DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

you are probably right about Rand drawing a bubble to him. As you say his ta`veren was set on a hole new level.

Why does Ta`veren affect negotiation with the seafolk? Both Mat and Rand had much higher success than anyone else.. Or was it on the same day? And Ta`veren was just so much more powerful that day?

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does Ta`veren affect negotiation with the seafolk? Both Mat and Rand had much higher success than anyone else.

LOL ... the Wheel probably had to suspend probability for anyone to have a chance to get anything through their stuck up heads.  They were literally bargaining with the fate of the World.  Not that that makes them any worse than any of the other schlubs in power, but they were the most open about it.

The scene where Mat "negotiates" with the seafolk is an amazing scene. The coolest part were actually Nyn and Elayne leting him just work his magic, instead of trying to affect it in any way. (I guess they were abit afraid of trying to negotiate with them again..) Obviously his old memories helped out a lot aswell.. not just being Ta`veren.

How did Vering get to be in the position of both the dream terangreal and a weak angreal. are they not well guarded?

Darth Ares: I've been waiting for you, Obi-RAW. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When you left the boards I was but the learner. Now, I am the master!

Obi-RAW Kenobi: Only a master of evil, Darth!

one thing i just started wondering: in Fires of Heaven during the battle of Cairhien with the Shaido we see Egwene using the Force Power as a weapon.

that's all fine and dandy but the Aiel think that Egwene is an Aes Sedai, so they must also think that she applys to the three oaths.

how come they are not questioning her about bypassing the no killing oath which they must think she is bound to?

Not sure how much they know about the 3 oaths, but remember at that time they still help the Aes Sedai in awe (or high regard)still.  Most wouldn't question anything an Aes Sedai did.

they would have no problem with questioning Egwene about it, as she is first and foremost a Dreamer in training andAes Sedai second in the eyes of the Aiel at this point.

i can't understand why no one said "hey, she's doing something that should be physically impossible for an Aes Sedai to do. i wonder why?"

How did Vering get to be in the position of both the dream terangreal and a weak angreal. are they not well guarded?

The dream ter'angreal was removed by Corianin and hidden elsewhere--there weren't even records that it ever existed. So no, it was not guarded. Just hidden.

As for the angreal, maybe she found it elsewhere. She wouldn't be the only one--Elaida has three sisters strapped for concealing angreal, and we know of one other.

Okay, the Egwene situation in FoH might be a. a woopsie on RJ's part or b. here's the answer you might get, if egwene were an oathbound sister she could convince herself that she is defending herself because Culadin will hunt down and kill everyone that follows Rand.

Or the Aiel really don't care about the Oaths ...

that's not really an answer that satisfies me.

we see them caring a bit when a Wise one finds Egwene in TAR on her own and mentions the lying oath, because she had promised not go out on hr own.

i don't understand how noone saw that she might not be Aes Seadi as she claims by that

we see them caring a bit when a Wise one finds Egwene in TAR on her own and mentions the lying oath, because she had promised not go out on hr own.

Thats actually an excellent example of how little they care about the Oaths.

Amys mentions, in passing, that she did not think Aes Sedai could lie.  (TSR ch 35)  But then she just treats Egwene the same way that she would treat any other apprentice, and never brings up the Oaths bit again.  Its almost as if she thinks to herself, "Hm, that was a little odd.  Oh well." and moves on.  She knew that there was an Oath, but it didn't really concern her; she was more concerned with Egwene's actual action, not whether or not lying meant she couldn't be Aes Sedai.

Does Mat remember using the ashandarei in the other mens memories?
Given his instant proficiency, it seems likely.

Or that might be due to the fact that he was already very skilled with a quarterstaff, skilled enough to beat both Galad and Gawyn while he was injured (Sort of), I imagine using the ashandarei isnt such a huge change from a quarterstaff.

Does Mat remember using the ashandarei in the other mens memories?
Given his instant proficiency, it seems likely.

Or that might be due to the fact that he was already very skilled with a quarterstaff, skilled enough to beat both Galad and Gawyn while he was injured (Sort of), I imagine using the ashandarei isnt such a huge change from a quarterstaff.

Its a premise that Jordan borrows again, early in Crossroads of Twilight Perrin notes that the Two Rivers men used their quarterstaff skills in handling their new polearms.

Getting the basics from expertice with a similar weapon is one thing, but Mat is pretty much instantly an expert with the ashandarei, which strongly suggests him getting a bit of help from his memories.

It is similar to a quarterstaff, yes. But the added blade does make quite a difference.

Yes, particularly the slight curve of the blade would make the balance different than the regular balance of a quarterstaff, and that fact that the ends are different would make using the weapon very different in battle.  Considering that he had never seen an ashandarei before getting his own in Rhuidean, his instant competence has to be from his implanted memories.

The ashandarei is, for all intents and purposes, a naginata.  Having handled both weapons (staff and naginata), I can personally attest to the differences in using them.

Archived