DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

If you need to be considerably stronger than someone to be able to shield them while they are holding the Source, how does Nyn block Mogi in Tanchico? This always bugged me.

Didn't Nynaeve throw something at Moghedian's face and was able to shield her as she recoiled from that?

If you need to be considerably stronger than someone to be able to shield them while they are holding the Source, how does Nyn block Mogi in Tanchico? This always bugged me.

Didn't Nynaeve throw something at Moghedian's face and was able to shield her as she recoiled from that?

she did it to distract her, I am not sure if it hit her or not, but it caused her to move strength from the duel to deal with it, which allowed Nyn to shield her.

There is that "Resonance" test.

That works for learners too. Unless the test gives a different resonant for sparkers, which I doubt.

Right, but I was wondering a timeframe, as days or even months after taking the oaths you do not yet have the ageless face, so when does it set in? One year? Two?

Might be longer. In CoT, Ch23 it says "Beldeine saw her step out, and stiffened, twitching at the green-fringed shawl she had worn fewer than five years". She doesn't have the ageless face. The question is how fewer than five years.

Edit: according to EWoT Beldeine was raised in late 996 NE, we are currently at June 1000 NE.

Edited by Cem Önal

Might be longer. In CoT, Ch23 it says "Beldeine saw her step out, and stiffened, twitching at the green-fringed shawl she had worn fewer than five years". She doesn't have the ageless face. The question is how fewer than five years.

Edit: according to EWoT Beldeine was raised in late 996 NE, we are currently at June 1000 NE.

Thank you.

I don't have the quote to hand, but doesn't Lanfear say after partially shielding Asmodean that it's possible to escape you just need to accept pain? Although we haven't seen much evidence of this, Rand doesn't experience pain (as such) when escaping from the box. Maybe Lanfear is just referring to a 'partial' shield

It could be that Lanfear is referring to another way to break through a shield, there are ways to do the same thing with the One Power than on your average Windows computer after all. Now a shield in itself is not painful, if the channeler where not holding the Power at the moment they probably would not even know they where shielded before they try to channel, unless the shield is put in place very roughly, if the channeler is holding the power however being shielded is described as quite a shock like being dropped in ice cold water so there are some discomfort there. The backlash that comes if the weaves a channeler is holding is cut is also uncomfortable, and over channeling causes pain, it is not then far fetched that there are ways to break out of a shield that might be painful, even if the method that LTT teach Rand is not.

Also, Rand is pretty good at ignoring pain. The guy is walking around with several debilitating wounds and still kicking ass and taking names, not to mention he'd been stuffed in a box for weeks, being beaten several times a day. I doubt he'd really notice the pain associated with breaking through the shields, especially in the relief he'd feel at being free and back in control.

Ok I was wondering if there are any threads or conversations going on about the idea that Cadsuane and her sisters will be involved in the Black tower plot? I was recently reading something that made me think that maybe Cads and Co will help save the BT and in doing so teach them to laugh,cry, etc. I searched a bit but did not see much.

I don't have the quote to hand, but doesn't Lanfear say after partially shielding Asmodean that it's possible to escape you just need to accept pain? Although we haven't seen much evidence of this, Rand doesn't experience pain (as such) when escaping from the box. Maybe Lanfear is just referring to a 'partial' shield

It could be that Lanfear is referring to another way to break through a shield, there are ways to do the same thing with the One Power than on your average Windows computer after all. Now a shield in itself is not painful, if the channeler where not holding the Power at the moment they probably would not even know they where shielded before they try to channel, unless the shield is put in place very roughly, if the channeler is holding the power however being shielded is described as quite a shock like being dropped in ice cold water so there are some discomfort there. The backlash that comes if the weaves a channeler is holding is cut is also uncomfortable, and over channeling causes pain, it is not then far fetched that there are ways to break out of a shield that might be painful, even if the method that LTT teach Rand is not.

