DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

'Towers of Midnight' progress bar

mb

Which indicates that final revisions may indeed happen during The Way of Kings tour.

Sigh. Yes, it does. I really hope he'll be able to keep up.

As you statd with the advent of "steam wagons" the neccesity for synchronized time zones should soon become apperent (as long as the new technalogy survives the Last Battle).

One more ingredient is missing: people don't yet carry watches. Indeed, most rely on their general sense of time (an actual clock is a rare sight).

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was tGS prologue released last year and is there any world about a pre-release before Nov 2nd?

I don't remember the exact date, but I can tell you it was sometime after September 1st. As this year's release has been delayed, there's no reason to expect sample chapters before that.

I haven't heard anything about pre-releases yet, but they usually do something of the sort. My guess is you'll be able to get some of it before the official release, possibly for a fee.

I may be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that the whole (pre-revision) version was already in Harriet's and Team Jordan's hands for editing.  And that BWS is currently revising by simply cutting out wordy or unnecessary stuff that doesn't need to be there.  I thought it was more of a word edit for clarity that he is doing, and Team Jordan is currently working on the actual content editing like making sure characters are well written, etc...

So, while there are several revisions still in the lineup, I thought Harriet already had the whole book and was currently editing it.

I may be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that the whole (pre-revision) version was already in Harriet's and Team Jordan's hands for editing.  And that BWS is currently revising by simply cutting out wordy or unnecessary stuff that doesn't need to be there.  I thought it was more of a word edit for clarity that he is doing, and Team Jordan is currently working on the actual content editing like making sure characters are well written, etc...

So, while there are several revisions still in the lineup, I thought Harriet already had the whole book and was currently editing it.

She does. The revision he's currently working on is what he called "everybody's favorite draft" and when done will likely be the one passed around to Team Jordan, Tom at Tor, etc., for the nitpicking and polishing. Team Jordan does already have what Brandon's done so far, and they are working on it (He posted a few days ago saying he's glad to have Harriet and Maria to point out where he's gotten the WOT world wrong, obviously he must have been corrected on some point). Right now, he's doing the big cuts: trimming the excess off, getting rid of redundant words, editing for clarity and flow, murdering adverbs and the like. If you don't do this early on, you end up with practically unreadable prose like this gem from Stephenie Meyer:

Twilight, p. 13

"Where was the feel of the institution? I wondered nostalgically."

Gag.

Which indicates that final revisions may indeed happen during The Way of Kings tour.

The Way of Kings will come out at the very end of August (the tour will begin with a midnight event near Brandon's home) the finished Manuscript for the TOwers is due on or before August 17th.

When was tGS prologue released last year and is there any world about a pre-release before Nov 2nd?

I don't remember the exact date, but I can tell you it was sometime after September 1st. As this year's release has been delayed, there's no reason to expect sample chapters before that.

I haven't heard anything about pre-releases yet, but they usually do something of the sort. My guess is you'll be able to get some of it before the official release, possibly for a fee.

IIRC, TGS prologue was released around mid-September last year.  With the tighter deadline, we may just get the prologue this time but I imagine we'll see that pre-release (early October, maybe?)

IIRC, TGS prologue was released around mid-September last year.  With the tighter deadline, we may just get the prologue this time but I imagine we'll see that pre-release (early October, maybe?)

I thought the TGS prologue was released only a few weeks before the due date, around Oct. 7. I don't feel like checking my bank records to be sure, and I can't find the PDF file I downloaded for it either. Chapter 1 came a couple of weeks before that, though. TGS was turned in much earlier than what we're looking at here for ToM, so there's no telling what sort of sneak peeks we'll get.

Chapter One was released at Dragon*Con, which was the first weekend of September. The prologue was released a few weeks later to coincide with the anniversary of Robert Jordan's passing, and we had the audio of Chapter Two about a week after that.  We had all preview materials by the end of October.

I haven't heard anything from Tor or Team Jordan yet about any previews, but I see no reason why we wouldn't get at least the prologue this time. I'd start looking for information about it in August.

Chapter One was released at Dragon*Con, which was the first weekend of September. The prologue was released a few weeks later to coincide with the anniversary of Robert Jordan's passing, and we had the audio of Chapter Two about a week after that.  We had all preview materials by the end of October.

I haven't heard anything from Tor or Team Jordan yet about any previews, but I see no reason why we wouldn't get at least the prologue this time. I'd start looking for information about it in August.

maaaannn... i almost got really excited when i read "chapter one was released at Dragon Con"

I haven't heard anything from Tor or Team Jordan yet about and previews, but I see no reason why I can't dream and hope and compulsively check the boards for my fix. I need my fix man just a little like maybe a prologue or the first chapter or ten. I just need a little fix is that to much to ask man I'm really Jones'n.

I haven't heard anything from Tor or Team Jordan yet about and previews, but I see no reason why I can't dream and hope and compulsively check the boards for my fix. I need my fix man just a little like maybe a prologue or the first chapter or ten. I just need a little fix is that to much to ask man I'm really Jones'n.

I hear you. I wouldn't expect them to go all out as they did with the last release with both chapters 1 and 2 -- they don't really need to hype this book as much as they needed to TGS -- but I can't see them passing up the opportunity to make a few extra bucks off of a prologue pre-release. And I want to give them my money for it, gosh darn it!

We still might be getting 50,000 words of Pevara being awesome posted on Brandon's website.

Would that be before ToM is released though? Because it could give us a big insight into what is going down at the BT and what the outcome will be in the books.

Or are you just saying we will get it, some time, not specifically around the Prologue/Chapter 1/2

I asked Brandon whether it'd be pre- or post ToM but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. There's a chance it'd be in ToM, so who knows.

Ah, I've asked him too, but you must be higher in his list of people to get back to than I am. Will you post his answer on the forums, assuming he'll get back to you before ToM is out?

I asked Brandon whether it'd be pre- or post ToM but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. There's a chance it'd be in ToM, so who knows.

Ah, I've asked him too, but you must be higher in his list of people to get back to than I am. Will you post his answer on the forums, assuming he'll get back to you before ToM is out?

This was a part of an interview I'm doing with him, so yes it will be posted when he gets back to me.

Luckers, what does...

We still might be getting 50,000 words of Pevara being awesome posted on Brandon's website.

mean

Pretty much what it sounds. Brandon said there were about 50,000 words of secondary plots about 'Pevara being awesome' which may not make it into ToM, in which case he wanted to put it on his website.

Check the tGS Q&A signing reports on the general board if you are curious about the original quotes.

Just checked tGS. board still no 50,000 word of Pevara being awesome. Don't encourage me to compulsively check for new stuff I do it enough by my self.

Brandon's latest tweet:

If I start AMOL January 2011 (as I plan) and take the same time to write it as the others, we'll have real trouble getting it out that fall.

So it may not be until 2012 until the final book is out. It is a bummer to have to wait until 2012, but I know that he is working hard and putting in long hours. Let it take however long it needs to take.

Archived