DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

1.  Do Warders live a normal lifespan or is it enhanced at all by the

bond?  (as a side note, how long is a normal life expectancy in the

WoT?)

They have normal lifespans in general but since they have better vitality and keep it longer they should by common medical logic be able to live a bit longer that most people since people do not generally die from old age, one die from illnesses that either often come with age or which become fatal when a person become weakened with age. Now as for life expectancy, in the Two Rivers if I am not completely mistaken there is mentioned a man who is over 90 and that is treated as very rare. I am guessing here but somewhere in their 70s would be my estimate as to average life expectancy.

2.  Why does Nynaeve not have any problem with being bound with the oath

rod when she knows it will drastically reduce her lifespan?  Especially

as her immediate peers, Elayne and Egwene, are not bound by it.

My guess is that when she look forward to a 300+ years lifespan, not getting 600 or more do not seam to be to bad for what she gains in respectability for taking the oaths, also she knows the oaths are reversible so it is not to big a deal.

Question:  Why do Tinkers sic their dogs on attackers? I thought they abhored violence to the point they'd rather let you kill them than raise a hand in defense. They'd rather run away than fight. They even try to convert anyone and everyone they can to the Way of the Leaf. So why do they find it okay to let their dogs attack and potentially kill whoever/whatever is threatening them?

Question:  Why do Tinkers sic their dogs on attackers? I thought they abhored violence to the point they'd rather let you kill them than raise a hand in defense. They'd rather run away than fight. They even try to convert anyone and everyone they can to the Way of the Leaf. So why do they find it okay to let their dogs attack and potentially kill whoever/whatever is threatening them?

The dogs are trained to look and sound intimidating, not to actually attack.

I'm re-reading tGH and have just read the chapter with Nynaeve's testing for Accepted.  My question is, why isn't Nynaeve stilled by channeling during the testing?  And why can she remember more than she should be able to during the test?  Sheriam tells her that women who have channeled in the ter'angreal were burned out/stilled when they came out.  Why doesn't this happen to Nynaeve?

Is there any place in the books that actually mentions whether Moiraine returns to the White Tower after her initial departure in New Spring?  I suppose she'd have to at least once, to acquire Lan's Warder cloak and the angreal she uses to Heal Tam in The Eye of the World.  I just can't remember any actual mention of a visit.

Edited by Lali

Do not recall an explicit mention of Moiraine's return to the White Tower.

Lan mentions being taught by Elyas; Eye of World Chapter 38.  Slight chance of them meeting elsewhere than the White Tower.

A question about something else::

Before Rand balefired Natrin's Barrow, Graendal eavesdropped through a dove by the True Power.  How come neither Rand or Nynaeve seemed to not perceive Graendal's dove?

Do not recall an explicit mention of Moiraine's return to the White Tower.

Lan mentions being taught by Elyas; Eye of World Chapter 38.  Slight chance of them meeting elsewhere than the White Tower.

Before Rand balefired Natrin's Barrow, Graendal eavesdropped through a dove by the True Power.  How come neither Rand or Nynaeve seemed to not perceive Graendal's dove?

I think it was a weave that used the True Power, I'll look for a quote later (unless someone jumps in first)

It was clearly stated that the weave to see through the eyes of the animal was a TP weave.  Read the Towers of Midnight Prologue.  I don't have it handy for a quote.

It was also clearly stated in mb's post: "Graendal eavesdropped through a dove by the True Power." He was asking why they didn't notice the dove, not why they didn't notice the weave.

Probably because it was just a dove - unlike ravens (which are known shadoweyes), there's no particular reason to take note of a dove.

What's the difference between male channeler bonds and female channeler bonds?

I don't think there is any difference.  I think there are three types of bond:

1. Channeler of one gender bonds channeler or non-channeler of other gender.  (This is the normal Warder bond - awareness of each other's direction/distance, emotional state, extra endurance for warder).

2.  Channeler of one gender bonds non-channeler (or channeler, I assume) of the same gender. (This is Elayne's and Birgitte's bond - similar to the normal Warder bond but with more enhanced sharing of emotions).

3.  [deleted]

Edited by BFG
AMOL spoiler

Then how come Alanna can't control Rand but Logain can completely control the women he's bonded to him?

Alanna's lack of control over Rand is an oddity.  The Warder bond should allow the channeler to compel their bondmate using Spirit.  It has been suggested that Alanna could not control Rand because he was holding saidin.  The weave used by Asha'man to bond a Warder was developed separately from the weave used by Aes Sedai to bond a Warder, but is essentially very similar.  The Asha'man bond can also be used to require obedience, but it is not clear whether it is neccessary for the Asha'man to use saidin, or whether it is a permanent feature of the bond.

The AS and Ashaman bonds are different. With AS they need to use spirit to compel the warders and it doesn't work on a strong male channeler.

The Ashaman bond has the compulsion "extra bit" built in where they can compel with a thought, no channeling required. Per RJ the Ashaman experimented with bonding on their wives and as a result know much more about the process.

Edited by Suttree

The first 13 books (and prologue) show these types of Warder bonds::
-female channeler toward a male non-channeler
-male channeler toward a female non-channeler
-female channeler toward a female non-channeler
-female channeler toward a male channeler
-male channeler toward a female channeler
-Elayne's share technique adapted from the Aiel sibling bond
-saidar bond holder passing her bond to another saidar channeler

I imagine to be more types of Warder bonds than what the books show.
these I guess would cover all possible types::
-a channeler of either gender toward a non-channeler of either gender
-a channeler of either gender toward another channeler of either gender
-share technique of any number and any gender combination (with at least 1 channeler) toward a non-channeler
-share technique of any number and any gender combination (with at least 1 channeler) toward a channeler
-a channeling Warder bonding his/her own bond holder/holders
-share technique with a channeling Warder toward the Warder's bond holder/holders
-channeling bond holder passing his/her Warder bond to the Warder
-channeling bond holder passing his/her Warder bond to a non-channeler
-channeling bond holder passing his/her Warder bond to another channeler (though this would be similar to the other types that involve a channeling bond holder)

Edited by mb

Oh, so more "Rand is special" nonsense, gotcha. -___- (sigh)

As Suttree said, it's not Rand. It has to do with the differences between the weaves used. Not only do the weaves vary and were developed independently, but one's saidar and one's saidin. It's pretty straightforward.

They would need to experiment to find the exact cause as to why Rand cannot be compelled through the Bond. Me, I think it is because he is Ta'veren (I know, EmporerAllspice, you don't like that explaination). Rand's destiny is so tightly controlled by the pattern that he cannot be manipulated that way. I bet that if Mat or Perrin were to be Bonded, they would also be immune.

Of course, it could also be as simple as the fact that he is a bonded channeler, and as such has more resistance to Bond Compulsion. His will is so much stronger than Alanna's that she cannot move him. If they were closer to equals in willpower, then she would be able to influence him.

Then how come Alanna can't control Rand but Logain can completely control the women he's bonded to him?

Alanna only tried, as far as we know, when he was holding saidin - men holding the Source cannot be Compelled (that's not speculation, it's outright stated - LoC, the chapter called Threads Woven of Shadow, Sammael's POV). Women do not enjoy the same protection, holding saidar or otherwise. Whether his being ta'veren, his being the Dragon or his having great strength of will would have made him resistant without saidin is unknown, but that alone makes him immune.