DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 1 - Spoilers - First Impressions, Thoughts

bscuga

I gotta say that I liked it a lot, and i'd say it was mostly Brandon with some RJ guidance in the mix. I enjoy Mistborn so I'm not worried about it all that much, and it really was good as far as first chapters go. It's definitely clear now that Rand an Egwene are headed for a huge falling out, or at the least a Cold War-type situation. Not only Rand's comment on Egwene, but Lews Therin's musings on The Fateful Accord make this all but certain.  My initial thought on the sword was that it was Turak's, but that doesn't really make sense so I'd say it's either an Aiel memory thing or maybe Justice. I don't think Justice was ever properly described though. Definitely looking forward to the prologue an the rest of the book though.

While Rand is right to be wary of Egwene given how much she has embraced her role and who credulous she is about Rand's "atrocities" I was surprised by how vehement he was.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick thoughts:

1. Its a new sword, not Laman's.  It was clearly given to him by the Domani.  Thus, it was something they dug up in Arad Doman very recently.  It could be a couple swords.  My off-the-wall guess is that it is Justice.  The only other description we have of Justice is of it unsheathed at Toman Head so there is no indications of what its scabbard looked like.  It could also be Guaire Amalasian's sword (more of a long shot) as he was from the Arad Doman area originally.  It could even be LTT's sword and that is why it is odd that LTT didn't recognize it.

2. Rand is completely and utterly mad at this point.  Anything from his POV should be taken with a grain of salt.  Cleansing Saidin sent him over the edge with Taint Madness.  Considering no one in history had ever channeled that much saidin in that short of a time, its no real surprise.  He basically sacrificed his own sanity for the rest of the world and specifically male channelers.  

3. Rand is not in a good place right now and he would lose TG if it were to start right now.  He is broken and he doesn't even realize it.

4. It was clearly 100% Brandon's work.  The prose was different.  It was jarring at first but it became less noticeable after I got into it.  BS uses descriptive words that RJ never would have used and that's okay.  Its his work now too.  I had to ask myself, "Am I annoyed that it is poorly written or that it doesn't sound like RJ?"  Once I realized it was the latter issue and not the writing itself, I was okay.  I think the book will be very good and that once one gets into the story, they will be fine regardless of the style of prose.

You know the best way to torture Semi...Make her read the first chapter of TGS and ask her to wait 2 more months for the whole books....She'll craxk definitely...

Loved the chapter...Best part was it was Rand's PoV..his voice sounded a bit different to me bcoz i think he was explaining too much..But on the whole it was really good.Acc. to me the sword is Justice..i remember Rand pointing it out when the horn was sounded in Falme.GO RAND!!!!!I JUST CANT WAIT!!!!

In a way, I am quite glad that the sample we get is one so obviously written by Brandon. It shows us what we can expect from now on.

Now, while there are some oddities in the style that seems a bit off, they are overshadowed by a good flow. Brandon has found a voice that, while clearly different from RJs, works great for the story.

The sword...It seems doubtful that it would be LTTs own sword, because of the word 'centuries'. If LTTs sword still exists, it has been buried for nearly three thousand years, that is quite a few centuries.

And also, how would Rand recognize that sword without drawing the memory from LTT?

Justice does seem like one of the better guesses, but why would it be odd that recognising that was Rands memory and not LTTs?

I guess we will have to RAFO. And perhaps we will find out sooner than expected, looking at the "warning" that there is a short scene in the prologue taking place before this chapter. Rand getting the sword seems to me being one of the better candidates for this scene.

Finally Rand is starting to try to talk to LTT about what happened during the strike at SG.

At first, Rand outburst at Egwene seemed a bit off for me, especially after the deal he made in KOD. Just weeks ago he was perfectly happy to trust Egwenes Aes Sedai with bonding nearly 50 asha'man, and now he talks about her as if she were Elaida? But the end of the chapter put it in a different light. Rand may not have been a poster boy for mental health since TGH, but now he is almost as bad as LTT. And looking at Jasons review, Rand will get even worse later in the book. Ouch!

wait where is chapter one? is it that thing about the people making weapons out of their farming tools?  it s been a while

here you go: http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=641

It seems very good, though the beginning seemed so like a tease, first at the Tower, then over to the Rebel camp, finally setting in in Arad Doman. Which is great too, of course ;D. The prose was noticeably not RJ, but I got used to the flow. It is BS's voice, and it fits WoT well.

