DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 1 - Spoilers - First Impressions, Thoughts

bscuga

I guess I'm trying to ask my Mr. All-Aes-Sedai-must-Die would deem to wield a power wrought weapon. He's so dead set against the AS in the end that he sends his son out to form a country that enslaves channlers. I certainly don't think Artur would have a dragon scabbard either since the Hawk was his symbol. I just don't think we know enough about Justice to make this claim. We don't know if Justice was a Katana or a Longsword. We don't know if his AS paranoia would permit him to use a power wrought sword, I mean you don't see any WC's with those now do you?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again the strategy of the light seems flawed.  Semirrhage is captured and we all know is at risk of being rescued.  Rand does not want to torture her, they want to question her.  Obviously if they want to get any weaves from her she needs to still be able to channel.  Why not have Rand sever her and nyneave heal her and then shield her.  This would make her much weaker in the power and hence much safer to keep captured.

Maybe that's why it was burred, but I don't necessarily think that hating Aes Sedai would mean that you'd throw away an item which carries with it a lot of prestige because of the association with AS.

Originally, before Ishy manipulated / screwed with Hawkwing (the very sudden change of policy suggests compulsion) he was very much in favour of AS and they were becoming integrated into his Kingdom. Ishy's causing Hawkwing to make war on the WT is one of the major reasons for their current isolation from the rest of the world, and the pervasive distrust/hate for them in the world, particularly the south. It was probably Ishy's master-stroke.

"There were ten of them in the camp, though only Flynn, Naeff and Narishma were full Asha'man."

Perhaps it's a typo, the chapter is full of them, but I don't remember an Asha'man named Naeff at all.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Naeff is going to be like an extra in the opening scene of the original Star Trek....soon to be toast.

I agree that Sanderson wrote it, just doesn't have the feel of RJ.  Nor should it, of course, it's not bad, just "different".  But to be honest, even if it were horribly written, I would read it just to get the story.  I've read books that were poorly written that had a good story (anyone read much Tom Clancy?) and books that were wonderfully written and I hated the stories (Stephen King).

I printed it out for my sons, who introduced me to this series, and I was surprised, they acted as if I were handing them a red adder.  They both say they will wait until the book comes out.  One even says he will wait until ALL THREE come out....much more patient that I am, I can't wait!!

Demandred in disguise?

But it's probably a new character Rand picked up somehow (at the Black Tower for example). I guess it will be in the prologue.

I guess I'm trying to ask my Mr. All-Aes-Sedai-must-Die would deem to wield a power wrought weapon. He's so dead set against the AS in the end that he sends his son out to form a country that enslaves channlers. I certainly don't think Artur would have a dragon scabbard either since the Hawk was his symbol. I just don't think we know enough about Justice to make this claim. We don't know if Justice was a Katana or a Longsword. We don't know if his AS paranoia would permit him to use a power wrought sword, I mean you don't see any WC's with those now do you?

He wasn't always an Aes Sedai hater. That only went to its extreme after Ishamael became his advisor. He could well have thrown away Justice after Ishamael's arrival.

All this back and forth about what is Brandon's and what is RJ's is foolishness and I agree with the poster who said if they tried they would have to move to the isle of madmen.  Nice to see Rand's suspicion in the open about Egwene and I agree there will be more sparks than just "knowing the amarlyn's anger" because the talk about the Fateful Accord and that in some measue contributing to the failure can't just be words.  It will be nice whenever we get around to it to seeing Egwene's thoughts of Rand; probably more Rand compelled sisters, taveren is no excuse, this is all his fault, blah, blah.  I think the sword is Justice, I mean how would Rand himself with no assistance from LTT recognize any special sword but justice unless it's the sword of the Sun or something.

All this back and forth about what is Brandon's and what is RJ's is foolishness and I agree with the poster who said if they tried they would have to move to the isle of madmen.  Nice to see Rand's suspicion in the open about Egwene and I agree there will be more sparks than just "knowing the amarlyn's anger" because the talk about the Fateful Accord and that in some measue contributing to the failure can't just be words.  It will be nice whenever we get around to it to seeing Egwene's thoughts of Rand; probably more Rand compelled sisters, taveren is no excuse, this is all his fault, blah, blah.  I think the sword is Justice, I mean how would Rand himself with no assistance from LTT recognize any special sword but justice unless it's the sword of the Sun or something.

