidar.

Have to think on some others, but there are a few rarely mentioned scenes that I really enjoyed.

sdelu: i LOVE how the reference earlier in the series you mention about ''Veins of Gold'' got paid off with the name of the last chapter in TGS.

Fish

One of my favorites is from LoC: Heading South. Its the scene where Mat adopts Olver into the Band. Its right after a Shaido attack, and Mat is having his leg stiched by Nerim. Olver shows Mat his collection, made up of things only a boy would keep, and Mat keeps trying to act tough in front of the boy. I love the descriptions RJ used to describe the contents of the bag, which things were important to Olver and which were not. This scene is exactly what I love about WOT, these small human moments woven into this epic story. On one of my rereads I noticed that RJ had a similar scene with Mat in tDR when he woke up in the White Towere after being healed. RJ lists Mat's posessions many of which are like Olver's. It also contains a great line from Nerim "As my Lord says, my Lords leg is not a side of beef. Thank you, my Lord, for instructing me." Its just perfect.

I second this as one the absolute best scenes in the entire series.

I love the very last scene of EotW. Rand is telling Egwene that he'll never channel again, but he'll never go home again either.

Cut to Moiraine eavesdropping on them. She smiles to herself and says "The Prophecies will be fulfilled. The Dragon is reborn"

This actually rocked my world the first time I read it years and years ago. I hadn't realised Rand was the Dragon Reborn until that moment.

It still sends shivers down my spine.

Also.. The Prologue of EotW but maybe that's too obvious for this thread.

SAME. HERE.

that line hooked me to the series

Double Same Here.

Fish

Wait... morgase and Tallavnor got it on? HOW DID I MISS THIS OMG!!!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT!!!!

It was early in POD. It was almost entirely off-screen, and the lead-up to it was about 3 sentences long.

My favorites (in no particular order:

Narishma FINALLY standing up to Merise and delivering his speech to the rebel AS. "Remember the name. Eben Hopwil." If other POVs are anything to go by, she had him completely whipped before that.

Mat's very first scene involving the "ghost hounds" which were actually the Luhanns' dogs coated in flour. They ran straight home. He spent the rest of Winternight avoiding both of them. It still amuses me.

Davram Bashere's story about Muad Cheade, the guy who demanded funerals for 23 oak trees.

Morr's death.

The conversation in EOTW between Lan and Moiraine where they first mention the now-infamous lake incident. I couldn't buy it when I read EOTW, but after seeing Lan in later books, I can definitely see him throwing her into a lake. I know it's in NS, but I never got around to reading it.

KefkaP...Mat's early ''Ghost Hound'' 'Prank' was HYSTERICAL!!! :)

Fish

Oh so very many...

Perrin forming an alliance with the Seanchan, impressing the banner-general.

Tuan discovering Mat was actually quite good at stones, and later wondering just who on earth is this guy...

shoot, every few chapters there's a scene that rocks.

Good Ones, A2!!!

Fish

Slightly related to the columns in Rhuidean; the conversation Rand and Mat have right before Rand goes inside. It's one of the earliest Mat PoVs we get, and it's also the last one of the "old" Mat. Them being friends, joking, having fun at each other's expense... despite the weight on both their shoulders.

Good Stuff!!!

Fish

Almost all of the internal dialogue between Rand and Lews Therin with lines like ""I would not mind you in my head," Lews Therin said, sounding almost sane, "if you were not so clearly mad."

Back story on Manetheren"“Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever.”"

In addition to the Rhuidean columns scene all the time in the waste during TSR is pretty classic.

Casuane and the "well" trick in Far Madding. Damer claiming "Not so much a flaw as a barn door, seems to me"

“I am the storm,” he whispered—a shout in his ears, a roar—and he channeled." Rand's Illian campaign against the Seanchan “Nobody stands nose-to-nose with the Dragon Reborn,” Rand growled. “The Forsaken could tell him that, whoever he is. Right, Flinn? Dashiva?” Flinn nodded uncertainly. Dashiva flinched. “You think I can’t surprise him, Bashere? Watch!” Pulling the long bundle loose, he stripped away the cloth covering, and Rand heard gasps as raindrops glistened on a sword seemingly made of crystal. The Sword That Is Not a Sword. “Let’s see if he’s surprised by Callandor in the hands of the Dragon Reborn, Bashere.” and Bashere promptly having to crack his scalp open...

I could go on and on...crazy how much there is when you really start trying to think back.

