DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I am reading through Path of Daggers now, and I am in the scene where Daved Hanlon arrives in Caemlyn, right after Elayne gets there. He sees "Lady Shiane".

How did "Lady Shiaine" (a.k.a. Mili Skane) get to Caemlyn from Ebu Dar before Elayne? Yes, Elayne's trip to Caemlyn took FOREVER to read, but in actually it took 15 days. It should have taken Mili much longer to get there from Ebu Dar. Did someone Travel her there?

Edited by Whizbang

To further put context on my question, I found this:

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/books/tpod/ch28.html

It looks like it actually took 33 days to get from Ebu Dar to Caemlyn. This seems like a long time for someone who can Travel, even with snows slowing them down.

But, still, the snows would have slowed Mili and company. Unless Moridin sent them there through a gateway, which seems likely after reading the link above.

Edited by Whizbang

that is absolutely beautiful.

now i just need to figure out how to order the book with that specific cover

Shouldn't you just be able to ship a copy over from Amazon.co.uk?

I've ordered items from American websites with absolutely no trouble before, and even the P+P hasn't been too bad.

Edited by Arran

I have a question.

Earlier I was rereading TOM - the chapter titled: ''A Seven-Striped Lass.'' ... Mat is thinking to himself that he ''had already died once.'' He thinks this as he fingers his scarf that covers the scar he recieved from being hung.

There are old RJ quotes where RH states that Mat's ''death'' came at the hands of the lightening in FOH and NOT by the hanging that gave him the scar and the need for a neck scarf.

So, why is Mat thinking this???

Fish

that is absolutely beautiful.

now i just need to figure out how to order the book with that specific cover

Shouldn't you just be able to ship a copy over from Amazon.co.uk?

I've ordered items from American websites with absolutely no trouble before, and even the P+P hasn't been too bad.

you would think so, but looking at Amazon, i'm only finding the US cover with Rand and his sword

EDIT: never mind. it worked by going to the UK amazon site instead

Edited by ROB_88

Yoniyo - RJ himself spoke on it though. Mat has it backwards here. Or Brandon does.
Unlike us, Mat doesn't enjoy the benefit of RJ's quotes; I don't expect his thoughts to reflect RJ's answers. On the other hand, the mere fact that we had to ask RJ implies that Mat isn't crazy in thinking that Rhuidean was when he died and lived again.

In short, this is one area where I don't think you can fault Brandon.

About the trips to Caemlyn, I calculated 30 days for Elayne; from Steven Cooper's timeline. not 33 days.

The books do not tell when Mili arrived; nor the means of her arrival.  Sammael providing a Gateway for her sometime before he died (and Moridin finding out afterward) might have been another possibility.

LOC chapter 5 A Different Dance

He had been dead for sure until Rand cut him down and revived him. For the hundredth time he remade a promise to himself. From now on he was going to watch where he put his feet. No more jumping into things without thinking what might come of it.

He had died, after all, swinging on that rope. If that was true, the rest had to be. No way out of that.

Asmodean was the one (from his lone PoV) who figured out what actually happened in Caemlyn to fulfill the prophecy, but Mat seems oblivious unless I missed something.

Is it mentioned anywhere if the Ogier are vegetarian? I can't find any references to what they eat. 

I was thinking about  whether or not being a vegetarian is a part of  the Way of the Leaf. I do know that Tinkers are vegetarian and I thought the Ogier might be too.

Is it mentioned anywhere if the Ogier are vegetarian? I can't find any references to what they eat.

I was thinking about whether or not being a vegetarian is a part of the Way of the Leaf. I do know that Tinkers are vegetarian and I thought the Ogier might be too.

Nope.
At first, Rand stared at his food doubtfully. The pork was cut in small bits, mixed with long strips of yellow peppers, and peas, and a number of vegetables and things he did not recognize, all in some sort of clear, thick sauce. It smelled sweet and sharp, both at the same time. Selene only picked at hers, but Loial was eating with a will.

Did the Sea Folk have any contact with Seachan before the Empire decided to up and invade the West? They they cross the ocean to trade with them and if so how did they prevent their Windfinders from being taken as damane?
I think they never used to:
"You require much," Harine muttered bitterly. "We know of these Seanchan, who come from the Islands of the Dead, it seems, from which no ship returns. Some of our ships have encountered theirs; they use the One Power as a weapon. You require more than you know, Coramoor." For once, she did not pause at the title. "Some dark evil has descended upon the Aryth Ocean. No ship of ours has come from there in many months. Ships that sail west, vanish."

It is one of those puzzling details, which is difficult to believe when you think about it.
The Athan Miere have natural curiosity as mariners, which means that Sea-folk ships do head towards Seanchan (western Aryth Ocean)
The Seanchan have serious naval forces and deep-sea competence.
This should have gotten them into (perhaps hostile) contact long ago.

The Seanchan and sea folk apparently don't trade.
Shara and the Sea-folk do.
Shara and Seanchan apparently do trade - silk and elephants (even if sre'dit boarhorses don't come from Shara, a Seanchan keeper knows enough about Shara to pretend they.do.)
Even though the Shara continent curls around to the Western side of Seanchan, we've never seen Shara ships in any Westland port  - they seem to conduct all their trading either via the Aiel or the Sea-folk.
So how do the Seanchan exchange goods with Shara if not via sea-folk ? (Edit: Assuming there's no land causeway between continents and also assuming that Seanchan doesn't use its ships to trade with Shara while strictly focussing on invading Westland )

Also how did the Seanchan send their spies over before they sent the Hailene if they didn't seek passage on Sea-folk ships?
Did they land them stealthily while waiting offshore or something or just tell them to fan out all over after they landed at Falme?

Edited by Sharaman

I agree with the first part of your summery. As for the second, it stands to reason that the Sharans have port cities in the far east serving Seanchan ships. The sea dividing them is, after all, much narrower than the Aryth Ocean. As for Seanchan spies, since they were based from Tremalking, it's not at all dubious that they were able to send them (and that only if they, indeed, did not plan ahead when they held Falme).