DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

(I'm nearly finished with a reread and have a bunch of small little questions.  I've been reading/discussing WoT for a long time -- although not recently -- so I'm pretty sure some of these aren't quite run-of-the-mill, but I'm also way out of practice at following WoT discussions.  So here goes with the first of the questions, then I'll spew the remainder in separate replies.  :-) )

Some of the early WoT glossaries say that the Keeper of the Chronicles position is chosen by the Hall.  Yet by TFoH Elaida's certainly picking her own Keeper, as does Egwene in LoC (and TGS, for that matter).  Is this/was this a gaffe?  (I'm reading the ebook versions, if it matters.)

The letter Rand hands to Mat, LoC chapter 33 "Courage to Strengthen", that's to be given to Thom, has a spreading-tree seal on it.  The letter Moiraine gave to Rand in TFoH, to be given to Thom, had a Great Serpent seal on it.  Are these two different letters, and if so, do we know the contents of the spreading-tree sealed letter?  (Note that the letter mentioned in Thom's hands in LoC has a blue seal, the same color as the TFoH letter's seal.)

In LoC chapter 38 "A Sudden Chill", Nicola sees the ta'veren glow around Mat.  Anaiya tells her, "You've just uncovered your first Talent."  Yet earlier in chapter 15 "Dreams and Nightmares" Anaiya heard Nicola make her first Foretelling, and seemed pretty clearly to recognize it as possibly being that, judging by her reaction in the post-bubble-of-evil aftermath.  How could glow-seeing be her first Talent, then?  Perhaps a gaffe?

Shalon notes to herself in WH chapter 23 that "seeing a sail spread on the yardarm did not teach you how to set a sail much less make one" -- referring to seeing the completed weave for Traveling not revealing how to Travel.  Yet in TPod Aviendha and Elayne both unweave their Traveling weaves so that the Seanchan cannot gain Traveling from them.  If it's the case that the residues of a weave appear similar to those of a completed weave, why wouldn't the Seanchan gain just as little from possibly seeing those completed weave residues as Shalon did from seeing the weave fully completed?  Is this a deficiency in Sea Folk knowledge of channeling?  Or was it simply an abundance of caution on the parts of Aviendha and Elayne?

(This one might be approaching non-simple, please redirect me to a new post elsewhere if necessary.  :-) )

Question: Upto and including ToM, how much do the Ashaman know about TAR as a group? Obviously Taim knows enough to use a Dreamspike, but have they officially been taught anything? Reason I'm asking. The DS has not been disabled when Rand sends Naeff. BUt it is possible that even if Taim has been beaten, Ashaman loyalists may not even know about the existence of TAR, let alone how to reach and disable a DS. The bonded AS know nothing about TAR except vague rumours *they are not Blacks and they're from Elaida. Pevara & Co also know zilch.

Have we ever learned anything more about Vora than the single one-sentence mention of her in TGS?  I haven't read any of the AMoL spoilers to know if anything's been revealed there or not; the reference seemed casual enough I'd expect to hear no more about her, except maybe in Q&A sessions, wherefore this post.

Rand's channeling at the end of TGS was surely powerful enough to be felt across the world by any male channeler, since he says he's holding more of the Power than even when he cleansed saidin.  Why didn't anyone onscreen in ToM take note of it?  Or did I just miss when it happened?  (I'm still rereading ToM right now.)

Rand's channeling at the end of TGS was surely powerful enough to be felt across the world by any male channeler, since he says he's holding more of the Power than even when he cleansed saidin.  Why didn't anyone onscreen in ToM take note of it?  Or did I just miss when it happened?  (I'm still rereading ToM right now.)

He's not holding THAT much power, not even close. He level an entire city with the amount he used at SL, not just a single mansion.

Edited by Finnssss

@ Sharaman

I'd be very surprised if Taim passed any TAR knowledge on. Maaaybee a little to one trusted lieutenant, but I doubt it. We don't know for sure though.

As far as the dreamspike goes, I suspect that Moridin will be keeping a close eye on it, he seemed quite possessive over both of them when talking to Graendal.

@ Waldo

Suffa - imagine lying across a horse on your stomach, face down

balescream - I don't recall any reference to how far a balescream reaches. I would imagine it is all to do with how strong your balefire was in the first place.

