DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

Bonding against the warder's permission is possible; passing (or making preparations for passing) can be done against the warder's permission.

Could passing be done against the other holder's permission?

You mean another channeler stealing the bond--I don't know. I think it's unlikely. Birgitte tells a story of an Accepted that bonds a man who is 'forced' to transfer the bond to another, which to me seems to suggest that she was the one who had to do it.

I understood him to mean passing the bond to an unwilling recipient.  :-\

Yes, that was what I was asking about.  Thanks for the answers, both of you.

2 or more oaths on the Oath Rod causes agelessness; 3 certainly shortens the channeler's lifespan.  Would the number of oaths sworn (any time) be a factor of lifespan?

Could the number of oaths (before agelessness) determine when agelessness occurs?

A number of Aes Sedia have sworn additional oaths on some binder (which was after they have achieved agelessness); could we expect some kind of physical change to those Aes Sedia?

A number of Aes Sedia forsworn then re-sworn oaths; would they live longer than others bound to the Oath Rod?

Steddings, Far Madding,presence of Shadar Haran; each of those 3 prevent channeling.  Would there be some kind of reaction with those 3 and the foxhead medallion (like there is with the medallion and gholams)?

Compulsion can cause the victim to obey and/or to answer questions (I take truthfully); could it affect what the victim believes/thinks?

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Trollocs are part animal & part human.  Is the animal part the distinction for the trolloc tribes?  Or is the distinction location?  Or is the distinction something else?

How much did Moiraine tell Egwene/Nynaeve/Lan about Rand in Eye of the World; just the fact he could channel or more than that?

How long after the meeting at the Eye did Moiraine conclude he was the Dragon Reborn?

Egwene & Nynaeve first found out at Falme?

In Knife of Dreams there were found 5 copies of the sad bracelets with the original.  Were those 5 made by the Seanchan or by same person who made the original?

Is the animal part the distinction for the trolloc tribes?
Given that we see characters tell them apart via their insignia, not their animal features, that would be doubtful.

Were those 5 made by the Seanchan or by same person who made the original?

Seanchan.

2 or more oaths on the Oath Rod causes agelessness; 3 certainly shortens the channeler's lifespan.  Would the number of oaths sworn (any time) be a factor of lifespan?

Actually it only takes one oath to shorten life--Semirhage states that she was offered the choice of either accepting a binding and thus knowing the approach of death, or being severed. It may be that more oaths increase the degree to which ones life is shortened thought--we don't know the details.

Could the number of oaths (before agelessness) determine when agelessness occurs?

No, Aes Sedai all swear the same number of oaths, but the agelessness comes at different times.

A number of Aes Sedia have sworn additional oaths on some binder (which was after they have achieved agelessness); could we expect some kind of physical change to those Aes Sedia?

Maybe. One would think that an age as enlightened as the Age of Legends would prepare for the possibility of false convictions, and thus be able to undo the damage of that false conviction in the light of new evidence. But who knows--after all America still has the death penalty which is the ultimate proof against this point.

So... maybe.

A number of Aes Sedia forsworn then re-sworn oaths; would they live longer than others bound to the Oath Rod?

Possibly. It depends whether the oath rod halves lives or halves the life you would have remaining. Or if its a cumulative effect--i.e. for each year you have the oaths you use a year of prospective life.

If it halves lives, then no--even if they foreswore now they'd still die. If it halves the life you have remaining then yes, they would now live longer. If its a cumulative effect then no, they'd still die around the same time unless they foreswear completely and did not replace them.

Steddings, Far Madding,presence of Shadar Haran; each of those 3 prevent channeling.  Would there be some kind of reaction with those 3 and the foxhead medallion (like there is with the medallion and gholams)?

Shaidar Haren's presence doesn't actually prevent channeling--that seems a power in him, to be exercised at will and possibly only on people with links to the Dark One.

