DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I think that ward was only around the city. Also, Rand theorizes (probably correctly) that the warding is set up in "boxes". So, Samael goes around the city, and creates "box" wards to detect a man channeling, puts them so they are almost touching and covers the entire city. This way, when a single box "goes off", he'll know exactly where the channeling occured.

Rand counters this by sending a dozen or more Ashaman through to channel in as many places as possible, then sweeping weaves all over the city. This sets all the alarms off at once, or within a minute or two. These wards have to be manually re-set, so once they go off, Rand can channel anywhere in the city, knowing that Samael has to rely on his own senses.

Edited by Whizbang

Sigh, does Sammael at least put up a decent fight? :( He's meant to be a good general

He puts up a pretty good fight, but its like Ilturade in Saldea--he should have been gone a long time ago. Rand is more than a match for him directly, and he's got the help of a few dozen pretty strong channelers, and Rand had the drop in the attack. Sammael was a good general but too unwilling to retreat.

Edit: I thought this was a "Spoilers to ToM" forum?

Edited by TNine

Sigh, does Sammael at least put up a decent fight? :( He's meant to be a good general

He puts up a pretty good fight, but its like Ilturade in Saldea--he should have been gone a long time ago. Rand is more than a match for him directly, and he's got the help of a few dozen pretty strong channelers, and Rand had the drop in the attack. Sammael was a good general but too unwilling to retreat.

Edit: I thought this was a "Spoilers to ToM" forum?

EmporerAllSpice, do not read this spoiler. Seriously.

He did retreat, though. When it was apparent that he couldn't fight Rand in Illian, he retreated to Shadar Logath, where he had traps set up to fight Rand. He didn't count on Moridin stepping in and helping Rand.

@TNine, it is, but EmporerAllspice in on his first read through. I figured I'd at least give him the choice to be spoiled or not.

Edited by Whizbang

Has Egwene made cuendillar from any thing other than iron?

Does cuendillar have to start with a base of iron or metal or can it be made from anything? Glass, wood, rock, etc?

Other than the fact that the making of it was forgotten, it does not seem especially difficult to make. There probably would have been a pretty strong manufacturing base of cuendillar for very specific items. Why the heck are we only seeing cuendillar cups and not cuendillar jet/rocket parts? or some other component of an engine or machine that would greatly benefit from a precise item that never wears out?

Maybe the larger pieces have been sunk beneath the sea or earth. Cups and stuff are easy to pack and carry with you, while escaping during the Breaking. Jet/rocket parts have no use to someone fleeing for their life from a crazy male channeler. So, the large pieces were probably buried in the chaos. Also, maybe there was a special law regulating making cuendillar. Maybe they had the same technology trend we have these days, where only a few years goes by before what was new and amazing is now obsolete. Making something indestructable when you may have to retire it in only a few years, or even decades, is not practical. They can reinforce things just fine using other methods (look at Rand and Lan's swords).

Maybe the larger pieces have been sunk beneath the sea or earth. Cups and stuff are easy to pack and carry with you, while escaping during the Breaking. Jet/rocket parts have no use to someone fleeing for their life from a crazy male channeler. So, the large pieces were probably buried in the chaos. Also, maybe there was a special law regulating making cuendillar. Maybe they had the same technology trend we have these days, where only a few years goes by before what was new and amazing is now obsolete. Making something indestructable when you may have to retire it in only a few years, or even decades, is not practical. They can reinforce things just fine using other methods (look at Rand and Lan's swords).

I don't believe that the swords are cuendillar, they are power wrought weapons.

One idea I forgot to finish was if cuendillar could be made of other base materials and if so, does the cuendillar item carry some of the base properties over or does all cuendillar regardless of the base material gain a standard set of properties. IE, the weight of a cuendillar cup that began as an iron cup vs the weight of a cuendillar cup that began as aluminum or Styrofoam. That could have some pretty interesting uses.

I didn't say the swords were a form of ceundillar, I said that AS had other ways to strengthen things without making them cuendillar, like the swords. For manufacturing purposes, a NEARLY indestructable item is better than a completely indestructable one. It won't break through wear and tear, but you can at least salvage it and recycle it into something else. Cuendillar is permenant and irreversable, unless you have access to the True Power, or are willing to unravel the Pattern.

I have no evidence to support this, but I believe cuendillar can only be made with iron. I am not sure why you'd need to make it with anything else. Iron can be shaped into whatever you want, and then transformed. The only reason I can think of to look for other materials is possibly the weight. Iron is heavy, and I assume cuendillar is heavy as well. Maybe cuendillar made from plastic or wood will be lighter. I don't know. But, I will believe that cuendillar can only be made from iron until informed otherwise. The weight of it would also be a limiting factor in its use. A rocket ship made of cuendillar would be hard to get off the ground.

One thing in favor of cuendillar being made from different materials is the male a'dam, the domination bands. Moghedien says they are "a form of cuendillar". Egwene seems to know only one form of cuendillar. There must be other ways to create the stuff. Whether from other materials or different weaves, who knows? This also makes sense considering the color of the domination bands. They are black. All cuendillar Egwene makes is white, and it is a common belief that females make white cuendillar and males make black. So, either a male made the bands (a possibility) or females can make different colors. Hmmm... One thought regarding the color... The seals are both black and white. Only males went to Shayol Ghul during the Sealing. So, either the seals were made beforehand, and then had the Seal attached after the fact, or males can make both colors. So, maybe it is the weave that does it, and Egwene only knows the White Weave.

