DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

'Towers of Midnight' progress bar

mb

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever...

Prologue edited yesterday.  So far today 3 chapters edited.  I wonder how many chapters are in the book?

He is generally cutting 8-14% from each scene but actually added 1.7% to a chapter, I think Chapter one.

Well if you read the maps sold here it kind of is the center of the world.

You know, if that were true, I'd really find that hilarious. Seriously, I'd like to see one. Do you know of any online?

Knobs Mahoney, of course you have my forgiveness. All you had to do is ask :)

On a serious note, world maps made in China have China in the more central location with the US far off to the side and basically falling off.  The locations of the countries are switched.

Yes, there are. Rand notes that when Aviendha takes him to the Seanchan continent in 'The Far Snows', and Graendal thinks in TGS prologue that she must've Traveled a long way to the east for the time difference to be so great.

Regarding the Chinese, that wouldn't surprise me as much. Unlike America, the Chinese were great explorers back in the day, and they had time for a tradition of making maps with China at the center to evolve. And in modern times, you can understand why they could refuse to let go of that tradition (though, certainly not excuse that. The Pacific is just too large not to be used as edges for your maps).

Well if you read the maps sold here it kind of is the center of the world.

You know, if that were true, I'd really find that hilarious. Seriously, I'd like to see one. Do you know of any online?

Knobs Mahoney, of course you have my forgiveness. All you had to do is ask :)

On a serious note, world maps made in China have China in the more central location with the US far off to the side and basically falling off.  The locations of the countries are switched.

How do you say on a serious note when what we are talking about has nothing to do with the thread. are you trying to get us back on topic of a hijacked thread seriously seriously.

I was making sport of Americans, and AcuWill mentioned that things are actually done that way in China. How is that not serious, when compared to what I said before?

But I see your point. I'll quit hijacking this thread.

Not right now. He's still busy doing revisions. I wouldn't expect samples before that is done, though I guess it's possible that the first chapters would be finalized ahead of the rest.

Anyways, I get the feeling that the current draft he's working on isn't the final one, so there's still time.

Are there time zones in Randland?

Probably not. Time zones only become important when you have instantanious communication between far of locations and/or when travel between locations becomes rapid. In our own world Time Zones were not standardized until the andvent of Continental Railroad lines and the telegraph.

While discussions about currencies and timezones in Randland are interesting topics, they don't really have anything to do about the discussion concerning the ToM progress bar and comments coming from Brandon via his twitter account or facebook page regarding the book's progress. Could I ask those who wish to discuss other unrelated topics to please start another thread(s) so we can keep this one for it's original intent?

I agree with linux.  BS twits confirm he is really moving through his revisions at a quick pace.  HAs done the prologue and 6-8 chapters so far.  Has cut about 5500 words to date including 2 chapters he actually added a few words (1-2%).

Are there time zones in Randland?

Probably not. Time zones only become important when you have instantanious communication between far of locations and/or when travel between locations becomes rapid. In our own world Time Zones were not standardized until the andvent of Continental Railroad lines and the telegraph.

What do you mean?  Travel is quite rapid in randland due to, umm Traveling.

Traveling was only rediscovered a couple of years ago. It is also really restricted to travelers. Time Zones become relevant whenthey effect the general population especially mercantile interests.

BS reports 15% of revisions done, going slower than expected.

I'm not scared.  He'll make his deadlines.  He's awesome like that.

It's too early for concern, but this does mean that it will probably take him more than he first estimated (10 days?) to finish this draft. That much more time before we get to read parts of it.

And since I'm already posting, regarding the time zones - I'm guessing CUBAREY means (correct me if I'm wrong) that Randland isn't divided into zones, each with its own clock. I don't think there's any doubt that time differences do exist (it's not the same time in Cairhien and Bandar Eban, for example).

The progress bar does not show the current completion at the 15% done that he stated yesterday, so I don't think you can go by the progress bar as an accurate depiction of how much is completed. With all the revisions that he is doing, updating the bar is probably not at the top of his list of things to do.

There has been some interesting tweets alluding to chapters that are "Particularly Bloody". I can think of a few possible situations that could be particularly bloody. The suspense is killing me!!!!

Regarding the progress bar, I seriously doubt that this draft is the final one, so we shouldn't expect it to follow his reports.

And regarding the bloody chapters, it's interesting to me that he needs names for characters that don't make it. This makes it more similar to the scenes of battle in APoD than to Dumai's Wells, for example. Both bloody, but the former was much more complex, the latter fairly straightforward. I wonder what it could be. Perhaps the Black Tower? A shame, if it is. I kind of liked Luckers' theory regarding Pevara.

Traveling was only rediscovered a couple of years ago. It is also really restricted to travelers. Time Zones become relevant whenthey effect the general population especially mercantile interests.

Yes, there wouldn't have been any compelling need for time zones in Randland.  However, such things are probably less than a generation away.  Depending on how things unfold, Traveling could become very accessible to the merchant classes.  Rand, Elayne, and Perrin have already been using it for things as mundane as moving grain carts and wagons, and Elayne seems to have been using to facilitate trade in other ways.  Egwene's AS were also using it for things as mundane as securing monetary donations from different kingdoms.

Plus, they've got steam wagons now.  A full rail system will follow fairly shortly.

Regarding the progress bar, I seriously doubt that this draft is the final one, so we shouldn't expect it to follow his reports.

Correct, he is revising before sending it to Harriet who will make suggestions for changes,etc. He will then have to make further revisions to incorporate Harriet's edits.

Plus, they've got steam wagons now.  A full rail system will follow fairly shortly.

As you statd with the advent of "steam wagons" the neccesity for synchronized time zones should soon become apperent (as long as the new technalogy survives the Last Battle).

Correct, he is revising before sending it to Harriet who will make suggestions for changes,etc. He will then have to make further revisions to incorporate Harriet's edits.

Which indicates that final revisions may indeed happen during The Way of Kings tour.

Archived