DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

Throughout much of the dialogue with different Aiel, there is frequently talk about the importance of blacksmiths, and how they can't be attacked or made gaishan.

Is there any explanation of why the Aiel view blacksmiths in such a way?

I don't recall a specific explanation being given (since when have the Aiel explained ji'e'toh to anyone?), but at a guess, they probably see them as too valuable.

There is a quite thorough explanation provided by Brandon during the TGS signings. All those Q&As can be found on the TGS board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dain Bornhold is the son of Geofram Bornhold.  Was Dain born before or after Geofram became a Whitecloak?

From Eye of World Chapter 30:

"My name is Geofram Bornhold," he told them. "You are Perrin, I understand. But you, young woman, what is your name?"

That was the first mention of Perrin's name in the conversation.  From where did Geofram get the name?

In Crown of Swords, Jaichim Carridin knows Mat's name.  Yet in Great Hunt Prologue, he does not know the name when the images of the Taveren are shown.

When and where did he find out the name?  Did he also find out Rand's and Perrin's sometime?

Dain Bornhold is the son of Geofram Bornhold.  Was Dain born before or after Geofram became a Whitecloak?

I don't think we know for sure, but my thought is after. Geofram stuck me as a lifer.

From Eye of World Chapter 30:

"My name is Geofram Bornhold," he told them. "You are Perrin, I understand. But you, young woman, what is your name?"

That was the first mention of Perrin's name in the conversation.  From where did Geofram get the name?

Egwene was likely saying it whilst he was unconcious--at the very least screaming it when they took him down.

In Crown of Swords, Jaichim Carridin knows Mat's name.  Yet in Great Hunt Prologue, he does not know the name when the images of the Taveren are shown.

When and where did he find out the name?  Did he also find out Rand's and Perrin's sometime?

Maybe it was included in the the secret orders Ishamael gave him that he wasn't able to remember.

• 2 weeks later...
Did he also find out Rand's and Perrin's sometime?

Rand's name was told to Jaichim Carridin in Dragon Reborn prologue.

Did he figure out which face the name belonged to?  and did he also find out Perrin's name (and face)?

Some other questions::

How far was Ishamael from the 3 taveren when they dreamed the Baalzamon dreams?

The 3 taveren and 2 other Edmond's Field boys each saw a myrddraal; I take the same myrddraal since there was 1 fist of Trollocs in Two Rivers.  Was it killed during the Trolloc raid, or did it escape?  If escaped, was it seen later?

Was the myrddraal at Whitebridge different than or same as the one at the village?

During the darkfriend gathering in Great Hunt, how did Ishamael show images of the 3 taveren?

does it really matter? it's TAR where distance has no meaning

During the darkfriend gathering in Great Hunt, how did Ishamael show images of the 3 taveren?

um...powery stuff

• 2 months later...

um...powery stuff

he "saidin'd it" lulz

um...powery stuff

he "saidin'd it" lulz

or "true power'd it"

Ishamael might not have been able to produce the dreams if he was far away in the waking world.

or "true power'd it"

I recall somewhere telling that using the True Power close to Shayol Ghul is dangerous.  Do not remember the exact words nor where.

or "true power'd it"

I recall somewhere telling that using the True Power close to Shayol Ghul is dangerous.  Do not remember the exact words nor where.

i remember that as well know i think it was in LoC

that was the true source

He released the One Power immediately, and with the vanished sweetness went the heightened senses that made everything sharper, clearer. The absence of saidin left him hollow, yet here only a fool would even appear ready to channel.

LoC: Prologue: The First Message Demandred POV

i think mog. thought something like this in aCoS somewhere but i cant remember.

Ishamael might not have been able to produce the dreams if he was far away in the waking world.

again, distance has no meaning in TAR, and we have never had anything pointing to it being a factor when "making" dreams

For a talented dreamer distance wouldn't matter and one has evidence to suggest that Ishamel is a very talented dreamer - maybe as good as Moggy and Lanfear or better.

However, Halima-Balty has a problem finding Egwene's dreams unless she's sleeping close by in the real world. 

• 1 month later...

During the many lives Portal Stone trip, did Mat's dagger caused sickness change in anyway?

When Moiraine talks to Rand at the end of Great Hunt, she tells that she tried to rescue some sisters.  How did she find about the Aes Sedia damane?

What is the maximum balefire that is "safe" (ie, only unravels the threads of its intended target/targets)?

During the many lives Portal Stone trip, did Mat's dagger caused sickness change in anyway?

Not in any percievable manner, no.

When Moiraine talks to Rand at the end of Great Hunt, she tells that she tried to rescue some sisters.  How did she find about the Aes Sedia damane?

Keen investigative skills? People who know the look would mark Aes Sedai slaves. It's a big deal.

What is the maximum balefire that is "safe" (ie, only unravels the threads of its intended target/targets)?

I'd say not much more than Rand used at Natrin's Barrow. Certainly far less then would be needed to destroy the Dark One (as per RJ's comment).

• 4 months later...

Besides Lanfear & Mat, did anyone else knew about (or found out about) her visit to him?

