DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

In Telaranrhiod a visitor can imagine various things into existence and various things out of existence.  Might that apply also to residents of the place (Heroes/wolves/etc)?

The guide tells wild animals besides just wolves live in Telaranrhiod.  Do those also have people that could talk with them?

Rand told (from Lews Therin's memories) that shadowspawn do not survive going through gateways; it was demonstrated on Trollocs and Myrddraal.  Would it apply to also darkhounds & dragkar & gray men & cafar & jamara (worms) & forger & zomara? not gholam?

Deathgates, saidin version adds Earth to regular gateway; would saidar version also add Earth to their regular gateway?

The physical effect of Balefire is it similar to the physical effect of Blossoms of Fire?

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Telaranrhiod a visitor can imagine various things into existence and various things out of existence.  Might that apply also to residents of the place (Heroes/wolves/etc)?

I've never thought of that. I can't recall that we have seen it happen, but I would be very surprised if they couldn't do it.

The guide tells wild animals besides just wolves live in Telaranrhiod.  Do those also have people that could talk with them?

I would guess that noone can. I hope that noone can.

Rand told (from Lews Therin's memories) that shadowspawn do not survive going through gateways; it was demonstrated on Trollocs and Myrddraal.  Would it apply to also darkhounds & dragkar & gray men & cafar & jamara (worms) & forger & zomara? not gholam?

They are all shadowspawn, so I think it applies to all of them. I think they too were made with the TP.

The physical effect of Balefire is it similar to the physical effect of Blossoms of Fire?

No. The general effect seems very different, so I don't think there are any similarities at all.

do you mean what it does? then no

or do you mean the appearence of how they look? then no

if i were to describe how these thins look, the things i first think of would be for balefire to look similar to the Spartan laser in Halo. similar but not exact.

and the Fire blossoms would be more like the Hammer of Dawn in Gears of war, but a little bit bigger, it even got the sound right-ish

• 2 weeks later...

this question doesn't really need a topic of it's own so i'll just put it here.

is garlic good against wolf...ism? (turning in to a wolf-man)

i'm asiking this cause in LoC when perrin is on his way towards Dumai Wells, right before he reaches his mind out to the wolfes on the first night, he thinks about Two Rivers and how some of the refugees brought stories of people turning in too wolfes.

three people claimed to have seen it happen themselves, two of these kept avioding to look at him in a way that it sort of confirmed it that they knew what he is.

and here's the point, those two also refused to go out at night and they were always giving him garlic, which he ate with great apetite.

why were they continualy giving him a bunch of garlic?

my first guess would be vampire-legends from past ages but we've never seen any sort of those legends at all.

i know this is a very small issue, but i'm bored so lets just go with it

my first guess would be vampire-legends from past ages but we've never seen any sort of those legends at all.

Garlic doesn't just ward against vampires. And hell, some folklore has vampires and werewolves as pretty much the same thing to start with. One in life, the other in death.

I don't feel like starting a thread entirely for a small question so it will go here.

One of Egwene's dreams from TDR Ch. 37:

Men and women breaking out of a cage, then putting on crowns.

Everyone seems to take this to mean the Forsaken escaping, but could it perhaps refer to Graendal's menagerie escaping and taking up their crowns again?

My reasoning is that it is followed by this in the dreams:

A woman playing with puppets, and another dream where the strings on puppets led to the hands of larger puppets, and their strings led to still greater puppets, on and on until the last strings vanished into unimaginable heights.

I can only see this as being Graendal. There is no one else who fits this so perfectly. The fact that these are back to back make me wonder what would happen if you cut those last strings... Most likely you would end up with the result of the first quote.

I don't feel like starting a thread entirely for a small question so it will go here.

One of Egwene's dreams from TDR Ch. 37:

Men and women breaking out of a cage, then putting on crowns.

Everyone seems to take this to mean the Forsaken escaping, but could it perhaps refer to Graendal's menagerie escaping and taking up their crowns again?

My reasoning is that it is followed by this in the dreams:

A woman playing with puppets, and another dream where the strings on puppets led to the hands of larger puppets, and their strings led to still greater puppets, on and on until the last strings vanished into unimaginable heights.

I can only see this as being Graendal. There is no one else who fits this so perfectly. The fact that these are back to back make me wonder what would happen if you cut those last strings... Most likely you would end up with the result of the first quote.

I think you're definitely over-analyzing the first one. I can't see it being anything other than the Forsaken breaking out and assuming thrones. The timing is too good, and it fits too well.

Garlic doesn't just ward against vampires. And hell, some folklore has vampires and werewolves as pretty much the same thing to start with. One in life, the other in death.

huh, i did not know that. thank you

Men and women breaking out of cage is in fact the Forsaken breaking free and taking control of several nations.

As for the puppets on strings, controlled by other puppets on strings and etc, I just take that to signify the multiple levels of the Darkfriend hierarchy.

Men and women breaking out of cage is in fact the Forsaken breaking free and taking control of several nations.

I am wondering if you have a quote for this from RJ or somewhere in the books.

As for the puppets on strings, controlled by other puppets on strings and etc, I just take that to signify the multiple levels of the Darkfriend hierarchy.

I think there is more to it than that. Perhaps not, I will have to go review this section of Egwene's dreams.

I am wondering if you have a quote for this from RJ or somewhere in the books.

I think there is more to it than that. Perhaps not, I will have to go review this section of Egwene's dreams.

The second could also interpreted as Egwene/ Elaida and the AS hierarchy or Tuon and the Seekers/damane-Suldam structure.

