DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

No. This is in fact the primrary reason why Aes Sedai all ward their dreams, even during times where no active conflict with the Shadow exists (there is a quote of this, somewhere, though I don't have the books on me).

I'm not sure on that Luckers.

Lanfear did claim back in tFoH Chpt 6 that she could break through Rand's wards and that he wouldn't like it.

Might of just been boasting but she had also just finished telling Rand about Asmo's dreams and you would think he would ward his.

Of course he might not be able to channel strongly enough through the shield to do the warding anymore.

My understanding was that mb was asking whether the passing of dreams (as occurs with Rand's dreams of Callandor in the beginning of tDR, or Be'lal's dreams at the end of tDR) could occur when a person dreams was warded. It was this which I was answering, not whether a warding upon ones dreams could be broken--which indeed, given the end of ToM, seems very likely (though some small chance remains that this breach was enabled by the Rand/Moridin link and is unique).

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. This is in fact the primrary reason why Aes Sedai all ward their dreams, even during times where no active conflict with the Shadow exists (there is a quote of this, somewhere, though I don't have the books on me).

I'm not sure on that Luckers.

Lanfear did claim back in tFoH Chpt 6 that she could break through Rand's wards and that he wouldn't like it.

Might of just been boasting but she had also just finished telling Rand about Asmo's dreams and you would think he would ward his.

Of course he might not be able to channel strongly enough through the shield to do the warding anymore.

My understanding was that mb was asking whether the passing of dreams (as occurs with Rand's dreams of Callandor in the beginning of tDR, or Be'lal's dreams at the end of tDR) could occur when a person dreams was warded. It was this which I was answering, not whether a warding upon ones dreams could be broken--which indeed, given the end of ToM, seems very likely (though some small chance remains that this breach was enabled by the Rand/Moridin link and is unique).

yeah, fair enough and agreed, that pesky link again screwing everyone up :biggrin:

My question worded somewhat differently::

Can a channeler pass a dream to others while it is warded?

Repeated questions::

The Darkhound pack in Dragon Reborn, which of the 5 was the intended target? And when & how did Samuel find out of the person's presence in Illian?

Another question::

Rand seems to have like investigated the prophecies about him of almost every culture except for the Seanchan's. Why he seemed to not investigate Seanchan's?

Rand seems to have like investigated the prophecies about him of almost every culture except for the Seanchan's. Why he seemed to not investigate Seanchan's?

I can't remember... how recently was Rand even aware that there WERE Seanchan prophecies about him?

The Darkhound pack in Dragon Reborn, which of the 5 was the intended target? And when & how did Samuel find out of the person's presence in Illian?

Not sure about the first two but I'll give the last one a go:

Several reasons that Rand hasn't looked into the Seanchan prophecies. Most importantly, he doesn't have access to them. He doesn't have any Seanchan allies and the time that he tried to broker a truce, he was rejected by Tuon. Secondly, to the Seanchan he is still the Dragon Reborn (as opposed to the Car'a'carn or Coramoor) to the Seanchan so there is no reason to believe that the Seanchan would have any prophecies other than those regarding the Dragon Reborn that he is already familiar with.

As a secondary note, Rand really only studies the Dragon prophecies. He finds out about the Aiel prophecies after going to Rhuidean, but he never actually made an effort to study those prophecies. And he still doesn't really know anything about the Sea Folk Coramoor prophecies. He negotiated a Bargain with them but he doesn't really know the fundation of their beliefs.

Do you mean like when Egwene "talks" to Elayne and Nynaeve in theirs?

Maybe an example of exactly what you're asking?

Best guess is that Sammy had wards in the city and knew Saidar touched one of them. Something like when the anti-ease dropping ward was touched by Saidin (Halima) at the little Tower.

Wondered about this myself and Kal might have it right about Rand not really being aware of distinctive Seanchan prophecies.

You would think though that Alivia, even if she was only a damane, would of heard something over her 400+ years, hell, she was a damane for more than 100 years before the Empire was even the Empire heh.

Like Rahvin/Sammael/Belal pass their dreams to people of their respective city in Dragon Reborn.

Like Rahvin/Sammael/Belal pass their dreams to people of their respective city in Dragon Reborn.