One positive thing about Rand, that I inferred, perhaps I am wrong, but at least he trusts those around him enough that he is open about his suspicions to them, enough to doubt Egwene to Nynaeve. This of course may also be a bad thing. However, I think the latent suspicion he has held back, it is more in the open and can better be addressed by those around him. He is certainly going through a rough patch, though, now he is thinking of using Min as he thought of Perrin and Mat way back. It's great that he knew about Ituralde's actions in the south, though of course he doesn't know part of his purpose is to have the Seanchan attack Arad Doman quick and hard. I wonder how Graendal will react to inevitably hearing of Rand's troops there.

I like how he changed, "I don't understand women" to "I don't need to understand them to use them." Really shows you how much he's changed. Good to know his eyesight is improving. He has enough problems as it is.

I think he's right in not trusting Egwene. Everyone is being selfish except him. Egwene thinks, "The future of the White Tower", Elayne thinks, "he future of Andor", Perrin thinks, "Faile". Rand is the only one thinking "Tarmon Gai'don", the only one focussed. Mat doesn't really think, he just seems to get pushed around his story arc rather than step round, but that's fine with me.

My feeling is that Min will understand what was meant by Herid Fel's note and will tell Rand how to do up the Bore. Another theory of mine is that Isam was a wolfbrother who was darkhound-ified, which would explain his crazy wolfhunting, and his weird smell. That's just my pet evidence-less loony theory though.

Yes he exaggerated a bit there but the point is he cant trust Egwene because if he goes to her he will have to get involved with the whole Aes sedai vs Aes Sedai...He is more focused on getting the Seanchan treaty and making north,east,south,west as one..If he approaches Egwene she will propbably think it will be best for him to let the Aes Sedai handle the treaty etc which will never happen before TG

Just read Chapter 1. It's definately written in Brandon's voice but the spirit is still RJ's.

Had a little trouble getting over the change but once I did a thoroughly enjoyed it. The sword I agree is Justice. Which might be just the gift which he needs to give to Tuon to cement their truce.

I read the chapter early this morning; sometime after midnight. I didn't really notice Sanderson's Footprint. But then I never actually read any but The Path of Daggers and A Crown of Swords. All the rest I've listened to being read by Michael Kramer and his wife Kate Reading.

SO... this afternoon I've just listened to this first chapter and once again, I feel no footprint of Brandon at all. This first is done from a male POV so Kramer does the reading and he continues to deliver the goods in fine style. It seems seamless to me and has the same feel.

Now I'm not one to parse every single little thing, nor do I bother to look for stylistic difference. So I'm not going to notice anything unless it's a huge faux pas. Due to the fact that nothing whatsoever leaps at me from the page I've decided, For Me to forget that there is a different person doing the physical labor of continuing this series and simply revel in this story that I've grown to love so well.

Any of you who go looking for trouble faults. Well I'm sure you'll find something to whine about. And you have my sympathy, you poor pitiable creatures. Maybe if you're lucky someone will creep up and knock you on the head in your sleep.

Definitely Brandon's work My Hairy Arse.. If they said this was stuff found in some basement closet not a bleedin' one of you would have a clue it wasn't Jordan.. Give Me A Break.. Where Am I on a planet entirely populated by Book Editors? Pleeeeeze.

Any of you who go looking for trouble. Well I'm sure you'll find something to whine about. And you have my sympathy, you poor pitiable creatures. Maybe if you're lucky someone will creep up and knock you on the head in your sleep.

Definitely Brandon's work My Hairy Arse.. If they said this was stuff found in some basement closet not a bleedin' one of you would have a clue it wasn't Jordan.. Give Me A Break.. Where Am I on a planet entirely populated by Book Editors? Pleeeeeze.

It's clearly obvious to some of us that Robert Jordan did not write it. There's no need to be rude about a difference of opinion.

You may be correct. I can understand that.

But I don't think these people here are saying that they would be able to recognize it as Sanderson's work (or not Jordan's) even had they not known it to be. I believe they are saying that, having the knowledge that it actually is Sanderson's writing, it is easy to differentiate from Jordan's. Which I happen to agree with.

That is not something said with a mean spirit, by someone who has gone "looking for trouble." That is simply a subjective observation.

So I don't think it deserves as harsh a sentence as you have prescribed.

I should add that I don't think you were intentionally rude. You were simply forceful in your opinion. However, it is easy to find offense in what you have said.

lol.. It's easy to find offense in most things I say!  ;D

Especially if I've decided to hang around debates, discussions and "unsupported opinion" threads for any time on any given day.

"looking for trouble" was a poor choice of phrase. Looking for faults, might be more accurate. But there it is.