Also wanted to ask a question I'd posted elsewhere. Can Compulsion be used on Ogiers? If so, it may give GLoD  and his minions a major lever. They're stronger than trollocs, far smarter and more knowledgeable than the average human being, and the Seanchan Gardeners have centuries worth of battle experience, which means they may be the only folks that can match Mat in terms of tactical trickiness. 

• 2 weeks later...

The terangreal used to test those becoming Accepted, what is that voice in the background?

For what reason did Rand summon Gawyn in Lord of Chaos?

Why does Far Madding ban Verin?  How long ago did Verin find out about it?

If a Hero were to die in Telaranrhiod (in between spinnings) by a non-balefire method, does it die permanently or does it have a chance at rebirth?  If a Hero were to be balefired in Telaranrhiod, there would be no chance of rebirth?

Birgitte, was she the first Hero ripped out or were others ripped out before her?

Wounds/Injuries taken in Telaranrhiod are still there when the person wakes up.  Would awake people be able to witness the appearing of those wounds/injuries?

Would waking world treatment affect a Telaranrhiod visitor in anyway?  Might this depend on the treatment?

For what reason did Rand summon Gawyn in Lord of Chaos?

If a Hero were to die in Telaranrhiod (in between spinnings) by a non-balefire method, does it die permanently or does it have a chance at rebirth?  If a Hero were to be balefired in Telaranrhiod, there would be no chance of rebirth?

For the first one Rand summoned him because he just wanted to talk to him and probably clear some stuff up about Morgase.

For the next I'm not really sure if they would be killed permenanatly but I don't think it happens very often. The heroes of the horn are like masters of Telaranrhoid and people never see them unless they want to be seen.

The terangreal used to test those becoming Accepted, what is that voice in the background?

The one saying 'the way back comes but once'? It's the Mistress of Novices--in this case Sheriam.

Why does Far Madding ban Verin?  How long ago did Verin find out about it?

They didn't 'ban' her, they issued a warrent for her arrest. We don't know why. And it occured 40 years ago--presumably Verin knew immediately since she'd just done the things Far Madding ordered her arrest for.

• 1 month later...

Shaidar Haran's pain & weakness when far from Shayol Ghul for a long time, was it always like that or did it start after some event?

Besides ripping out, how might a Forsaken harm a Hero (in between spinnings)?

How did Moghedien work the appearances of Galad wherever Egwene went in Telaranrhiod?

Shaidar Haran's pain & weakness when far from Shayol Ghul for a long time, was it always like that or did it start after some event?

Besides ripping out, how might a Forsaken harm a Hero (in between spinnings)?

How did Moghedien work the appearances of Galad wherever Egwene went in Telaranrhiod?

SH's PoV seems to suggest it had always been that way for him.

What do you mean by Moggy working Galad to haunt Egwene in TAR??

There's no such incident hence no such inference.

If you mean Gawyn, the WO tell Eg it's happening because she's fixated on him,

Happened to Melaine and Bael as well.

What do you mean by Moggy working Galad to haunt Egwene in TAR??

There's no such incident hence no such inference.

I was referring to Egwene's situation in Fires of Heaven Chapter 25.  It was after meeting with Elayne.

• 3 weeks later...

Egwene's situation in Fires of Heaven Chapter 25, how did Moghedien cause it?

What kind of harm can come to a Hero in between spinnings (besides being ripped out)?

The weave that bonds someone as a Warder, what would happen if the same channeler does it again on the same warder a second time (or more times)?

Can a person be able to detect a Warder by just looking at the face? (Not all Warders wear fancloth)

Warders don't have any exceptionally distingishable physical characteristics (height, eye/hair color, ageless face) but are generally recognized by being heavily armed, their posture, the way they walk, and other such actions that give them the appearance of a highly trained killing machine.  Constantly being in the vicinity of AS is usually a pretty big give away as well.

Egwene's situation in Fires of Heaven Chapter 25, how did Moghedien cause it?

A more elaborate version of the normal dream manipulation--she didn't just create an object she created a dreamscape. It can happen accidentally--people dream themselves into TAR whilst having a nightmare and leave the nightmare behind. That's what got Sheriam and the others in trouble with Trollocs.

As to how she made it with people Egwene knew and she didn't--I don't know. Maybe it works on the same principal as the Accepted ter'angreal, allowing the person in the dreamscape to form the nature of the dream.

What kind of harm can come to a Hero in between spinnings (besides being ripped out)?

Gaidal implies that if they obey the prescripts they can't be harmed--whether that means they actually are protected from harm, or just don't come into harmsway because of it I don't know.

The weave that bonds someone as a Warder, what would happen if the same channeler does it again on the same warder a second time (or more times)?

No idea. We won't know till we see it.

i highly doubt there would be any difference at all since the bond is already there.

but that reminds me of another thing.

this will be pure speculation for now, but what woulod happen if an Aes Sedai would bond an Ashaman and the Ashaman would in turn bond the Aes Sedai in any given order?

How did Moghedien cast Birgitte out from Telaranrhiod?

Found a quote somewhat related to that question.

Here it is::

When Moghedien ripped out Birgitte from Tel’aran’rhiod, she "short-circuited" the Pattern by bringing in an adult "in the flesh" instead of letting Birgitte join Gaidal Cain the "normal" way. He said also that Gaidal Cain might not have any role to play in Tarmon Gai'don.

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/03/plots-characters-and-wheel-of-time.html

Archived