My guess is that, no, they cannot pass those dreams onto someone who shields their own dreams. The reason for this is when Rand doesn't shield his dreams in tDR and causes many people to dream about reaching for Callandor, Moiraine (who shields her own dreams) has to ask around about what everyone dreamed about and what the sword looked like. It seemed that she, herself, had not had Rand's dream.

I answered this above--the answer... "No. This is in fact the primrary reason why Aes Sedai all ward their dreams, even during times where no active conflict with the Shadow exists (there is a quote of this, somewhere, though I don't have the books on me)."

Moiraine or Perrin. Sammael would have no use for Loial, and its unlikely he knew the political significance of Faile or Lan. The ta'veren and the Aes Sedai are the most likely candidates.

As for how he knew--we don't know. Wards, perhaps, keyed to react to a female channeler, or the use of saidar. Possibly he detected the influence of Perrin's ta'maral'ailen.

He doesn't seem aware that the Seanchan have prophecies unique from the Karaetheon Cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

Might a Dreamwalker be able to kill someone in that dream accessing place? One that is also a channeler?

The ability to channel has both "soul" and genetic components. Channeling strength seems to relate to at least the soul; does channeling strength also relate to genetics?

Strengths in any of the 5, do those relate to either soul or genetics?

Did Moridin know/suspect what would happen when he wove his balefire? The purpose for weaving it was to prevent Rand's from hitting Mashadar?

Might a Dreamwalker be able to kill someone in that dream accessing place? One that is also a channeler?

I guess it's possible yet that place looked separate yet related to T'A'R so the abilities in T'A'R would not carry over. I'm not sure. I'm hazy in that area.

The ability to channel has both "soul" and genetic components. Channeling strength seems to relate to at least the soul; does channeling strength also relate to genetics?

Strengths in any of the 5, do those relate to either soul or genetics?

Good questions. Rand seems to be as strong as LTT so that is support for strength being tied to the soul. Men and women already have their propensities for the five aspects of the OP. In Seanchan, women as strong in Earth as Egwene seem to be exceptionally rare so it's anyone's guess.

Did Moridin know/suspect what would happen when he wove his balefire? The purpose for weaving it was to prevent Rand's from hitting Mashadar?

I think it was simply a reflex action by the two of them. The "crossing streams" was accidential. Atleast to me.

Luckers Edit: removing response to the stuff about grammar.

• 1 month later...

When did the Aiel begin to have clans and septs?

And how were the names of the current ones decided?

Aiel sibling bonding, is there a specific amount of time between the request and the actual ceremony?

The Wise Ones run all such ceremonies (like they have with Elayne's & Aviendha's)?

Would they do opposite gender sibling bondings? They mentioned just same gender ones.

the "mother", ones that would qualify (for the ceremony) would be ones that gave birth and ones not currently pregnant? Any other qualifications?

Only times for a man to go to Rhuidean would be when his clan's chief (or when his sept's chief) died?

Becoming a Wise One, can it be originally the woman's request or is it always an order from current Wise Ones?

• 3 weeks later...

Aiel sibling bonding, is there a specific amount of time between the request and the actual ceremony?

The Wise Ones run all such ceremonies (like they have with Elayne's & Aviendha's)?

Would they do opposite gender sibling bondings? They mentioned just same gender ones.

the "mother", ones that would qualify (for the ceremony) would be ones that gave birth and ones not currently pregnant? Any other qualifications?

Only times for a man to go to Rhuidean would be when his clan's chief (or when his sept's chief) died?

Becoming a Wise One, can it be originally the woman's request or is it always an order from current Wise Ones?

Additional questions::

Which Forsaken told Anaiyella about Rand's "particular care for women"? The 3 most likely seem to be Sammael (before his death), Moghedien (before being captured or after rescue & mindtrapping), and Moridin (anytime after resurrection).

For what reason did Rand go to Far Madding (Winter's Heart)? And whose idea was it? And how did that person know about the place?