Nice one for the reminder on the Aviendha thing, I forgot about that. I think the veins of gold thing is one of my favorite things about the Power considering the implications it had in TGS and how I think it proved Lewis was Rand all along. In my eyes Rand has had access to all of Lews Therins memories for a while and he just needs his train of thought to sort of... syncrhonise... on topics just as it does in normal thought. I imagined that because Rand always painted Lews Therin with the madness brush, thats why Lewis always rants about the madness and the killing and the breaking and all the destruction and whatnot. Over time Rand became familiar with the voice and began to learn from it, and it seems more sane because he is using the memories like normal thoughts, even though he still thinks its the madman and the killer, and eventually when he realized he fought for love, for the Veins of Gold of the Warder bond, this synchronized with Lews Therins memories of loving Ilyena (synchronising these thoughts with Veins of Gold I think is a nice indicator that Lewis and Ily were bonded) reminds Rand that Lews isnt just a dead madman, has the "Wait, its been me all this time, IM NOT MAD! I CAN LOVE!" and is back as the New Old Human Rand, a Rand with the Heroics of Fires of Heaven, the knowledge of the Age of Legends, and a timeless feel to match any Forsaken.

Oops. Less controversial! What are you guys and gals playing at?!?!

*cough*

Something I dont see mentioned often is the time in TGS... ah let me quote some stuff from TGS...

Hardback p360, just after Mins almost-death-by-Kinslayer Reborn

"You are exiled from my sight, Cadsuane," he said softly. "If I see your face again after tonight, I will kill you."!

p482

"He could strike them where they didnt expect it while their eyes were on Lan.

"Yes," Rand said thoughtfully, "His death could serve me well indeed."

I cant find the others, but the ones like where Nynaeve says "Oh Rand this hardness will kill you" and Rand responds with something like "I fail to understand why you think Im such am imbecile that I dont see something so obvious. Yes Nynaeve, this hardness will kill me." and "Do you think that I can kill you?" When I first read TGS I felt like I had been waiting for these scenes, for Rand to be seriously be pushed over the edge big time, since Lord of Chaos. I know it gets really dark with his almost eagerness to kill women, as if proving to himself that he was willing and capable, but the cold rage was there in Lord of Chaos before the connection to Moridin and seeing it begin to apply in Moridin form, in my eyes, gave the hardness a sense of ultimacy, in my oppinion Dark Rand is the most satisfying part of his arc, easily more satisfying the Heroic Rand in FoH and LoC with the wrath and rage. Dark Rand reminds me of Dexter, and the Sylar-Nathan thing in late Heroes, and the connection between Rand and Moridin made them feel somewhat like Jacob and John Locke in Lost

P.S. I would love it if Graendal pinned the name Kinslayer Reborn on Rand, and the only way Rand sees an end to it was for the world to see him finally die.

3 Cadsuane (in book 7, i THINK) basically (in not so many words) telling one of the Sea Folks that she would Kick Her A$$ if she ever touched her again, lol.

This is one of my favourites as well--its when I stopped hatin' and learned to love the Cadsuane.

Other than that my all time favourite minor scenes are...

1. Verin's prologue scene from tPoD. I mean come on! "Verin put on a warm smile. A fellow had once told her that her smile made him think of his dear mother. She hoped he had not been lying about that, at least. He had tried to slide a dagger between her ribs a little later, and her smile had been the last thing he ever saw."

2. When Perrin tells the wolves that the Aes Sedai have kidnapped Rand.

Perrin hesitated before answering. He had dreaded this. He felt about the wolves as he did about Two Rivers people. They have caged Shadowkiller, he thought at last. That was what the wolves called Rand, but he had no idea whether they considered Rand important.

The shock filling his mind was answer enough, but howls filled the night, near and far, howls filled with

anger and fear. In the camp horses whinnied fearfully, stamping their hooves as they shied against the picket ropes. Men ran to calm them, and others to peer into the darkness as if expecting a huge pack to come after the mounts.

We come, Half Tail replied at last. Only that, and then others answered, packs Perrin had spoken to and packs that had listened silently to the two-legs who could speak as the wolves did. We come. No more.

Nice one for the reminder on the Aviendha thing, I forgot about that. I think the veins of gold thing is one of my favorite things about the Power considering the implications it had in TGS and how I think it proved Lewis was Rand all along. In my eyes Rand has had access to all of Lews Therins memories for a while and he just needs his train of thought to sort of... syncrhonise... on topics just as it does in normal thought. I imagined that because Rand always painted Lews Therin with the madness brush, thats why Lewis always rants about the madness and the killing and the breaking and all the destruction and whatnot. Over time Rand became familiar with the voice and began to learn from it, and it seems more sane because he is using the memories like normal thoughts, even though he still thinks its the madman and the killer, and eventually when he realized he fought for love, for the Veins of Gold of the Warder bond, this synchronized with Lews Therins memories of loving Ilyena (synchronising these thoughts with Veins of Gold I think is a nice indicator that Lewis and Ily were bonded) reminds Rand that Lews isnt just a dead madman, has the "Wait, its been me all this time, IM NOT MAD! I CAN LOVE!" and is back as the New Old Human Rand, a Rand with the Heroics of Fires of Heaven, the knowledge of the Age of Legends, and a timeless feel to match any Forsaken.

I believe the warder bond is something fairly recent. The Forsaken express surprise @ "savages" in this age discovering new things with the power.

