DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

Fain either walked or used a waygate  that would of been located nearby.  We have seen Fain could travel the ways freely without fear of the black wind.  But pretty much it seems Fain walked/rode horses everywhere we have no pov's or anything to show he ever used a traveling gate.  He just entered Far Madding since the guards would have no reason to ban the guy with him or Fain from entering.  The yalso would freely let him leave since they would have no reason to guess he was involved in any of the deaths in town.  Land nad Rand pretty much took the blame for all of that since they were captured escaping.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good bet that he learned it when he learned the sword.

One has to remember that Tam was no ordinary soldier, he was a Blademaster who was freakin second in command of the famed Illianer Companions. He fought in 4 different wars (Whitecloak, 2 x Tear and the Aiel war) that was presented with the sword that ended up on Rand's hip by King Mattin Stepaneos himself.

Indeed. Although he still lucked out by meeting someone who knew the trick since, as I mentioned, it's not a trick every soldier seems to know. He got himself into some pretty exclusive company somehow.

I think Tam's bow/quarterstaff skill gave him an edge that pushed him higher in ranks quickly. I don't think its far fetched for a man with two sets of combat skills to be given special consideration and military education. The real thing I want to know about Tam is why Illian?

• 1 month later...

The real thing I want to know about Tam is why Illian?

do you mean "Why Tam went to Illian"

I recall several threads that speculated the reason.

The upcoming Companion might tell.

I think this is a fairly easy one to answer actually when you think about it. The Companions are one of the most equal opportunity employers in Randland. Where it doesn't matter if you're a sheep herder from a backwater, a highborn noble, if you're actually from Illian or if you're from Tarabon. None affords an advantage or disadvantage. Everyone is equal and everyone has the same opportunity to advance. 

channeler holding the One Power; what is the farthest he/she can see/hear/smell?

and when not holding the One Power?

and a wolfbrother/wolfsister?

another question::

the Guide tells that the Seanchan exotics came from Portal Stone worlds.  the Portal Stone worlds show what would be if certain events went differently.  How did each creature come about?

the eavesdropping technique of channeling through a stone; does it succeed against eavesdropping wards or do the wards block those attempts?

terangreal making seems to need just the proper materials and the proper weaves.  Is this so for all types of terangreal?

angreal making requires a Key.  Does this apply to also sa'angreal?

construct making; does it require some device?  If so, what is that device?

Pretty sure that how eavesdropping wards work depends on how they were set up. In Salidar they set up wards against eavesdropping but Nyn was able to circumnavigate them by physically moving inside the barrier. In TAR when Eg was meeting Elayne and Nyn she set up a ward that would let her know if someone tried to penetrate it with a weave, so there are a number of variations they can use.

As per normal, I'm not sure about the rest of your questions.

Illian fought a war against Whitecloaks around that time. As a solider, Tam would likely go where the fighting was. 

I concur but ironically that was one of the few questions where RJ answered something along the lines of "I don't know, it's not important enough for me to have thought about it'

Usually he had an answer for everything, but not this time. And of course that would actually have been notable for the character given Tam's later dealings with the Children.

Yes, I have been wondering for the longest time about the origin/meaning of Kinslayer's Dagger too. I kept looking at that darn map just wondering when a flashback of some significant event, or some info dump would enlighten me to it. But it never came.

Here's hoping that the the upcoming encyclopedia will shed some light into it.

I'm pretty sure that at the start of the Great Hunt when Siuan is teaching Nyn how to channel Nyn asks about creating a sword with the power and Siuan 'makes' a sword but then asks why she wouldn't just use air to hold the opponent instead.

Objects created with the power last as long as the weave, weaves can be tied off, but eventually decay or need renewing, I guess objects made with them last that long.

Multiple times in this series, objects have been made from channeling alone.  (Mostly swords and balls of light.)

Can such objects become permanent?  If so, how?  If not, why?

I think it has to do with how tight you can make a knot. So it depends on the creator.

• 1 month later...

What purpose/purposes brought Thom to Two Rivers?

When and where and through what means did he find out about Two Rivers? and what was he told?

Thom's & Moiraine's arrivals at Four Kings, Whitebridge, Baerlon; what were the time differences at each location (on the way to Two Rivers)?  and who arrived first at each location?

Archived