DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

what side effect is that, just wondering?

"You felt nothing special at the time, but a week or ten days later you had your first reaction to touching the True Source. Perhaps fever and chills that came on suddenly and put you to bed, then disappeared after only a few hours. None of the reactions, and they vary, lasts more than a few hours. Headaches and numbness and exhilaration all mixed together, and you taking foolish chances or acting giddy. A spell of dizziness, when you tripped and stumbled whenever you tried to move, when you could not say a sentence without your tongue mangling half the words. There are others. Do you remember?"

The normal one. The first few times touching the Source for a sparker results in precisely that sort of thing.

From Moiraine...

"But I can tell you how it began."

"I don't want to hear any more of your lies," she said, but the Aes Sedai went right on. "Perhaps as much as eight or ten years ago - the age varies, but always comes young – there was something you wanted more than anything else in the world, something you needed. And you got it. A branch suddenly falling where you could pull yourself out of a pond instead of drowning. A friend, or a pet, getting well when everyone thought they would die.

"You felt nothing special at the time, but a week or ten days later you had your first reaction to touching the True Source. Perhaps fever and chills that came on suddenly and put you to bed, then disappeared after only a few hours. None of the reactions, and they vary, lasts more than a few hours. Headaches and numbness and exhilaration all mixed together, and you taking foolish chances or acting giddy. A spell of dizziness, when you tripped and stumbled whenever you tried to move, when you could not say a sentence without your tongue mangling half the words. There are others. Do you remember?"

At the Cleansing scene the female Forsaken taunt Demandred with the fact that if the taint is removed from the Source, he won't need the Dark Ones protection to channel safely any more and that therefore the DO won't (or may not) trust male channelers as much anymore.

Does this imply that as the female channelers don't need his protection that they're curently trusted less, or that males are inherantly less trust worthy. Additionally the taint occurred as a couterstrike to the sealing, so wouldn't have affected them during the War of Power. Does this mean they've been trusted more since released as a result of the taint and protection? Or was it aimed at Demandred specifically as a way to hint that he personally wasn't going to be trusted?

As it is, Shai'tan has a tighter leash on the men than he does the women - they men need Him to remain sane. If you task the women with stopping the Cleansing, then succeed or fail, they don't really gain. If the men fail, then they no longer need Shai'tan - while it doesn't automatically prove they will turn against Him, it can be used to poison Him against them by pointing out that they might not have tried as hard as they could, in order to ensure a result that benefits them. Female failure can be seen as incompetence, but male failure is easier to portray as possible treachery.

As was explained, the first reactions were of him acting all weird in Baerlon and on the ship after using the power to boost Bela's stamina.

He had a much more severe reaction after calling lightning down on their Inn in Four Kings. He become extremely ill after as mentioned in tEotW-33.

It has been widely discussed that Ishamael is a philosopher and people seem to agree that he wants the end of all things, to stop the incessant repeats of the wheel. That being said, if overuse of balefire destabilizes the Lace of Ages then why doesn't Ishamael go nuts with it and spew balefire all over the place? Is there any good reason ever stated why Ishamael would not use balefire? He seems pretty nuts and doesn't mind using the True Power so I'm wondering if there is anything I am overlooking.

EDIT: He does use it and his and Rands balefire cancel each other out, if I recall correctly, but why not use it a heckuva lot more?

Edited by TGlems

Wait, when a female uses an A'dam on another woman, they can use that other woman's Power against their will, right? Could the same thing happen with the Male A'dam. Could a woman use it to wield Callandor?

Yes. That is the purpose of the a'dam, male or female, to control the collared channeler. The a'dam Nyn and Elayne found in Tanchico would allow a female to control a male through the link. Though, I am not sure if a'dam prevent the use of angreal.

Edited by Whizbang

Can men be the Sul'dom using ANY type of A'dam?

No, somewhere in the books (I don't remember where) one of the Seanchan thinks about how the Empress enjoys forcing some men to try on the a'dam bracelet. A few of them feel agony and even die (the Seanchan believe it is random, but the reader is supposed to know that these are men that can learn to channel, not sparkers). Also, in The Fires of Heaven, Rand tries to take off the a'dam on a damane (when Avi Travels to Seanchan and Rand rescues her, they have a night of passion, and are now returning to the blocked gateway) and feels a jolt of pain and disorientation, and Saidin goes wild. This is a known affect of men who can channel touching the female a'dam.

Edited by Whizbang

Can the effects of Sa'angreal and linking stack?

Like can Rand be linked with a hundred men and women and then use Callandor? or the Choedan Kal?

Yes. Though, I think the limit of a circle is 72.

Correct, it starts with 2 full circles of 13 women linked with 1 man but you can only increase the circle by 8 women per man after this to a max of 72

It goes

13 women linked

+ 1 man

13 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

MAX 66 women, 6 men or I assume any combo of men and women equaling 72 as long as there are not more men than women.

Edited by Finnssss

What about the Male A'dam?

I don't know if it says anywhere in a book or interview if men can use the male a'dam to control another man. It definitely can be used by a woman (or even two women, each wearing one bracelet) to control a man. Since the male a'dam is a breaking era device, it would stand to reason it can only be used by women.

Like can Rand be linked with a hundred men and women and then use Callandor? or the Choedan Kal?

Correct, it starts with 2 full circles of 13 women linked with 1 man but you can only increase the circle by 8 women per man after this to a max of 72

It goes

13 women linked

+ 1 man

13 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

MAX 66 women, 6 men or I assume any combo of men and women equaling 72 as long as there are not more men than women.

So only 6 men can take part in a linking? Can these 6 come at any point? Like can you have a linking of 1 woman and 6 men?

Except for 1 man-1 woman, 2 man-1 woman or 2 man-2 woman, a circle must have more women than men. So a circle of 72 can have 35 men and 37 women. It is impossible to make a circle of 1 woman and 6 men.

And they can't come at any point. Women can form a circle of 13, then to add another woman they have to add a man first. So you have a circle of 13 women, you add one man, then you can add another 13 women. Or you can just go ahead and add the man in the first place but the man cannot come last.

Edited by Cem Önal

So only 6 men can take part in a linking? Can these 6 come at any point? Like can you have a linking of 1 woman and 6 men?

No, that is the bare minimum/requirement. You can have a mixed number of men and women (I believe), but you must have at least 6 men to bring the circle to 72. I believe it is stated in the books that the greatest achievements were when the number of men and women were equal.

Edited by Whizbang

It goes

13 women linked

+ 1 man

13 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

+1 man

8 more women

I bolded the line you missed ;)

Wait, so if you had a circle of 72... when a single man can have weaves spanning countries.

... how on earth can team shadow combat that?

How do you come up with "a single man can have weaves spanning countries"? I assume you refer to the Rand/Samael fight in Cairhein during the battle with the Shaido. I always assumed that Samael Traveled to Cairhein and worked from some hilltop somewhere. They might be able to reach a few miles, maybe as much as 10 or so, but the farther they go, the less they can do. Maybe in a large circle, or with the Cheodin Khal, you can reach another country, but it would be far simpler and more effective to Travel there before you do so.