DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

Would a non-channeler be able to break out of a box of Air?

The foxhead medallion, would it be able to protect a chain of people that physically touch each other if it touches the skin of one of them; or does it protect only the wearer?

Would it protect the wearer from weaves that go around a person (like Illusion or Folded Light)?

Did Rand know of Nynaeve's block?  If so, did he know that it was broken when he asked her to assist in the Cleansing?

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The headaches and bad dreams Egwene has been having, would both be a product of the One Power?  It seems that Arangar has been causing both.

One of Aran'gar's jobs was blocking Egwene's ability to dream--she was a weak dreamwalker and so had to be sleeping nearby to do that. The headaches were her excuse to be close, the bad dreams were the result of her blocking Egwene's ability--or possibly the limited use of compulsion--Morgase has similar dreams whilst under Rhavin's control.

My question of how Birgitte was ripped out, I think I might have come up with one possibility: Moghedien doing a gateway then used Air to push Birgitte out after causing Birgitte to be naked.  Might this have worked?

No, RJ stated that things of the dream cannot be travelled out of TAR.

Would a non-channeler be able to break out of a box of Air?

Lan was able to throw himself through a flow of air in Ebou Dar when he knocked down Ispan and Falion, so maybe--though i have this feeling the RJ said no to this. So... yeah..

The foxhead medallion, would it be able to protect a chain of people that physically touch each other if it touches the skin of one of them; or does it protect only the wearer?

I would assume only those directly touching the medalion itself.

Would it protect the wearer from weaves that go around a person (like Illusion or Folded Light)?

Weaves disapear slightly before they touch those wearing such ter'angreal, so it depends on how close those weaves were. We see Joline incite sparks around Mat, presumably using a weave quite close to Mat's skin but not close enough to be disrupted.

Recall too that anything woven by the person themselves is not disrupted. We see Cadsuane masking her ability.

Did Rand know of Nynaeve's block?  If so, did he know that it was broken when he asked her to assist in the Cleansing?

He did not know of her block.

• 2 weeks later...

From how the Guide describes Whitebridge (the actual bridge), it seems that the bridge is cuendillar.  Is this confirmed or denied elsewhere?

Iron (that is black) turns to white when turned into cuendillar.  Is it known what colors other metals turn to when turned into cuendillar?  How would other colors be achieved?

Since cuendillar comes from metal, would a Finder last indefinitely on it?

What would balefire do to something that is only partially cuendillar (like on one of Bodewhin's creations)?

Why does the White Tower ban/forbid Compulsion?

Besides this and Balefire, does it ban/forbid other weaves?

Myrddraal's ability to use shadows to get to & from places, is there a distance limit on that or is it possible with any distance?

Might a Myrddraal use this ability to access other dimensions?

Could the Portal Stones be used to access Telaranrhiod?  If so, would this be the same as entering in the flesh?

As far as we know, mb, only iron can be used to make cuendillar, so no other metals (or colors) would apply, and I imagine that balefire would destroy the non-cuendillar portion of an item such as you described while leaving the rest of it intact.

From how the Guide describes Whitebridge (the actual bridge), it seems that the bridge is cuendillar.  Is this confirmed or denied elsewhere?

Iron (that is black) turns to white when turned into cuendillar.  Is it known what colors other metals turn to when turned into cuendillar?  How would other colors be achieved?

We don't know what leads to cuendillar of other types--but my impression was always that the White Bridge was made from spinglass.

Since cuendillar comes from metal, would a Finder last indefinitely on it?

No idea.

What would balefire do to something that is only partially cuendillar (like on one of Bodewhin's creations)?

Destroy the part thats not.

Why does the White Tower ban/forbid Compulsion?

Because its disgusting--like raping someones mind.

Besides this and Balefire, does it ban/forbid other weaves?

It bans unweaving, and drawing heat into yourself--but only because both are dangerous. Other than balefire and compulsion i know of no weave banned for the safety of thers.

Myrddraal's ability to use shadows to get to & from places, is there a distance limit on that or is it possible with any distance?

Might a Myrddraal use this ability to access other dimensions?

Could the Portal Stones be used to access Telaranrhiod?  If so, would this be the same as entering in the flesh?

Not as far as we know, to all three questions.

About cuendillar colors, the seals have both white & black; so there would either be another metal that turns black or a way to turn iron so that the end process would result in black.

About Compulsion, some things that the white tower seems to allow might be considered similar to it::

-"twisting" on Warder bond

-mandatory swearing on Oath Rod

-oaths of fealty on Oath Rod

Was it just me or was the Rebel AS Ceullendar only white? Does that mean they would need Men to make Black Cuellendar? The reason I ask is the seals are black and white, if Saidin can make black and Saidar makes white that would indicate that Saidar was used to make the seals when we were lead to believe that only Saidin was used.