As for your question--no. Both Nynaeve and Cadsuane have a ter'angreal like Mat's medallion and both enter Far Madding without any effect. It might be different with a stedding, but i doubt it.

Compulsion can cause the victim to obey and/or to answer questions (I take truthfully); could it affect what the victim believes/thinks?

Yes. Elza and her belief in Rand needing to reach the Last Battle alive makes this clear.

How much did Moiraine tell Egwene/Nynaeve/Lan about Rand in Eye of the World; just the fact he could channel or more than that?

Based on their PoV's, just that.

How long after the meeting at the Eye did Moiraine conclude he was the Dragon Reborn?

I'm guessing she was pretty cluey before--Aiel looking fellow in the Two Rivers? But yes the events at the Eye made it certain.

In Knife of Dreams there were found 5 copies of the sad bracelets with the original.  Were those 5 made by the Seanchan or by same person who made the original?

The Seanchan. The original was made during the Breaking and its maker is thousands of years dead.

Luckers : I always assumed that the "distant weave breaking" ter'angreal was more of an "illusion shattering" ter'angreal. Especially if Cadsuane isn't in control of it (it's one of the ones that she doesn't know the use of), she'd be breaking weaves left right and centre inadvertently with it.

On the other hand I can see a distinct use and reason to make a ter'angreal that would break illusions and so far that is the only time we've seen it used for anything.

Luckers : I always assumed that the "distant weave breaking" ter'angreal was more of an "illusion shattering" ter'angreal. Especially if Cadsuane isn't in control of it (it's one of the ones that she doesn't know the use of), she'd be breaking weaves left right and centre inadvertently with it.

On the other hand I can see a distinct use and reason to make a ter'angreal that would break illusions and so far that is the only time we've seen it used for anything.

Consider [paraphrase] that Nynaeve says 'someone is channeling' to which Rand asks 'who' and Cadsuane replies 'I don't know, but if we can get closer I can do something about it'.

Cadsuane doesn't know what weave is being used but states that she can do something nevertheless. The same quote also shows that she does in fact know the use of it--and that it is likely the fish for that matter. AND that she controls its actions--and is thus not breaking weave right left and centre.

I would say though that it is my belief that Semirhage had weaves designed to induce so much pain in the individual that they cannot channel pre-woven as a part of the trap--allowing her to collar all who came with Rand--and that they were also broken by Cadsuane's ter'angreal.

Is linking possible with the True Power?  If so, are the gender restrictions absent (men link without women, women exceed 13 without men)?

And if so, would true power channelers be able to link with saidin channelers and/or saidar channelers?  If that is so, would there be restrictions on the numbers there?

In Eye of the World how did Loial know Rand & Mat & Perrin were taveren?  Or was he guessing?

Would an Ogier's Treesinging work inside an stedding?

The notes played, would those determine the size and type of item produced?

And if so, would true power channelers be able to link with saidin channelers and/or saidar channelers?
I wouldn't recommend trying it.

In Eye of the World how did Loial know Rand & Mat & Perrin were taveren?
Inferred it from what Rand told him.

Would an Ogier's Treesinging work inside an stedding?
Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

The darkfriend meeting in the prologue of Great Hunt, was it in Telaranrhiod or in the waking world?

Wards against eavesdropping, would gateways be able to used against those?

Could gateways intersect ground and/or walls?

Going through a gateway, does it need to be from the side it was opened from or can it be either side?

Semirhage is able to channel at various parts of a person's brain; which I suspect was how she gained Cabriana's information.  Would something similar be able to detect if someone has bonded a person and/or is bonded to a person?  If so, would it be able to detect to whom?

Egeanin's & Doman's wedding, was it done in the same way as Perrin's & Faile's?

In Knife of Dreams (and I think also in Crossroads of Twilight), it was told that a number of women were good at Nynaeve's Healing.  On what has it been tested on?

The darkfriend meeting in the prologue of Great Hunt, was it in Telaranrhiod or in the waking world?