K everyone- here's an interesting dillemma- Aes Sedai could once make power-wrought weapons right? Why not just turn steel weapons to cuendillar instead? Seems much easier, judging by the amount of energy perrins hammer took compared to Egwene (who should have been the third ta'veren, not Perrin) turning entire WT harbour chain to cuendillar. Plus cuendillar is unbreakable, and resistant to the OP. I might have missed something, but wouldn't this be a much more efficient way to give an army unbreakable weapons?

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding just iron can be changed to cuendillar. Most weapons seem to use steel.

My questions repeated (with one added)::

Only women can go through Rhuidean's 3-Ring terangreal?

Which Forsaken told Anaiyella about Rand's "particular care for women"? The 3 most likely seem to be Sammael (before his death), Moghedien (before being captured or after rescue & mindtrapping), and Moridin (anytime after resurrection).

For what reason did Rand go to Far Madding (Winter's Heart)? And whose idea was it? And how did that person know about the place?

• 1 month later...

Repeating questions (with some changes)::

Who told Anaiyella about Rand's "particular care for women"? I doubt she figgured it out on her own. The 3 most likely to originate the report seem to be Sammael (before his death), Moghedien (before being captured or after rescue & mindtrapping), and Moridin (anytime after resurrection).

For what reason did Rand go to Far Madding (Winter's Heart)? And whose idea was it (for him to go there)? And how did that person know about the place?

Adding some questions::

The 2 Gray Men in Two Rivers, were they really after Fain?

Aiel chiefs equaling clans (except for Jenn) + septs?

Any limit for the number of Aiel Wise Ones? If so, what is that limit?

The types of aiel women that always become Wise Ones are Dreamwalkers and saidar sparkers?

When did Cadsuane start to search for Rand? Where was she at that time?

She meets him in Crown of Swords.

We don't know specifically. The septs came before the clans (we see their alleigences are already in place before men started going to Rhuidean, and it was after Rhuidean that the clans formed). Probably some time during the first thousand years after the Breaking.

We don't know. They probably evolved like the names of any place or people.

We don't know.

Yes--or do you mean, 'do Wise Ones run all ceremonies?' I have no doubt there are some run by the warrior societies that Wise Ones are not included in. But all normal ceremonies--marriages, etc. Yes.

We don't know on any of these.

Yes.

It's usually at the woman's request. The only women who get forced to it by Wise Ones are those with the Spark, or those who can dreamwalk.

Yes.

Who told Anaiyella about Rand's "particular care for women"? I doubt she figgured it out on her own. The 3 most likely to originate the report seem to be Sammael (before his death), Moghedien (before being captured or after rescue & mindtrapping), and Moridin (anytime after resurrection).

It's not a huge secret. Anaiyella could easily have figured it out on her own.

For what reason did Rand go to Far Madding (Winter's Heart)? And whose idea was it (for him to go there)? And how did that person know about the place?

It was his own idea, and he went in order to trap the renegade Asha'men. He laid out false trails with the intention that the Asha'men would see through it (but think themselves clever for having figured it out). This is how Verin also figured out he was in Far Madding, he left clues he meant others to find, thus drawing the Asha'men into a place where Rand's superior fighting skills gave him the clear advantage.

The 2 Gray Men in Two Rivers, were they really after Fain?

Yes, that seems very likely.

Any limit for the number of Aiel Wise Ones? If so, what is that limit?

No, none.

The types of aiel women that always become Wise Ones are Dreamwalkers and saidar sparkers?

Always? Yes. Though many others do also, only those two types are forced to become Wise Ones.

When did Cadsuane start to search for Rand? Where was she at that time?

Before Cadsuane went searching for Rand, she went after and captured Taim--which would have been directly after Taim was struck down by the vision of Rand fighting Ishamael. I imagine she began her preparations (gathering sisters she could trust, etc) directly after turning Taim over to the other Aes Sedai who had been hunting him.

• 1 month later...

Anaiyella's knowledge of Rand's women treatment; witnessing 2 or more such events I think would have been needed for her to figgure it out on her own. Otherwise she would need confirmation from someone well acquianted with Rand.

If 2 females wear 1 adam (female kind) and if the braclet wearer gets balefired, would the collar wearer also become balefired?

If so, would the balefire's time be magnified (since the adam magnifies things done to the suldam)?

