DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

In New Spring, main area people seemed to think that the Aiel wanted to conquer the land.  By the time of the main series, they knew that they came to punish Laman.  When did they come to that realization?

I would imagine when the Aiel returned to the Threefold Land immediately after killing Laman, i.e. it became obvious that was their purpose because once they'd achieved it they didn't stick around to conquer land.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 POVs mention Ansaline Gardens.  Knife of Dreams chapters 3 & 18.

The chapter 3 POV told that the place was destroyed.  Which side did the destruction?

I don't think we were told who destroyed the Gardens. But logic suggests it was the Shadow's work. The Gardens were destroyed in the third year of the War of Power. That was the year that Demandred betrayed the Light, by switching sides. He did so, because he thought that the Shadow would win. I doubt that Demandred -a genius, per RJ- would have joined the Shadow during that year because of all the territory that was (re-)gained by the Light's forces. Also, Sammael was still fighting for the Light during the third year. And we know he was known for his defensive capabilities and that -while he was still fighting for the Light- the Light was mostly on the defensive during those years.

Also, it fits the Shadow's MO (of destruction) and doesn't fit the Light's MO to destroy a place of such beauty.

It's not conclusive, but it's the best I could come up with.

Streith changes color according to the wearer's mood.  Which moods correspond to which colors?

I think white / mist (or white-ish) was the 'default'..erm.. colour. Blue is warm and happy (Graendal uses this when meeting Sammael). Grey and dark for distrust and wariness and hiding thoughts (LoC & KoD). Red for anger (LoC). Black for hatred or disgust (LoC & KoD). Transparancy had something to do with how 'relaxed' a person wearing it felt...or wanted others to think how 'at ease' the wearer was. That's all I know.

Never do we see green/ yellow/ orange/ purple/ etc... I think.

Additional questions::

In New Spring, main area people seemed to think that the Aiel wanted to conquer the land.  By the time of the main series, they knew that they came to punish Laman.  When did they come to that realization?

What Rhienne said. And don't forget there is a 20 year gap between what the Aiel War ended and when TEotW started. That's quite a lot of time to realise how wrong the thoughts during the Aiel War were, regardless of how logical / widespread they were at that time.

When Nynaeve first meets Siuan and Leane after Sian's & Leane's stilling, Nynaeve felt their lack; yet not when she met Setalle Anan. How come?

I don't think Nynaeve feels something 'lacking', although she does realize that something had to be taken from them and/ or that they had been wounded. She is just very aware of what she misses in comparison with previous encounters with Siuan & Leane, especially in a room filled with Aes Sedai. Siuan and Leane stand out extra.

Nynaeve not being able to sense the woman -while she knows she should have been able to- feels like 'lacking'.

Gabrelle's POV (Crossroads of Twilight Prologue) tells that Logain managed to mask the bond; but it masks his emotions instead of location.

How many Ashamen know the technique?

If Rand was taught the technique and afterward attempted it, what would happen in the attempt?

Moiraine started looking for the Dragon Reborn (who she and Siuan then termed as "the boychild") months after he was born.

How come it took about 20 years to check in Emond's Field?

And why did she start in the Borderlands?

Who else besides Moiraine/Siuan/Tamra knew the exact wording of Gitara's last Foretelling?  Moiraine and Siuan have kept it secret.

Did the novice in the anteroom overhear?  I guess Tamra would have ordered also her to keep it secret.

Moiraine guessed that Tamra sent seekers for the child.  Was she correct?

Did Tam realize that the child he picked up was the Dragon Reborn?  If so, how come he kept it secret from Rand?

The severed Aes Sedia; does their appearance correspond to if they slowed instead or would there be a difference?  If a difference, what would be that difference?

1. Unknown. I think it would be a reasonable assumption that all those who, like Logain, bonded the AS attackers would have knowledge of it, and most of them should be able to do it. Others it would depend on whether they asked about it or not when they met Logain (ie - Flinn Narishma etc.) 

2. I'm not 100% as the bond may be different with 4, however, there is no reason to think that it would be in this regard. So I would say it would work just as it did for Logain, on all 4 women. 

3, RJ was going to write a prequel about this. No specifics, but I assume they would have been hindered by various threats, and the need to act in secrecy would have slowed the process considerably. 