Edited by Whizbang

About cuendillar, some things would be impracticable as cuendillar since it is a solid substance. Armor (suggested in past threads) would be one of those things; because armor needs to be flexible.

jets, rockets, machines; some of their parts may need to be flexible and/or moveable. moveable things would also be impracticable as cuendillar.

About Karaethon/Essanik/Jendai, the books do not tell the origins of those terms; at least not explicitly.

Jendai Prophecies seems to deal mainly with the Sea Folk; the term Jendai probably relates somehow to the Sea Folk.

Essanik; the first of those I guessed were corruptions by Ishamael from the Karaethon Cycle; still guessing that.

About cuendillar, some things would be impracticable as cuendillar since it is a solid substance. Armor (suggested in past threads) would be one of those things; because armor needs to be flexible.

jets, rockets, machines; some of their parts may need to be flexible and/or moveable. moveable things would also be impracticable as cuendillar.

About Karaethon/Essanik/Jendai, the books do not tell the origins of those terms; at least not explicitly.

Jendai Prophecies seems to deal mainly with the Sea Folk; the term Jendai probably relates somehow to the Sea Folk.

Essanik; the first of those I guessed were corruptions by Ishamael from the Karaethon Cycle; still guessing that.

Actually the Essanik and Karaethon Cycles are separate.

The Karaethon was writtten in the AoL. It is widely speculated that it was the copies of the Karaethon Cycle that Hawkwing's kin brought with them that Ishy corrupted.

All we know of the Essanik Cycle is that it is a collection of damane foretellings and we have no proof that any of the info in it existed prior to about 1100 years ago when the first women were collared.

They are most definitely separate though.

Edited by Finnssss

Lanfear was rescued by Slayer, but did not survive the trip out as Moiraine. Most likely Slayer left Lanfear to save his own skin. This happens off-screen, exept for Slayer finding Moiraine first. Even Moiraine mentions meeting him without knowing whom he was.

Is that a question? If I had to guess, I'd say Moridin was the one to 'rescue' Lanfear, although the term should only very loosely be applied here.

Edited by yoniy0

Why would components that move be impractical?

Why would armor need to be flexible? Just how flexible is an iron/steel breast plate? If flexibility is necessary, scale armor and custom crafted interlocking metal bands for joints would rectify that problem.

Why did Moridan give Lanfear a new body? And why did he fetch her out at all?

There are far too few Forsaken for one to be discarded just because she was in 'finnland. As for the new body, more could be said once AMoL is published (or you might take this question to the spoiler board).

If a person that can channel comes across a weave (made from the the portion of the One Power that they can channel) that is tied off, or perhaps maintained by the person channeling, would they be able to reason out how that weave was made, or would they have to see the actual weaving do do that?

Most likely it can be reasoned out. Remember Rand following Sammael to Shadar Logoth at the end of aCoS? Sammael makes a gateway, Rand copies his weave but alters it slightly. The same should work for a tied off weave.

That's a bad example to be honest.

Rand has the same rare talent as Avi, in that he can read weave residues and recreate them. Almost anyone else would have actually had to have seem Sammy make the Gateway to recreate it.

Gateways in general are bad examples. You can only learn how to make one if you see it made. You can't learn how from a Gateway that's already formed. Even Rand and Avi would have to wait until the Gateway "winks" out.

I think what's being asked depends on the weaves and what they form or if they form into anything.

A fireball for example would be active weaves to keep it together while a lightning bolt you wouldn't see how it was done unless you saw the weaves at its creation point.

Or like cuendillar and power wrought weapons. You can't tell what weaves were used in their creation once the process is done. You would have to see it actually being done.

If say, Beonin made a gateway in front of Elaida, she could obviously see how it was done. If she made one in the next room and maintained it, then Elaida walked in, could she or could she not learn the method from that? Or if she made one out of sight and then tied it off, then Elaida happened upon it? I can't recall any definitive passages aside from the Talent of being able to read residues, which apparently allow some to duplicate a weaving as much as two days after it has dissipated.

Well, since there are multiple ways of doing things with the power (remember the problem with learning a weave a certain way?), the end result is all that seems to matter. Since the end result is all that matters, it is reasonable that given enough time to study it, one could recreate it. As long as you can see the weaves.

Does anyone know Taim's actual strength?

Well, since there are multiple ways of doing things with the power (remember the problem with learning a weave a certain way?), the end result is all that seems to matter. Since the end result is all that matters, it is reasonable that given enough time to study it, one could recreate it. As long as you can see the weaves.

Not with a Gateway though. Once it's formed, there are no weaves to read any more. You would have to see it done.

Does anyone know Taim's actual strength?

No, not his actual strength, just specualtion from when Rand made him hold as much as he could in LoC. At the time, Taim could hold almost as much as Rand unaided could BUT Rand wasn't maxed out yet AND Rand is not sure if Taim was holding as much as he could. Rand did not feel Taim straining enough to be holding his maximum.

Did Nicola die in the tower durring the Masana fight in ToM.

Looks that way, yes.