Did Rahvin find out that the death of the guy he sent? Did he also find out that the "girls" are still alive?

Egwene for sure gotten channeling knowledge from Moghedien. Did Egwene also get Telaranrhiod/Dreaming knowledge from her?

Moiraine names Verin because that is the Aes Sedai who after Moiraine is the closest to Rand.

Verins actions speaks for themselves, she is not BA.

I know this was 2+ years ago but I lol'd for two reasons:

1) So wrong but stated so emphatically

2) If I was here at the same time I'd have put the same response.

I would say that no amount of balefire is "safe".

Consider that everything in existence has a thread. Therefore, even a small amount of balefire may send a person (Nynaeve?) back mere seconds.

Consider if those seconds were spend doing something phenomenal that affected the whole world (say cleansing the taint). Then only the tiniest weave of balefire would have disastrous global effect. More men would go mad that otherwise wouldn't have. This could effect the result of the Last Battle. The DO is free, existence is unmade.

No, depending on circumstances, no amount of balefire is "safe".

Now if you meant in terms of the structural integrity of the pattern, we've seen dangerous occurrences in that arena.

Moiraine names Verin because that is the Aes Sedai who after Moiraine is the closest to Rand.

Verins actions speaks for themselves, she is not BA.

I know this was 2+ years ago but I lol'd for two reasons:

1) So wrong but stated so emphatically

2) If I was here at the same time I'd have put the same response.

Possible ToM spoiler...

I knew balefire was not safe, hence the quotation marks. My intended meaning was/is in the parentheses.

Events that affect the entire world at the same moment, those seem rare. The question related to events other than those.

Not sure, but that other poster might have referred to Gathering Storm.

Repeating my last questions.

Besides Lanfear & Mat, did anyone else knew about (or found out about) her visit to him?

Did Rahvin find out that the death of the guy he sent? Did he also find out that the "girls" are still alive?

Egwene for sure gotten channeling knowledge from Moghedien. Did Egwene also get Telaranrhiod/Dreaming knowledge from her?

We don't know the answers to any of them. You could try researching the answers by looking up the relevant characters on the Encyclopedia and then reading the pertinent chapters, but if you can't find the answers it's unlikely we can either.

I would guess no, yes, yes, and no, but those are just guesses.

Rahvin questioned the Tairen High Lady Alteima using Compulsion at the start of TFOH, and he asked her specifically about " his friends, if he has any, his companions, his allies". Her exact answers were not shwon, but most probably she told him about the Supergirls presence in the Stone.

How did Ishamael find out about Mat's escape from Tar Valon?

Who (of the following) first discovered Moiraine in Tear, Belal or the Blacks? And how?

Was it Egwene in Telaranrhiod that "tipped off" the presence of the 3 of them in Tear or did Belal or one of the Blacks manage to find out through the waking world? If through waking world, who found out & how?

• 1 month later...

Who (of the following) first discovered Moiraine in Tear, Belal or the Blacks? And how?

Was it Egwene in Telaranrhiod that "tipped off" the presence of the 3 of them in Tear or did Belal or one of the Blacks manage to find out through the waking world? If through waking world, who found out & how?

Other questions besides those::

Can dream passing be done while the channeler wards dreams?

The Darkhound pack in Dragon Reborn, which of the 5 was the intended target? And when & how did Samuel find out of the person's presence in Illian?

Does word of Perrin's and/or of Mat's Shadow Rising miasma experience ever get to Moiraine?

I'm guessing through the Black Ajah. The Aes Sedai knew he was going to try and run, but expected him to be thwarted--never the less during that time he was exposed in the city, a fact the Black Ajah knew. As a result the Darkfriends are set on him, and when none of them reported back their success... Ishamael was alerted.

The exact specific are, of course, unknown.

We don't know. It's not strange that they did discover her though--given how quickly Moiraine establishes a net of Eyes and Ears in Tear, the idea that others could is not remarkable.

They left bait to bring the girls to Tear, so its not surprising they arrived. Afterwards it was Juilin that gave them away--he asked too many questions and got himself noticed--and questioned.

Can dream passing be done while the channeler wards dreams?

No. This is in fact the primrary reason why Aes Sedai all ward their dreams, even during times where no active conflict with the Shadow exists (there is a quote of this, somewhere, though I don't have the books on me).

Does word of Perrin's and/or of Mat's Shadow Rising miasma experience ever get to Moiraine?

Yes. If you read the scene in Rand's room its made apparent that she realised they both underwent similar experiences to Rand. We don't know if she knows the exact specifics, though.

No. This is in fact the primrary reason why Aes Sedai all ward their dreams, even during times where no active conflict with the Shadow exists (there is a quote of this, somewhere, though I don't have the books on me).

I'm not sure on that Luckers.

Lanfear did claim back in tFoH Chpt 6 that she could break through Rand's wards and that he wouldn't like it.

Might of just been boasting but she had also just finished telling Rand about Asmo's dreams and you would think he would ward his.

Of course he might not be able to channel strongly enough through the shield to do the warding anymore.

Archived