Was it just me or was the Rebel AS Ceullendar only white? Does that mean they would need Men to make Black Cuellendar? The reason I ask is the seals are black and white, if Saidin can make black and Saidar makes white that would indicate that Saidar was used to make the seals when we were lead to believe that only Saidin was used.

First off, good catch on the color, mb.

Shard, I don't know that women helped with the seals, what with the Fateful Concorde and all. You might be onto something though,. Instead of different metals causing different colors, maybe it's something else, like adding additional flows or something, like glazing pottery, and the SAS simply haven't figured that out yet, nor have we seen other examples of colored cuendillar ( it is rare, after all).  :-\

About cuendillar colors, the seals have both white & black; so there would either be another metal that turns black or a way to turn iron so that the end process would result in black.

Yes, there is also the Sad Bracelets, which are a form of cuendillar.

About Compulsion, some things that the white tower seems to allow might be considered similar to it::

-"twisting" on Warder bond

-mandatory swearing on Oath Rod

-oaths of fealty on Oath Rod

The twisting of the Warder Bond is indeed compulsion--which is why it doesn't work on Rand whilst he is holding saidin--and some Aes Sedai do seem to feel it is such--Moiraine, for instance, who utterly disdained it's use.

Also technically the swearing of the oaths is not mandatory--its a requirement of becoming a sister. Accepted can leave if they choose to. And the oaths themselves are not compelled--they are freely undertaken, and binding--but no matter how foolish they are still freely undertaken. Though there may be some argument for the indoctrination of novices in affecting that.

Was it just me or was the Rebel AS Ceullendar only white? Does that mean they would need Men to make Black Cuellendar? The reason I ask is the seals are black and white, if Saidin can make black and Saidar makes white that would indicate that Saidar was used to make the seals when we were lead to believe that only Saidin was used. Was it just me or was the Rebel AS Ceullendar only white? Does that mean they would need Men to make Black Cuellendar? The reason I ask is the seals are black and white, if Saidin can make black and Saidar makes white that would indicate that Saidar was used to make the seals when we were lead to believe that only Saidin was used.

Women did not help to make the seals. We know this as a fact--all women strong enough signed the Fateful Concord, and men acted alone. This is stated by both RJ and within the Guide.

Besides who created the Sad Bracelet cuendillar--hermaphrodites?

I know they didn't help, I was just asking why all the Rebel Camp Cuendillar was white.

An argument could be made that they made the seals but refused to go to Shayol Ghul.

The headaches and bad dreams Egwene has been having, would both be a product of the One Power?  It seems that Arangar has been causing both.

One of Aran'gar's jobs was blocking Egwene's ability to dream--she was a weak dreamwalker and so had to be sleeping nearby to do that. The headaches were her excuse to be close, the bad dreams were the result of her blocking Egwene's ability--or possibly the limited use of compulsion--Morgase has similar dreams whilst under Rhavin's control.

I don't think we know this with any certainty.

Aran'gar was using some kind of weave on Egwene for sure, but what kind and what it's purpose was, we never got to find out.  Unlikely as it may seem, it may have been simply to cause pain.  Balthamel is/was a sadist.

My own speculation was that it was Compulsion, but not to block the Dreams, rather to relate them only to Halima and then to forget having had them.  The headaches were, I think, a side-effect from Egwene subconsciously trying to break through the Compulsion.

I know they didn't help, I was just asking why all the Rebel Camp Cuendillar was white.

An argument could be made that they made the seals but refused to go to Shayol Ghul.

So, again, who made the Sad Bracelets? The third style of cuendillar we've so far seen.

The majority of cuendillar is white. Alternate types are rare--perhaps the use of masters, or involving the influence of different skills. Indeed this seems the most likely to me. The only cuendillar we have seen which has not been white has been that which serves other purposes. The Sad Bracelets, the Seals--both do something other than simply be super hard.

I don't think we know this with any certainty.

Aran'gar was using some kind of weave on Egwene for sure, but what kind and what it's purpose was, we never got to find out.  Unlikely as it may seem, it may have been simply to cause pain.  Balthamel is/was a sadist.

My own speculation was that it was Compulsion, but not to block the Dreams, rather to relate them only to Halima and then to forget having had them.  The headaches were, I think, a side-effect from Egwene subconsciously trying to break through the Compulsion.

Well to begin with we know for a fact that it was not compulsion, but Dreaming , that required Aran'gar to be close. Aran'gar states that in KoD--both that she is blocking Egwene's dreams, and that she cannot find them because she is a weak dreamer and has to be sleeping nearby her victim to have any effect. It is why Egwene has a dream of the Seanchan when Aran'gar is off killing Kairen, and why she regains the ability in the Tower.