4. I think Moiraine started in what she thought the most likely place the DR would be 'sent' to by the Pattern. I would say she thought the pattern would put him in a position where he had to fight the Shadow his entire life, gaining experience, conviction and renown before he declared himself as the Dragon. A quiet village in the back end of Andor who don't even think Shadowspawn exist would seem like a strange place to her analytical mind. 

5. Unknown. They may have told others, but I doubt it. Perhaps Lan and Alric (Suian's dead warder) know/knew, but again, it is unknown. 

6. Can't remember off the top of my head about the novice.

7. I don't think it's 100% confirmed, however, the logic seems to be accurate with the actions. I would say a 95% yes. 

8. No. He didn't know. He only began to suspect when Rand started doing things as the DR publicly. Perhaps he had some suspicions, but it isn't likely he would tell his son that he might be the Dragon Reborn (before Moiraine came) unless he had definitive proof. Even then, it wouldn't be likely, considering how male channelers - and the Dragon specifically - were thought of/treated. 

9. I'm not sure. I don't think it would affect their appearances if they hadn't slowed yet. Nor would it affect anyone that isn't Aes Sedai in that way. I believe the appearance thing with AS is because the 3 Oaths - thus the ageless face- are broken, their face reverts to what it would have looked like if they had slowed normally without the oaths. 

One more thing with regards to masking the bond; I've always been under the impression that the bond-holder is the one who can mask the bond, not the bonded one. So it wouldn't be Rand but any of the women individually who could mask the bond. Like Alanna does to avoid feeling Rand & Min at it, and I think an Aviendha PoV also mentions that she masks the bond when Rand and Min are together. I don't think Rand could mask the bond because he's at the "wrong" end of it - or am I just completely missing something here?

One more thing with regards to masking the bond; I've always been under the impression that the bond-holder is the one who can mask the bond, not the bonded one. So it wouldn't be Rand but any of the women individually who could mask the bond. Like Alanna does to avoid feeling Rand & Min at it, and I think an Aviendha PoV also mentions that she masks the bond when Rand and Min are together. I don't think Rand could mask the bond because he's at the "wrong" end of it - or am I just completely missing something here?

Nope, you're not missing anything.

Elyas tells us in TPoD:

"Most Aes Sedai will free a man who really wants to go—most will—and anyway, she can track you down however far you run if she decides to hunt."

Bond-initiaters can 'fuzz the bond'. Bond-recievers can't.

Bond-initiaters can 'pass the bond' (if they can channel) or 'release the bond'. Bond-recievers can't.

My question about starting in the Borderlands; the prequel gives another reason::  she wanting to be as far from Cairhien as possible.

Did either Kari al'Thor or Tam al'Thor register for the bounty; or did they leave the Tar Valon area without registering?  If they did register, what did they tell?  If they did not register, was one reason a suspicion of the child being the Dragon Reborn?

Did Tam learn any version of the Prophecies before he picked up Rand?  If he did, what version/versions did he learn?

Tam taught Rand "the flame and the void".  Was Tam taught it when he was a soldier or did he get it from somewhere else?  If somewhere else, where?

Did Thom tell anybody that a relative needed help (or tell anything similar) before he left Caemlyn?  If so, how come Morgase did not get word of it?  If not, why not?

Starscape-only prologue; how come Egwene seems to be the only one who noticed the ravens?

When and where did Tam meet Kari?

Also, when and where did they marry; and by whom?

What was her ancestry?

Rand speculated that Lan and Thom came from the same place; was he right?

When did Moiraine give Perrin his coin?  And what did she say to him at that time?

Who else besides the 3 taveren and Ewin did Moiraine give a coin to?

When did Moiraine weave the Finders on the coins of the 3 taveren?  For sure sometime before they split.

• 2 weeks later...

When a channeling bond-holder shields dreams of both self and warder, are those one weave or separate weaves?

If separate weaves, would the channeler need to weave separate times for each warder?

Would a channeling warder be able to shield the dreams of bond-holders?

• 1 month later...

in the prequel, Lan's horse was Cat Dancer; in the main series, Mandarb.  are those 2 horses the same horse or 2 different horses?  If same, when (and why) did the name change?  If different, when did he get Mandarb and what happened to Cat Dancer?

in the prequel, Moiraine's horse was Arrow; in the main series, Aldieb.  are those 2 horses the same horse or 2 different horses?  If same, when (and why) did the name change?  If different, when did she get Aldieb and what happened to Arrow?

can taveren effects "pass" through a warder bond and/or other kinds of bonds?  Not sure if "pass" would be the right term.

all questions::

Did either Kari al'Thor or Tam al'Thor register for the bounty; or did they leave the Tar Valon area without registering?  If they did register, what did they tell?  If they did not register, was one reason a suspicion of the child being the Dragon Reborn?