I believe the warder bond is something fairly recent. The Forsaken express surprise @ "savages" in this age discovering new things with the power.

Yes!!! This!!! ^^^

Fish

Oh no! Cant believe I forgot about that. Oops

Now that we're on about that, Moridins rage at seeing Aviendha unravel a gateway, rage at a Third Ager discovering this when the AoLers who had a right to such knowledge didnt know of it... Awesome

Dude, Moridin is Taim - Its sooooooooo obvious! Just get over it!

:wink::tongue:

Fish

Oh no! Cant believe I forgot about that. Oops

Now that we're on about that, Moridins rage at seeing Aviendha unravel a gateway, rage at a Third Ager discovering this when the AoLers who had a right to such knowledge didnt know of it... Awesome

Dude, Moridin is Taim - Its sooooooooo obvious! Just get over it!

:wink::tongue:

Fish

Classic hahahaha :biggrin:

I have heard quite a few others say it, but I have to say it again, the forge scene with Perrin in The Dragon Reborn. Probably one of Jordan's best "just because" scenes.

I loved when the maiden's were harrassing Rand about having no sense of humor at all, and he wheeled around and told a farmboy joke that completely went over thier heads. If I remember right, that's one of the last scenes we actually have of Rand before the kidnapping and beatings really snuffed out the last trace of his boyhood and he started his real downward spiral.

Love the scene where Rand uses balefire, and Cadsuane just goes up to him and smacks him in the face. No Aes Sedai bluff and bluster, just a good ol smack in the face.

After reading The Gathering Storm, literally any scene with Verin in it is awsome to read. They just all take on a new dimension and you can imagine all the stuff going on behind her veneer of Brown flightiness.

I also really liked the scene with Nyn healing Suian and Leane. Proved that yes, characters in Randland are capable of simple, unconditional gratitude *gasp!*

Though they probably do qualify as bigger scenes, I agree with everyone who mentioned the rings expirience in The Shadow Rising. Those chapters and the scenes about the Battle of Emond's Field are what make The Shadow Rising my favorite WoT book. I think so many of us were wondering about the AoL going into the fourth book, and Jordan balanced perfectly all the different aspects of saying enough, but not too much. Of teasing just enough, but not too much. In just a few chapters he showed us pretty much everything we needed to know about the AoL. And seeing the origins of not just Lanfear but also the Aiel(bombshell!) was cool too. Plus, beyond that, I just consider these scenes, and a lot of book 4, to be Jordan's best writing in general.

Crimsonthorn. Vandene mourning over Adeleas corpse, and her warder keeping the door. It chills me.

Tuon and Rand whime they are meeting in tGS, and the cross PoV (and also the discussion about Mat)

Verin discovering Siuan and Moiraine discovered the Dragon Reborn.

Mistress Al'Vere seeing three aiels and an Ogier in her house, calm and composed, accepting their gifts (coming from the fifth in Tear), while Bran is nearly collapsing.

"The fifth, I give you" before the attack on Cairhien IIRC.

Tuon comparing Mat to an onion, with too much layers on it. Anf the whole a lion in the plain grass. A cluster of Rosebud and the whole courting of Tuon. It seems people don't like this books, but it had a good feeling to me. Not the urge of the LB we have from Rand, or the "I-shall-save-my-wife" of Perrin.

After the E, A and M confront rand:

"Nynaeve took a grip on her braid with both hands and gave it a steady pull, breathing heavily through her nose. Lan had begun an intense

study of the contents of his pipe's bowl."

Perring writing the letter to Faile before the battle of Emonds Field. I´m a dude, but that scene... really gets to me.

This is one of my favourites as well--its when I stopped hatin' and learned to love the Cadsuane.

Other than that my all time favourite minor scenes are...

1. Verin's prologue scene from tPoD. I mean come on! "Verin put on a warm smile. A fellow had once told her that her smile made him think of his dear mother. She hoped he had not been lying about that, at least. He had tried to slide a dagger between her ribs a little later, and her smile had been the last thing he ever saw."

2. When Perrin tells the wolves that the Aes Sedai have kidnapped Rand.

Perrin hesitated before answering. He had dreaded this. He felt about the wolves as he did about Two Rivers people. They have caged Shadowkiller, he thought at last. That was what the wolves called Rand, but he had no idea whether they considered Rand important.

The shock filling his mind was answer enough, but howls filled the night, near and far, howls filled with

anger and fear. In the camp horses whinnied fearfully, stamping their hooves as they shied against the picket ropes. Men ran to calm them, and others to peer into the darkness as if expecting a huge pack to come after the mounts.

We come, Half Tail replied at last. Only that, and then others answered, packs Perrin had spoken to and packs that had listened silently to the two-legs who could speak as the wolves did. We come. No more.

This indeed was classic Verin. Her smiles was the last thing he saw...Classic!!!

Fish

Archived