A sword he saw in the ter'angreal in Rhuidean. That no other sword but Callandor was mentioned, doesn't mean there wasn't any other sword seen by Rand.

@Majsju: I wouldn't be surprised that this is a winner of win-a-name. Still, it's curious that a new Asha'man appears at his side.

A sword he saw in the ter'angreal in Rhuidean. That no other sword but Callandor was mentioned, doesn't mean there wasn't any other sword seen by Rand.

@Majsju: I wouldn't be surprised that this is a winner of win-a-name. Still, it's curious that a new Asha'man appears at his side.

Well, Rand had Logain bring a bunch of new Ashaman from the Black Tower to Arad Doman such I guess its entirely possible that Naeff came that way.  Its surprising that Rand would allow a relative unknown that close to him, especially considering Logain's warnings about Taim and his special classes for all the full Ashaman not named Logain.  Maybe he was raised from Dedicated during the Prologue and he was one of Logain's followers?

He seems like the classic Red Shirt character for this book.

There are so many unkowns regarding the sword that it could be absolutely anything.

-Justice

-The 3rd powerful sa'angreal

-Guaire Amalasan's or some other False Dragon's sword

-A past king or general's sword

By the way is anything mentioned about Eawynd's sword in the books?

I believe the name "Eawynd" is only mentioned once. That is in (oh boy here it comes) The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time.

otherwise known as the BWBOBA.

BWB is the typical abbreviation...though it was interesting to see it spelled out like that.

There are so many unkowns regarding the sword that it could be absolutely anything.

It isn't that.

I don't think it is either, but you can't say that for certain.

Unless Rand himself doesn't realize it is one. He seems pretty knowledgeable about such things though.

So I'm as certain as I can be without the rest of the book being out. :)

It isn't that.

Unless Rand himself doesn't realize it is one. He seems pretty knowledgeable about such things though.

Rand would automatically know it as soon as he touched it...if it were angrael/sa'angrael.  That's how he found the fat man angrael.

It isn't that.

Rand would automatically know it as soon as he touched it...if it were angrael/sa'angrael.  That's how he found the fat man angrael.

Yes. I know.

See what I did there was known as.....Nevermind. :) lol

It isn't that.

Yes. I know.

Cute, but the fact is Rand doesn't say he doesn't recognise it as one. He thinks on needing to go to saidin directly, instead of reaching for a sword, but it's not conclusive.

You be as certain as you want, I'm fair certain too, but you don't have the basis to state it as fact.

It isn't that.

Yes. I know.

Cute, but the fact is Rand doesn't say he doesn't recognise it as one. He thinks on needing to go to saidin directly, instead of reaching for a sword, but it's not conclusive.

You be as certain as you want, I'm fair certain too, but you don't have the basis to state it as fact.

True enough.

Ah, the anticipation. I fear I'm not much good for pre-book speculation. All excitement now, but now one must wait a month and a half.... Instead, before the reading, here is a fitting poem, I think, translated, for when the book comes out:

More Light, Nothing Else (Enemmän valoa, ei muuta)

As descends the fabric in old, very old drawings, or grey snow in folds upon a slanting skylight window, casting into the room a dark, evasive light; so descend memories upon my morning more alive than anything experienced.

When paper avoids all writing and lazily absorbs only spilt coffee, these memories wander without care for else, never coming near enough, with shivering feet, in their greys, spilling out like oil in water, air in heat upon a noisy heater, and smile their words from which they will not part.

This brings to me a withered orange grove, in a land where these trees do not grow, and this brings to me the echoes of diligent hands in a long ago shut down monastery, and sitting at length on a bench entwined by ivy in a park the kinds of which are not found here, so high and old that on their lichen one smells the shabby robes of druids, the journeys of long fingers on healing leaves.

This is my moment. So very short. There I linger.

Archived