Did Tam learn any version of the Prophecies before he picked up Rand?  If he did, what version/versions did he learn?

Tam taught Rand "the flame and the void".  Was Tam taught it when he was a soldier or did he get it from somewhere else?  If somewhere else, where?

Did Thom tell anybody that a relative needed help (or tell anything similar) before he left Caemlyn?  If so, how come Morgase did not get word of it?  If not, why not?

Starscape-only prologue; how come Egwene seems to be the only one who noticed the ravens?

When and where did Tam meet Kari?
Also, when and where did they marry; and by whom?
What was her ancestry?

When did Moiraine give Perrin his coin?  And what did she say to him at that time?
Who else besides the 3 taveren and Ewin did Moiraine give a coin to?
When did Moiraine weave the Finders on the coins of the 3 taveren?  For sure sometime before they split.

When a channeling bond-holder shields dreams of both self and warder, are those one weave or separate weaves?
If separate weaves, would the channeler need to weave separate times for each warder?

Would a channeling warder be able to shield the dreams of bond-holders?

in the prequel, Lan's horse was Cat Dancer; in the main series, Mandarb.  are those 2 horses the same horse or 2 different horses?  If same, when (and why) did the name change?  If different, when did he get Mandarb and what happened to Cat Dancer?

in the prequel, Moiraine's horse was Arrow; in the main series, Aldieb.  are those 2 horses the same horse or 2 different horses?  If same, when (and why) did the name change?  If different, when did she get Aldieb and what happened to Arrow?

can taveren effects "pass" through a warder bond and/or other kinds of bonds?  Not sure if "pass" would be the right term.

For the horses, I'd imagine age happened. There's 20 years between New Spring and The Eye of the World. That's a long time for a horse.

I don't think he did, that's why Morgase was so cross when he left.

Can you remember when he said it, or what he referred to?  (i.e. location/or shared experience sort of thing)

"I don't know," Mat said firmly, "and I don't care. I won't spend it, either. Even when the peddler comes." With that he thrust his coin into his coat pocket.
   Nodding, Rand slowly did the same with his. He was not sure why, but somehow what Mat said seemed right. The coin should not be spent. Not when it came from her. He could not think of anything else silver was good for, but ...
   "Do you think I should keep mine, too?" Anguished indecision painted Ewin's face.
   "Not unless you want to," Mat said.
   "I think she gave it to you to spend," Rand said.

I think the 'finder' was placed on the coins before she gave it to them based on the difference in the reactions between Ewin & Mat/Rand

I'm afraid I can't answer the others :sad:

The speculation was a thought.  Eye of the World Chapter 4.  referring to their eyes.

The white-haired man whirled, cloak flaring. His long coat had odd, baggy sleeves and big pockets. Thick mustaches, as snowy as the hair on his head, quivered around his mouth, and his face was gnarled like a tree that had seen hard times. He gestured imperiously at Rand and the others with a long-stemmed pipe, ornately carved, that trailed a wisp of smoke. Blue eyes peered out from under bushy white brows, drilling into whatever he looked at.

Rand started at the man's eyes almost as much as at the rest of him. Everybody in the Two Rivers had dark eyes and so did most of the merchants, and their guards, and everyone else he had ever seen. The Congars and the Coplins had made fun of him for his gray eyes, until the day he finally punched Ewal Coplin in the nose; the Wisdom had surely gotten onto him for that. He wondered if there was a place where nobody had dark eyes. Maybe Lan comes from there, too.

That was speculation, from someone who's only ever seen dark-eyed people, based on Thom and Lan both having light-coloured eyes. Not exactly much reason for us to assume that Thom is anything but Andoran simply from that alone. And we know Lan is Malkieri. So I'd go with a no.

The Black Tower grew explosively because of Taim's aggressive recruiting policy. As soon as a few of the first recruits were able to Travel and could be trusted to not mock up and kill themselves with the Power, they were sent out to look for more men. And as more of those reach that point in their training, more recruiting parties could be sent out.

