DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does it say she "doesn't know" as in she has never met him before...

or just that it is a choice she cannot foresee....

just playing devil's advocate..

As fun as it is to play devil's advocate, I'm pretty sure it's "You, Mat, and a man I do not know" in the letter to Thom.

does it say she "doesn't know" as in she has never met him before...

or just that it is a choice she cannot foresee....

just playing devil's advocate..

the way i read it is that she doesn't know who #3 is. moiraine can't be 100% clear on remembering everything she saw in the ter angreal, like aviendha and the saidar beacon (avi vs elayne about travelling to shadar logoth to see whats happening and avi remembering what she saw in rhuidean).

but, she knows a third is needed. theres nothing to say she knew any hint about mysterious number three, otherwise thom's letter wouldnt it at least hold a hint who that third is, instead of being very oblivious as to the identity? she could of written 'he has white hair' right? the letter doesnt imply she saw the third, only that the 3rd person is not one she knew

the way i read it is that she doesn't know who #3 is. moiraine can't be 100% clear on remembering everything she saw in the ter angreal, like aviendha and the saidar beacon (avi vs elayne about travelling to shadar logoth to see whats happening and avi remembering what she saw in rhuidean).

but, she knows a third is needed. theres nothing to say she knew any hint about mysterious number three, otherwise thom's letter wouldnt it at least hold a hint who that third is, instead of being very oblivious as to the identity? she could of written 'he has white hair' right? the letter doesnt imply she saw the third, only that the 3rd person is not one she knew

This is actually the reason I believe she doesn't know the person. in all the variants she saw, the only possibility is Mat, Thom, and one other. She knew mat and Thom and recognized them. If she'd known the third she could have latched onto that, have had a frame of reference to hold in mind.

But with all the variants she sees, how do you make yourself remember the discription of a man you know nothing about? A name to a face is something you can keep in your mind. but a description fades and twists with memory.

This is actually the reason I believe she doesn't know the person. in all the variants she saw, the only possibility is Mat, Thom, and one other. She knew mat and Thom and recognized them. If she'd known the third she could have latched onto that, have had a frame of reference to hold in mind.

But with all the variants she sees, how do you make yourself remember the discription of a man you know nothing about? A name to a face is something you can keep in your mind. but a description fades and twists with memory.

you both stumped the devil's advocate...

lol...good work

Lan gathering the borderlanders, specifically those descended from Malkier on his ride from the End of the World - and possibly his uniting with Itrualde (sp)

Mat and Thom's rescue of Moraine.

Perrin and Galad resolving the issue of the Whitecloaks as a force for good.

Elayne and Morgase's reunion. And then her reunion with Rand.

The resolution of what has been happening at the Black Tower and the division in it resolved (a la the White Tower in tGS), specifically Logain handling Tain.

Where's Damndred?

Padan Fain and Slayer's game of mouse and cat.

Avi's trip through the glass cloumns which has GOT to have some significance, possibly bringing things full circle with the Tinkers.

There is more as well, smaller plot points and the wrapping up of loose ends... I can honestly say I have never, ever anticipated a book being released as much as ToM, not even tGS. I think I just might go insane between now and then (Rand insane, not like... Fain insane).

The identity of Gaidal Cain.

i always thought that Gaidal was going to show up when the horn is sounded again and Brigitte would not know who he was, showing he did not survive without her and that her biggest fear has come true, that she forgot him.  kinda a morbid thought, but i always thought that reading.

Am I the only one who thinks it's relatively obvious that Oliver is probably Gaidal Cain?

The identity of Gaidal Cain.

i always thought that Gaidal was going to show up when the horn is sounded again and Brigitte would not know who he was, showing he did not survive without her and that her biggest fear has come true, that she forgot him.  kinda a morbid thought, but i always thought that reading.

Am I the only one who thinks it's relatively obvious that Oliver is probably Gaidal Cain?

RJ already said he wasn't, so...