Yeah.. my outbursts tend to be ummmm.... forceful :D    Fortunately for me they're rare

To Auld Manriva, no one who has mentioned seeing a difference between Sanderson and Jordan's styles has been rude or mean about it, we are just commenting on our reactions. I think Sanderson did a great job, I just don't think he writes in the same style as Jordan.

Especially if I've decided to hang around debates, discussions and "unsupported opinion" threads for any time on any given day.

"looking for trouble" was a poor choice of phrase. Looking for faults, might be more accurate. But there it is.

Yeah.. my outbursts tend to be ummmm.... forceful :D    Fortunately for me they're rare

It's alright... those Discussion threads are enough to make my blood boil too some times. If you haven't noticed, there is a lot of "unsupported opinion." And then when someone actually supports their opinion, most of the posters neglect to read it and claim they've disproven it.

If you didn't know, they've actually disproved religion several times over in the Debates and Discussions Board...  ::)

It really was obvious that this chapter was written by Brandon.  It didn't feel right to me.  It seemed like he was trying to do a Jordan intro in his own style and it just didn't work for me.

LTT seemed whiney, not insane.  It felt like Sanderson tried being too clear in places ("...cuendillar, called heartstone by some..." or "Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle...")  If people don't know what cuendillar or Tarmon Gai'don are by the 12th book, then there's probably a lot more they need to worry about than that stuff.  Even Jordan had stopped doing stuff like that around books 6 & 7.  The description of what happened along the winds path felt choppy.  There was a ton of stuff going on in TV then all of a sudden the wind was back and moving on, it hit the Caralain Grass and boom, it was in Arad Doman.  And he used words that didn't seem to "fit" the WoT (garbage was the word that stood out the most to me, but there were others).

There is more that I didn't really care for, but I don't want anyone to think I dislike Brandon's writing.  He does a fine job, but his style just isn't WoT IMHO.

Don't bother responding to this...I probably won't be able to see your replies till after the book comes out because I have limited internet access.

I know you said not to respond, but i just had to point out that RJ did re-explain all the little quirks of WOT in almost every book. It's actually one of the few qualms I have with the series, but I totally understand why it has to be done and it could be helpful to some. This isn't a Brandon thing for sure though. I thought the intro/ wind scene was really good. I liked how it just kinda dipped in at Tar Valon to remind peolpe who haven't read or kept up with the series for the last 5 years. It was really cinematic imo.

The fact of Brandon having a different writing style than RJ isn't a fault, so that isn't really the right word either.  As Brandon himself said if he attempted to mimic RJ's style too closely it would come off as parody.  Brandon wasn't trying to mimic RJ's style so fans shouldn't be surprised if they notice a difference, nor should they be astounded at how noticeable the difference is.

The sword...It seems doubtful that it would be LTTs own sword, because of the word 'centuries'. If LTTs sword still exists, it has been buried for nearly three thousand years, that is quite a few centuries.

And also, how would Rand recognize that sword without drawing the memory from LTT?

Justice does seem like one of the better guesses, but why would it be odd that recognising that was Rands memory and not LTTs?

It makes the most sense that it is Artur Hawkwing's sword, Justice. The reason why it is odd that it was from Rand's memory not LTT's is because LTT has fought with and against Hawkwing as Hawkwing said in TGH after Mat blew the Horn of Valere. However, it was Rand's own memories of being there that made him recognize the sword.

As I started to read the chapter, I guess it finally dawned on me that Mr. Jordan is gone but I believe Mr. Sanderson is the right person to do the job. I've been re-reading the WoT books a lot recently so it took a little time to get used to Sanderson's still, but he did a good job, which unfortunately made me more anxious for TGS.

On a side note: I loved Rand's PoV. He's my fifth favorite ta'avern (after Artur Hawkwing and LTT) but I have to admit, I kinda love Rand right now. He's trying to make himself as strong as he can be but he's also making himself a little vulnerable. The part where he audibly speaks to LTT was perfect.

For those who don't like Sanderson's style, I'd advise to wait until the book is released in it's entirety before you make judgments. Jason loved it in his spoiler-less review of the book so don't judge a book by its cover (that goes for all WoT books) or the first chapter.

This first chapter made me even more excited for the end of October when we can purchase The Gathering Storm. The opening pages and descriptions of the Wind from the Dark One,… the dialogue with Rand to Lews Therin, .. with Rand to Min, and with Rand to Cadsuane and Nynaeve… and then Rand cursing and talking out loud to the Kinslayer, Lews Therin, right there in the presence of Min, Cadsuane, Nynaeve, and Alvia. To me, this was all excellent work by Brandon Sanderson.

Archived