As for becoming "full Asha'man" in such a short time, they were forced to learn as fast as physically possible. They couldn't afford to go slowly; the Last Battle could be just around the corner. And they were taught mainly battle weaves (and Healing for those who showed any Talent for it). Learning to blow things up really isn't all that complicated. Most of the Asha'man fighting techniques rely on brute force rather than finesse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to belittle what Taim did with the resources and time given to him (trust me, I'm the last one to do anything of the sort). But the Asha'man still have a lot to learn, a lot to rediscover.

Also, I'm not sure which culture and code of honour you're talking about?

We start with about 20 untrained men who can channel. To 100s of full asha'man, and the ashaman themselves have developed their own culture a code of honor. All that in about 3 months?

From the time Rand gave Taim the Sword and Dragon pins, until after Dumai's Well(2.5 months-ish), we have only actually met 5 Asha'man, one of which is a Forsaken. So only 4 really. I agree the timelines sometimes seem a little quick, and stuff seems to happen almost instantly, I just take it for Rand being Ta'veren and getting what he needs in order for things to turn out the way they do. Cheap excuse I know, but it's what I have to work with, I can't pretend the timeline is any longer since they state how long they have been out of the Two Rivers periodically.

The people last at the Eye know that it is gone.  They told one other person.

Does anyone else know or gotten rumors of that?  if so, who and through what means and by whom?

Adeleas and Vandene heard rumors of the Horn being found before Moiraine visited their house.

Who started those rumors?

When did Moiraine realize that Mordeth & Fain merged?

Lan told the Two Rivers folk that wolves hate trollocs and that trollocs hate wolves.

Did he get that info from Elyas or through some other means?  if some other means, how?  If Elyas, when?

• 3 weeks later...

The people last at the Eye know that it is gone.  They told one other person.

Does anyone else know or gotten rumors of that?  if so, who and through what means and by whom?

Adeleas and Vandene heard rumors of the Horn being found before Moiraine visited their house.

Who started those rumors?

When did Moiraine realize that Mordeth & Fain merged?

Lan told the Two Rivers folk that wolves hate trollocs and that trollocs hate wolves.

Did he get that info from Elyas or through some other means?  if some other means, how?  If Elyas, when?

When did Elyas become a wolfbrother?

At what point did Perrin get the yellow eyes?  likely sometime after meeting Elyas and sometime before entering the stedding.

Which language/languages do ogier names come from?

Edit::

Great Hunt chapters 15 & 41; were those Ishamael encounters while Rand was awake or within dreams?

Egwene. Just... everything about her. I don't get it. A character who's entire conflict in the latter half of the series is being the ON:Y CAPABLE PERSON SURROUNDED BY INEPT IDIOTS!!

Who's only weakness is that she's too selfless and noble. Oh no, none of her opponents are intelligent, we can't have that. She's a repressed misunderstood genius who's so much better and nicer than all the other disgustingly useless and jerkish Aes Sedai out there. How dare Elaida try to stomp down her perfect perfectness (not that she can since Elaida's breaking tactics have NO effect whatsoever)

Fans of Egwene, can anyone offer a manner in which I can tolerate this whole subplot? Because I don't think I can survive this with my saniy intact (probable hyperbole there)

Egwene. Just... everything about her. I don't get it. A character who's entire conflict in the latter half of the series is being the ON:Y CAPABLE PERSON SURROUNDED BY INEPT IDIOTS!!

Who's only weakness is that she's too selfless and noble. Oh no, none of her opponents are intelligent, we can't have that. She's a repressed misunderstood genius who's so much better and nicer than all the other disgustingly useless and jerkish Aes Sedai out there. How dare Elaida try to stomp down her perfect perfectness (not that she can since Elaida's breaking tactics have NO effect whatsoever)

Fans of Egwene, can anyone offer a manner in which I can tolerate this whole subplot? Because I don't think I can survive this with my saniy intact (probable hyperbole there)

I think you're meant to be infuriated by her. She isn't actually infallible and awesome--she's a child who's been raised to a position of extreme wealth and power. She's pretty competent in that position, but it's all gone to her head. She's largely forgotten her roots, and thinks she has to do everything.

For some of the other female characters (e.g. Nynaeve), the character arc has been somewhat the opposite: Nynaeve starts out thinking she knows best, better than all the rest (and she too was a child raised to a position of relative prestige and power), but throughout the series she... grows up.

Archived