DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

'Towers of Midnight' progress bar

mb

Brandon declines to discuss the details of his contract with the Jordan estate, but he is compensated fairly for his efforts. And that's all I know. =)

IIRC Brandon once commented that the initial contract was for a single manuscript of "at least 200,000 words" or some such thing, and then when he got the notes and realized exactly what the scope of the project would be, he had a "what did I get myself into" moment. Or something like that. I'm sure that the contract's been modified since then to more accurately reflect the size of the job, especially with the decision to split AMoL, unless the original contract had a stipulation for this (or the splitting into 3 books doesn't affect how much his work is worth if he's getting a set percentage of whatever comes out with his name on it).

Additionally, if I were Brandon or his agent, I wouldn't have signed any deal for the WOT novels that didn't give him the rights to a percentage of the total royalties. That way it wouldn't be like agreeing to fix your neighbor's washing machine for $20 only to have it take you six weeks and cost you $60 for parts.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope no one gets offended by this and i know its not realy relevent because hes doing these books because he loves WoT, but what sort of money would Brandon Sanderson be making to complete this series?

The american sort, probably.  :P

I hope no one gets offended by this and i know its not realy relevent because hes doing these books because he loves WoT, but what sort of money would Brandon Sanderson be making to complete this series?

I asked this question over on his own boards in this thread.

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=7270.msg160478#msg160478

His assistant answered and said he gets lump sum advance and a percentage of the royalties...a good sized chunk of change, but he won't get anywhere near as much for the WoT books as he will for his own books if they do well.

300,000 Gold Crowns. Andoran Weight.

300,000 Gold Crowns. Andoran Weight.

Hmmmm, I guess he wasn't able to haggle and get it converted to Tar Valon gold crowns?

His assistant answered and said he gets lump sum advance and a percentage of the royalties...a good sized chunk of change, but he won't get anywhere near as much for the WoT books as he will for his own books if they do well.

Of course The Gathering Storm sold about a million copies and the best sales for his own books are substantially less (I believe he has stated that his best selling book sold about a fifth of what TGS sold). Moreover, there is an interview or article with him that came out when he was choosen to finish WOT in which he stated about the same that his assistant said and that he was very happy with the contract. Plus, you got to remember that one of the reasons that a young author would have accepted the job of finishing the WOT series would be the chance to have his work exposed to Jordon's huge readership.

It also helped to get his work out in foreign markets.

Until his name was announced in relation to WoT you couoldn't find his books anywhere in the UK (at loeast not in Waterstones - basically THE national chain over here). Then some US paperbacks of Elantris appeared. Followed by a UK release of Mistborn. Although I still haven't seen Warbreaker anywhere. And WoK is only coming out here in 2011!!

Either way, it has been a big boost to him breaking into International markets.

Although I still haven't seen Warbreaker anywhere.

I'm pretty sure you can download it for free on BS website. Or something like that. It's good if you like A LOT of political intrigue and not a whole lot of action for awhile.

I know - that's how i've read it =]

What I meant was I hadn't seen the physical copy in physical bookstores.

Although I still haven't seen Warbreaker anywhere.

I'm pretty sure you can download it for free on BS website. Or something like that. It's good if you like A LOT of political intrigue and not a whole lot of action for awhile.

I know - that's how i've read it =]

What I meant was I hadn't seen the physical copy in physical bookstores.

Ahh got ya. My bad lol.

We all know Andoran weight is the heaviest

I thought the currencies were equally strong.

No, because they are actual pieces of precious metal, they have different values according to their weight and relative purity. Andoran is the most valuable because their coins are heavier. They have more gold in them. It's a reflection of Andor's wealth and strong economy. They can afford to put more metal in their coins, rather than have more coins at a lower weight.

We all know Andoran weight is the heaviest

I thought the currencies were equally strong.

No, because they are actual pieces of precious metal, they have different values according to their weight and relative purity. Andoran is the most valuable because their coins are heavier. They have more gold in them. It's a reflection of Andor's wealth and strong economy. They can afford to put more metal in their coins, rather than have more coins at a lower weight.

I know how precious metal, coin based currencies work, I just thought that they were the same weight. The glossary simply says that "The heaviest coins come from Andor and Tar Valon", and they have the same denominations. 10 coppers for a silver penny, 100 silver pennies for a silver mark, 10 silver marks for a silver crown, 10 silver crowns for a gold mark, and 10 gold marks for a gold crown.

I know how precious metal, coin based currencies work, I just thought that they were the same weight. The glossary simply says that "The heaviest coins come from Andor and Tar Valon", and they have the same denominations. 10 coppers for a silver penny, 100 silver pennies for a silver mark, 10 silver marks for a silver crown, 10 silver crowns for a gold mark, and 10 gold marks for a gold crown.

What this means is that other less affluent nations try to cheat by having lighter coins. That is why merchants weigh the coins they receive.

Archived