He's not holding THAT much power, not even close. He level an entire city with the amount he used at SL, not just a single mansion.

Maybe you've got the wrong scene, but during VoG, Rand specifically says he was holding as much power as he held when created Dragonmount as LTT, and when he cleansed the source. Then he pulls more.

In answer to the question, I find it weird as well. We don't see much of Narishma and Flinn during the book, but Androl, and those with him, should have comented on it at one point.

Maybe you've got the wrong scene, but during VoG, Rand specifically says he was holding as much power as he held when created Dragonmount as LTT, and when he cleansed the source. Then he pulls more.

In answer to the question, I find it weird as well. We don't see much of Narishma and Flinn during the book, but Androl, and those with him, should have comented on it at one point.

the key would be holding, if he was weaving with it, then he would have been sensed, but since we was just holding it a person would need to be much closer to sense it.

Waldo, it's generally customary to make a list of your questions, and put them all into one post, instead of posting multiples.

Sorry, misjudged the etiquette for this thread.  :-(  I guess I'm too used to actual conversation threads on other comment/post platforms, where you'd probably want to split out responses to separate topics.

Yes, I meant VoG specifically, probably should have been clearer about that.

the key would be holding, if he was weaving with it, then he would have been sensed, but since we was just holding it a person would need to be much closer to sense it.

Possibly my knowledge is just rusty, but I don't think that's how it works.  Just before Rand first meets Semirhage, he thinks "He felt Logain and the other two men seize saidin, filling themselves with it.  Logain held almost as much as he could have himself..."  That said, perhaps sensing someone holding the Power attenuates differently from sensing someone actively channeling.

About Nicola's Talents, "first" (in the scene's context) I guess means the first they discovered.

Though (like you posted), Foretelling was the first to manifest.

The first she received, that is unknown.

Maybe each person has all of their Talents since birth or since some point in the pregnancy; not entirely certain.

Like another poster told, it is generally best to post all questions in one post instead in multiple posts.

Waldo, it's generally customary to make a list of your questions, and put them all into one post, instead of posting multiples.

Sorry, misjudged the etiquette for this thread.  :-(  I guess I'm too used to actual conversation threads on other comment/post platforms, where you'd probably want to split out responses to separate topics.

Yes, I meant VoG specifically, probably should have been clearer about that.

Possibly my knowledge is just rusty, but I don't think that's how it works.  Just before Rand first meets Semirhage, he thinks "He felt Logain and the other two men seize saidin, filling themselves with it.  Logain held almost as much as he could have himself..."  That said, perhaps sensing someone holding the Power attenuates differently from sensing someone actively channeling.

He is standing right beside them basically. Like Durinax said, if he wove something, maybe it could be felt (not by any women though, they felt Nynaeve/Rand weaving Saidar, not the Saidin part, at the cleansing) by Logain, Taim or whoever else. Maybe they felt him crush the statue, I guess I don't know how powerful of a weave he used to do that, probably not overly much though or he likely would have destroyed everything for miles around the statute.

Got to Dumai's Wells in my relisten.

Two questions on that fight:

- How did Taim know where to be?

- Why did Sevanna decide to attack the Tower Aes Sedai?

Sevanna wanted to seize rand, and use him to gather the spears under her so she could conquest the westlands. Sammael was going to provide her something to control rand

the male adam, Semirhage called it the Domination Band; I recall it being called the sad bracelets.  Not sure where originally it was called that later term.

Which name did Robert Jordan prefer for it?

the male adam, Semirhage called it the Domination Band; I recall it being called the sad bracelets.  Not sure where originally it was called that later term.

Which name did Robert Jordan prefer for it?

I do not know which name Jordan preferred but the way I understand it the name of the artifact is the Domination band but that the sad bracelets is sort of like a nickname which some use for it.

Edited by Hagazussa

Thank you, Dragonmount!! I've lurked on the site for years and I have true gratitude....

My question: Who inscribed Mat's ashanderei?

Power-wrought during War of the Shadow, but certainly not with that unique inscription..... So who did it? (....if this is the BUT, I expect some major merchandise....)

In Crossroads of Twilight, when Alvairin is marked by Shadar Haran... does that mean she is a Chosen now? Or is it because she wasn't marked in Shayul Ghul, the mark is more of a way for Shadow Minions to know she is under the direct supervision and protection of Shadar Haran?