Rand's balefire on Rahvin; how much time (both Telaranrhiod and waking world) did it undo?

How much time (both worlds) did Rand spend in that visit up to then?

After returning to waking world, Aviendha tells him that he like disappeared; He entered after she died. How could she have remembered the disappearance?

If a channeler enters Telaranrhiod through sleep and balefires someone/something, would the balefire be same with the same channeler being there in flesh?

If 2 females wear 1 adam (female kind) and if the braclet wearer gets balefired, would the collar wearer also become balefired?

If so, would the balefire's time be magnified (since the adam magnifies things done to the suldam)?

I would guess that this is correct.

After returning to waking world, Aviendha tells him (Rand) that he like disappeared; He entered after she died. How could she have remembered the disappearance?

Because Rand had balefired Rhavin back far enough that Avi was no longer dead, therefore she never died, therefore she saw him disappear into Tel'aran'rhiod

Not sure how to answer the other questions :P

After returning to waking world, Aviendha tells him (Rand) that he like disappeared; He entered after she died. How could she have remembered the disappearance?
Because Rand had balefired Rhavin back far enough that Avi was no longer dead, therefore she never died, therefore she saw him disappear into Tel'aran'rhiod
From Rand's POV after the scene (emphasis mine)::
Asmodean sat on a bench in the shade of a red myrtle tree, playing his harp. Rand wondered whether the man knew what had happed, or suspected. He should have no memory--for him, it never happened--but who could say what one of the Forsaken knew or could reason out?

Was Rand wrong there?

Edit::

repeating the unanswered questions.

Rand's balefire on Rahvin; how much time (both Telaranrhiod and waking world) did it undo?

If a channeler enters Telaranrhiod through sleep and balefires someone/something, would the balefire be same with the same channeler being there in flesh?

Another edit::

adding other questions.

Before coming to Emond's field, Moiraine knew about Nynaeve and aobut Nynaeve's predecessor. When/Where/How did Moiraine get the info?

hair & eye genetics in this series; which colors are dominant and which are recessive? Just making sure.

Does Rand ever find out about the attack on Demira and/or does he ever get an explanation for the 7 Aes Sedia encounter?

repeating the comment and adding related questions.

Anaiyella's knowledge of Rand's women treatment; witnessing 2 or more such events I think would have been needed for her to figgure it out on her own. Otherwise she would need confirmation from someone well acquianted with Rand.

Did Anaiyella witness 2 such events or get confirmation from Rand's acquiantances? If events, which ones? Or if acquiantance, who?

adding other questions:

The books tell that Salidar was abandoned since Whitecloak War. Yet in Fires of Heaven and in beginning portion of Lord of Chaos, there were others than those who fled from the Tower.

Where did those people come from?

And why did they travel with the rebels?

When doing Skimming, the platform always moves toward the opposite end?

The channeler making the Gateway needs to be the first one on to the platform and last one off from the platform?

If two or more Skimming type Gateways are done during some common period of time, might each person/group be able to see each other in that black area?

Were Nynaeve and Elayne the first ones Ronde Macura fed forkroot to?

If so, how did Ronde know that it would shield them? Later joining Seanchan seems to indicate that she was neither a sparker nor trained in the One Power.

How did Min know that the 3rd lover had a temper? (Fires of Heaven Chapter 50)

If a set of saidar chanellers are linked with a set of adams, would the first be able to control all of them?

How did Barashta came to be called Ebou Dar or Rahad?

Why did Sammael flee to Shadar Logoth?

How did Moridin know to go there?

The memories the Eelfinn gave Mat; I know they come from people who went through either doorway or through the tower.

Did the Eelfinn randomly choose or intentionally choose the people & memories?

• 1 month later...

rearranging my questions.

Asmodean sat on a bench in the shade of a red myrtle tree, playing his harp. Rand wondered whether the man knew what had happed, or suspected. He should have no memory--for him, it never happened--but who could say what one of the Forsaken knew or could reason out?

Was Rand wrong there?

The repeats::

Did Anaiyella witness 2 such events or get confirmation from Rand's acquiantances? If events, which ones? Or if acquiantance, who?

other questions::

Before coming to Emond's field, Moiraine knew about Nynaeve and aobut Nynaeve's predecessor. When/Where/How did Moiraine get the info?

hair & eye genetics in this series; which colors are dominant and which are recessive? Just making sure.

