DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Possibly I just like I said can not remember any section where a female channeler have been hurt and reacted less in pain when channeling, but also like I said it is a big series so I can have missed something, then again channeling is described as very pleasurable, so that sensation alone might reduce the effect of pain and other discomfort.

Edited by Hagazussa

IIRC Luckers once culled a quote to show that channelers (not potential channelers but somebody who hs already embraced the source) are immune to normal infections.
They need to eat, drink, and they can suffer physical injury or psychic injury including stuff (13x13 and oath rods) that can't happen to ordinary people.

Have we had a confirmation about Min's viewing of Perrin regarding trees blossoming? Like whether it's been fulfilled yet or not?

I'm re reading tSR right now and wondering if it could have had to do with the trees his family is buried under.  If not the only other thing I could think of is some collateral effect from Rand being one with the land.  Short of confirmation of it being fulfilled or not, I kind of lean towards the former.

Possibly I just like I said can not remember any section where a female channeler have been hurt and reacted less in pain when channeling, but also like I said it is a big series so I can have missed something, then again channeling is described as very pleasurable, so that sensation alone might reduce the effect of pain and other discomfort.

As a matter of fact that ignoring pain thing is an element of the void not the one power. Galad displays it when he is dueling with Valda.

IIRC Luckers once culled a quote to show that channelers (not potential channelers but somebody who hs already embraced the source) are immune to normal infections.

They need to eat, drink, and they can suffer physical injury or psychic injury including stuff (13x13 and oath rods) that can't happen to ordinary people.

I don't have my books on my but its in the Eye of the World whent he gang reunite in Caemlyn. Nynaeve offers to help Moiraine with Mat, stating that she doesn't catch illnesses. Moiraine says that her immunity would not protect her from the evil of Shadar Logoth. The inference of Nynaeve's offer and Moiraine's understanding is that channelers have a far stronger immunity to normal people, possibly even a perfect one.

Well it's anyone's guess what the difference means. If that is the case, then it is holding Saidar that buffers them against pain. 

I thought holding the Power increases awareness of pain.

Rand ignores the pain when in the box through the void, I'm sure it's when the void shatters that he feels more pain, although since the two are related it could be saidin.  But when in the Tower Eg...

Knife of Dreams - Honey in the Tea

Opening herself to the Source, Egwene embraced saidar, let it rush into her. The forkroot allowed only a trickle, a thread where she was accustomed to torrents, yet it was the Power, and trickle or no, it brought all of the life and joy of saidar, all the heightened awareness of herself and the room around her. Awareness of herself meant her smarting bottom suddenly felt freshly slippered again, but she did not shift. Breathe in the pain. She could smell the faint aroma of soap from the novices’ morning wash, see a tiny vein pulsing on Idrelle’s forehead.

Well it's anyone's guess what the difference means. If that is the case, then it is holding Saidar that buffers them against pain. 

Rand ignores the pain when in the box through the void, I'm sure it's when the void shatters that he feels more pain, although since the two are related it could be saidin.  But when in the Tower Eg...

Opening herself to the Source, Egwene embraced saidar, let it rush into her. The forkroot allowed only a trickle, a thread where she was accustomed to torrents, yet it was the Power, and trickle or no, it brought all of the life and joy of saidar, all the heightened awareness of herself and the room around her. Awareness of herself meant her smarting bottom suddenly felt freshly slippered again, but she did not shift. Breathe in the pain. She could smell the faint aroma of soap from the novices’ morning wash, see a tiny vein pulsing on Idrelle’s forehead.

That is a good quote, I was most likely mistaken on this it seems. 

I was angling more about pain threshold type thing, that they could take more when holding the Power (even if they are aware of it). That they can stay conscious and active for longer than another person would do. 

However, the pain thing it seems I was wrong about. 

That is a good quote, I was most likely mistaken on this it seems. 

I was angling more about pain threshold type thing, that they could take more when holding the Power (even if they are aware of it). That they can stay conscious and active for longer than another person would do. 

However, the pain thing it seems I was wrong about. 

