DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Hall of Mourning is a good name for the home of the Warriors of Final Regret." 

Have to agree with you there.

But we have 'halls of mourning' instead of 'Hall(s) of Mourning' and that small difference has always made me wander.

(and Warriors of Final Regret - what the heck could that mean?)

Oh well, rafo I guess. Thanks again

Warriors of Final Regret - what the heck could that mean?

Oh, yeah. I'm wondering whether this is actually based in some background information we're not privy to, or simply a phrase meant to sound nice. What about being 'near ancient'? Who are the 'truly' ancient?

Regarding "The Last that could be Done" in TGS:

Rand raised a hand and, filled with the power he did not understand, wove a single weave. A bar of pure white light, a cleansing fire, burst from his hand and struck Semirhage in the chest. She flashed and vanished, leaving a faint afterimage to Rand's vision. Her bracelet dropped to the floor.

Elza ran toward the door. She vanished before another bar of light, her entire figure becoming light for a moment. Her bracelet dropped to the floor, as well, the women who had held them burned completely from the Pattern.

Semirhage forces Rand to strangle Min. Rand balefires Semirhage and Elza. How strong was Rand's BF? Wasn't it strong enough to erase 10 seconds or 20 seconds of the pattern thread? Shouldn't Rand have gone back to pre-strangulation of Min? Or go back before this moment "Something snapped inside of him. He grew cold; then that coldness vanished, and he could feel nothing. No emotion. No anger."?

My simple question is...What's up with Tam in TofM?

Currently re-reading TofM before January 8 and I've come across a nagging problem that I hope you might be able to shed some light on: there seems to me to be two Tams in this book....

Ch 1 Perrin sends the mercenaries down the line to find Tam and tell him to take them on for meals.

Ch 6 Tam tells Perrin that the lads put a lot of stock in the wolfshead banner.

Ch 13 Tam walks out of the Stone and hugs it out with Rand. Says it's been three days, of course I've met Min.

Ch 16 Faile asks Tam about Shanna'har

Ch 21 Tam asks Perrin about the refugees who do not want to use the gateways to travel back to their respective homes.

Ch 25 "Rand had sent his father-along with one of the Asha'man- to the Two Rivers to prepare and gather them for the Last Battle."

That's where I stopped and came here to post this. What gives? Is one of these Tams a baddie in disguise? Did I miss something somewhere? Thoughts?

@ Theodril

Balefire creates paradoxes each time it's used.  The Pattern is forced to make sense of them the best it can.  Apparently the only memories it tries to affect are those of people who die as a result of the balefired entity's actions.  Asmo, Mat, and Avi cannot remember dying, but several others remember seeing them dead or even seeing them die.

Rand strangled Min.  After the balefire is used, she still has marks on her neck, which is a correct.  Rand wasn't balefired so the things he did, thought, felt, and his memories of that time don't change.  The effect on his mind would remain.  Had Elza or Semi used the power to hurt Min in that time, and then got balefired, the hurts would have vanished but Min would still remember them happening.

@Paoli

Tam is not a Forsaken in disguise, his character is all over the place because the timeline of ToM is all over the place.  Perrin's storyline is actually taking place much earlier than Rand's in that book.  In Chapter 30, Perrin finally catches up... to where Rand was at the end of TGS, even though both of their stories are being told throughout the first half of ToM.  It stems from a creative decision on where to split AMoL that many don't agree with, and many don't seem to mind.  I think people know by now what I think of it.

Can an OP channeler weave flows of air to push/throw mat back?  ie: create a gale wind, etc., or is that gale wind considered to be weaves of the one power, and so would not affect him?

As long as you didn't need weaves to hold the wind together, sure.

Doubt you would be able to focus it solely on Mat without those weaves holding it together though.

A strong Seafolk Windfinder could most likely produce a gale in Mat's general area for example. That would be over a pretty large area though.

Here's my example that made me wonder:

Mat is in a hallway, and comes upon a Black Sister, and she channels a strong gust of air down the hallways at Mat.  We know that no larger weather would be affected, only her weave is sustaining it.  HOWEVER, it is also true that this wind would be picking up things and blowing them at Mat.  So it is creating a physical force (wind), rather than just being weaves of air.  But this air would stop blowing once she stops channeling.  This is similar to Aviendha channeling the river to stop the Fire in tGS, I think.  She is using weaving of Water, and Air, etc, to move the water in the river, which wouldn't continue to happen without her channeling, and I think we all know doing so would get Mat soaking wet if here were to be the target of said channeling.  Just like throwing a rock (or horse dung) can hit Mat, wouldn't channeling a strong Wind at him be just moving lots of air molecules at high speed and pressure?  But at the same time, to sustain a wind indoors like that, the flows would have to be pretty pervasive throughout that blowing wind, I'd think, and so I just don't know.  Would this gust of wind throw Mat back?

the flows would have to be pretty pervasive throughout that blowing wind, I'd think, and so I just don't know.  Would this gust of wind throw Mat back?