I think that is in reference to that particular shield, which allows him to channel a trickle, so in effect if would be like squeezing through a space much smaller that he needed until he broke the shield.

Ok I was wondering if there are any threads or conversations going on about the idea that Cadsuane and her sisters will be involved in the Black tower plot? I was recently reading something that made me think that maybe Cads and Co will help save the BT and in doing so teach them to laugh,cry, etc. I searched a bit but did not see much.

Well there are quotes and maybe some threads on Pevara at the BT if you search. Per BS she has a "moment of awesome" in that storyline and we also know the BT has yet to be rent in "fire and blood". I'm just not sure that Cads will play much of a role in it.

It's been mentioned in the books, possibly by Verin (sorry, can't remember) that the Dark One isn't fighting the war the way everyone thinks he is.  What's meant by this?  I mean, are there clues out there that kind of hint what this means or is this something that we'll mostly find out about in the last book?

Also, Rand is pretty good at ignoring pain.  The guy is walking around with several debilitating wounds and still kicking ass and taking names, not to mention he'd been stuffed in a box for weeks, being beaten several times a day.  I doubt he'd really notice the pain associated with breaking through the shields, especially in the relief he'd feel at being free and back in control.

This is possible, but while pain would not slow him down it would be strange that it is not mentioned by a word as he is working on breaking the shield as that section is from Rand's point of view if he felt any.

I think that is in reference to that particular shield, which allows him to channel a trickle, so in effect if would be like squeezing through a space much smaller that he needed until he broke the shield.

That might be it, it might that mean that if Lanfear's restricting shield restricted his connection to saidin, that channeling any more than a trickle would feel like over channeling which is painful.

It's been mentioned in the books, possibly by Verin (sorry, can't remember) that the Dark One isn't fighting the war the way everyone thinks he is.  What's meant by this?  I mean, are there clues out there that kind of hint what this means or is this something that we'll mostly find out about in the last book?

It's TGS's A Visit From Verin Sedai. As to what He's actually doing, I don't think we can provide a comprehensive answer at this point, but subverting Rand was probably a big part of it. For some reason, the DO needed Rand to work on his behalf. We'll probably see more of that in AMoL (remember that there has been foreshadowing for Ishamael's loosing embarrassingly once the only road open to him was an all-out war).

These type of discussions I take would be allowed only in the section for the upcoming book.

Probably search there.

A Well? Maybe, but I don't think so. Certainly not if one was Severed.

EDIT3: RJ confirmed that one could.

I forgot to ask the follow up question to your reply, is there any confirmation one way or another if a severed channeler could use a well?

Now fo an unrelated question, we know that channelers have some protection against illness, but is it a protection or is it an immunity? If you place channeler A naked in the snow for some hours, work them to death, give them poor food and then place them in a house with allot of sick people just to go to the extreme can they get ill, or are they completely immune due being channelers. Also do this protection or immunity have anything to do with how much they channel? Will an Aes Sedai who uses the Power every day, several times a day get more protection against illness than a male channeler like Owyn who tries to channel only when he absolutely need to?

A Well? Maybe, but I don't think so. Certainly not if one was Severed.

EDIT3: RJ confirmed that one could.

I forgot to ask the follow up question to your reply, is there any confirmation one way or another if a severed channeler could use a well?

Now fo an unrelated question, we know that channelers have some protection against illness, but is it a protection or is it an immunity? If you place channeler A naked in the snow for some hours, work them to death, give them poor food and then place them in a house with allot of sick people just to go to the extreme can they get ill, or are they completely immune due being channelers. Also do this protection or immunity have anything to do with how much they channel? Will an Aes Sedai who uses the Power every day, several times a day get more protection against illness than a male channeler like Owyn who tries to channel only when he absolutely need to?