You may well be right about endurance - in EotW on the escape, Moiraine washes tiredness away from the group (although Lan says he doesn't need it).  Bearing in mind that Rand, Perrin and likely Mat are all going to be very active they're not exactly unfit or unused to hard work.  Yet Moiraine keeps up with them and keeps going. 

Off the top of my head this is the only thing I can think of that's relevant to endurance (which I don't think is exactly what you meant anyway - but when you're that tired it's kind of like pain). 

I don't have my books on my but its in the Eye of the World whent he gang reunite in Caemlyn. Nynaeve offers to help Moiraine with Mat, stating that she doesn't catch illnesses. Moiraine says that her immunity would not protect her from the evil of Shadar Logoth. The inference of Nynaeve's offer and Moiraine's understanding is that channelers have a far stronger immunity to normal people, possibly even a perfect one.

Didn't Moiraine say 'protection'? That's a far cry from 'immunity'.

how tall is Rand?  are we ever given an actual measurement? RJ has weird measurements for things, so do we know how tall he is by our standards?

Here you go mate...

Interview: Dec 5th, 2000Br00se

The next question was about the heights and weights of the three amigos. I had seen the heights reported before, but not the weights. This might actually be new info.

Robert Jordan

Rand is 6' 5" to 6' 6" and 235 lbs.

Perrin is 6' 1½" and 235-245 lbs.

Mat is 6' and 180 lbs.

Edited by Suttree

You may well be right about endurance - in EotW on the escape, Moiraine washes tiredness away from the group (although Lan says he doesn't need it).  Bearing in mind that Rand, Perrin and likely Mat are all going to be very active they're not exactly unfit or unused to hard work.  Yet Moiraine keeps up with them and keeps going.

Perhaps but remember Moiraine is in pretty good physical condition, she have not been sitting in the Tower and been pampered she have been traveling around looking for the Dragon reborn, I would say she is in as good a shape as the Two Rivers people, and also she is used to riding having spent so much time on horseback something most of them have not. But then again she is already tired as she have been channeling at trollocs all night and then healed Tam, but I do not think this scene show her having any abnormal endurance, other than he naturally being though as nails.

Didn't Moiraine say 'protection'? That's a far cry from 'immunity'.

Yeah that is what I am wondering about, is the resistance channelers have to illness a protection or is it total immunity and do how much they channel anything to do with the degree to which they are protected. If someone shields Milly the Aes Sedai for a year, other than her probably growing stir crazy from the desire to channel will she then be able to get the flu but if she channels at regular intervals she is not?

Hum...so Rand is between 198 to 201 cm tall and he weigh 106,5 kg. Hum...that give him a BMI of 27, sorry I just had to. :P

Perhaps but remember Moiraine is in pretty good physical condition, she have not been sitting in the Tower and been pampered she have been traveling around looking for the Dragon reborn, I would say she is in as good a shape as the Two Rivers people, and also she is used to riding having spent so much time on horseback something most of them have not. But then again she is already tired as she have been channeling at trollocs all night and then healed Tam, but I do not think this scene show her having any abnormal endurance, other than he naturally being though as nails.

Oh, I agree completely that Moiraine is in good shape and didn't mean to suggest that she's also not generally active - I was struggling to come up with examples that show her endurance (for whatever reason) and thought this was a good one, as it shows her able to keep going while 3 (fit) young lads are not.  That's a good point about the difference between being generally active and specifically horse-riding tho, I guess Mat's the only one that will have had experience of extended riding (if he even does)

The cause of the endurance I don't know.

There also is something to be said of commitment and dedication.  Moir is the most committed and dedicated person in the first handful of books.  Rand and Company are still trying to come to terms with and accept the duty.  They are running for their lives there in the beginning of tEotW, which is a great motivator to be sure, but when the immediate danger passes, they would all let themselves feel their exhaustion.  Moir, on the other hand, knows this is just the beginning of the chase, and she will see it through to the bitter end.  A little tiredness, even to the point of falling on your face, is nothing when compared to the battles ahead.

Hmmm, I've always taken the 'halls of mourning' to mean Mat is mourning, rather than Mat is in a place called the 'halls of mourning' since there are no capital letters.

But, some people seem convinced otherwise, so I wandered if I missed something.

Thanks