As you say, it depends on how she does it. If the wind requires flows of air to guide it along, then it would dissipate upon reaching him. If the sister simply weaves a giant fan made of air, then no, Mat would have to run into it to make it stop (which could prove difficult, assuming it blows hard enough).

What would happen to some one born with the spark that grew up and never left Far Madden. Would it still manifest late in life. Would they still get the sickness early and die from never touching it.

The sickness, no, that's from touching the Source without guidence. My guess is that they'd go through the regular procedure the moment they left Far Madding, though.

How does Moridin enter the tower of Ghenjei?

If he went in that way, it was likely by saying the necessary words and drawing a triangle doorway with a bronze knife.  If he went to that dimension some other way, there's no way to know.

The Tower of Ghenji is just another reality, like those in the portal stones, right? Wouldn't a Gateway get you there? A ter'angreal like the doorframes or the Tower would be needed for those who can't channel or don't have the right Talent, but someone with sufficient knowledge should be able to get there with a modified Gateway. Otherwise, how were these other worlds discovered in the first place?

Technically, a gateway should take you to Sindhol. Though, in practicality, it may not be possible because of the Power requirements.

www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=6#19

Week 19 Question

How far can a channeler Travel with the One Power? I know they can Travel anywhere on the globe, and enter Tel'aran'rhiod through a slightly different weave, but is it possible to Travel to other planets, or even planets in other galaxies?

Robert Jordan

Travel to other planets within the solar system would require a circle of fairly strong channelers, though not necessarily as many as thirteen, depending on exactly how far out they wanted to go. Travel to a planet in another solar system would require a rather large circle (of the maximum possible size) of very strong channelers, and there would a limit on how far they could go in one jump. They could planet-hop, of course. Travel to another galaxy would be beyond them even if they began on the planet in this galaxy nearest the target galaxy.

It's likely same applies to Mirror Worlds or Parallel Worlds but it would obviously take huge amounts of Power. I'm guessing Choedan Kal level of Power. So Moridin probably used the Tower of Genjei the same way Mat did but exited by the doorway in Tear as Finnssss said.

As for how they were discovered, they were not discovered by humans. Finn made the portals per Birgitte in ToM.

Edited by Cem Önal

Can an OP channeler weave flows of air to push/throw mat back?  ie: create a gale wind, etc., or is that gale wind considered to be weaves of the one power, and so would not affect him?

To push/throw someone wearing the original medallion with the One Power, these would be the requirements::

-some moveable object being in between the channeler and the person

-the weave being strong enough to move both the object and the person

-the channeler aiming the weave toward the object so that the object hits the person

Edit::  Someone wearing one of the copies would probably be able to be pushed/thrown with the One Power.

Edited by mb

What would happen to some one born with the spark that grew up and never left Far Madden. Would it still manifest late in life. Would they still get the sickness early and die from never touching it.

They do not get the sickness from not touching the Power they get it from touching it without training. Look at it this way if you go to a gym and start lifting weights with no instructions chances are you will hurt yourself as you are using your body the wrong way, the same thing. I do assume though that if a 50 year old man who is a sparker who had lived in Far Madding his entire life suddenly up and left he would start channeling even if he is far part the age of manifestation, but I am just guessing here, it can be that if someone is prevented from awakening their abilities in the time frame a sparker would manifest that the trait would go back to dormant and would need to be brought out like with a learner.

Do anyone know how the belled braids that people in Arafel wear actually look like?

Another question on Callandor...

We know that the sword can only be used safely if it's in a circle with two women and one of the women guides the circle. But by safely do they mean just that since the male channeler isn't controlling the circle it doesn't matter if he goes nuts as he's not weaving, or does it actually mean the taint isn't magnified in the man?

Additionally, do we know yet if Callandor still needs to be wielded in a circle - as I understand it at the moment the only reason (that we know now - there is the as yet unknown second flaw) for the circle is to stop the magnification of the taint, so if the taint has gone what is the circle needed for?

Thanks.