Well, taking your example, they are not immune to everything. First of all, they would die from exposure just like anyone else (see Aviendha/Rand's little trip to Seanchan). Give them poor food and they will be just as malnourished as anyone (although they may be sustained longer, I don't see any indication of that being the case). Illness is not something we see often in WoT, so it is hard to judge. I can't recall any instances where we have learned of an immunity or greater resistance, but neither have I seen any evidence to the contrary. 

Some indirect indications though would suggest that they have greater immunity to disease and sickness. 

1. They live several times longer than the average person and age much much slower. This would indicate a much better functioning body than the average person. I would imagine that would include the immune system also. 

2. While holding the Power, they have heightened senses and awareness, which again suggests a higher level of body functioning, which may include the immune system. 

3. While holding the Power, they have a greater tolerance to pain and wounds, they can remain conscious or moving for longer than one without the Power. However, the injuries themselves don't go away or the effects slow down, and once the Power is released, it affects them just like any other person. 

4. While pregnancy isn't a sickness, it involves certain qualities of sickness, which Channelling negates, which would suggest a greater resistance to being ill. 

In counterpoint, their bodies are just as fragile as any. It is no harder to strike off their head than a normal person, they aren't any physically stronger than the normal person. They still suffer from the elements and need food and water like any person to survive. 

In all though, I think they DO have a greater resistance to sickness and disease, however, I would hesitate to say they have an immunity to it altogether. 

On the point of sickness however, with Healing, sickness is pretty much a non-existent thing when there are Aes Sedai involved. They can heal anything and everything save death (and some supernatural things like tainted blades etc...) so if they are skilled enough, anything short of death (and the aforementioned exceptions) would be healed. In the White Tower and Tar Valon, sickness is virtually unheard of, so we don't really have an accurate indication of resistance to disease. We also don't know much about the AS outside the Tower, although none seem to grow sick and die, so that may be another point in their favour. 

Edit: Re: Wells 

INTERVIEW: Oct 11th, 2005

QUESTION
Someone asked if someone who was stilled can use a Well.
ROBERT JORDAN
No.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

I know it is mentioned a few times in the books about channelers not getting sick but I do not remember exactly where. I do remember however that Egwene at one point say that she never got sick herself and she is then warned that her immunity would not protect her from Matt's dagger.

3. While holding the Power, they have a greater tolerance to pain and wounds, they can remain conscious or moving for longer than one without the Power. However, the injuries themselves don't go away or the effects slow down, and once the Power is released, it affects them just like any other person.

They have greater pain tolerance when holding the Power? Are you sure I can not remember this. Granted Aes Sedai learn how to remain focused even when in physical discomfort and Rand have his flame and the void which he use to focus on channeling which will reduce how much one experience of physical discomfort, but I can not remember it mentioned that channeling itself makes someone more resistant to pain or that it give them more endurance when wounded, but I can be mistaken here.

I know it is mentioned a few times in the books about channelers not getting sick but I do not remember exactly where. I do remember however that Egwene at one point say that she never got sick herself and she is then warned that her immunity would not protect her from Matt's dagger.

They have greater pain tolerance when holding the Power? Are you sure I can not remember this. Granted Aes Sedai learn how to remain focused even when in physical discomfort and Rand have his flame and the void which he use to focus on channeling which will reduce how much one experience of physical discomfort, but I can not remember it mentioned that channeling itself makes someone more resistant to pain or that it give them more endurance when wounded, but I can be mistaken here.

Egwene was wrong, it was Verin's protection that contained the Dagger. A channeler can be corrupted by the Dagger. 

Perhaps it was worded poorly. The act of Channelling doesn't do anything, but holding the Power makes it easier to ignore wounds. It may be that it is because the Void is required to embrace/seize saidar/saidin and that is it, but there is a correlation between pain tolerance and holding the Power. 

Egwene was wrong, it was Verin's protection that contained the Dagger. A channeler can be corrupted by the Dagger.

