DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 1 - Spoilers - First Impressions, Thoughts

bscuga

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could men have destroyed the swords that were Power-Wrought?  We've seen on numerous occasions that nothing seems to harm them and we've been told how strong Power-Wrought stuff is.

I'm sure there is a way to destroy it as if there was not then the world would literally be filled with those items. But, they don't know how to do it now, so as to answer your question, they prolly have just been lost over time. Not matter how valuable they are over a long period of time things get lost. They get put in a storeroom no one knows about, a wielder dies in a remote location, the confusion of the succession gets it misplaced, a thief gets it, ect. Not only that, alot of the originals from the AoL prolly sit at either the bottom of the ocean or in lands that randlanders do not visit often (such as shara, land of madmen, blight, a continent we know nothing about, ect.)

So even if many were made in the 10 years of the war of power it is not unlikely many were just simply lost.

How could men have destroyed the swords that were Power-Wrought?  We've seen on numerous occasions that nothing seems to harm them and we've been told how strong Power-Wrought stuff is.

Stong, they are. Indestructible? No. We see Rands blade completely melted off when he stabs Ishy. So there are ways to destroy them. Those ways probably take the OP though. But still, they aren't Cuendillar.

Hey guys, just sifted through the first 13 pages of thoughts, rants, and impressions.

I agree, it seems different, but I don't care, I still love it, just as I love works by other authors.

A few things that were concluded for me in this chapter:

1.  Graendal killed Asmodean

2.  Rand's new toy is Justice

3.  Nynaeve will reveal to Cadsuane that she knows compulsion and they will use it on Semhirage

Hey guys, just sifted through the first 13 pages of thoughts, rants, and impressions.

I agree, it seems different, but I don't care, I still love it, just as I love works by other authors.

3.  Nynaeve will reveal to Cadsuane that she knows compulsion and they will use it on Semhirage

How do you know Nynaeve will know compulsion? Because Moggy taught Egwene? or because that's she got Lan to marry/fall in love with her?

Personally,I hope the sword issue is moot and that Rand can actually channel throughout a whole book without getting sick or scared.

The sickness may be fading--the link between Rand and Moridin is growing stronger, and it seems when it is really strong it does not induce the nausea that the weaker version caused.

I doubt the fear of LTT siezing the source will just go away--besides, he may actually do so.

How do you know Nynaeve will know compulsion? Because Moggy taught Egwene? or because that's she got Lan to marry/fall in love with her?

re: 1. Graendal killed Asmodean

Eh, my opinion on it isn't exactly strong, but I figured I'd start it off my comments with a dead horse.  Also, to allay more theories on it Brandon may just make tons of blatant hints in this book.  I think one of those blatant hints is Asmodean and Graendal in the same collection of thoughts from Rand.

re: 2.  Rand's new toy is Justice

No one asked about this, but I just finished reading the other thread, guess it has been confirmed.

re:  3. Nynaeve, Cadsuane, Semi and compulsion

I guess it's is not 100% that Nynaeve knows compulsion.  However, it stands to reason that she picked it up as one of the things they wouldn't tell the AS, I believe a comment to that effect was made in an Elayne POV.

Sigh, Rand is a paranoid schizophrenic :(  He needs Mat and Perrin really really bad.  Is Perrin's 2nd moment of need coming up in this book?

You know what I found interesting? I thought it strange that Rand thought of his need for Min's love and support as "using" her. In that sense, doesn't everyone who loves and needs another person "use" them? Human interactions themselves are generally about "using", or a give-and-take sort of relationship. Why would he feel guilty about needing Min? That is what makes her happy in the first place: she wants to be needed by him. He swept her off her feet in Book 8 when he told her that he needed her, just because he needed her (rather than for her viewings). I just thought this a strange way of thinking, even though we know Rand is starting to go over the edge.

its reasonable , the wondergirls dont often keep things from one another, and knowing a weave for the purpose of being able to recognize and counter it is a good idea in theory.