Does Rand ever find out about the attack on Demira and/or does he ever get an explanation for the 7 Aes Sedia encounter?

The books tell that Salidar was abandoned since Whitecloak War. Yet in Fires of Heaven and in beginning portion of Lord of Chaos, there were others than those who fled from the Tower.

The channeler making the Gateway needs to be the first one on to the platform and last one off from the platform?

If two or more Skimming type Gateways are done during some common period of time, might each person/group be able to see each other in that black area?

Is Skimming always 30 minutes?

If so, how did Ronde know that it would shield them? Later joining Seanchan seems to indicate that she was neither a sparker nor trained in the One Power.

If a set of saidar chanellers are linked with a set of adams, would the first be able to control all of them?

The memories the Eelfinn gave Mat; I know they come from people who went through either doorway or through the tower.

I'll do my best:

Was Rand wrong there?

No, I don't think he was. Balefire isn't the same as time Travel - the Pattern simply snaps when certain threads are burnt out of it, and does its best to reconcile the paradox. For example, clearly Rand did Travel to the throne room even though Mat and Aviendha weren't killed by Rahvin, and continued in the trajectory his fight with Rahvin took him even though there wasn't a Rahvin for him to battle there anymore. Instead of Aviendha seeing Rand kneel over a body that's not there anymore then Traveling, he just disappeared. Does that make any sense?

Oh, I don't know. Apparently just after the trollocs revealed themselves but before Rahvin killed Mat, Asmodean and Aviendha. Probably about half an hour, wouldn't you say?

I see no reason why not, except that one can't channel with the same strength when Dreaming oneself into tel'aran'rhiod.

Anaiyella's knowledge of Rand's women treatment

Rand did shelter the Maidens throughout TFoH. Plus what he did for Isendre. It shouldn't have been that hard to figure out. But exactly when did Anaiyella comment on it (so I'd know what she had to go by)?

No, she didn't. She asked questions once there, and folks told her about the unusually young Wisdom. The rest she deduced from what she knew about Sparkers who go undiscovered.

hair & eye genetics in this series; which colors are dominant and which are recessive?

I assume it's the same as in real life. An example of that would be the Tinkers, who have dark hair and eyes even though they set out as Aiel.

No, I don't think so.

Do you mean the camp followers? The kind of people who always appear when a large army is involved? If you can supply a relevant quote, perhaps I could be more helpful.

Seems so. If that's something determined by the metaphysics of Skimming or the psyche of channelers, I can't say.

Again, that seems to be the case.

We know it's possible (Rand does it with Asmodean), but Egwene said it's extremely difficult to achieve.

Is Skimming always 30 minutes?

Why would you think that?

Indeed, she can't channel. And no, she seemed to know something of how it works before she took the wondergirls. How she learned of it, and managed to keep it a secret, I have no clue.

Sometimes Min just knows things. When the knowing is part of the Viewing, you can take it to the bank.

An a'dam doesn't allow Linking, so I don't think such a connection is possible (perhaps it just wouldn't work, or perhaps the people involved would die a horrible death?)

No clue. The Rahad is simply a barrow of the city, so presumably it could've been called that before the name of the city changed.

Rand spoiled his webs in Ilian, but Sammael took his time before returning. Perhaps he prepared the trap in SL in the meanwhile? Moridin did say that he liked destroying people near to something they'd consider an achievement, so that might've inspired the location.

He was the Watcher, after all. And quite surely Na'eblis even then.

RJ said they just used (what they considered to be) junk, I seem to recall.

The other Salidar people; mentioned in these chapters::

-Fires of Heaven Chapters 26 & 50

-Crown of Swords Chapter 9

Edit::

Anaiyella's comment:

"Oh, no," Anaiyella added, with a delicate shudder. Even her tone simpered! "Nasty things, battles. So my Master of the Horse says. Surely you won't make us go, my Lord Dragon? We've heard you have a particular care for women. Haven't we, Ailil?
Path of Daggers Chapter 22

Archived