That was not my point. My point is that Egwene say she is never getting sick, as in she could teat sick people back home in her village all day and never get sick, that she had an immunity, that was my point, off course she can be corrupted by the dagger.

Perhaps it was worded poorly. The act of Channelling doesn't do anything, but holding the Power makes it easier to ignore wounds. It may be that it is because the Void is required to embrace/seize saidar/saidin and that is it, but there is a correlation between pain tolerance and holding the Power.

Interesting, do you have any quotes about this from the books? For men yes they need something like the void, but women just need concentration and the ability to surrender the the Power.

That was not my point. My point is that Egwene say she is never getting sick, as in she could teat sick people back home in her village all day and never get sick, that she had an immunity, that was my point, off course she can be corrupted by the dagger.

Interesting, do you have any quotes about this from the books? For men yes they need something like the void, but women just need concentration and the ability to surrender the the Power.

1. As I mentioned in my first post, it was likely that they have a better resistance. Resistance however, does not necessarily mean immunity. I think it is a stretch to say they are immune to disease altogether. 

Also, while Egwene did say that, Nynaeve also recalls healing Egwene when she got sick from Breakbone fever in (talking to Moiraine about channelling) so Egwene certainly can get sick. Unless you mean after they start to channel, in which case there is little evidence to show it either way. It might be worth mentioning that they are not resistant to alcohol poisoning :laugh:

Also, women can ignore the pain while holding the Source like men. So it is either a product of holding the Power, or the Void/Oneness. 

Edit: Hold up on the second Point, I will read up a bit on it and get back later, may revise my point.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Also, while Egwene did say that, Nynaeve also recalls healing Egwene when she got sick from Breakbone fever in (talking to Moiraine about channelling) so Egwene certainly can get sick. Unless you mean after they start to channel, in which case there is little evidence to show it either way. It might be worth mentioning that they are not resistant to alcohol poisoning :laugh:

Drunk channelers weehoo. :D Yes I think the immunity would have to come after they have started channeling, every other benefit or drawback to being a channeler only start once the person have crossed over the line and become an active channeler.

Also, women can ignore the pain while holding the Source like men. So it is either a product of holding the Power, or the Void/Oneness. 

Edit: Hold up on the second Point, I will read up a bit on it and get back later, may revise my point.

Okie dokie it will be interesting to see what you figure out. :D

Ok, I'll just continue what we we discussing in my other post instead of editing, so you get a notification that I have replied. 

Here is the description for embracing saidar from tGH 12: Woven in the Pattern 

Now, you must empty yourself. Empty your thoughts. There is only one thing in your mind. The bud of a flower. Only that. Only the bud. You can see it in every detail. You can smell it. You can feel it. Every vein of the leaf, every curve of every petal. You can feel the sap pulsing. Feel it. Know it. Be it. You and the bud are the same. You are one. You are the bud. 

Bold is mine to emphasise the point. Lanfear calls it the Oneness. Which is exactly what this is describing. Instead of a flame of course, it is a flower, but the results are the same whatever you envision, it doesn't have to be a flame. 

Here is a description of Rand and the Void in tGH 1: the Flame of Tar Valon

As he had been taught, Rand formed a single flame in his mind and concentrated on it, tried to feed all emotion and passion into it, to form a void within himself, with even thought outside. Emptiness came. As too often the case of late, it was not a perfect emptiness; the flame still remained, or some sense of light sending ripples through the stillness. But it was enough, barely. The cool peace of the void crept over him, and he was one with the practise sword, with the smooth stones under his boots, even with Lan. All was one. 

The similarities between the two make them, if not exactly the same, at least the same type of technique with the same effects. Both have the main traits of calm, Oneness and a separation from the outside world, an utter focus. 

I agree that they are similar, but the way I see it what Rand do is more similar to Zen mindfulness while what the women do is more akin to deep relaxation and not letting one's mind wander, they are similar yes but while one might shut off pain the other I do not think would be very effective in doing so.