We have no basis in any of that to suspect that Aran'gar could steal Egwene's dreams, or that compulsion was so involved--indeed, Egwene showed none of the signs of heavy compulsion. The headaches also began with Lanfear's attack--my guess is that Aran'gar perpetuated them to get close.

According to Aiel code, a gaishain is to serve its captor for a year and a day.  If the captor is killed before the period is over, what would the Aiel code have the gaishain do?

If the captor is captured during the period, would the gaishain still need to serve its captor or would the gaishain need to serve the captor's captor?

Semirhage discovered the technique of channeling through myrddraal to force a channeler to the shadow.  Have the Forsaken (or other darkfriend channelers) discovered uses on channeling through other shadowspawn?

Why does Aviendha not remember being brought back by balefire?  Asmodean immediately remembered, and Mat seemed to later remember.

According to Aiel code, a gaishain is to serve its captor for a year and a day.  If the captor is killed before the period is over, what would the Aiel code have the gaishain do?

If the captor is captured during the period, would the gaishain still need to serve its captor or would the gaishain need to serve the captor's captor?

I think in either case the gaishain would be passed to someone close to the original captor until the year and a day is over.  I'm not 100% sure though...

Semirhage discovered the technique of channeling through myrddraal to force a channeler to the shadow.  Have the Forsaken (or other darkfriend channelers) discovered uses on channeling through other shadowspawn?

As far as we know, that is the only weave done that way.  It's possible that there are others though.

Why does Aviendha not remember being brought back by balefire?  Asmodean immediately remembered, and Mat seemed to later remember.

Asmo was very familiar with the effects of balefire, Mat has had balefire experiences, AFAIK Avi hasn't had the experience the other two would have had. 

Some questions of my own...

Does Mat's medallion/the gholam melt weaves directed at them only or all weaves of the power?  I ask this because if they melt all weaves then couldn't someone with Mat's medallion or a gholam have freed Callandor if they'd gotten to it before Rand did?  For that matter, couldn't you use a gholam to dissolve OP traps/wards?

When Mat is delivering Elayne's letter to Morgase in tDR Morgase reminisces about time spent in Sheriam's study.  I was under the impression that Sheriam was either Accepted or newly raised at the time Morgase was at the WT.  Can anyone clear that up for me, or was it supposed to be a different Mistress of the Novices?

Rand learned spear fighting starting in tSR, anyone else think it would have been cool to see him actually...use it?

I have more, but currently can't think of them.  :D

Some questions of my own...

Does Mat's medallion/the gholam melt weaves directed at them only or all weaves of the power?  I ask this because if they melt all weaves then couldn't someone with Mat's medallion or a gholam have freed Callandor if they'd gotten to it before Rand did?  For that matter, couldn't you use a gholam to dissolve OP traps/wards?

The gholam and Mat's medallion only disperse flows of the One Power that are directed at them. Mat died in Caemlyn by lightning hitting the ground from the sky. We don't know what kind of wards/traps Rand set but I think only a channeler could withdraw it (He did send Narishma to recieve it). He also "joked" with Moiraine about one of the Forsaken trying to take it. Also, the way he shoved it into the Stone seemed to indicate it was with the Power, making it impossible for Mat or the gholam or an other human to take it.

It could be possible to use gholam to dissolve wards, but how can you know where a ward is? Rand set many wards against Shdaowspawn around waygates but those wards allow Trollocs and Myrdraal to pass through but a week later, they're dead. We don't fully understand ow wards/traps work or the effect they'd have on gholam.

When Mat is delivering Elayne's letter to Morgase in tDR Morgase reminisces about time spent in Sheriam's study.  I was under the impression that Sheriam was either Accepted or newly raised at the time Morgase was at the WT.  Can anyone clear that up for me, or was it supposed to be a different Mistress of the Novices?

Morgase became queen at the age of 17 after a two year War of Succession. She was at the Tower from her fourteenth birthday to a little before her sixteenth. Sheriam became Mistress of Novices in 988 so that fits in well with that.

Rand learned spear fighting starting in tSR, anyone else think it would have been cool to see him actually...use it?

It would be, but we have seen some of the hand-to-hand fighting that Lan and Rhuarc taught him when he coolly crushed Rochaid's throat and almost killed him.

Muad Cheade, thanks for trying to answer my questions...you kinda missed the point though..and got some stuff wrong:

The gholam and Mat's medallion only disperse flows of the One Power that are directed at them. Mat died in Caemlyn by lightning hitting the ground from the sky.