Bela is clearly Tamyrlin returned to refound the Hall of Servants. None of the Aes Sedai in the rebel camp know because Bela channels Saidin and they were busy with the forsaken in a female body, they never thought to look for male-aes-sedai in an equine's. That's also how Bela killed Asmodean - he didn't see it coming, and what could be more surprising than a horse nose in a pantry. She also may or may not have saved Graendal with a secret reverse bale-fire weave which Bela may or may not have. It is all part of her secret mission to find the last true peach tree and trick Demandred into eating it thus triggering another secret weave Bela may or may not have which will force Demandred and Taim to switch bodies, thus making Taim Demandred.

Bela is clearly Tamyrlin returned to refound the Hall of Servants. None of the Aes Sedai in the rebel camp know because Bela channels Saidin and they were busy with the forsaken in a female body, they never thought to look for male-aes-sedai in an equine's. That's also how Bela killed Asmodean - he didn't see it coming, and what could be more surprising than a horse nose in a pantry. She also may or may not have saved Graendal with a secret reverse bale-fire weave which Bela may or may not have. It is all part of her secret mission to find the last true peach tree and trick Demandred into eating it thus triggering another secret weave Bela may or may not have which will force Demandred and Taim to switch bodies, thus making Taim Demandred.

Best. Reply. Ever.

Completely plausible.

I fully expect Taim to be revealed as one of the new Forsaken, and it to revealed that he made his own trip to SG to bask in the DO's presence. Whether forcibly turned or not, I think he is a peer to remaining Forsaken and not a servant. I expect Taim to kill one of the remaining Forsaken.

All i know is i started a re-read, and im excited to see the Grey Fox back in action. Tom throwing knives like Nolan Ryan at Trollocs, taking a Fade on straight up, decapitating the head of a King. Hes been pretty subtle since then with a flourish here and there, but i truly hope we get to see Tom fighting for his women in the next book.... I like the dream as well of Tom grabbing Morianes stone out of the fire.

So my speculation for the next book, Tom Super Kicks the Finn's, then takes Moriane for a little slap n tickle.

Well, I'm excited for ToM. One of the things I liked most about tGS was that some characters started to take their heads out of the butts and finally talk and act sense.

All still have a way to go, but here were encouraging sings, and I look forward to more progress in ToM.

1. Rand.

Progress: finally dropped the hard as steel plan. Laughed.

Needs: Tears. Be a better leader. Communicate and cooperate with your allies. Care for the land. Get a clue as to how to win/fight the last Battle. Realize it might not be all about a battle.

2. Ewgene.

Progress: came a long a way as a leader. Realizes Rand doesn't like to be bullied.

Needs: still thinks he needs to be guided. Needs to deal with Gawyn. Needs to straighten out the Oaths and AS deference pronto.

3. Nynaeve.

Progress: realized Rand is no fool. Showed she can follow orders when needed.

Needs: I think she's come the farthest of anyone.

4. Mat.

Progress: finally stopped running.

Needs: Come to grips with Tuon and being Prince of the Ravens (ask Egeanin) and how to get the Horn.

5. Perrin.

Progress: Finally accepted he's a lord.

Needs: Come to grips with the wolf, ask Elyas! Listen to Hopper a bit.

6. Gawyn.

Progress: realizing his mother isn't a goddess.

Needs: Drop the silly Rand hate (would he stupidly kill Rand before the Last Battle, not much good for Andor, then). Find out Morgase is alive should help.

All i know is i started a re-read, and im excited to see the Grey Fox back in action. Tom throwing knives like Nolan Ryan at Trollocs, taking a Fade on straight up, decapitating the head of a King. Hes been pretty subtle since then with a flourish here and there, but i truly hope we get to see Tom fighting for his women in the next book.... I like the dream as well of Tom grabbing Morianes stone out of the fire.

So my speculation for the next book, Tom Super Kicks the Finn's, then takes Moriane for a little slap n tickle.

You post is absolutely awesome!! Had me giggling the whole night!!

Mind blowing!

To say the least  8)

Archived