Well, it definately wasn't in TAR--you cannot enter the Blight in TAR, and this took place at Shayol Ghoul.

Wards against eavesdropping, would gateways be able to used against those?

You mean open a tiny gateway inside and listen through it? Probably, but that would be pretty dangerous. If someone walked into it it would be very icky.

Could gateways intersect ground and/or walls?

No reason why not.

Going through a gateway, does it need to be from the side it was opened from or can it be either side?

The side from which you opened it.

Semirhage is able to channel at various parts of a person's brain; which I suspect was how she gained Cabriana's information.  Would something similar be able to detect if someone has bonded a person and/or is bonded to a person?  If so, would it be able to detect to whom?

Don't know. That bond seems to be a function of the soul (given its snapped when people are severed), so I would say probably not.

In Knife of Dreams (and I think also in Crossroads of Twilight), it was told that a number of women were good at Nynaeve's Healing.  On what has it been tested on?

There are always small injuries in an army, and add to that the food spoilage that is rapant and there is a strong and constant need for Healing.

Do the rebel Witches still travel to Salidar to receive their messages? Is Salidar in Seanchan controlled territory?

Chanellers can make swords with the OP. Could they make swords for armies to use?

Do the rebel Witches still travel to Salidar to receive their messages? Is Salidar in Seanchan controlled territory?

We don't know, but... witches?

Chanellers can make swords with the OP. Could they make swords for armies to use?

No. They are oathbound not to. Or did you mean the damane? The probably could but don't seem to know how.

I mean anyone not held by the oaths, male or female. They can create swords(Siuan in TGH), but can they make them a real object that anyone can handle? The oath seems to imply that it is possible, but I didn't see any mention of what would be a really useful ability. I always wondered where all the Aes Sedai (better?) money came from.

Aes Sedai own a fair amount of land. They also get money from taxing the trade that runs through Tar Valon. They do not use the Power to make items for others (with the current exception of cuendillar stemming from the rebels desperate need for funds).

But yes, swords and the like can be made or strengthened using the power, but none currently alive seem to know the how of it.

Semirhage is able to channel at various parts of a person's brain; which I suspect was how she gained Cabriana's information.
In a sense. She stimulated the pain centres of the brain, until she gave out the information Semi wanted. She was tortured, in other words.

you cannot enter the Blight in TAR

Where is this stated?  I have not read that anywhere.

Checked the blight & Telaranrhiod pages on the Encyclopaedia site and checked the blog pages & TOR question pages on the wotmania site.

Ogier steddings & Rhuidean were the only places mentioned in the books.

You know what? Making a gateway right behind yourself sounds awesome! Then I can get rid of that annoying itch on my back >.>

Dude, think about it. It'd be like looking at mirrors reflecting each other. You'd see your back, and just beyond you would be the gateway, where you'd see your back, where just beyond it would be a gateway... argh!

you cannot enter the Blight in TAR

Where is this stated?  I have not read that anywhere.

Checked the blight & Telaranrhiod pages on the Encyclopaedia site and checked the blog pages & TOR question pages on the wotmania site.

Ogier steddings & Rhuidean were the only places mentioned in the books.

RJ stated it at a signing. The full comment was "You cannot enter the Blight from Tel’aran’rhiod because it is apart from normal universe and cannot be touched."

New random idea to consider but didnt want to open a new thread.

Has anyone considered the idea that Sha'rah boards might be Ter'angreal?

Uhm, no.

The only thing that made me consider it is that Im sure some sort of board game was found by one of the good guys IIRC (not Snakes and Foxes) and I find it very strange that the Fisher King resembles AND represents Rand in Moridins game. I wonder.

The only game-like ter'angreal I recall are the chance dice that the Liandrin's crew stole.

In any case Sha'rah is just a game, it is used as a metaphor by Moridin, much as many characters use stones for with politics, but it is a still just a style of game.

Archived