The lightning was lightning.  The OP was used to make it, but after it was made, it was lightning, not a weave, so I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Also, the way he shoved it into the Stone seemed to indicate it was with the Power, making it impossible for Mat or the gholam or an other human to take it.

I wasn't implying Mat or the gholam would take Callandor, just that if the medallion/gholam could dissolve the wards, someone else could.

It could be possible to use gholam to dissolve wards, but how can you know where a ward is? Rand set many wards against Shdaowspawn around waygates but those wards allow Trollocs and Myrdraal to pass through but a week later, they're dead. We don't fully understand ow wards/traps work or the effect they'd have on gholam.

You wouldn't need to know where the ward is.  If you assume there are wards, all you would have to do is send in the gholam(s) to dissolve them (like I said, if it's possible).  It's likely that if a gholam set off a ward, it would get dissolved just like other direct weaves.

Morgase became queen at the age of 17 after a two year War of Succession. She was at the Tower from her fourteenth birthday to a little before her sixteenth. Sheriam became Mistress of Novices in 988 so that fits in well with that.

If Gawyn is 18-20, that would put his birth ~980-982 (I have seen estimates that go as far back as 978).  If Taringail married Morgase towards the end/after the succession (remember that he wanted to marry whoever won) and they had Gawyn right away, that means Morgases time @ the Tower would have been over ~978-980 and begun ~976-978 )according to the info you provided).  That would place her time there a full 10-12 years BEFORE Sheriam (by your info) became Mistress of Novices.  So no, it doesn't fit.  :D

Anyone else wanna help with the gholam part?  I think the Morgase part is better now...she obviously meant a different MoN.

Yes, they probably could--though could even the Gholam's strength pull a sword out of stone?

As for the older wardings--it depends on their nature. What did they do, and how did they effect the world? Would the dissipation effect the weave before it stopped the source.

If that seems like I'm coddling, let me point out that Cadsuane has a ter'angreal that can break even distant weaves--she could have reached Callandor any time she chose. Presuming they hadn't prepared for that, which seems unlikely given the uniqueness of her ter'angreal.

Indeed, during Morgase's time at the Tower Sheriam was not Mistress of Novices--I believe RJ has admitted this as a fault and that it has been corrected in later printings.

Bonding against the warder's permission is possible; passing (or making preparations for passing) can be done against the warder's permission.

Could passing be done against the other holder's permission?

Can any of Cadsuane's ornaments be used against a gholam?

If someone tried to take Callandor before the Dragon Reborn did, what would have happened to that someone?

How did the Stone of Tear remain until Rand took Callandor?

Would it be possible to balefire ground?

If so, what would be the effect?  And would the size of the effect depend on the balefire's strength?

Bonding against the warder's permission is possible; passing (or making preparations for passing) can be done against the warder's permission.

If someone tried to take Callandor before the Dragon Reborn did, what would have happened to that someone?

Would it be possible to balefire ground?

If so, what would be the effect?  And would the size of the effect depend on the balefire's strength?

Passing the bond--I suppose so.  :-\

Cadsuane's ter'angreal--the one that dissolves weaves might have an effect on a gholam, as it seems to be similar to Mat's foxhead medallion.

Nothing would have happened to anyone trying to take Callandor before Rand took it the first time--the ward was like a forcefield, like an invisible wall that prevented anyone from touching the sa'angreal, but it did not cause injury. After Rand drove it into the Stone and warded it, it would have caused injury, but we cannot be certain of the nature of the injuries sustained from it. Grievous, I suppose...

The Stone stood because it's basically impregnable and is difficult to lay siege to, requiring a naval blockade as well as infantry. No one probably thought to take it with a small, special operations force, in the middle of the night, during peacetime before.

Balefire--sure, why not? It would vaporize it just like anything else, and of course the effect would depend on the strength of the weave.

You mean another channeler stealing the bond--I don't know. I think it's unlikely. Birgitte tells a story of an Accepted that bonds a man who is 'forced' to transfer the bond to another, which to me seems to suggest that she was the one who had to do it.

Yes, the two intertwined moons are the same as Mat's medallion. Though this does raise the question as to whether the ter'angreal that breaks distant weaves (probably one of the fish) would have an effect.

To the first, all that happens is that their hand cannot reach Callandor. To the second it remained because Tear is incredibly well designed to resist assault.

You mean another channeler stealing the bond--I don't know. I think it's unlikely. Birgitte tells a story of an Accepted that bonds a man who is 'forced' to transfer the bond to another, which to me seems to suggest that she was the one who had to do it.

I understood him to mean passing the bond to an unwilling recipient.  :-\

Archived