Interesting that at the end of his latest blog Sanderson says:

"People have asked me how much of the first chapter is me and how much is Mr. Jordan. I'm going to avoid saying anything specific until all three books are out, at which time I'll ask Harriet for permission to go into more depth on some of the sections and talk about why I did what I did. I can say this, however."

Yet earlier states the following and confirms what most had suspected:

"I wouldn't say the first chapter is boring—I hope not to write boring chapters—but it's also not the most dynamic chapter, as it's fulfilling other purposes."

Brandon let the cat of the bag there  ;D

Interesting that at the end of his latest blog Sanderson says:

"People have asked me how much of the first chapter is me and how much is Mr. Jordan. I'm going to avoid saying anything specific until all three books are out, at which time I'll ask Harriet for permission to go into more depth on some of the sections and talk about why I did what I did. I can say this, however."

Yet earlier states the following and confirms what most had suspected:

"I wouldn't say the first chapter is boring—I hope not to write boring chapters—but it's also not the most dynamic chapter, as it's fulfilling other purposes."

Brandon let the cat of the bag there  ;D

Not neccesarily.

Personally,I hope the sword issue is moot and that Rand can actually channel throughout a whole book without getting sick or scared.

The sickness may be fading--the link between Rand and Moridin is growing stronger, and it seems when it is really strong it does not induce the nausea that the weaker version caused.

I doubt the fear of LTT siezing the source will just go away--besides, he may actually do so

I never knew the sickness was an effect of the Rand/Moridin link.I must admit when I'm reading I get too caught up in the story and miss certain things.

I would have mixed feelings if LTT went away.I enjoy the insights and instincts(not to mention the usages of the Power in a battle:Deathgates=priceless)that he sometimes provides.Maybe LTT taking over in the final showdown with the DO would have a better chance than Rand and fulfill some of the prophecy.

Jason's review of tGS seems to hint that Rand will be dealing with some of  these issues.

Edit:When you said "he may actually do so",I thought you meant go away, Duh!You meant seizing the power.At least my misguided missive still addressed this accidentally.

Although Brandon said:  "I wouldn't say the first chapter is boring—I hope not to write boring chapters—but it's also not the most dynamic chapter, as it's fulfilling other purposes", I don't think that you can infer that he specifically wrote the entire chapter. 

I suspect when he gets to a section that Robert Jordan has written, it still needs to be edited and fleshed out.  I recall reading somewhere (on his blog) that there might be sections that have 17 pages completed out of the 20 pages needed to complete the entire section whereas other sections might have 3 pages of completed material and Brandon needs to complete the remaining 17 pages.  In either case, I think Brandon completes the missing areas of the section and then also most likely reviews and edits the Robert Jordan completed section for continuity.  Obviously, both portions are edited by the editor (Harriet).

Although it appears that the fandom collectively thinks that Brandon wrote chapter 1, I suspect that some of it was written by Robert Jordan (not including the first paragraph).  Regardless, I personally did not notice who wrote what section(s) because I was enthralled with the story and was excited about the new material.  I like to view my lack notice of who wrote what as the circle of completion.  It is similar to how one can read a misspelled document and still understand it perfectly.  I am reading for the story and am happy to see it complete, so I don't mind who wrote what section as long as the plot (on a macro level) is not changed. 

I started the chapter in quite a bad mood as I felt that some of the things written were way out of RJ's style and would never be found in a WoT book. As it went on though I found myself forgetting the style and just enjoying the chapter. Enjoyed it overall.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've read the chapter and have a few points to make...

1. You're reading my comment?

2. Now you're saying/thinking that's a stupid fact.

4. You didn't notice that I skipped 3.

5. You're checking it now.

6. You're smiling.

7. You're still reading my comment.

8. You know all you have read is true.

10. You didn't notice that I skipped 9 too.

11. You're checking it now.

12. You didn't even notice there are only 10 facts.

well... I didn't say I would make sense

/claps

That was great. You were right on all of them. As for the chapter, I really liked it despite the different style and think some of it just seemed weird cause Brandon was trying to reintroduce certain aspects of the series.

Archived